Coaching Changes

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:01 pm
JerseyWave wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:51 pm Fritz signed a contract extension at the beginning of the season and I would love to know what the buyout is. Could be a lucrative payday for Tulane if he leaves. Maybe the 6-7 win threshold is as far as he will take Tulane, but there have been several losses over the past five years I pin on his coaching failures.
memo to Willie...."Go West Young Man"......
But, we have beaten Memphis 2 of the last 3 years? And, when was the last time we beat Memphis 2 out of 3 years? 🙋🏻‍♂️ Oh, a little over 20 years ago in the late 1990s. And, Scelfo only beat Memphis once and “Buffet” Bob Toledo & CJ never beat them at all? And, we have beaten Tulsa 3 of the last 4 years. And, when was the last time that happened with Tulsa? - Never.🤷🏻‍♂️

Wave Fan
Low Tide

Navy, SMU, and Tulsa should have been wins this year. Players have to make plays down the stretch in those games. We had multiple opportunities in each game to make a play that would have won it. Got to keep recruiting good playmakers.
JDTulane
Riptide

Shaun? Rich Rod? What decade am I living in?

And after the way RR treated us (after we treated him similarly before that)... both parties are better off apart.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Rather shockingly Blake Anderson the coach at Arkansas State is about to be hired by Utah state. If willie had been hired away I think he would have been on the short list. Kind of bizarre for him to take very much a lateral move. His pay last year was $825k and Utah state payed their last coach $900k.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:17 pm Rather shockingly Blake Anderson the coach at Arkansas State is about to be hired by Utah state. If willie had been hired away I think he would have been on the short list. Kind of bizarre for him to take very much a lateral move. His pay last year was $825k and Utah state payed their last coach $900k.
I agree..in Utah State he has to put up with BYU and Utah, and recruiting there can be one hel of a pain in the azz. @ Ark State he put up with Arkansas and had Texas (juco), Louisiana, Mississippi (juco) to get his players
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Willie mention for Kansas to replace Miles.
https://theathletic.com/2436765/2021/03 ... andidates/
Tulane head coach Willie Fritz could be a great fit, as he has all kinds of experience in the state and the region — from playing at Pittsburg State to being a high school coach and junior college coach in Kansas to his success at Central Missouri and several other head coaching stops. But he recently signed a contract extension through 2026. Tulane is a private school, so the buyout details aren’t public. Is it too expensive for Kansas?
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

Wavetime wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:26 am Just thinking out loud on this beautiful Sunday Morning... I've always been much more of a Les Miles fan than an LSU fan (heck, I'm not an LSU fan!). I've always thought that Les had integrity.
This quote did not age very well.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:10 pm
Wavetime wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:26 am Just thinking out loud on this beautiful Sunday Morning... I've always been much more of a Les Miles fan than an LSU fan (heck, I'm not an LSU fan!). I've always thought that Les had integrity.
This quote did not age very well.
Wow!
🤦‍♂️
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
MicMan
Swell

Let CWF go, promote the best young assistant. Tired of the same HC insecurity.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:25 pm Let CWF go, promote the best young assistant. Tired of the same HC insecurity.
Nobody posting on this board has restrained him from leaving. It's an internet bulletin board. We talk about whatever the F we feel like. I personally don't think Fritz is a very attractive candidate for a P5 job. I've been wrong before and will be again, but if I'm an AD, especially one that hired Les Miles, I'm not hiring someone 10 games under .500 in his current conference.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Profoundwizard
Swell

MicMan wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:25 pm Let CWF go, promote the best young assistant. Tired of the same HC insecurity.
If Fritz leaves, we better not just promote the best young assistant
ajcalhoun
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:35 pm If Fritz leaves, we better not just promote the best young assistant
Vince Gibson and Chris Scelfo whole-heartedly agree!

I'm kidding. I'm not saying anyone on our staff is the equal of Lindy Infante or RichRod. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity. It's what we smartass pricks do.
God Bless Everyone!
Bigschtick
Riptide

Here we go again. From what I am reading, he is their number candidate and I suspect he is will be going. All this talk about him staying because he likes New Orleans or his age means nothing, Some think he walks on water.
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

He is definitely on their short list. He has been an excellent force and rebuilder at Tulane. I hope he stays. Bill Clark would be my first call as he has dominated Conference USA for 5 years with Zerp resources.

I do agree his .500 record and 60 year old age would scare off most P5 suitors until Michael Pratt wins him 8+ games (this year or next). Kansas is trash and needs a rebuilder and someone Home grown because they won’t get a splash name (billy Napier).

My hope is the toxicity of the program, the fact the AD will likely
be fired shortly, the rise of Michael Pratt to finally give him
A Qb to attain his AAC goals will be enough to keep him at Tulane.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:05 am My hope is the toxicity of the program, the fact the AD will likely
be fired shortly, the rise of Michael Pratt to finally give him
A Qb to attain his AAC goals will be enough to keep him at Tulane.
My hope is Kansas doesn't offer. If they do he's a gone pecan.
God Bless Everyone!
wave97
Swell

Larry Smith left Tulane after spring drills for a sudden vacancy of the football staff at the University of Arizona in may of 1980. The head coach of UA, Tony Mason, was ultimately found not guilty of charges directed at him by a single administrator within the athletic dept.
Those early 1980's teams were absolutely loaded with future NFL players & with very few exceptions, were coached by a bunch of patchwork dogs who squandered a very talent rich team for the next three years.
I have a lot more trust in Dannen & Fitts than Wall & Kelley. I actually think we'll be ok.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 2:30 pm
Nobody posting on this board has restrained him from leaving. It's an internet bulletin board. We talk about whatever the F we feel like. I personally don't think Fritz is a very attractive candidate for a P5 job. I've been wrong before and will be again, but if I'm an AD, especially one that hired Les Miles, I'm not hiring someone 10 games under .500 in his current conference.
+1,000. ....and someone who had three spectacular collapses during the past season.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
MicMan
Swell

Rodney Holman, Don Maggs, Burnell Dent, Lionel Washington had extended NFL careers, who am I missing from early 80s "absolutely loaded" teams?
billow
High Tide

Bubby Brister, Jim Boyle, Marcus Anderson, just to name a few
wave97
Swell

MicMan wrote:Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:51 pm Rodney Holman, Don Maggs, Burnell Dent, Lionel Washington had extended NFL careers, who am I missing from early 80s "absolutely loaded" teams?
James Campen, Ron Tilton, Eric Thomas (Walley English recruit), Bubby Brister., Ken Karcher,
Two and a half years is the average. There was a tight end/H-back from California who played on rosters I forgot his name. Ron Tilton was offered a contract after his first season with the Redskins, he was a valuable player, he could play any position on the o-line. He walked away.
exflash
High Tide

If the Tulane coach left would they offer Napier from UL? Man the Cajuns have been through these leaving possibilities about 6 times this year....Don’t let the green grass fool ya!
ajcalhoun
Swell

exflash wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:37 pm If the Tulane coach left would they offer Napier from UL? Man the Cajuns have been through these leaving possibilities about 6 times this year....Don’t let the green grass fool ya!
Napier turned down South Carolina, Auburn, and Tennessee. He aint coming here. He's biding his time hoping Orgeron gets canned soon or Saban retires. He can't wait forever but he has shown that he will be very particular about where he goes next.
God Bless Everyone!
DrBox
Riptide

Exflash knows he's not coming here. He's just trying to rile something up to bring to his cajuns board.
We'd go interim. No Rich Rods or Infantes to pass on this time.
Houma de Wave
Swell

Don’t know if it was posted, but AD Jeff Long is out at Kansas.