Targeting rule revised

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:24 pm and a few other changes
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ther-rules
The intent needs a review.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:58 pm
When I'm watching, I see a lot of these calls when the tackler (usually a DB or LB) lowers his head and then the ball carrier lowers his head and/or body and head to head contact is the result and the tackler gets booted. First of all, they have to PREACH not to lower your head to lead with your helmet. But at the same time, it's not fair to rule it targeting if the tackler went lower with his helmet before the ball carrier ducked down.

The spirit of the rule is to prevent injuries, the execution of the rule has lead to some senseless ejections.
Last edited by DfromCT on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:58 pm
there were several reviews that I thought the Offensive player was guilty of putting himself in postion to be targeted, by lowering his head and shoulders into the defensive, whose helmet was in the chest area at time of tackle initiation, but whose helmet was now above the shoulders because of the lowering of the Offensive players shoulder pads to absorb the blow....after that post, I am ready to take on Morris Bart !
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

Head to head collisions happen on every play at the los. Linebackers blitzing, db's gapping on run support. O-lineman & D-lineman spend the entire game slamming into each other with their heads.
The notion that a few conspicuous "targeting" calls is reducing the frequency of involuntary snow angels is laughable.
Window dressing👍