“Tulane” Ave now on the list of name changes

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

while those in nola power run in cirlcles chasing their azzes,
https://www.nola.com/news/politics/arti ... a0498.html

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

MicMan wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 9:52 am You're surprised? New Orleans population is 60% black.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/ ... /PST045219
So? Its also 40% white. And I'd DAMN WELL BET that the VAST MAJORITY of money spent in the city comes from whites.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The vast majority was spent from groups from out of state.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:36 am The vast majority was spent from groups from out of state.
would that be called 'tourism".... Many people from around here who to nola, always ask what places to see...I give them a list, and tell them to make sure to visit during daylight hours only, and get the hell out of Orleans parish.....I then follow up, with my best advice, "DON'T GO" !!!
Last edited by golfnut69 on Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
swampnik
Surge

From Nola.com : The recommended changes also include swapping the names of Confederate generals on a cluster of four streets in Lakeview – Walker, Mouton, Lane and Bragg – for the names of four enslaved people who escaped their captors: Jasper, Margaret Elizabeth, Georges and Celestine.

Me: That is fine but Walker, Mouton et cie were not their captors. Could the board also think of maybe replacing one white for another white at times just for fairness sake? Of course, with all this renaming front and center, the fate of the statues is totally stalled. Mayor Cantrell should get those 4 gentlemen over to Metairie Cemetery with all due haste. If she thinks this cluster would not be be socially distanced enough; than I'm sure President Davis would be received with open arms at Beauvoir.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
swampnik
Surge

Wave755 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:19 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:09 pm
Wave755 wrote: Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:34 pm
🤔Idk, re-named for a Mardi Gras Indian Chief? They might go for something like "Medical Centers of Louisiana Drive," but a Treme Mardi Gras Indian Chief?
They're for anything but Tulane.
So, the address for LSU Health Sciences Center might soon be 1542 Big Chief Allison “Tootie” Montana Avenue, New Orleans, LA 70112. :D :lol: :P
Chef Merde Ave. could have been more apropos.
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Oakleaf
Trickle

Who would want a bumpy 3rd world road associated with their name anyway. This cities streets make the Baja off road run look tame.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

memo to the Tulane Board...change the name of Cowen circle jerk to Steve Martin Blvd..... Drill Rd to Harold Sylvester Drive..now, we are PC'd or PO'd...depending upon your point of view...in my view, no streets should be named after anyone or anybody, whichever is correct......especially Politicans, who for the most part are nothing more then well paid "welfare particpants"...especially those elected for over 40 years,...they need political death
swampnik
Surge

Whew! One that just escaped the cut. Freret Street.
William Freret's mother was Creole (read white). He died in 1864.
He was twice May of Nola. he joined the Native American Party, a new political group that sought to limit the influence on public affairs of Creoles and other groups viewed as "foreign" (read mixed blood).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Freret
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
Wave755
Tsunami

San Francisco Public School System to remove names of Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Diane Feinstein from schools? https://www.npr.org/2021/01/28/96151139 ... and-others

And, who is next, Jesus of Nazareth who lived his entire life in a slave owning culture and society but made no known criticism of slavery, or perhaps his apostles Peter & Paul, cofounders of the Christian church, who both counseled slaves to be obedient to their masters?

🤔And, what about Martin Luther King, Jr. who plagiarized his doctoral dissertation and was a philanderer?
gbgreenie
Surge

Wave755 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:15 pm San Francisco Public School System to remove names of Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Diane Feinstein from schools? https://www.npr.org/2021/01/28/96151139 ... and-others

And, who is next, Jesus of Nazareth who lived his entire life in a slave owning culture and society but made no known criticism of slavery, or perhaps his apostles Peter & Paul, cofounders of the Christian church, who both counseled slaves to be obedient to their masters?

🤔And, what about Martin Luther King, Jr. who plagiarized his doctoral dissertation and was a philanderer?
We must call out this form of Racism, I can see the point of the Confederacy but that does not mean all things confederate must be replaced with Black figures, like we have no White heroes to honor. Let's force them to consider all races and nationalities when replacing Confederate figures. It may slow them down some if they are called out for what it is Racism.
Wave755
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:34 am
Wave755 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:15 pm San Francisco Public School System to remove names of Abraham Lincoln, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson and Diane Feinstein from schools? https://www.npr.org/2021/01/28/96151139 ... and-others

We must call out this form of Racism, I can see the point of the Confederacy but that does not mean all things confederate must be replaced with Black figures, like we have no White heroes to honor. Let's force them to consider all races and nationalities when replacing Confederate figures. It may slow them down some if they are called out for what it is Racism.
+1, I thought the very same thing, “if Abraham Lincoln can’t ‘make the cut’ what white man or woman can?” When all is said and done it would appear for San Francisco at least, all public schools will be named for either black or Native American people. Yet, no race holds a monopoly for either virtue or vice?
anEngineer
Riptide

They shouldn't be renaming any streets for such a silly reason, but if they do, the streets should not be named after anyone. You just run the risk of a future woke culture with the same pettiness about the new people. Stop naming anything after people; name them after things. As a reference to renaming, I can guarantee that in New Orleans, many more blacks have been killed on Martin Luther King Blvd then Robert E Lee Blvd.
Show Me
Tsunami

anEngineer wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:30 pm They shouldn't be renaming any streets for such a silly reason, but if they do, the streets should not be named after anyone. You just run the risk of a future woke culture with the same pettiness about the new people. Stop naming anything after people; name them after things. As a reference to renaming, I can guarantee that in New Orleans, many more blacks have been killed on Martin Luther King Blvd then Robert E Lee Blvd.
They “woke” me up because I had no idea the streets in my city were offensive until they told everyone they need to be offended. :?
I guess that’s what the “woke” is all about. W0ke people from the dead on how everything is racist about this country and you can actually create unity. :beathead: :beathead: :beathead:
Wave755
Tsunami

Here you go Wave fans, attached find list of final recommendations of the Street Renaming Commission for street and park name changes in New Orleans. https://www.wdsu.com/article/street-ren ... a/35622777

And, Alison “Tootie” Montana Avenue it is for Tulane Avenue.🤘🏻
austxwave
High Tide

This is so asinine!
GreenLantern
Riptide

I have registered the domain name GoTootieMontana.net just in case.

If the name is changed from Tulane University to anything else, I am going to be pissed. How pissed will you be GreenLantern? Probably pissed enough to tell people I graduated from Trump University.
Wave755
Tsunami

If Pres. Michael Fitts now proposes changing Tulane's name to Alison "Tootie" Montana University, we of GoTula must please remind him, although while doing so would be quite "woke," the new name would create "branding issues" since too long to fit even on a XXXL t-shirt.😂😂😂
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

If Tulane University would ever change its name, I'm done.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:59 am If Tulane University would ever change its name, I'm done.
Same here
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
RobertM320
Green Wave

The city couldn't pay the school enough money to change. The branding is too valuable. And they also can't force them to change. And if the school were to change it, I'd vote that we just drop the Tulane and go with the University of Louisiana, which we are. Then, we can brand all our teams Louisiana, and tell ULALA to bite us.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
GreenLantern
Riptide

Alison "Tootie" Montana. "Tootie". Really?

When I first heard this, I was reminded of a client in Florida. The individual was an attorney who struck it rich in a John-Grisham-like case and immediately retired to the Florida beaches and opened a retail store by the name of "Tootie Green's". Finding this name a bid odd for retail branding, I asked my client of it's origin. All I got was a wicked smile and a brief explanation that it was the punchline of a ribald joke. Well, it didn't take a great deal of Internet sleuthing to find the joke. Here it is if you're bored and not easily offended:
I was surprised and disappointed to hear that Tulane Ave. was to be renamed "Tootie Montana". Since we're referred to as the Greenies and with the not-so-flattering history of Tootie Green, I fear the next step will have us called the Tootie Green Wave. Whaddya think?
swampnik
Surge

City Council: ça va pas la tete! (Freret still not touched).
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nola has bigger issues than street names...and they better start "addressing" them.. is Tulane ave still the homes to whores, pimps and crack heads...if so, I am glad the Tulane name will not be associated with the area
Wave755
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:15 am Alison "Tootie" Montana. "Tootie". Really?

When I first heard this, I was reminded of a client in Florida. The individual was an attorney who struck it rich in a John-Grisham-like case and immediately retired to the Florida beaches and opened a retail store by the name of "Tootie Green's". Finding this name a bid odd for retail branding, I asked my client of it's origin. All I got was a wicked smile and a brief explanation that it was the punchline of a ribald joke. Well, it didn't take a great deal of Internet sleuthing to find the joke.
:D :lol: :clap:
Last edited by Wave755 on Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.