UCONN exit from the AAC to cost them $17 million

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RollWaveRoll wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:02 pm This conference is going down hill and this may be beginning of the end for it. The expiration clock just started. Sad how bad the leadership this conference has.

First the rogue vote against baseball that went agains all ADs, Louisville leaving, UConn going to big east , the terrible decision to put games behind paywall of ESPN+ this year, and the rumors of the conf hq moving to dfw next year. These people are dumb and every single one of those decisions above contributed to UConn leaving and they will followed by couple more.

These guys are literally clueless. Big east isn’t even in the G5. This is huge blow to conference, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Mark my words, Cincinnati is out next, followed 2 more. Learn from the big 12s mistakes for crying out loud, they are doing the exact same thing big 12 did and half the conf left.

I’m sure the schools ADs including Troy dannen think they are smarter than everyone else, will guess what big 12 did too, and they kept thinking that until they became the little 8 and had to let in a bunch of non P5s just to keep it intact.

You can kiss the P6 idea away for good now. Good job AAC.
You're right, the Big East isn't in the G5. It's the 6th P conference in basketball.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Sunamiwave
High Tide

UConn leaving the AAC is great for the football teams in the conference. They have a dismal football program and hurt the AAC’s brand in this sport. For men’s basketball they have not had a good season for several years now. I would much rather see Tulane play Houston, Memphis, and Cincinatti before UConn. Supposedly Aresco had language inserted into the ESPN contract that if only one team leaves there would not be any significant change to the TV contract. Plus UConn owes the AAC ten million dollars for their exit fee. UConn leaving the AAC could end up working out really well for the conference if we either stay at eleven teams or add Army as a football only member.
Last edited by Sunamiwave on Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Uconn basketball recruiting:

2019:21
2018:117
2017: 84
2016: 8
2015: 47
2014:46
2013: 30’s
2012: 30’s

So after getting schooled in conference and talent under performing uconn had TWO bad recruiting years. And this explains all of uconns problems being because of the aac
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Im not worried about the aac (although they cant fend off any power conference offer). This was uconns leadership’s stupidity. I dont blame fans for missing their geographic rivals, but it wasnt a prudent move.
greenie78
Riptide

Georgia St would be a terrible idea.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:22 pm Im not worried about the aac (although they cant fend off any power conference offer). This was uconns leadership’s stupidity. I dont blame fans for missing their geographic rivals, but it wasnt a prudent move.

Word on the street is that esteemed UCON alum Scott Cowen is the strategic genius consultant behind this for a $1 000,000 consultant fee with his wife being paid $100 000 for smiling. :lol: ;) :mrgreen:
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:13 am Since moving up to FBS, UConn has done some pretty remarkable things in a relatively short period of time. Yes, they haven't been relevant since Edsall left, but keep in mind how much $$ they invested to move up to FBS, and the fact that they tasted P6 money for a while and still enjoy decent fan support. There's a snowball's chance in hell they'll walk away from FBS football and a chance at a P5 slot. They're on the short list with a significant lead over most (private and/or G5) schools for a P5 invite. They need to get football back in order, but make no mistake, football wags this dogs' tail as much as any other.
Wrong again ,prophet from storr .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
ajcalhoun
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:02 pm Mark my words, Cincinnati is out next, followed 2 more.
Really? Where the heck are they going?
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:49 pm
DfromCT wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:13 am Since moving up to FBS, UConn has done some pretty remarkable things in a relatively short period of time. Yes, they haven't been relevant since Edsall left, but keep in mind how much $$ they invested to move up to FBS, and the fact that they tasted P6 money for a while and still enjoy decent fan support. There's a snowball's chance in hell they'll walk away from FBS football and a chance at a P5 slot. They're on the short list with a significant lead over most (private and/or G5) schools for a P5 invite. They need to get football back in order, but make no mistake, football wags this dogs' tail as much as any other.
Wrong again ,prophet from storr .
Really? You think so? I don't think anything has happened that changes this. They're not dropping out of D1. And they've done more at this level than Tulane has since 1998. Much more, and are still a better P5 candidate than Tulane.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Aberzombie1892
Swell

To be fair, UConn was a relatively massive brand that the AAC simply cannot replace. The only programs in the landscape that are even remotely close are Boise State and BYU, and it seems unlikely that those programs would join the AAC at this time.

The loss of UConn makes football stronger, but it doesn’t help the perception of the league.
wave97
Swell

Get used to it, this is just the beginning. When the NFL runs PSA's to encourage participation in youth football and the members of the PAC 12, the B10 and even the ACC scour well trampled regions of the country for talent. You know the jig is up.
The consolidation of the P5's was ultimately a move of weakness, not strength as participation in football continues to decline .
Don't worry, e-sports will save the day, right?
waveprof
Ripple

When you combine the following 3 long standing rumors, a lot makes sense:

~The AAC seemed actively interested in UMass up until about 2 years ago when we cooled greatly, in spite of the fact that UMass is horrible at football, doesn't have great facilities, and is far behind UConn in basketball

~ UConn was the biggest proponent of UMass because they liked that it was regional, a flagship university, and a basketball school

~ Aresco has known for a year or two that Uconn is leaving

IF all three are true, it all makes sense. We were interested in UMAss solely to appease UConn. Once it became clear it wouldn't appease them, we started looking west. Hence the move of corporate to Dallas, the tv contract that UConn didn't like, and the cooling on UMass.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:04 pm I hope it's USM. I totally understand the demographics and the desire to go west. But hey, that's what I hope. I like playing them.
I'm with you. So are a lot of our fans that enjoyed the rivalry. I don't think it will be them unless the league gets shot down by all the others they seek to the west. Their football program is bouncing back and with the additional money they's make in the AAC they would continue to get better.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The league is not going to stay at 11 in football. I also doubt they take a partial member. We already have two in Navy and WSU.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:08 pm
RollWaveRoll wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:02 pm Mark my words, Cincinnati is out next, followed 2 more.
C-USA, MAC and the Big East are possible landing spots...they are waiting for the call from the Big12 to be a geographic partner with WVU....OSU ain't gonna allow dem in da Big10
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
waveprof
Ripple

Also worth noting: while I don;'t think staying at 11 is likely, it isn't completely crazy for a year or two. One less school to divvy up the money from the TV contract with. If we can't get a program we want, then sit for a year or two. Tell the teams that were borderline exactly what they'd need to do to get in, and wait and see if they do it (all the while pocketing an extra 1/12 of the money every year).
GreenLantern
Riptide

waveprof wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:45 am Also worth noting: while I don;'t think staying at 11 is likely, it isn't completely crazy for a year or two. One less school to divvy up the money from the TV contract with. If we can't get a program we want, then sit for a year or two. Tell the teams that were borderline exactly what they'd need to do to get in, and wait and see if they do it (all the while pocketing an extra 1/12 of the money every year).
Perhaps after LSU is banned from the SEC for larcenous recruiting practices, the AAC can make a probationary membership offer contingent upon their playing all road games as well as elevating their academic credentials to junior college levels.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Will not happen . LSU will never agree to raise academic standards to a ythkng higher than high school.
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:18 am
Wavetime wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:04 pm I hope it's USM. I totally understand the demographics and the desire to go west. But hey, that's what I hope. I like playing them.
I'm with you. So are a lot of our fans that enjoyed the rivalry. I don't think it will be them unless the league gets shot down by all the others they seek to the west. Their football program is bouncing back and with the additional money they's make in the AAC they would continue to get better.
Hattiesburg has a population of about 46,000. Metropolitan Hattiesburg has a population of about 150,000. USM is a directional university,
the flagship university of Mississippi is Ole Miss. USM has an abysmal academic ranking and reputation.

And, the AAC couldn’t care less about any past football rivalry between Tulane and USM, at its zenith during the 70’s & 80’s. USM will not be offered by the AAC
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

after reading the title of this thread, Tulane is also looking to leave, hell, all of the teams are looking to leave, except maybe Tulsa, which has reached it pinnancle
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wavetime
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:41 am
Hattiesburg has a population of about 46,000. Metropolitan Hattiesburg has a population of about 150,000. USM is a directional university,
the flagship university of Mississippi is Ole Miss. USM has an abysmal academic ranking and reputation.

And, the AAC couldn’t care less about any past football rivalry between Tulane and USM, at its zenith during the 70’s & 80’s. USM will not be offered by the AAC
I understand all of that. However, if Army says no then the next level is BYU and Air Force. If they say no then where, San Diego St? Too far west with no partner. USM has a history with almost every AAC Conference member.

I agree with every single point you made, however, if our top targets say no then it's a crap shoot.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Adding USM would ensure that the AAC does not move up in stature.
Last edited by Aberzombie1892 on Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ajcalhoun
Swell

I'm surprised no Cajuns have piped in proposing to have UL-Lafayette take UConn's place.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:41 am

I thought I made it clear it was a personal preference but that I realize they are way down the list of who it might be. Rip on them all you want but a good bit of our fans who go to the games would like them back.
greenie78
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:27 am
ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:08 pm
C-USA, MAC and the Big East are possible landing spots...they are waiting for the call from the Big12 to be a geographic partner with WVU....OSU ain't gonna allow dem in da Big10
C-USA and the MAC is a joke and they can’t play football in the Big East. It’s either the Big 12 or staying in the AAC.