PAC12 Expansion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

no "smallish private schools need apply"
https://collegefootballnews.com/2021/05 ... nce-target

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:25 am no "smallish private schools need apply"
Great news! Will open up spots in the Big 12 🤔
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:26 am
golfnut69 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:25 am no "smallish private schools need apply"
Although we're not even mentioned in the article as one of the schools to potentially fill that void. New Orleans is certainly attractive to a "P" conference. Tulane's miniscule fan base is downright ugly and probably our biggest negative at this time. It's all a bunch of hypothetical situations, but I think our lack of fan base keeps us from being a serious candidate.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
anEngineer
Riptide

I don't see where any existing P school benefits from jumping to a conference that has no existing school with a viable chance to win a national championship and has an isolated TV market due to time zones. When is the last time anyone here watched a PAC 12 game as a first option? Would Texas Tech benefit from playing UCLA over Texas?
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:28 pm
Although we're not even mentioned in the article as one of the schools to potentially fill that void. New Orleans is certainly attractive to a "P" conference. Tulane's miniscule fan base is downright ugly and probably our biggest negative at this time. It's all a bunch of hypothetical situations, but I think our lack of fan base keeps us from being a serious candidate.

In fact , the writer listed Cincinnati , UCF , and Memphis as filling the vacuum.
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
anEngineer
Riptide

It's important to bear in mind that sports writers are no more credible than news writers. They consistently make things up to generate clicks and interviews. Again, why would anyone leave the Big 12 for the PAC 12 unless the Big 12 implodes for some reason? The PAC 12 has nothing of extra value to offer.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:28 pm
The lack of a fan base is certainly a factor. The biggest though is our lack of success. We desperately need that breakthrough season. That will of course help with the fan base problem too. But like engineer said I don't see the movement happening. Hope to be wrong on the lack of movement and that we have that breakthrough season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

To be clear- and correct me if I’m wrong- there has been no discussion what so ever from the pac 12 about expansion. They have a new commissioner and that’s it.

I really hope the aac expands with boise state football only or does the west coast wing by adding 3- Boise & SDSU and your choice of BYU/UNLV/Fresno/Air Force/ CSU.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:51 pm I don't see where any existing P school benefits from jumping to a conference that has no existing school with a viable chance to win a national championship and has an isolated TV market due to time zones. When is the last time anyone here watched a PAC 12 game as a first option? Would Texas Tech benefit from playing UCLA over Texas?
The B12 is far and away the most unstable P5 conference.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:07 pm
anEngineer wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:51 pm I don't see where any existing P school benefits from jumping to a conference that has no existing school with a viable chance to win a national championship and has an isolated TV market due to time zones. When is the last time anyone here watched a PAC 12 game as a first option? Would Texas Tech benefit from playing UCLA over Texas?
The B12 is far and away the most unstable P5 conference.
Yet it still is a P5 and bringing in at least $25 million a year. Hard pressed to have a good reason to jump to the Pac-12.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:36 am
This reeks of dog days of summer syndrome. I put zero credibility in it, if you read further in the twitter thread, the poster says he "heard it from someone he respects" and that the only time he's seen anything about Apple buying ESPN was a few years ago.
anEngineer
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:47 pm
This reeks of dog days of summer syndrome. I put zero credibility in it, if you read further in the twitter thread, the poster says he "heard it from someone he respects" and that the only time he's seen anything about Apple buying ESPN was a few years ago.
Nothing is overly reliable until it actually happens, but I can see Apple eventually buying ESPN.
RobertM320
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 4:44 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 3:47 pm
Nothing is overly reliable until it actually happens, but I can see Apple eventually buying ESPN.
At which point they could turn the entire college sports scene on their head by giving the SEC 11pm CT time slots and Friday night games. They wouldn't, but they could.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Apple's market cap is over $3 Trillion once again today. They've been known to have billions of cash on hand for acquisitions. They can buy just about whatever they want, but do they want to make that big an investment in media? Maybe they do for many reasons outside of traditional broadcasting, such as VR content.
Bigschtick
Riptide

SDSU not exiting Mountain West there being no offer to join the Pac 12 at this time!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
OUG
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:31 pm Apple's market cap is over $3 Trillion once again today. They've been known to have billions of cash on hand for acquisitions. They can buy just about whatever they want, but do they want to make that big an investment in media? Maybe they do for many reasons outside of traditional broadcasting, such as VR content.
Apple is a savvy company and deep pockets go a long way. When they bought MLS rights people thought it was a risky business move. Now they’ve got exclusive rights to the live matches of the reigning World Cup Golden Ball and FIFA Ballon D’Or winner who just so happens to be the most marketable player in the world. And that’s because they could dip into their deep pockets to help MLS make their platform relevant. There’s no question Apple TV+ can be a huge player in the sports streaming space. If I was a college conference, making a deal with them right now would be a no brainer.
Wave755
Tsunami

Bigschtick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:59 pm SDSU not exiting Mountain West there being no offer to join the Pac 12 at this time!
Here is the CBS PAC 12 article, so much for “well placed sources,” SDSU never offered? 🤷🏻‍♂️ https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... onference/
anEngineer
Riptide

All of this probably means that everything pretty much stays the same until next Spring, at the earliest.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Wave755 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:15 pm
Bigschtick wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:59 pm SDSU not exiting Mountain West there being no offer to join the Pac 12 at this time!
Here is the CBS PAC 12 article, so much for “well placed sources,” SDSU never offered? 🤷🏻‍♂️ https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... onference/
I'm guessing part of the agreement in the eventual media deal is going to be no expansion. ESPN and others trying to effectively shut the door on more P5s. CIN, HTN, UCF and BYU may have caught the last train.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Greeniegb
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:34 pm
I'm guessing part of the agreement in the eventual media deal is going to be no expansion. ESPN and others trying to effectively shut the door on more P5s. CIN, HTN, UCF and BYU may have caught the last train.
BS, you guys waste so much time on speculation and your own opinions get a life, exhausting reading your "expert opinions" that turn out being bs. That does not mean one thing, just sit back and let things unfold because none of you have a clue. Guessing really, only a guess that wastes time on here with pages of discussion for naught.
Pepper
Swell

Greeniegb wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:34 am
BS, you guys waste so much time on speculation and your own opinions get a life, exhausting reading your "expert opinions" that turn out being bs. That does not mean one thing, just sit back and let things unfold because none of you have a clue. Guessing really, only a guess that wastes time on here with pages of discussion for naught.
Would you get back to washing your QB's jock and leave the sports talk to us.
"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Greeniegb wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:34 am
Did you really MISS the FIRST TWO words of my post? I'm GUESSING? That's what a sports forum is FOR. You are insufferable sometimes, Gb.

I'll guarantee you this right now: if SDSU didn't get offered, no one's getting an invite.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Just read this:
SDSU earned its conference $10 million by going to the NCAA MBB Championship final. It’s paid out over 6 years. Should they leave for the PAC 12 they’ll forfeit their share. So winning has held them back in this case. Bizarre.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Mtn West has 12 teams....10 million = 833,333 per team divided by 6 payouts = 138,888 per year team....so if their PAC12 share is more than the current Mt West payout plus 138,888 per year, they need to on out to the PAC

I personally think the PAC will stay at 10 teams for a short time to make sure each team gets a slice of the pie that keeps them in the PAC....eventually SDSU and UNLV will get an invite....if the 'Zona schools and Colorado bolt look for Colorado State and / or SMU to be invited...I never see them going to more than 12 teams....the PAC does not want to get in the logistical nitemare that is the big10...
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !