UCONN exit from the AAC to cost them $17 million

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:45 am I do. But like I said where there's a will there's a way.
Ya, what way is that. Buyout 5 games a year for 3-4 years all while FBall is only making about $5mm max from the AAC TV contract? Oh, ESPN will handle it cause they care enough.
U are talking about multiple P5 buyouts, some mid season. That should be easy. If u look around OOC scheduling is taking place way into the future, asking people to change is going to cost, a ton. Lets just look at 2021:

P5’s: UTAH, Az State, Baylor, WSU, Virginia, USC, that’s six for those counting.

i am sure two of those schools would need $1mm to cancel. Then u have Boise St. Never-mind the rest of ur schedule that has to see contracts torn up and at what cost?

I know, if there is a will there is a way. Then there is reality. Oh so 2022 has 5 P5’s and multiple return dates for G5’s. The 2023 has 6 P5’s. Sure they can make it work as they have the massive $5mm payout from the AAC vs maintaining their independence and paying nothing as far as buyouts and burning bridges.
Sure there is a will for all these schools to help BYU/AAC scramble to fill their voids. Should work out fine, cause there is will.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

LOL. You're getting all worked up about nothing. All I did was post an article that showed the pros of them coming. It was on topic and so I just threw it out there. I seriously doubt it will happen. There's a lot of issues with BYU and scheduling is just one of them. As to scheduling Tulane was once an independent and moved into a conference. It got worked out.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:56 am LOL. You're getting all worked up about nothing. All I did was post an article that showed the pros of them coming. It was on topic and so I just threw it out there. I seriously doubt it will happen. There's a lot of issues with BYU and scheduling is just one of them. As to scheduling Tulane was once an independent and moved into a conference. It got worked out.
Just messing around. Adding BYU Fball and VCU Bball would be the inly viable move right now IMO.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:59 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:34 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:08 pm But going forward, watch out for the services academies now that it looks like any pro caliber players will be allowed to delay their mandatory service obligation until their pro career is over. This may well enable them to start attracting much better athletes--which combined with huge numbers of recruits and the pageantry at each academy, will make for very stiff competition for other schools.
Houston-where did you see that? There was a good military player in just the last couple of years that was required to meet his commitment and couldn't got to the NFL right away as they had tightened things up on such waivers. McCallum and Robinson got them but that was long ago. I agree with D that even if they are going back to letting such players go pro before having to fill their commitment that it won't really change things as many just don't want to take the chance of risking their lives in military service.
Academy pro player waiver proposal
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your ... o-careers/
Thanks golf.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:23 am
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 1:08 pm But going forward, watch out for the services academies now that it looks like any pro caliber players will be allowed to delay their mandatory service obligation until their pro career is over. This may well enable them to start attracting much better athletes--which combined with huge numbers of recruits and the pageantry at each academy, will make for very stiff competition for other schools.
Houston-where did you see that? There was a good military player in just the last couple of years that was required to meet his commitment and couldn't got to the NFL right away as they had tightened things up on such waivers. McCallum and Robinson got them but that was long ago. I agree with D that even if they are going back to letting such players go pro before having to fill their commitment that it won't really change things as many just don't want to take the chance of risking their lives in military service.
Thanks golf.
There were several links avaialbe, most had the same content..I am waiting for the SEC to post ".come play now and go to class at a later date"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:57 am
Thanks golf.
There were several links avaialbe, most had the same content..I am waiting for the SEC to post ".come play now and go to class at a later date"
I think you're on to something Golf. Let them earn tuition vouchers for each year that they participate with the program.
They can choose to redeem them or sell them as they see fit. Would be quite a boost for the more academically inclined programs.
" Our 4 first round draft picks can matriculate at Tulane. Or not...."
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 4:34 pm Houston-where did you see that? There was a good military player in just the last couple of years that was required to meet his commitment and couldn't got to the NFL right away as they had tightened things up on such waivers. McCallum and Robinson got them but that was long ago. I agree with D that even if they are going back to letting such players go pro before having to fill their commitment that it won't really change things as many just don't want to take the chance of risking their lives in military service.
Keenan Reynolds?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That may be the one. Thanks.
wave97
Swell

Thanks golf.
This should be called the Go-Die-In-My-Place waiver. It stinks.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I can see a number of good recruits reconsidering the academies, if there is no barrier to pursuing a pro career upon graduation. The national following, career opportunities and historic pageantry of the academies shouldn’t be underestimated. There will be an incremental difference in who the academies will be able to attract.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Aberzombie1892
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:44 pm I can see a number of good recruits reconsidering the academies, if there is no barrier to pursuing a pro career upon graduation. The national following, career opportunities and historic pageantry of the academies shouldn’t be underestimated. There will be an incremental difference in who the academies will be able to attract.
I think some recruits will not want to be on the hook for military service regardless. The policy change would only impact players that would potentially totally be drafted based on their performance, and, given the quality of the service academy recruits and offenses, the list of players that have NFL potential is minimal anyway.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:24 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:44 pm I can see a number of good recruits reconsidering the academies, if there is no barrier to pursuing a pro career upon graduation. The national following, career opportunities and historic pageantry of the academies shouldn’t be underestimated. There will be an incremental difference in who the academies will be able to attract.
I think some recruits will not want to be on the hook for military service regardless. The policy change would only impact players that would potentially totally be drafted based on their performance, and, given the quality of the service academy recruits and offenses, the list of players that have NFL potential is minimal anyway.
That’s true today, under current rules—but could change if the barrier is removed. If this rule change doesn’t have an impact for the academies, I would think it will be because of the academic difficulty and 24-hour disciplinary rigor that cadets and midshipmen must endure.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:03 pm
Aberzombie1892 wrote: Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:24 pm
That’s true today, under current rules—but could change if the barrier is removed. If this rule change doesn’t have an impact for the academies, I would think it will be because of the academic difficulty and 24-hour disciplinary rigor that cadets and midshipmen must endure.
The athletes that are likely to be drafted have been pampered since they were Frosh and Sophomores in HS. Most want NOTHING to do with the rigors of Academy life. I don't think it changes a thing.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Exit fee
http://www.courant.com/sports/hc-sp-uco ... story.html
UConn’s total exit fee will likely exceed $10 million, depending on the result of negotiations between the conference and the school. The rest of that money, UConn chief financial officer Scott Jordan said in a written statement, will come from revenue generated largely by “athletics, non-degree programs, housing, dining, parking and real estate” — not tuition or state support.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Spoke to a few West Point alums (that played football for Army) over the weekend. They really think the Black Knights of the Hudson can give the Michigan Wolverines a fight in Ann Arbor this fall. They point to the close loss in Norman, OK last season, and think they're a dark horse for the NY6 bid. They laughed when I told them I think Tulane beats them in early October.

As far as the conference is concerned, they thought Army would be invited to replace UConn as a football only member, but were not sure Army would accept. They have a sweet deal with CBS Sports Network. Not sure there's a fit. But it wouldn't be that difficult to put Army and Navy in the same division and have their traditional match up over Thanksgiving, giving the AAC plenty of exposure on a football rich weekend.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:03 pm Spoke to a few West Point alums (that played football for Army) over the weekend. They really think the Black Knights of the Hudson can give the Michigan Wolverines a fight in Ann Arbor this fall. They point to the close loss in Norman, OK last season, and think they're a dark horse for the NY6 bid. They laughed when I told them I think Tulane beats them in early October.

As far as the conference is concerned, they thought Army would be invited to replace UConn as a football only member, but were not sure Army would accept. They have a sweet deal with CBS Sports Network. Not sure there's a fit. But it wouldn't be that difficult to put Army and Navy in the same division and have their traditional match up over Thanksgiving, giving the AAC plenty of exposure on a football rich weekend.
with this lack of strenght schedule, they ain't goin' to no NY6 game.... i
https://goarmywestpoint.com/schedule.aspx?path=football
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:23 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:03 pm Spoke to a few West Point alums (that played football for Army) over the weekend. They really think the Black Knights of the Hudson can give the Michigan Wolverines a fight in Ann Arbor this fall. They point to the close loss in Norman, OK last season, and think they're a dark horse for the NY6 bid. They laughed when I told them I think Tulane beats them in early October.

If they go undefeated with a win in Ann Arbor they are!
ajcalhoun
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:03 pm But it wouldn't be that difficult to put Army and Navy in the same division and have their traditional match up over Thanksgiving, giving the AAC plenty of exposure on a football rich weekend.
I don't think they want to give up that showcase date a week after the conference title games when they're the only game in town..
God Bless Everyone!
nawlinspete
Riptide

The troll from storrs is now pulling for uconn ,ucf , and Army to beat us . Ban him/her .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:52 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:23 pm

If they go undefeated with a win in Ann Arbor they are!
D, with all respect, no they won't...strenght of schedule plays a huge part, and that is a light weight schedule, even with Michigan on it.....Michigan may very well have one hell of a year, but I think they may lose at least two of these three games, PSU, OSU and ND.....hell MSU and Wisconsin are no layups..so Army beating a three or 4 L Michigan ain't goin' to mean much...and If Michigan loses more than two games Jim H is lookin' for a job
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:52 pm If they go undefeated with a win in Ann Arbor they are!
How? They’re not eligible for the guaranteed NY6 bid since they are not part of a G5. As a result, they would have to earn a very high rank, and that’s almost certainly not happening with that schedule.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

First of all, I don't think they win in Ann Arbor. But if they did and went undefeated, they'd be one of very few undefeated D1 teams and would earn an NY6 bowl game ahead of a UCF, Boise State, or some other G5 with 1 loss. It happens. They would also be ranked higher than all G5 teams with a loss.

Personally, I hope they beat Michigan and lose to Tulane!

But it's just wrong to assume any D1 team could go undefeated and not get a better bowl game than, say, the Liberty Bowl. Times have changed since 1998. I'm not defending Army's SOS, I think it stinks. But HYPOTHETICALLY going undefeated with a win in Ann Arbor would put them into the top 15 and a damned good bowl game after Christmas. I'm not saying they get into the ESPN MNC tournament for crying out loud.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:58 pm First of all, I don't think they win in Ann Arbor. But if they did and went undefeated, they'd be one of very few undefeated D1 teams and would earn an NY6 bowl game ahead of a UCF, Boise State, or some other G5 with 1 loss. It happens. They would also be ranked higher than all G5 teams with a loss.

Personally, I hope they beat Michigan and lose to Tulane!

But it's just wrong to assume any D1 team could go undefeated and not get a better bowl game than, say, the Liberty Bowl. Times have changed since 1998. I'm not defending Army's SOS, I think it stinks. But HYPOTHETICALLY going undefeated with a win in Ann Arbor would put them into the top 15 and a damned good bowl game after Christmas. I'm not saying they get into the ESPN MNC tournament for crying out loud.
Well, the issue at hand is whether they would have a real shot at a NY6 game. Things to consider:

1. Exclusion of a P5 - If Army was given a CFP selection slot by the CFP Committee, that would mean that a very highly ranked P5 team was excluded.

2. CFP Selection Bids - Many of the NY6 selection games have tie ins with conferences, and, as a result, the number of slots for truly at large teams is minimal. For example, the Sugar Bowl is the highest ranked non-CFP SEC and Big 12 teams, and, of course, the highest ranked G5 champion is guaranteed a bid.

3. Army's schedule - Army's schedule is a joke. There is only one P5, two FCS teams, a ton of G5 teams with bad records last season, and then Tulane.

4. CFP exclusions due to weak schedules - The CFP has excluded highly ranked teams from the selection process due to weak schedules. 2015 UNC was ranked #10 with a 11-2 record (2 FCS teams) and 2018 Washington State was ranked #13 with a 10-2 record (no P5s OOC), and both of them were excluded by the CFP committee.

Given the above, there is virtually no way Army could get an at-large bid to a CFP game. Basically, the P5 conferences would have to implode in terms of wins/losses in way not seen in modern history for that happen.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think we should be careful to distinguish between CFP (college football playoff) games and NY6 bowl games. One is the ESPN 4 team invitational (army has no Shot of making this) and then there are the NY6 bowl games that will go to the highest ranked G5 (army has a shot at this).

I also feel like saying kf army runs the table theyll be in an ny6 is like saying: if Tulane runs the table theyll be in an ny6. If thats too much of a stretch insert UCF/Memphis/Houston