2021 Baseball Coaches Carousel has begun

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Texas A&M coach Rob Childress after 13 NCAA’s, 6 SR’s and two CWS tells you how important baseball is in the South and the SEC

He was just fired.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/ ... 165594003/
In his first year leading the Maroon and White, the Aggies finished with a 25-30-1 record and a 10th-place finish in the Big 12. However, until this year, that was the lone season his teams missed out on the NCAA tournament.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

One very high quality coach just became available.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:13 am One very high quality coach just became available.
from Mafunction Junction
https://theeagle.com/sports/college/agg ... eaacc.html
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:20 am
DfromCT wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:13 am One very high quality coach just became available.
from Mafunction Junction
Jake Gautreau will likely get that job.
One of the best natural hitters we ever had here. Has worked wonders at Mississippi State, native Texan, and is a stud on the recruiting trail. Also named assistant coach of the year. He would have had a nice MLB career had it not been for his bout with ulcerative colitis.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:57 am
from Mafunction Junction
One of the best natural hitters we ever had here. Has worked wonders at Mississippi State, native Texan, and is a stud on the recruiting trail. Also named assistant coach of the year. He would have had a nice MLB career had it not been for his bout with ulcerative colitis.
An impressive list of capabilities, but just one problem--he's also from the Tulane family. I guess that's why Dannen doesn't feel he's as qualified as Jewett. :explode:
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 11:42 am
tpstulane wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:57 am
from Mafunction Junction
An impressive list of capabilities, but just one problem--he's also from the Tulane family. I guess that's why Dannen doesn't feel he's as qualified as Jewett. :explode:
Should be interesting to see who applies this time around. Sadly I don’t think the job is what it once was.
Tulane Class of 1981
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Matt Bragga was let go today at Rice. Kendall Rodgers over at d1 baseball is reporting that two former Tulane assistants are top candidates for that job. Jake Gautreau assistant coach at Miss State and Sean Allen assistant coach at Texas for David Pierce. In my opinion Rice or anyone else for that matter could not go wrong with either of these guys.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Sunamiwave wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:19 pm Matt Bragga was let go today at Rice. Kendall Rodgers over at d1 baseball is reporting that two former Tulane assistants are top candidates for that job. Jake Gautreau assistant coach at Miss State and Sean Allen assistant coach at Texas for David Pierce. In my opinion Rice or anyone else for that matter could not go wrong with either of these guys.
I think Jake could get an SEC job though. Matt Riser tried to get the Rice job on its previous opening.
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

Why would these two not apply here , their alma mater , should there be an opening ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:04 pm Why would these two not apply here , their alma mater , should there be an opening ?
I don’t know now. I think Jake could get an SEC job. Matt could be interested.
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

Cannizaro is the best coach of the bunch
ajcalhoun
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:30 pm Cannizaro is the best coach of the bunch

Maybe so but I think he would just use us as a springboard to another SEC job.
God Bless Everyone!
Profoundwizard
Swell

ajcalhoun wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:17 pm
Profoundwizard wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 9:30 pm Cannizaro is the best coach of the bunch

Maybe so but I think he would just use us as a springboard to another SEC job.
I disagree but who cares if so? A good/great coach will garner interest from better jobs, that’s not a bad problem to have.
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

This job isn't what it once was. Let's be honest and quit living in the past. T2 opened in what (2008?), and the place has been dead and empty outside of a few marquee games. We are pushing 10+ years now with below average to mediocre performance. Who knows what will happen with our coaching situation for next year, but present day Tulane baseball isn't how we remember it from the early 2000's.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 9:23 am This job isn't what it once was. Let's be honest and quit living in the past. T2 opened in what (2008?), and the place has been dead and empty outside of a few marquee games. We are pushing 10+ years now with below average to mediocre performance. Who knows what will happen with our coaching situation for next year, but present day Tulane baseball isn't how we remember it from the early 2000's.
Exactly
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:39 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:19 pm Matt Bragga was let go today at Rice. Kendall Rodgers over at d1 baseball is reporting that two former Tulane assistants are top candidates for that job. Jake Gautreau assistant coach at Miss State and Sean Allen assistant coach at Texas for David Pierce. In my opinion Rice or anyone else for that matter could not go wrong with either of these guys.
I think Jake could get an SEC job though. Matt Riser tried to get the Rice job on its previous opening.
Like us, Rice baseball isn't what it used to be. I would think Gaut, Riser and Allen could do better than Rice. Dannen is insane if he doesn't give those three, and AC, a hard look.
Last edited by HoustonWave on Tue May 25, 2021 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 12:17 pm
tpstulane wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 6:39 pm
Like us, Rice baseball isn't what it used to be. I would the Gaut, Riser and Allen could do better than Rice. Dannen is insane if he doesn't give those three, and AC, a hard look.
Yes. For sure
Tulane Class of 1981
DrBox
Riptide

That's kind of the point- we need to start winning again. It isn't the same because of 10 years of mostly mediocrity. Every time a job opens, we hear the defeatist stuff that no one with top credentials wants to coach here, only to hire a Pierce or Fritz (except in the cases where an AD didn't bother to do a serious search). It will be the same this time.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Kendall Rogers reports that Houston will retain Todd Whitting
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Dannen would be VERY wise to let Jewett go and hire a Tulane baseball alum. Cannizaro, Riser, Gautreau, would all be great choices. I'm sure there are others.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The job will never be the same. We were putting more resources into it when others just weren't that interested in it. Now those schools are flush with P5 money and they have poured resources into baseball and built their teams nice facilities. We'll never have that advantage again. We should be able to win and make Regionals every 2 or 3 years with a quality hire but we'll be hard pressed to do better than that. I hope we hire someone who proves me wrong. I just want to see us hire someone that can coach the fundamentals of the game. We're not going to out talent anyone anymore. Not saying we won't have some talent but our talent level will necessitate us having to play the game in very sound fashion to maximize what talent we do have.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Show Me
Tsunami

Baseball remains our best chance to win a National Championship. FB or basketball will never ever have that opportunity. If Dannen hires the right guy we could once again get to the promise land. Stoney Brook and Coastal Carolina have shit for facilities and they got to the promise land. Coastal even won it all. Tulane baseball facilities are not the problem.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Show Me wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:27 pm Baseball remains our best chance to win a National Championship. FB or basketball will never ever have that opportunity. If Dannen hires the right guy we could once again get to the promise land. Stoney Brook and Coastal Carolina have shit for facilities and they got to the promise land. Coastal even won it all. Tulane baseball facilities are not the problem.
Coastal Carolina and Stoney Brook don't have $60K/year tuition. I'd say tennis is our best shot at a Natty.
God Bless Everyone!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:46 pm
Show Me wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 3:27 pm Baseball remains our best chance to win a National Championship. FB or basketball will never ever have that opportunity. If Dannen hires the right guy we could once again get to the promise land. Stoney Brook and Coastal Carolina have shit for facilities and they got to the promise land. Coastal even won it all. Tulane baseball facilities are not the problem.
Coastal Carolina and Stoney Brook don't have $60K/year tuition. I'd say tennis is our best shot at a Natty.
+1. I once strongly believed we could win a NC in baseball but I think that window has closed since we couldn't do it even when we had the advantages.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

how does Tulanes new tuition policy for Louisiana Students whose families make less than a certain amount factor into Tulanes abailty to recruit locally ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !