ULL going to New Orleans Bowl again

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

4th straight NO bowl. Looks like ULL has reached it's ceiling.
http://www.nola.com/nobowl/index.ssf/20 ... cart_river

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

tpstulane wrote:4th straight NO bowl. Looks like ULL has reached it's ceiling.
You wish. Gotta crawl before you walk and we were down for a lot of decades. Hud is currently 35-16 in his 4th year and is staying put for the time being which is fine with me.

*its ;)
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Hudspeth signed a six year extension in June, at a base salary of $950k. He sure showed us last year which team was better prepared to start the Bowl game. Also, Tulane hasn't EVER been to a bowl game four years in a row.

Bottom line is that UL-L has their program on a more solid foundation than we do. I really don't care to follow the SBC (it's tough enough being a Tulane fan), but they're making the most of what they have to work with, while Tulane doesn't know how to get out of its' own way.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:4th straight NO bowl. Looks like ULL has reached it's ceiling.
That is highly wishful thinking. The ULL leadership has its sights set on bigger and the investments are just starting to pay off. With the Cowen/Dickson show on display forever ULL will pass us up as the consensus #2 athletics program in LA within about 5 years. I'm sure 5 years ago close to 0% of people would have thought such a thing possible.

The same people talking down at ULL's progress over the past 5 years are the same folks who think Tulane is moving in the right direction without a tangible argument supporting that.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote:Hudspeth signed a six year extension in June, at a base salary of $950k. He sure showed us last year which team was better prepared to start the Bowl game. Also, Tulane hasn't EVER been to a bowl game four years in a row.

Bottom line is that UL-L has their program on a more solid foundation than we do. I really don't care to follow the SBC (it's tough enough being a Tulane fan), but they're making the most of what they have to work with, while Tulane doesn't know how to get out of its' own way.
This. ULL is a more serious and successful athletic program by literally every single measure, except they don't have the benefit of every natural resource imaginable that Cowen/Dickson have managed to squander.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Boise State went to 3 straight Humanitarian Bowls out of the Big Sky Conference before they went on their run.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

jonathanjoseph wrote:
DfromCT wrote:Hudspeth signed a six year extension in June, at a base salary of $950k. He sure showed us last year which team was better prepared to start the Bowl game. Also, Tulane hasn't EVER been to a bowl game four years in a row.

This. ULL is a more serious and successful athletic program by literally every single measure, except they don't have the benefit of every natural resource imaginable that Cowen/Dickson have managed to squander.

Every now and then, JJ, we find common ground. i think this is one of those occasions.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Bottom line is that UL-L has their program on a more solid foundation than we do. I really don't care to follow the SBC (it's tough enough being a Tulane fan), but they're making the most of what they have to work with.................
Thanks for the kind words D. A lot of work yet to do though it's gratifying to see things slowly but surely getting turned around. If we have anywhere the success we had last year in baseball, softball, and basketball, I'll be tickled.
ajcalhoun: Nobody here gives a flying fuck about UL-L and the Sunbelt Conference.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

cajunfanatico wrote:

Bottom line is that UL-L has their program on a more solid foundation than we do. I really don't care to follow the SBC (it's tough enough being a Tulane fan), but they're making the most of what they have to work with.................
Thanks for the kind words D. A lot of work yet to do though it's gratifying to see things slowly but surely getting turned around. If we have anywhere the success we had last year in baseball, softball, and basketball, I'll be tickled.
Don't count on your football team spending most of the season in the top 10 anytime soon. That's just not happening. We had the season from the football Gods in 1998 and didn't crack the top 10 until our bowl victory finished the year 13-0.
cajunfanatico
Swell

DfromCT wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

Don't count on your football team spending most of the season in the top 10 anytime soon. That's just not happening. We had the season from the football Gods in 1998 and didn't crack the top 10 until our bowl victory finished the year 13-0.
Dave, I have no illusions about our football team doing anything like that in the foreseeable future. The odds are stacked against all of us in the G5's. But what we can attempt to do is to continue to perform well on the field during the season and hopefully in post season play, continue to work on expanding the fan base and facilities and prepare the program for when consolidation eventually hits.

While Uab's situation is probably unique, I believe that the changes taking place above us will eventually trickle down to the rest of us and force a lot of cost-cutting at our level. The weaker programs may eventually be forced to cash in their football chips.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

+1
That's what I was trying to point out. The New Orleans Bowl is top's for the SBC Champ.
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

+1
That's what I was trying to point out. The New Orleans Bowl is top's for the SBC Champ.
First off, the Cajuns aren't Sunbelt Champs this year, we finished second. We are pleased though that the New Orleans bowl will likely give the Cajun program strong consideration as long as we're bowl eligible and in a conference affiliated with that bowl.

Finally, the New Orleans bowl is absoluetly NOT TOPS for the SBC Champ under the current configuration of the college playoff system. Finish with a decent enough record and the Access Bowl would be tops.

Thanks though for your continued interest in Cajun Athletics. :D
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yes I know the Cajuns are going to the NO Bowl because the champ Georgia Southern is ineligible from bowl games this season since moving up.
The weak SBC schedule limits any access bowl. Look at Marshall this year. You'd have to go 13-0 to get any shot.
That's not likely to happen for any school.
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

tpstulane wrote:Yes I know the Cajuns are going to the NO Bowl because the champ Georgia Southern is ineligible from bowl games this season since moving up.
The weak SBC schedule limits any access bowl. Look at Marshall this year. You'd have to go 13-0 to get any shot.
For this past year, 12-0 with road wins at ranked Ole Miss and Boise State would definitely have put the Cajuns in strong contention for the Access Bowl. Marshall played a terribly weak schedule with no P5's and a bunch of weak G5's. No comparison.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

cajunfanatico wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Yes I know the Cajuns are going to the NO Bowl because the champ Georgia Southern is ineligible from bowl games this season since moving up.
For this past year, 12-0 with road wins at ranked Ole Miss and Boise State would definitely have put the Cajuns in strong contention for the Access Bowl. Marshall played a terribly weak schedule with no P5's and a bunch of weak G5's. No comparison.
Playing them vs beating them is another story. Like I said it's rare for anyone to go unbeaten.
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
Playing them vs beating them is another story. Like I said it's rare for anyone to go unbeaten.
Nor did I say it was easy. The point is though, with the current structure, there will be a G5 rep. each year in the Access Bowl. This year the Access Bowl G5 rep will not be an undefeated team. And while the Sunbelt is often viewed as the weakest non-AQ conference, that is not always the case in the eyes of the NCAA, like last year, when the Sunbelt finished first amongst the non-AQ's.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

cajunfanatico wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
Nor did I say it was easy. The point is though, with the current structure, there will be a G5 rep. each year in the Access Bowl. This year the Access Bowl G5 rep will not be an undefeated team. And while the Sunbelt is often viewed as the weakest non-AQ conference, that is not always the case in the eyes of the NCAA, like last year, when the Sunbelt finished first amongst the non-AQ's.
Yes. Anything is possible but for the most part the SBC puts a ceiling on ULL.
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

tpstulane wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
Okay, I'll contact the athletic department and tell them it's time to just give up. Thanks for the advice.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

cajunfanatico wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:
Okay, I'll contact the athletic department and tell them it's time to just give up. Thanks for the advice.
No. It's not what I'm saying. The NO Bowl is the pinnacle for SBC teams. That's just they way it is.
Tulane Class of 1981
cajunfanatico
Swell

tpstulane wrote: No. It's not what I'm saying. The NO Bowl is the pinnacle for SBC teams. That's just they way it is.
Okay, if you say so. But guess what? I'm fine with it at the moment because it's in no way holding us back.

Not too many years ago Cajun football was consistently going 3-9 year in year out and the fans just got numb to it and quit demanding or expecting better. I believe we were averaging around 12,000 paid attendance for home games. Today we're not happy if we don't have a decent season and get a bowl invite and attendance has more than doubled. And let me tell you, as it relates to the NO Bowl, playing in New Orleans on national TV with 40,000+ dressed in red is not exactly chopped liver. It's been a great venue to promote our athletic program and we thank the City of New Orleans and the SuperDome for the opportunity.

As I've said before, we've got a lot of work to do but the groundwork is being laid. The stadium has been expanded to 36,000 seats with more improvements in the pipeline. We need to increase our home attendance above a 30,000 average which is hard to do with one or two midweek games per season. But again, most of our problems will take care of themselves if we can continue to take care of business on the field.
MicMan
Swell

Wasn't ULALA top-ranked in baseball last year? The football and baseball put them ahead of us as it is. Them's the facts.
cajunfanatico
Swell

MicMan wrote:Wasn't ULALA top-ranked in baseball last year? The football and baseball put them ahead of us as it is. Them's the facts.
We were ranked No. 1 for multiple weeks, hosted a regional (where we eliminated Miss State) and hosted a super regional where we lost to Ole Miss in game 3.

Softball played in the Women's College World Series, again.

We made the NCAA big dance as well.

It was a good year to be a Cajun fan.
Fred Dowler
Riptide

cajunfanatico wrote:
MicMan wrote:Wasn't ULALA top-ranked in baseball last year? The football and baseball put them ahead of us as it is. Them's the facts.
We were ranked No. 1 for multiple weeks, hosted a regional (where we eliminated Miss State) and hosted a super regional where we lost to Ole Miss in game 3.

The only team in the state to make it to The Tournament, right?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
cajunfanatico
Swell

Fred Dowler wrote:
cajunfanatico wrote:

The only team in the state to make it to The Tournament, right?
I do believe that to be the case.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

cajunfanatico wrote: Nor did I say it was easy. The point is though, with the current structure, there will be a G5 rep. each year in the Access Bowl. This year the Access Bowl G5 rep will not be an undefeated team. And while the Sunbelt is often viewed as the weakest non-AQ conference, that is not always the case in the eyes of the NCAA, like last year, when the Sunbelt finished first amongst the non-AQ's.
I'd like to see your source on this, Cajunfanatico.

Also, if that were the case, why did the conference champs, UL-L not get a better bowl bid than the NO Bowl? You can't have it both ways. If the SBC was the top rated G5 conference as you say, yet the NO Bowl was the best invite, that kind of makes other's points that the SBC has almost zero chance to gain the Access Bowl.