Tulane's Top Rivals?

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
GreenLantern
Riptide

winwave wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:10 am It's a hell of a rivalry. We just haven't done our part. But there is no question the last team they ever want to lose to in anything is Tulane.
If the person that started this thread is doing actual research as implied, I would like to see the results of the study. My guess is that the typical LSU fan views Alabama as their primary rival. I agree with win that the last team to which LSU would wish to lose is Tulane, in much the same way that the last team I would wish to defeat Tulane is ULL. Why them? Not because ULL is a rival but because they should be viewed as inferior to Tulane in all areas: scholastically, athletically, historically, traditionally... We should expect to humiliate them whenever we meet.

MicMan
Swell

There's actual academic resources being devoted to this "project"?

LOL
winwave
Top of the WAVE

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:42 am
winwave wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:10 am It's a hell of a rivalry. We just haven't done our part. But there is no question the last team they ever want to lose to in anything is Tulane.
If the person that started this thread is doing actual research as implied, I would like to see the results of the study. My guess is that the typical LSU fan views Alabama as their primary rival. I agree with win that the last team to which LSU would wish to lose is Tulane, in much the same way that the last team I would wish to defeat Tulane is ULL. Why them? Not because ULL is a rival but because they should be viewed as inferior to Tulane in all areas: scholastically, athletically, historically, traditionally... We should expect to humiliate them whenever we meet.
I agree they would say Alabama but they're used to losing to them over the years. When they lose again to them it is expected. But in their heart of hearts it would no doubt be Tulane they they don't want to lose to.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Dave breslin
Swell

LSPOO may think that Alabama is their rival but Bama only thinks of LSU as a once in a while competitive team. Their rival is Auburn. LSU used to have us (many years ago) and ole miss. Those days have changed. They are trying to build a rival with TAM or Arkansas. TAM has a better chance. We could be looked at as a “Miami “ if we turn Gibson Hall into our football HQ.
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:42 am

Was speaking to an LSU fan friend of mine at church this morning about this very thing. He said Alabama is sort of, because you have to beat them to win the SEC, but the team they seem to hate the most is Florida. He said if there's one game each year that it kills them to lose more than any other it would be the Gators.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

We would "hate" to lose to SLU (which we almost did a couple of times under "Buffet" Bob Toledo), but does that make SLU a "rival" of Tulane?

And yes, LSU hates Florida, and Florida hates LSU. And, much of the LSU-Florida feud and bitter rivalry does go back to the days of Steve Spurrier, and then carried forward with Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Without a doubt, Tulanes' biggest rival, are the NIMBY's
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Dave breslin
Swell

I lost my rival when Cowdick left. Still have some pencil necks complaining. But, that will always be. They need to realize that being successful, which means winning, would benefit the school
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wave755 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:15 am We would "hate" to lose to SLU (which we almost did a couple of times under "Buffet" Bob Toledo), but does that make SLU a "rival" of Tulane?

And yes, LSU hates Florida, and Florida hates LSU. And, much of the LSU-Florida feud and bitter rivalry does go back to the days of Steve Spurrier, and then carried forward with Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow.
Big difference between hating to lose to someone and hating to lose to someone more than anyone else. LSU losing to Florida happens enough that they are used to it.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Eaglewave
Swell

I wish it was still LSU, but that rivalry has died! Even if we see a new series within the next 5-10 years, LSU wouldn’t have a mutual “rivalry” with us. They will treat the game no different from them playing La Tech. LSU will never again play an in state FBS every year! They do not want anyone to receive clout or top local recruits off of their name, and definitely don’t want to risk being upset after a program has gotten familiar their system.

Our rivalry should be USM. We have a better shot at making a longer series with them anyway. We need to look at scheduling ULL more frequently as well. The Cajuns sell tickets and bring more to a game than most of our conference opponents as far as attendance.

ULM and La Tech should be scheduled every 2-3 years as well.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave755
Tsunami

Eaglewave wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 11:57 am I wish it was still LSU, but that rivalry has died! Even if we see a new series within the next 5-10 years, LSU wouldn’t have a mutual “rivalry” with us. They will treat the game no different from them playing La Tech. LSU will never again play an in state FBS every year! They do not want anyone to receive clout or top local recruits off of their name, and definitely don’t want to risk being upset after a program has gotten familiar their system.

Our rivalry should be USM. We have a better shot at making a longer series with them anyway. We need to look at scheduling ULL more frequently as well. The Cajuns sell tickets and bring more to a game than most of our conference opponents as far as attendance.

ULM and La Tech should be scheduled every 2-3 years as well.
+1, for it to be a true rivalry each side has to have both something to win and something to lose.

Our rivals for now should be AAC foes Houston, Tulsa & as we continue to improve, UCF. And, we owe Navy one after this year’s debacle at Yulman, we were by far the better team.

We are rapidly pulling away from ULALA, USM, La. Tech & UL-M but should play at least one of them each year in football. Why, because it will be fun! And, let them take their best shot at Louisiana’s premiere university.
ajcalhoun
Swell

LSU ditched us and we ditched USM so we need to find a mutual hatred with somebody we actually play on a regular basis.
God Bless Everyone!
Wave755
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:55 pm LSU ditched us and we ditched USM so we need to find a mutual hatred with somebody we actually play on a regular basis.
Progressively, it appears Houston will "fill the bill." And, we have won 2 of our last three against the "Coogs," so there is indeed now parity between the programs.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:55 pm We are rapidly pulling away from ULALA, USM, La. Tech & UL-M but should play at least one of them each year in football. Why, because it will be fun! And, let them take their best shot at Louisiana’s premiere university.
U-La-La was better than Tulane this year.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:55 am
Wave755 wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:55 pm We are rapidly pulling away from ULALA, USM, La. Tech & UL-M but should play at least one of them each year in football. Why, because it will be fun! And, let them take their best shot at Louisiana’s premiere university.
U-La-La was better than Tulane this year.
Don't tell me you really believe that top 25 crap, do you? Until about a week or two ago ULALA was ranked above Ohio State!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:19 am
DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:55 am U-La-La was better than Tulane this year.
Don't tell me you really believe that top 25 crap, do you? Until about a week or two ago ULALA was ranked above Ohio State!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I look at their results on the field. They had a better season and beat better teams than Tulane did. Remind me when was our last win against a ranked team? U-La-La beat a very highly ranked Iowa State team. ISU wasn't a preseason wonder. They've been ranked most of the past three seasons, and will finish the season at the back end of the top 10 or top of the second 10 in the rankings. Remember, that ISU team beat OU before falling to them in the Big 12 CG. The Cajuns only loss was to a Coastal Carolina team that you, Wave755, were calling a juggernaut when U-La-La was to play them in the Sunbelt CG. By the way, that loss to undefeated Coastal Carolina was by 3 points.

I don't give a crap about the rankings. My eyes and ears tell me U-La-La was the better team this past year. If you don't think so, I totally understand why you laugh at the suggestion. Common trait among those that refuse to examine facts.

And please show me the poll that has U-La-La ahead of Ohio State. Please. I went back to week 10, the first time they revisited the top 25 since early in the year before the B1G was playing. Ohio State was #3, with a first place vote, U-La-La was 25.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by DfromCT on Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:20 am
Wave755 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:19 am
DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:55 am U-La-La was better than Tulane this year.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

No, I look at their results on the field. They had a better season and beat better teams than Tulane did. Remind me when was our last win against a ranked team? U-La-La beat a very highly ranked Iowa State team. ISU wasn't a preseason wonder. They've been ranked most of the past three seasons, and will finish the season at the back end of the top 10 or top of the second 10 in the rankings. Remember, that ISU team beat OU before falling to them in the Big 12 CG. The Cajuns only loss was to a Coastal Carolina team that you, Wave755, were calling a juggernaut when U-La-La was to play them in the Sunbelt CG. By the way, that loss to undefeated Coastal Carolina was by 3 points.

I don't give a crap about the rankings. My eyes and ears tell me U-La-La was the better team this past year. If you don't think so, I totally understand why you laugh at the suggestion. Common trait among those that refuse to examine facts.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If we played ULALA both teams at full strength, the result would look at lot line the 2018 Cure Bowl. And, not impressed with their 7 point win over the "Mighty Roadrunners" of UTSA. :P And, Ohio State would beat ULALA by about 🤔 100 points! :lol:
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:28 am
If we played ULALA both teams at full strength, the result would look at lot line the 2018 Cure Bowl. And, not impressed with their 7 point win over the "Mighty Roadrunners" of UTSA. :P And, Ohio State would beat ULALA by about 🤔 100 points! :lol:
Again, SHOW ME THE POLL where Ohio State is behind U-La-La. It doesn't exist anywhere other than your mind, or when the B1G wasn't playing. And it's meaningless to this discussion. We're arguing about the better team in the state of Louisiana, you're bringing in Ohio State to play U-La-La. And frankly, I think they give them a better game than Tulane does, because the 2020 Tulane football team would only play well for about 28 minutes.

Again, when did Tulane last beat a ranked opponent? Did the Cajuns beat ISU with smoke and mirrors? By THREE scores on the road no less? What makes you think a team that under-performed and went long stretches of the vast majority of their games looking like a bad football team would beat a team that played better game in and game out? And they did it against teams every bit as good as any we faced. Good teams made us look bad. Bad teams we made look good. U-La-La was the better football team this season. It's beyond funny that you argue that point.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:55 pm LSU ditched us and we ditched USM so we need to find a mutual hatred with somebody we actually play on a regular basis.
Like I said above we do play LSU on a regular basis. No matter what the hatred there will always trump anybody else in that role.
Wave755
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:42 am
Again, SHOW ME THE POLL where Ohio State is behind U-La-La. It doesn't exist anywhere other than your mind, or when the B1G wasn't playing. And it's meaningless to this discussion. We're arguing about the better team in the state of Louisiana, you're bringing in Ohio State to play U-La-La. And frankly, I think they give them a better game than Tulane does, because the 2020 Tulane football team would only play well for about 28 minutes.

Again, when did Tulane last beat a ranked opponent? Did the Cajuns beat ISU with smoke and mirrors? By THREE scores on the road no less? What makes you think a team that under-performed and went long stretches of the vast majority of their games looking like a bad football team would beat a team that played better game in and game out? And they did it against teams every bit as good as any we faced. Good teams made us look bad. Bad teams we made look good. U-La-La was the better football team this season. It's beyond funny that you argue that point.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In the AAC ULALA would be a nothing. :D
anEngineer
Riptide

U-LA-LA was pretty good and they got every break they possibly could get. That's often what it takes to overachieve. Coming out of short pre-season camp, U-LA-LA had their special teams ready to play much better than ISU and they used them to win. A lot of times, one dynamic player can carry special teams. No doubt, they flat out won. Is U-LA-LA one of the best 20 teams in the country? I don't think so. Could they beat the team Tulane fielded in the Potato Bowl? Probably could. Could they beat the November Tulane team? Probably not, but a competitive game.
gbgreenie
Surge

Wave755 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:37 pm

You and others are in denial if you feel U-La-La would never be at our level, they have potential to be just that, for their coach to turn down Auburn Napier knows their potential. The key is a stronger fan base that travels well. That is one of the bedrocks to a successful Athletic Program regardlous of anything else the Athletic Dept. can do!!! Good coaching, and a strong fanbase are the backbone of a successful program.
Wave755
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:19 pm
Wave755 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:37 pm

You and others are in denial if you feel U-La-La would never be at our level, they have potential to be just that, for their coach to turn down Auburn Napier knows their potential. The key is a stronger fan base that travels well. That is one of the bedrocks to a successful Athletic Program regardlous of anything else the Athletic Dept. can do!!! Good coaching, and a strong fanbase are the backbone of a successful program.
In 2019 they had about 7,000 at the Dome for their game against Miss. St. And brother, those must be some really potent mushrooms (Psilocybin) you're eating. :D

And, I still remember when Nelson Stokely removed his name from consideration for the Oklahoma State job to stay at then USL, and we all know how that turned out. ;)
Last edited by Wave755 on Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

anEngineer wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:54 pm U-LA-LA was pretty good and they got every break they possibly could get. That's often what it takes to overachieve. Coming out of short pre-season camp, U-LA-LA had their special teams ready to play much better than ISU and they used them to win. A lot of times, one dynamic player can carry special teams. No doubt, they flat out won. Is U-LA-LA one of the best 20 teams in the country? I don't think so. Could they beat the team Tulane fielded in the Potato Bowl? Probably could. Could they beat the November Tulane team? Probably not, but a competitive game.
The question is could Tulane beat them? Probably not as Tulane likely would play well for only a portion of the game. Are they more talented? Highly doubtful. Did they play better? By a wide margin. Thus they were the better team this past season. They were better on the field of play, not on the internet or on paper. They executed more consistently. They won 10 games.
MicMan
Swell

No research needed to see that since LSU, Tulane has no real rival.