RIP John Chaney

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Pepper
Swell

I witnessed Tulane basketball in its hey dey destroy his Temple team 99-75 that went to the NCAA's. The posse was alive and well and Fogelman was packed to the rafters. We were ranked 21st at the time and would go on to with the regular season title and to the NCAA'S. That team averaged getting 10 steals per game. Unheard of.

"Purple & Gold? You look ridiculous!"-Johnny Be Good.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Yes. I was in that number also. Perry Clark would tell you that was one of his most satisfying wins of his career. Perry idolized Chaney coming up.

Recap of that game.
https://greensboro.com/tulane-99-temple ... 5a034.html
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I enoyed watching Chaney's teams, his and Pete Carril's princeton teams with it's motion offense...wanna teach O, watch Carrils teams...always moving..as I told my players, the easiest guy to guard was the one standing still.. I also told them, NEVER dribble the baketball without intent to go from one place to another, once U dribble and pick it up, U are dead meat... on a loacla note, I enjoyed Nick Revons, teams, I played against them ( St Aloysius) and I enoyed watching, when he became coach at East Jeff .. I wish he would be our coach, when I was there
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That was a great game to be at. We kicked their butts.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
anEngineer
Riptide

Chaney was an odd guy. It was Chaney who taught me that the visiting team actually has the choice of which side of the court they want in the first half. Unlike almost everyone else, Chaney would choose to have his players scoring on other team's bench side in the second half. He said his team knew what to do without him in their ear and it caused discomfort for the other team.

Also, Chaney's career was tarnished when he threatened to kill John Calipri in a press conference.