LSU Fball operations building

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

https://247sports.com/college/lsu/Artic ... 134012702/

The way they talk makes me sick. It is so disingenuous. Just say it the way it is, LSU is about athletics first. Ya I am sure donors give 1.5 times to academics, dear god. The academics are crumbling and u build a $30mm fball operations building then are surprised at the outrage. Only in Louisiana .

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

If I am not mistaken (which has been the case often lately!) LSU Athletics runs at a surplus due to the SEC TV money, They actually contribute quite a few million dollars to the LSU budget annually, where as 90% of FBS schools run an athletics department at a deficit, including Tulane. UConn was/is running a $40 million athletics deficit which is their reason for leaving the AAC.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:51 am If I am not mistaken (which has been the case often lately!) LSU Athletics runs at a surplus due to the SEC TV money, They actually contribute quite a few million dollars to the LSU budget annually, where as 90% of FBS schools run an athletics department at a deficit, including Tulane. UConn was/is running a $40 million athletics deficit which is their reason for leaving the AAC.
Not looking to tun this into a continuing thread. I just wanted to point out what the professor is saying here. The people who talk about LSU Athletics having so much revenue that they give some to Academics never take into account the expenses they're not paying for. If the athletic department had to lease the land and facilities the way any independent business does, the cost would be more than the actual money they give to the school.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:46 am
DfromCT wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:51 am If I am not mistaken (which has been the case often lately!) LSU Athletics runs at a surplus due to the SEC TV money, They actually contribute quite a few million dollars to the LSU budget annually, where as 90% of FBS schools run an athletics department at a deficit, including Tulane. UConn was/is running a $40 million athletics deficit which is their reason for leaving the AAC.
Not looking to tun this into a continuing thread. I just wanted to point out what the professor is saying here. The people who talk about LSU Athletics having so much revenue that they give some to Academics never take into account the expenses they're not paying for. If the athletic department had to lease the land and facilities the way any independent business does, the cost would be more than the actual money they give to the school.
That's a pretty big IF, and questionable at best. Does ANY college charge their athletics department rent for facilities? No, their all part of the same corporation. Does Tulane charge the football program to rent Yulman? I think not. Sorry, but that's weaker than a weak argument.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RobertM320
Green Wave

D, my point was, they can't talk about the Athletic Dept being so profitable that they give money to the Academic side, if part of the reason they're profitable is because the Academic side is footing a bunch of the expenses.

What they were saying is, if the athletic dept were to be a "totally independent entity", it would not be nearly as "profitable" as they think it is. A totally independent entity would have expenses the athletic department isn't having to pay right now, as part of the university. Example being leasing or construction of facilities.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson