UCONN exit from the AAC to cost them $17 million

UCF, Cincinnati, UConn, ECU, Houston, Memphis, South Florida, SMU, Temple, Tulsa
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

The new ESPN TV deal will be impacted now.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:48 am ....looks like a bunch of 'L's" to me, if anything UConn brought the AAC power rating down
https://uconnhuskies.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=686
Nobody else in the conference has a legit AAC National Championship banner like them. (Sorry, UCF)
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

waveprof wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:26 am golfnut---only like 12 schools care about baseball. Meanwhile UConn doesn't care much about football (other than trying to prop it up in case they need it to get into a P5). This move is being made because their attendance at men's and women's basketball is lagging as is the product on the field. Rightly or wrongly, their fan base attributes both to playing "easy" competition. This move is being made to assuage those programs because those are the two programs that move the needle at UConn. Yes Uconn baseball is good, but you need only look at their playing field and infrastructure to see how little they care about baseball., And football is just an extra sparkle to have what they "need" to try to get in the B10 or ACC (which isn';t going to happen btw)
Baseball doesn't matter in these decisions as it is all about Football and MBB .as far as gettin to their ultimate goal of a P5. But UCONN does care about baseball as their new stadium will open this season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:12 pm The new ESPN TV deal will be impacted now.
Depends on who we bring in. Plus I'm sure both parties knew this was likely coming and already considered that. At least I hope so.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

ive read from reasonable people online that the contract language with espn allows 1 team to leave without any crazy triggers or reduction in contract.

Also apparently Aresco stated on some podcasts that he already had a list of programs as replacements compiled after the last round of realignment speculation.

I am well aware of theirbhistory with the BE, but this was foolhearty. This is allowing a few uninformed fans to influence your decision making. The Big East they remembered is dead, there is no going home again. Yes regionally they miss providence and seton hall and st johns, but the money they get from the big east wont be enough to do anything about the debt they are incurring. It wasnt just football that was in the red.

Also their anger about the aac being a bad basketball conference never made any sense. They didnt exactly dominate the conference in bball. The aac is comparable in basketball to the new big east, and with our new tv contract the teams at the bottom (us) will close the gap with their teams.
JerseyWave
Riptide

UConn brings nothing to the table in football. It hurts basketball but Football drives the bus.

To replace UConn, Rice would be my first choice. Navy can move to the other division in Football.
McWave
High Tide

cajunfanatico wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:45 am
Aberzombie1892 wrote:If UConn determines that it's unlikely that it will get into a P5, it would sense to deemphasize football and move to the BE.
How well-attended are their football games? They've just never struck me as a school that was seriously invested in football.
I believe SC was a UConn football player. How invested was SC in TU football. UConn D1 football history is probably less than 50 years.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:59 pm UConn brings nothing to the table in football. It hurts basketball but Football drives the bus.

To replace UConn, Rice would be my first choice. Navy can move to the other division in Football.
UH is not going to allow Rice to be admitted, Rice brings zero to the TV table, neither does North Texas since SMU is located in Dallas TV market...Chet Gladchuck will never allow Navy to be moved into the east division, since they recruit Texas so heavily and depend on "political appointments' for their Players...and with the Texas population, they can get lots of "appointments" to the Academy
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
WavyHoops
High Tide

I think that if you are from the Northeast you get how important Villanova, Georgetown, St. John’s, Providence and Seton Hall are to UConn fans as rivals, plus the Big East tournament at Madison Square Garden.

It was never a good fit and I’m glad the charade is over.

Temple could be totally hosed though.
greenie78
Riptide

What a dumb move. by UCONN. Totally clueless on their part. The AAC didn’t hurt them in basketball. It was lousy coaching. Temple will be fine without UCONN. They’re competing in both major sports unlike UCONN.
greenie78
Riptide

I would look to add Army in football and VCU in basketball. It’s that simple.
greenie78
Riptide

Actually I think Buffalo would make the most sense. Very successful program in football and basketball while in a major market like Buffalo, NY.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

If the AAC replaces UConn, the AAC should consider any of the following;

Boise State
San Diego State
Air Force

If the AAC specifically doesn’t want to expand into a new time zone, it should consider any of the following:

Army
Arkansas State

With hesitation:

University at Buffalo
NIU
Georgia State
Appalachian State
Old Dominion
wave97
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:30 am So who could we possibly invite to fill that slot? I know in the past they talked about UMass. I'd prefer Southern Miss to UMass, personally. Not for any specific benefit. I also thought there was talk of Wichita State bringing back football at some point.
Old Dominion
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Losing UConn is a yawner. No big deal for the AAC. Obviously at UConn the only thing that matters is basketball first, basketball second, and basketball third. As far as a replacement, I would think that Wichita St. might seriously think about starting up their football program again--all they need to do is ask Charles Koch for a check, and they could be back in quickly.

I like the idea of BYU, SDSt, CSU and Boise--but we'll still need a replacement for UConn to balance the conference. If Wichita St. isn't interested then clearly Army and Buffalo are probably the best options, though I wouldn't look forward to playing in Buffalo in November. Marshall might make a play for the AAC, but I hope that's not who we bring in. I would like to see Rice in the AAC, but doubt that UH will allow it.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:12 pm
JerseyWave wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:59 pm UConn brings nothing to the table in football. It hurts basketball but Football drives the bus.

UH is not going to allow Rice to be admitted, Rice brings zero to the TV table, neither does North Texas since SMU is located in Dallas TV market...Chet Gladchuck will never allow Navy to be moved into the east division, since they recruit Texas so heavily and depend on "political appointments' for their Players...and with the Texas population, they can get lots of "appointments" to the Academy
Correct. Add in that Navy being in the West Division was part of the agreement to get them to join.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

My guess is that UCONN thinks their basketball recruiting will improve by going back to the BE. Only time will tell.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Wave goodbye to storrs Thank goodness .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
wave97
Swell

Old Dominion:
*Legendary recruiting of the Tidewater.
*A very large underserved fan base for sports entertainment.
*Largest media market outside of Nova/Metro DC (700,000).
*Mid-Atlantic media.
*68 million dollar expansion underway for the stadium.
* Two in-state P-5 programs are not dominating the recruiting/media.
*Bobby Wilder (Head Coach), will be gone after this season. Expect a good hire and an invitation to the AAC.
Last edited by wave97 on Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wave97
Swell

College Football is a foreign culture in New England. For decades Boston College would recruit the Parochial Schools of the Mid-Atlantic to put together recruiting classes. The Mid-Atlantic is a shadow of what it used to be for producing football prospects. BC & UConn football are focusing their recruiting to the Southeast & Mid-West. I wish them luck....
Wavetime
Swell

I hope it's USM. I totally understand the demographics and the desire to go west. But hey, that's what I hope. I like playing them.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

The AAC should stay at eleven teams. No need to add anyone as we can just eliminate the separate divisions and have the two teams with the best conference records play in the AAC championship game.. The ESPN contract will not be impacted in any significant way as Aresco added language to the contract stating something to that effect if only one team leaves. Plus UConn has a pathetic football program and they have not been good in men’s basketball for several years now. As we know football drives the train so I say good riddance to UConn since the AAC will refuse to let them stay as a football only member.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

UConn basketball has suffered from bad coaching AND playing in the AAC. The AAC has hurt recruiting in a very big way. The regional rivalries were very important in their branding. To think they didn't add to the AAC is underestimating UConn's brand in both mens and women's basketball. The only national championships in sports that matter for the AAC belonged to UConn. Good for them, good for the AAC, who can replace them with a competitive football program.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

This conference is going down hill and this may be beginning of the end for it. The expiration clock just started. Sad how bad the leadership this conference has.

First the rogue vote against baseball that went agains all ADs, Louisville leaving, UConn going to big east , the terrible decision to put games behind paywall of ESPN+ this year, and the rumors of the conf hq moving to dfw next year. These people are dumb and every single one of those decisions above contributed to UConn leaving and they will followed by couple more.

These guys are literally clueless. Big east isn’t even in the G5. This is huge blow to conference, don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. Mark my words, Cincinnati is out next, followed 2 more. Learn from the big 12s mistakes for crying out loud, they are doing the exact same thing big 12 did and half the conf left.

I’m sure the schools ADs including Troy dannen think they are smarter than everyone else, will guess what big 12 did too, and they kept thinking that until they became the little 8 and had to let in a bunch of non P5s just to keep it intact.

You can kiss the P6 idea away for good now. Good job AAC.
Last edited by RollWaveRoll on Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:42 pm UConn basketball has suffered from bad coaching AND playing in the AAC. The AAC has hurt recruiting in a very big way. The regional rivalries were very important in their branding. To think they didn't add to the AAC is underestimating UConn's brand in both mens and women's basketball. The only national championships in sports that matter for the AAC belonged to UConn. Good for them, good for the AAC, who can replace them with a competitive football program.
Being in the AAC didnt hurt cinci/houston/temple/wichita/memphis with their bball recruiting. I would also say Uconn has had MANY MANY excellent recruits in the last several years yet couldnt succeed. Uconn fans refuse to look internally and accept responsibility for bad coaching. The uconn recruiting again this year was very very food. Sure they miss playing their old rivals (seton hall, st johns, pc etc) but you are making an approximately lateral basketball move for nostalgia and better attendance while slitting your football team and baseball teams throat.