“Tulane” Ave now on the list of name changes

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

I’m sure the University won’t be far behind.
https://www.nola.com/gambit/news/the_la ... 03cda.html
And then there are candidates that could lead to other, much more significant name change fights, most notably Tulane Avenue, named after Paul Tulane.

Tulane is most often remembered as a philanthropist, and technically that’s true; he funded higher education. But according to the city researchers, the New Jersey native was also the largest donor to the Confederate States of America. He also bought the University of Louisiana — which would unsurprisingly be renamed after him — and privatized it.
If they change the schools name I’m 100% done with my support.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

I’m with you TPS.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Hell University of Texas @ Austin is changing almost all the names of the athletic facilites....the Jamail family, who have given millions, will now have their names removed...the stadium 'field" will now be named after campbell and williams..as far as Tulane ave being renamed...hooray for Paul Tulane, the last time I drove down/thru Tulane ave it looked like a total crime scene
Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Bigschtick
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:07 am I’m sure the University won’t be far behind.
And then there are candidates that could lead to other, much more significant name change fights, most notably Tulane Avenue, named after Paul Tulane.

Tulane is most often remembered as a philanthropist, and technically that’s true; he funded higher education. But according to the city researchers, the New Jersey native was also the largest donor to the Confederate States of America. He also bought the University of Louisiana — which would unsurprisingly be renamed after him — and privatized it.
Plus 1
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I'll love Tulane for as long as they're Tulane. Change the name, I'm done.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Wave755
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:07 am I’m sure the University won’t be far behind.

So far "Slave Trader U," a/k/a Yale, bastion of the American left, has not responded to demands for the change of the university's name. Although, 'Ole Robert E. Lee is in real trouble at W & L.

The LSU people would be overjoyed if the City changed the name for Tulane Avenue. I have a friend in public relations who did some work for LSUHSC and she repeatedly told me they demanded she find ways to list the addresses for their buildings in a way that would exclude "Tulane" from the location. In the end she just couldn't find a way to do so and LSWho reluctantly gave up on the idea. The only thing LSUHSC hates more than Tulane is Medical Malpractice Plaintiffs' lawyers; yes, I know so from personal experience. :D

Somehow, I think Latoya Cantrell and most of the council will give 'Ole Paul Tulane a "pass" on this one? 🤷‍♂️
Show Me
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:57 am

So far "Slave Trader U," a/k/a Yale, bastion of the American left, has not responded to demands for the change of the university's name. Although, 'Ole Robert E. Lee is in real trouble at W & L.

The LSU people would be overjoyed if the City changed the name for Tulane Avenue. I have a friend in public relations who did some work for LSUHSC and she repeatedly told me they demanded she find ways to list the addresses for their buildings in a way that would exclude "Tulane" from the location. In the end she just couldn't find a way to do so and LSWho reluctantly gave up on the idea. The only thing LSUHSC hates more than Tulane is Medical Malpractice Plaintiffs' lawyers; yes, I know so from personal experience. :D

Somehow, I think Latoya Cantrell and most of the council will give 'Ole Paul Tulane a "pass" on this one? 🤷‍♂️
I doubt it. But if they don’t change the Avenue name the school name will surely remain. If they do change the name of the street I’m sure the schools name change will be on the table with the Tulane board. Like others I’ll be completely done with the school if they change the name.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:16 am
Wave755 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:57 am

I doubt it. But if they don’t change the Avenue name the school name will surely remain. If they do change the name of the street I’m sure the schools name change will be on the table with the Tulane board. Like others I’ll be completely done with the school if they change the name.
We’ll have to see. I believe they will end up changing Tulane Ave though.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

The latest from "Yale News" on the "Cancel Yale" controversy. https://yaledailynews.com/blog/2020/06/ ... .%E2%80%9D

Due to the inordinate influence of Northeasters at Tulane, I would think if there is an effort to change the university's name the arguments both for and against will mirror those at present for "Cancel Yale."

And, by the way, one of the final victims of the "Great Terror" for the French Revolution, "virtue through terror" as coined by Maximilien Robespierre (18th century revolutionary version of "scared straight"), was none other than Robespierre himself.:clap: Yes, in the end even Robespierre had his own appointment with the Guillotine. So, let's hope the present insanity produces similar outcomes. :D
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 am I'll love Tulane for as long as they're Tulane. Change the name, I'm done.
I'm with you BigSteve.

The name has recognition country and worldwide. Change the name and we're some Johnny Come Lately. If Tulane University ceases to exist, I end any and all support.

When are they going to tear down the White House and Capitol buildings, that were built by slave labor?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
McWave
High Tide

As I sit in my car ready to pull out of my parking space, I glance at my review mirror. What is that I see? An intertwined TU sticker on my back window. Once Tulane Is removed from the Avenue, Will Tulane merchandise be racist.? This will get tricky.
McWave
High Tide

It’s blasphemy but here I go. Naming Rights. What could Tulane get to rename the university. $10 billion?
What could that do for TUs finances. Sports and academics more competitive with lower tuition. Would you do it? At what price? Think Bloomberg, Musk, Bill & Melinda, Bezos.....university.
MicMan
Swell

Why oh why would any Tulane loyalist want to be associated with the guy identified with the losers???

(Come to think of it, maybe that's where TU's pervasive negative mindset comes from. It's literally in the DNA...)

P.S. TU braintrust already disposed of Newcomb and its namesake...
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:49 pm P.S. TU braintrust already disposed of Newcomb and its namesake...
Braintrust? That was Scott Cowen, no brain available for that event.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
swampnik
Surge

From Nola.com: There’s no chance the city won’t run into resistance to efforts to change any of the street names, but Palmer said she hopes that by being transparent and engaging the public, the city can avoid some of the acrimony that has surrounded the statue fight.

Me: If there is resistance then a city-wide vote should have been made before the Statue removals and also now going forward to let the majority of Nola citizens make the choice of wanting any streets to be re-named. This is just inertia that will run rampant with no logical end in sight. Next will be the re-naming of the city of Slidell? Loyola University cause of the Basque origins of the founder of the Jesuits? No Wave Univ?
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Aberzombie1892
Swell

McWave wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:15 pm It’s blasphemy but here I go. Naming Rights. What could Tulane get to rename the university. $10 billion?
What could that do for TUs finances. Sports and academics more competitive with lower tuition. Would you do it? At what price? Think Bloomberg, Musk, Bill & Melinda, Bezos.....university.
I don't believe that the name of Tulane is on the table, since the name of more prestigious universities is the most valuable thing that those universities have. However, if it was and Tulane could get $5B+ for a new name, I wouldn't be opposed to it. Tulane -needs- that kind of money.
Wave755
Tsunami

swampnik wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:21 pm From Nola.com: There’s no chance the city won’t run into resistance to efforts to change any of the street names, but Palmer said she hopes that by being transparent and engaging the public, the city can avoid some of the acrimony that has surrounded the statue fight.

Me: If there is resistance then a city-wide vote should have been made before the Statue removals and also now going forward to let the majority of Nola citizens make the choice of wanting any streets to be re-named. This is just inertia that will run rampant with no logical end in sight. Next will be the re-naming of the city of Slidell? Loyola University cause of the Basque origins of the founder of the Jesuits? No Wave Univ?
At least a commission will ensure a thoughtful and deliberative process unlike the "screaming sessions" Landrieu initiated and presided over at the Council Chambers concerning removal of the Confederate statues of Lee, Beauregard and Davis. This will also allow for a "cooling off period" from the near hysteria at present for BLM.
Wave755
Tsunami

Strange, but happily I don't see either Washington Avenue or Jackson Avenue on the list? 8-) :D ;)🤫
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:47 am
NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:54 am I'll love Tulane for as long as they're Tulane. Change the name, I'm done.
I'm with you BigSteve.

The name has recognition country and worldwide. Change the name and we're some Johnny Come Lately. If Tulane University ceases to exist, I end any and all support.

When are they going to tear down the White House and Capitol buildings, that were built by slave labor?
+1
Jaxwave
Swell

McWave wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:39 pm As I sit in my car ready to pull out of my parking space, I glance at my review mirror. What is that I see? An intertwined TU sticker on my back window. Once Tulane Is removed from the Avenue, Will Tulane merchandise be racist.? This will get tricky.
I’ll buy dozens of items at deep discount and wear them every day and every where. That’s of course if they’re not burned.
Jaxwave
Swell

Was the Duke of Orleans a racist?
RollWaveRoll
Low Tide

USA is the least racist country in the world. I spit my coffee out the other day when I saw a Nike ad about race and oppression. I thought is this the same Nike that has Chinese slaves making all their product?

I stand with USA. And I stand with Tulane. When you stand for USA you know you are on the right side of things.
Wave755
Tsunami

Jaxwave wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:15 pm Was the Duke of Orleans a racist?
And, was Joan of Arc, “The Maid of Orleans,” a religious bigot and xenophobe? :D
exflash
High Tide

....So if Tulane doesn’t change its name, well yes I guess it will used against them in recruiting.......somewhere along the line this has to end.........thoughts on this being just plain crazy???
Ruski
Swell

RollWaveRoll wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:37 pm USA is the least racist country in the world.
I spit out of my coffee in laughter! You must've not visited many countries. Are we the worst? No. But we're far from the best.