New AAC Schedule for 2020

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
Post Reply
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 2237
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:31 pm

Assuming SEC going in conference only the AAC should also play only AAC conference teams .

Thank you , again , U Cant for dropping out and creating a perfect round robin .

If we play eleven Mr Dannen has a difficult decision having to tell Army or SELA sorry .


Make the Coming Semesters Memorable
User avatar
nawlinspete
Swell
Posts: 2237
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:43 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:32 pm

It is done SEC 10 games conference teams only.

Expect AAC to fall in line almost immediately . Easy , and perfect , for our conference .
Make the Coming Semesters Memorable
Bicoastalwave
Swell
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:43 pm

UConn wil not be able to fill our their schedule and are being PUNISHED by covid. It’s rather amusing in a vindictive kind of way ;)

Anyway back to us- I am sure Aresco is on the phone and it would be great to have BYU fill in their gaps with Houston/SMU/Tulsa/Tulane etc
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 3039
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:47 pm

Bicoastalwave wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:43 pm
UConn wil not be able to fill our their schedule and are being PUNISHED by covid. It’s rather amusing in a vindictive kind of way ;)

Anyway back to us- I am sure Aresco is on the phone and it would be great to have BYU fill in their gaps with Houston/SMU/Tulsa/Tulane etc
I hope you're right--BYU would be a nice add. It makes a lot of sense if they could schedule up the AAC west schools.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Dave breslin
Surge
Posts: 958
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:51 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:58 pm

Maybe I’m stupid ( no response please), but what’s the advantage of playing conference only games? Are we cleaner than other conferences?
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 16125
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:00 pm

Dave what they are thinking in playing only fellow conference members is that you will be playing teams that are all using the same safety protocols . Also, by limiting it to 10 games they get another bye week to be able to use in case some teams can't play one week because of an outbreak. Easy to reschedule if everyone is in the same conference.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5842
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:13 pm

winwave wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:00 pm
Dave what they are thinking in playing only fellow conference members is that you will be playing teams that are all using the same safety protocols . Also, by limiting it to 10 games they get another bye week to be able to use in case some teams can't play one week because of an outbreak. Easy to reschedule if everyone is in the same conference.
The secondary issue for the P5’s money. Most of their non-conf games are pay games and with limited or zero fans, it is not worth pay a team huge money to take their beating.
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9808
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:29 pm

Bicoastalwave wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:43 pm
Anyway back to us- I am sure Aresco is on the phone and it would be great to have BYU fill in their gaps with Houston/SMU/Tulsa/Tulane etc
I disagree. I think 11 teams sets up perfectly for a round robin where each team plays the other 10 teams. Why do we want to add a team like BYU that is so far out of our footprint? They'd be a short 1100 miles from Tulsa, 1200 miles from Dallas, 1400 miles from Houston and a mere 1700 miles from New Orleans. But what the hell, we need BYU for one season to F up the perfect 11 team round robin.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Dave breslin
Surge
Posts: 958
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:51 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:47 pm

I still don’t get it We don’t play SELA because....,? But we will play Memphis/smu/etc. ? This whole thing sounds like a total FU.
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9808
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:28 pm

Dave breslin wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:47 pm
I still don’t get it We don’t play SELA because....,? But we will play Memphis/smu/etc. ? This whole thing sounds like a total FU.
Because some teams lost more games than others, and this will standardize the schedule along with the protocols within the entire conference. Most of the P5 have already adapted a conference-only schedule, some of starting early ("week 0") some starting as late as week 4. It's a crapshoot to try to get the season in, and since the NCAA couldn't (or wouldn't) set a universal standard, it was put back to the conferences to make a decision.

As of this moment we all speculate that the AAC will go to a 10 game over 12 week in conference only schedule. But it hasn't been announced yet, so who knows what tomorrow brings? What's not happening (by the conferences that have announced their plan) is regional out-of-conference match ups They need the extra weeks to re-schedule games as/if/when needed. Besides, why should Tulane pay SELA when we're not seeing revenue from the game?
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
Dave breslin
Surge
Posts: 958
Joined: Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:51 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:09 pm

So...is it about money. Well-so much for that STUDENT athlete bologna that the NCAA promotes. Not that I am shocked.
gbgreenie
High Tide
Posts: 400
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:12 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:21 am

Dave breslin wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:09 pm
So...is it about money. Well-so much for that STUDENT athlete bologna that the NCAA promotes. Not that I am shocked.
All sports should postpone to the spring think of the message we are sending to our young students and student athletes. Ok all students need to wear mask and social distance, no parties or group gatherings even athletes as students must follow that rule or get suspended from the University. But student athletes forget about those rules and guidelines, you can play football, tackle lay under a pile of players after getting tackled no social distancing and no mask. Ok what about the health of the student athletes and the mix signals sent to the rest of the students in the University. We will penalyze the general student population but football and sport practice and games is different. Why, the money and only the money. What has this society come to one set of rules for athletes and different set of rules for the general population. What happens if a student athlete gets caught at a party will he be suspended as a student for doing something he could do without suspension on the football field. We need to look each other in the eye and say what the hell are we doing as a Society!!!
Bicoastalwave
Swell
Posts: 1729
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:20 am

DfromCT wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:29 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:43 pm
Anyway back to us- I am sure Aresco is on the phone and it would be great to have BYU fill in their gaps with Houston/SMU/Tulsa/Tulane etc
I disagree. I think 11 teams sets up perfectly for a round robin where each team plays the other 10 teams. Why do we want to add a team like BYU that is so far out of our footprint? They'd be a short 1100 miles from Tulsa, 1200 miles from Dallas, 1400 miles from Houston and a mere 1700 miles from New Orleans. But what the hell, we need BYU for one season to F up the perfect 11 team round robin.
Because of ratings, desperation, prestige and future prospects of getting them into the conference. We don’t want to go conference only if we can add ratings. Our conference (or almost any other conference) is long past giving a crud about distance (within reason). Why is the sec canceling local games to go to Missouri ? Why are instate acc/sec games being cancelled ?


No one had the capital (political, financial, judicial) to literally force regional scheduling and bubbles. . . Otherwise it’s not going happen. . . We will play 2-3 games before the season is postponed
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9808
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:09 am

Bicoastalwave wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:20 am
DfromCT wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:29 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:43 pm
Anyway back to us- I am sure Aresco is on the phone and it would be great to have BYU fill in their gaps with Houston/SMU/Tulsa/Tulane etc
I disagree. I think 11 teams sets up perfectly for a round robin where each team plays the other 10 teams. Why do we want to add a team like BYU that is so far out of our footprint? They'd be a short 1100 miles from Tulsa, 1200 miles from Dallas, 1400 miles from Houston and a mere 1700 miles from New Orleans. But what the hell, we need BYU for one season to F up the perfect 11 team round robin.
Because of ratings, desperation, prestige and future prospects of getting them into the conference. We don’t want to go conference only if we can add ratings. Our conference (or almost any other conference) is long past giving a crud about distance (within reason). Why is the sec canceling local games to go to Missouri ? Why are instate acc/sec games being cancelled ?


No one had the capital (political, financial, judicial) to literally force regional scheduling and bubbles. . . Otherwise it’s not going happen. . . We will play 2-3 games before the season is postponed
I agree with everything you say, once you get past BYU. Yes, they're a bit of a known name in college football. But do they bring ratings? Seriously, I don't know anyone that says "BYU is playing this afternoon, I can't wait." They're WAY WAY WAY off the beaten path, and it's not just football, it's all sports. I would 100000% prefer to play a 10 team AAC round robin than to bring BYU into the mix for a year knowing BYU doesn't give a crap about joining the AAC, and we don't need them.

In-state and ACC/SEC games are being cancelled for many reasons discussed earlier in the thread. Things are not normal; this is going to be an irregular (and probably very short) season. The conferences are doing what they can to get as many conference games in to try to hold onto the TV revenue when some are losing upwards of $100 million in gameday related revenues (that has nothing to do with TV $) due to no fans at the games. Yes, there are a number of schools, mostly in the P5, that generate multiples of their over-inflated TV revenue with gameday related revenues.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 16125
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:29 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:13 pm
winwave wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:00 pm
Dave what they are thinking in playing only fellow conference members is that you will be playing teams that are all using the same safety protocols . Also, by limiting it to 10 games they get another bye week to be able to use in case some teams can't play one week because of an outbreak. Easy to reschedule if everyone is in the same conference.
The secondary issue for the P5’s money. Most of their non-conf games are pay games and with limited or zero fans, it is not worth pay a team huge money to take their beating.
Problem is since they are going to play other games it will be hard to hide behind force majeure clauses.
Last edited by winwave on Fri Jul 31, 2020 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 9808
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:46 am

winwave wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:29 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:13 pm
winwave wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 5:00 pm
Dave what they are thinking in playing only fellow conference members is that you will be playing teams that are all using the same safety protocols . Also, by limiting it to 10 games they get another bye week to be able to use in case some teams can't play one week because of an outbreak. Easy to reschedule if everyone is in the same conference.
The secondary issue for the P5’s money. Most of their non-conf games are pay games and with limited or zero fans, it is not worth pay a team huge money to take their beating.
Problem is since they are going to play other games it will be hard to hide behind force majuere clauses.
win, you are a lawyer and probably know better than me. But it seems a logical counter argument was that the force majuere was what caused the change in plans. It's not by any stretch of the imagination "normal" this season. I don't think anyone would argue that this season, if it even starts, is already different from anything the College Football world has ever encountered, and that all aspects of life have been altered by an unforeseeable force beyond anyone's control.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 16125
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:49 am

Yet they are going to play if allowed and they will travel to games. So those teams that get cut out have a good argument. They may not get the full amount but they have a strong position to get a nice chunk of it. Some may not seek it because they fear being cut out going forward. We'll see.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
Post Reply