USC settles sex assault cases for $1.1 billion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... -1-billion

This will hurt USC dearly as this is a massive sum of money and will require significant belt tightening and cuts. This is almost Tulane’s entire endowment.
I hope LSU faces similar retribution if not the death penalty

anEngineer
Riptide

In California, they settle because a judge there might make it worse. No Louisiana judge is going to punish LSU to that extent, and it would only cost the taxpayers anyway. The school doesn't get punished, the state does, so what's the point? So long as Will Wade is still coaching basketball, LSU can do whatever they want to.
Show Me
Tsunami

I can’t imagine settling for over $1 billion. Seems like they could have gone to court and done just as well.
That’s over $1.4 million a person.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:02 am I can’t imagine settling for over $1 billion. Seems like they could have gone to court and done just as well.
That’s over $1.4 million a person.
They probably trying to go over and above to correct their wrong doing. You’ll never in your lifetime ever see LSU correct anything.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I think there were originally 17,000 (!!!!) victims. By the end I think there was something like 800 victims with strong cases.

It’s wild to think USC can withstand this kind of settlement. They do have some sort insurance for this but I know it doesn’t cover it all