“Tulane” Ave now on the list of name changes

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:59 am If Tulane University would ever change its name, I'm done.
+1,000,000

Changing the street name will have absolutely zero impact on my life. I won't like it, but so it goes. Try to change the name of the University, which I don't think anyone has suggested or is considering, would end my ties to the University.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

From Tulane & Broad to “Tootie” & Broad? :clap: (sarcasm)! My friend Rob Masson of WVUE reports on the proposed New Orleans street and place name changes. And, goodbye Washington Artillery Park? https://www.fox8live.com/2021/02/25/lee ... y-council/
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life ... 6bcae.html

“The life-size sentry is one of the first three markers being installed by the Louisiana Office of Tourism across the state to call attention to the struggle for equal rights by Black Louisianans. The Louisiana Civil Rights Trail markers project will eventually include 15 locations.”
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:31 pm https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life ... 6bcae.html

“The life-size sentry is one of the first three markers being installed by the Louisiana Office of Tourism across the state to call attention to the struggle for equal rights by Black Louisianans. The Louisiana Civil Rights Trail markers project will eventually include 15 locations.”
That’s good. Part of history like many other markers. Good education for many. I’ll always support historical monuments and markers. I’m against removing them for the exact reason.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:34 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:31 pm https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life ... 6bcae.html

That’s good. Part of history like many other markers. Good education for many. I’ll always support historical monuments and markers. I’m against removing them for the exact reason.
My good friend is german/polish and jewish. Should he support a statue in Berlin to Hitler?

Any such racist statue belongs in a museum to educate, not in a public square. There is a big difference.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Mon May 03, 2021 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:14 pm

My good friend is german/polish and jewish. Should he support a statue in Berlin to Hitler?
Seattle has one of Lenin. I guess it really doesn't matter if peons support it or not.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:16 pm
Seattle has one of Lenin. I guess it really doesn't matter if peons support it or not.
“Much of the debate ignores the statue's private ownership and installation on private property, with the public and government having virtually no say in the matter.”

But hey, who cares about facts.

You and others should spend some time understanding how the german’s have treated their horrific history with jews.

Also, maybe look up the definition of empathy.

Stop focusing on the actions of the wacky left/right media and make a decision on your own.

“When all the little ants are marching
Red and black antennas waving
They all do it the same
They all do it the same way”
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Any such racist statue belongs in a museum to educate, not in a public square. There is a big difference.
Any statue in a public square that is already up should need public approval in that city or state to be removed. If the majority votes for removal that’s good for me. Otherwise it should remain. Majority rules.
Tulane Class of 1981
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:19 pm

Any statue in a public square that is already up should need public approval in that city or state to be removed. If the majority votes for removal that’s good for me. Otherwise it should remain. Majority rules.
Jim Crowe laws were widely approved via an open vote. Do you agree with that metric. With overwhelming voter support, should we have allowed for separate but equal?

https://news.gallup.com/vault/197372/ga ... equal.aspx

Are you proud of this? Is that the spirit of American democracy?

So in essence, as a southerner in the 50’s, you would agree that a black man or woman should be drinking from a separate fountain and sitting in the back of the bus because of voting majority?
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Mon May 03, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

This is such great talk about Tulane athletics.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:19 pm

Jim Crowe laws were widely approved via an open vote. Do you agree with that metric? With overwhelming voter support, should we have allowed for separate but equal in the southern states? Voter sentiment was clear.

https://news.gallup.com/vault/197372/ga ... equal.aspx

Are you proud of this? Is that the spirit of American democracy? Actually a tough question IMO.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:50 pm This is such great talk about Tulane athletics.
"Non sibi, sed suis," = “Not for oneself, but for one’s own”
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Like I said this is such great talk about Tulane athletics . Really belongs in the Huddle. Great fun.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

mba I already answered let the majority decide. There is both good and bad in history. IMO you can only learn from history if it’s not canceled or washed away. Some believe Tulane was founded by a racist. Are you going to tear up your Tulane degree because of it?
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:59 am I already answered let the majority decide. There is both good and bad in history. IMO You can only learn from history if it’s not washed away.
most of todays students will not be educated, they will be indoctrinated...aaahhh shades of the "brown shirts" in Germany in the mid 1930's ..and we all know how that worked out...not so fast my friends, since we do not want to learn from history, let's try it again !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
swampnik
Surge

+1000
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Show Me
Tsunami

Audubon and Ben Franklin now on the cancel culture’s list
https://www.nola.com/news/education/art ... d3079.html
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:55 pm

“Much of the debate ignores the statue's private ownership and installation on private property, with the public and government having virtually no say in the matter.”

You and others should spend some time understanding how the german’s have treated their horrific history with jews.

Stop focusing on the actions of the wacky left/right media and make a decision on your own.

They all do it the same
You mean like the city ignored the private ownership on private land aspect of the Beauregard statue? It was well documented that the land and statue belonged to the park board, not the city.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 6:59 am mba I already answered let the majority decide. There is both good and bad in history. IMO you can only learn from history if it’s not canceled or washed away. Some believe Tulane was founded by a racist. Are you going to tear up your Tulane degree because of it?
So you agree that Jim Crow laws should have been upheld in the southern states when majority vote said so?

As to my degree. Changing the name of the university is asinine. My diploma is proudly displayed and framed forever until I leave this earth.

Even for the most wacky leftist, the line should be drawn when we celebrate in public space those who put their life on the line by taking up arms to protect enslavement of another human being. I hope that makes sense. Slave ownership is very different than fighting for slavery.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Wed May 05, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:08 am
mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:55 pm

They all do it the same
You mean like the city ignored the private ownership on private land aspect of the Beauregard statue? It was well documented that the land and statue belonged to the park board, not the city.
The Lenin statue in Seattle is owned and displayed by private citizens on private land. Maintained by private dollars. Though it is in poor taste IMO. But land owners have the right to display what they please, with some broad discretion.

City Park in New Orleans is owned and operated by the public.
“Belonged to the park board” are you serious with that? The board is a public entity. Who pays the board? Who pays to upkeep the park? For years, who paid to upkeep the statue in City Park?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Actually, I'll have to go back and look up the info again, because its been almost 4 years, but that's actually not how City Park works.

Here:
Although it is an urban park whose land is owned by the City of New Orleans, it is administered by the City Park Improvement Association, an arm of state government, not by the New Orleans Parks and Parkways Department. City Park is unusual in that it is a largely self-supporting public park, with most of its annual budget derived from self-generated revenue through user fees and donations

So everything in the park belongs to the STATE, not the city. And the land where the statue stood was GIVEN by the city TO the park at the time the statue was erected. Which means, it wasn't city property, and it wasn't ON city property, therefore the city had NO jurisdiction to remove the statue.

A similar thing actually applied to the Jeff Davis statue. It was commissioned and paid for by the Daughters of the Confederacy, and that block of median that it stood on was GIFTED to them by the city "in perpetuity" at the time the monument was placed. And there's no documentation anywhere that the city was ever given that land back. So again, it didn't belong to the city, and it wasn't on city property.

Sometimes it pays to research before we just assume things.
RobertM320
Green Wave

By the way mba, I'd bet you're also one of those that thinks the Confederate flags on I-95 in NC, on PRIVATE LAND, should also be removed?
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:17 pm By the way mba, I'd bet you're also one of those that thinks the Confederate flags on I-95 in NC, on PRIVATE LAND, should also be removed?
Did you fail 4th grade “reading with understanding”.
RobertM320
Green Wave

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:05 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:17 pm By the way mba, I'd bet you're also one of those that thinks the Confederate flags on I-95 in NC, on PRIVATE LAND, should also be removed?
I read it clearly. You're the one that made a point of putting this caveat in your statement:

"But land owners have the right to display what they please, with some broad discretion."

From what you seem to consider unacceptable, I'd be willing to bet that flag falls outside of what you would consider "some broad discretion.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 11:06 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:05 pm
I read it clearly. You're the one that made a point of putting this caveat in your statement:

"But land owners have the right to display what they please, with some broad discretion."

From what you seem to consider unacceptable, I'd be willing to bet that flag falls outside of what you would consider "some broad discretion.
No, broad discretion is law. A confederate flag is outside of that discretion. Though again in terribly poor taste and unproductive. Law and taste are separate.

You are legit having an argument over flying a confederate flag. Dude this is 2021 you want that badge?

So you bet wrong. As you have been wrong in this entire conversation