Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
gbgreenie
Surge

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:38 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:33 pm gbg,

That article was from SEVEN MONTHS ago, when the virus had only been in the US for FOUR MONTHS. There's no way in 3 months of spread that they could determine if ANYONE, much less what percentage of people would actually have long term problems from the virus. You're just grasping at straws.

As for those that "have minor symptoms, later on much more damage is found", again, enough time hasn't even elapsed to determine that. And if you notice, you hear very little now about long-Covid, because its such a small percentage of cases.

The thing is, for every ONE PERSON that's written about in these articles, there's 100,000 people out there that had mild or no symptoms and DONT have long term issues.
Ok, this is the latest on Long Term Symptoms and its still 1/3 of covid19 cases all ages!!!
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2021021 ... symptoms#1
About 33% of COVID-19 patients who were never sick enough to require hospitalization continue to complain months later of symptoms like fatigue, loss of smell or taste and "brain fog," University of Washington (UW) researchers found.

"We were surprised to have one-third of people with mild illness still experiencing symptoms," said lead researcher Jennifer Logue. She's a research scientist with the UW department of medicine's division of allergy and infectious diseases, in Seattle. "If you contract coronavirus, there's a good chance you could experience a lingering effect."

NOLABigSteve
Riptide

:shock: gbg, you're having a convo with yourself at this point. Jeez man, COVID isn't the only thing going on in the world today. Take a masked breath or two.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
MicMan
Swell

I mildly surprised to find that Tulane fans -- who have been abused for decades -- don't just believe anything someone tells them.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

per the researcher.."if you contract C19 there is a good chance U could have lingering effects"
per me..."then again, there is a good chance you won't"..ever since a hospital in Florida reported two men killed by bullets to the head, as C19 vicitms, I believe very little of whatever is reported, by whomever....memo to Jennifer Logue, if you are truly a "researcher" ya better be surprised of what U find, if you're not, then U ain't doin' much researchin'
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

gbgreenie wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:40 am
RobertM320 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:33 pm gbg,

That article was from SEVEN MONTHS ago, when the virus had only been in the US for FOUR MONTHS. There's no way in 3 months of spread that they could determine if ANYONE, much less what percentage of people would actually have long term problems from the virus. You're just grasping at straws.

As for those that "have minor symptoms, later on much more damage is found", again, enough time hasn't even elapsed to determine that. And if you notice, you hear very little now about long-Covid, because its such a small percentage of cases.

The thing is, for every ONE PERSON that's written about in these articles, there's 100,000 people out there that had mild or no symptoms and DONT have long term issues.
Ok, this is the latest on Long Term Symptoms and its still 1/3 of covid19 cases all ages!!!
About 33% of COVID-19 patients who were never sick enough to require hospitalization continue to complain months later of symptoms like fatigue, loss of smell or taste and "brain fog," University of Washington (UW) researchers found.

"We were surprised to have one-third of people with mild illness still experiencing symptoms," said lead researcher Jennifer Logue. She's a research scientist with the UW department of medicine's division of allergy and infectious diseases, in Seattle. "If you contract coronavirus, there's a good chance you could experience a lingering effect."
Except the only one of those symptoms that you can CLEARLY attribute to Covid would be the loss of smell or taste. Right now "fatigue" and "brain fog" could just as easily be a symptom of having been locked down for the past year. Eventually you just don't feel like doing anything. And this study WAS done in Washington state, which has been more locked down than places like Florida or Texas. Hard to make a case based on study done in a single city, with such a small sample (177), when so many other factors could play a part.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
gbgreenie
Surge

RobertM320 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:11 pm
gbgreenie wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:40 am

Except the only one of those symptoms that you can CLEARLY attribute to Covid would be the loss of smell or taste. Right now "fatigue" and "brain fog" could just as easily be a symptom of having been locked down for the past year. Eventually you just don't feel like doing anything. And this study WAS done in Washington state, which has been more locked down than places like Florida or Texas. Hard to make a case based on study done in a single city, with such a small sample (177), when so many other factors could play a part.
Even the Big Ten had issues with its athletes having the covid related heart issues, why they postponed their season. Ton of covid issues that are proven as it attacks all the systems in the human body not just the lungs like most viruses, brain issues, research that it could speed up altheimer in adults. Studies are far reaching on the effects to the total human body. the thickening of the blood and clotting that occurs in no other virus has caused heart attacks and stroke from the clots.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:50 am
tpstulane wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:01 am
primetboosters wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:27 amRight
LOL. Your first post? You joined to post that?
Come on gbg you can do better.
My initial reaction as well. But I think it's a testosterone boosting product promo. Should be deleted. I won't click the link to find out!
This. Another hacker.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:50 am
tpstulane wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:01 am
primetboosters wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:27 amRight
LOL. Your first post? You joined to post that?
Come on gbg you can do better.
My initial reaction as well. But I think it's a testosterone boosting product promo. Should be deleted. I won't click the link to find out!
Ok. I use Brave Browser and those links were blocked. I’ll delete thanks.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Oh well. Nola not joining La in Ph 3
Queen LaToya knows better.
https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/a ... c2193.html
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

texas will be 100 percent open by march 10th with no mask mandate..I get my shot on Thursday...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:20 pm texas will be 100 percent open by march 10th with no mask mandate..I get my shot on Thursday...
🤗🤗🤗🤗
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

Only Utah and Georgia have administered the COVID vaccine to a smaller percentage of their population than Texas. Two states.

Even so, Texas is abandoning any mask-wearing requirement. I hope my GoTula.net friends will remain vigilant and continue to mask up for a few more weeks (at least until they have received both shots). Please don't risk your lives so as to bolster the political careers of your governor and senators. Please. It's not worth it to the people you love.

That's it. That's my post. Peace out.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

It all seems fool hearty and an attempt to score cheap political points at the expense of at risk folks. Here’s an idea: Start opening things up, but slowly ease the reduced capacity and mask mandate for another month or two. Everyone is so close to the finish line, just stagger the openings and capacity to hedge your bets. WaPo has 43% of the prioritized at risk population has been vaccinated. In one to two months that number will likely be double. I’m not asking for shelter in place or closing businesses, just stagger the openings and capacity.
Last edited by Bicoastalwave on Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Tulane baseball allowed attendance increase starting this weekend. 18% capacity. Anyone know if we sell these out?
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:49 pm Tulane baseball allowed attendance increase starting this weekend. 18% capacity. Anyone know if we sell these out?
Not worth the hassle. You have to buy 4 or 2 tickets at full price (no discount for loyal multi year season ticket holders and donors) then try to sell the extras to others if you’re going solo like I do. It’s too easy to stay home and watch on + for $5.99 a month. Basketball and Football tickets were free but they going to gouge baseball fans. No thanks.
I’m going tonight to Hammond because it $9 and I can buy one ticket.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:58 am
Your hero Dr. Fauci is over-the-hill. Over forty years of sitting behind a desk has made him archaic. At this point in his life he's just trying to extend his media fame--nothing more or less. Medically speaking, the guy is a dinosaur.
I agree that gbg is over the top (in his own words, he's being a "blow hard" and I have been on the same side as he for most of the pandemic.) But calling Fauci a dinosaur and over the hill seems more like a political response than anything else. It's comedic relief when you, an internet and FoxNews educated expert, pretends to know more than the man who has done more for infectious disease medicine than anyone that's walked the earth.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:01 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:58 am
Your hero Dr. Fauci is over-the-hill. Over forty years of sitting behind a desk has made him archaic. At this point in his life he's just trying to extend his media fame--nothing more or less. Medically speaking, the guy is a dinosaur.
I agree that gbg is over the top (in his own words, he's being a "blow hard" and I have been on the same side as he for most of the pandemic.) But calling Fauci a dinosaur and over the hill seems more like a political response than anything else. It's comedic relief when you, an internet and FoxNews educated expert, pretends to know more than the man who has done more for infectious disease medicine than anyone that's walked the earth.
Fauci has done much for fighting infectious diseases, but he's past his prime, and now seeks as much media face time as he can get. This pandemic will likely be his last hurrah, and he knows it. He flip flops continually and has flat out lied to the public during this pandemic--a pandemic that he has really had very little impact on. Politics has little to do with it, other than in your head. He's just trying to stay relevant for as long as he can. I'll put my faith in the doctors who treat patients and don't seek the nearest TV crew.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:37 am
Fauci has done much for fighting infectious diseases, but he's past his prime, and now seeks as much media face time as he can get. This pandemic will likely be his last hurrah, and he knows it. He flip flops continually and has flat out lied to the public during this pandemic--a pandemic that he has really had very little impact on. Politics has little to do with it, other than in your head. He's just trying to stay relevant for as long as he can. I'll put my faith in the doctors who treat patients and don't seek the nearest TV crew.
That's exactly the way it should be. Put your faith in the doctors seeing patients that rely upon research. And those researchers were taught and continue to learn from Dr. Fauci. Researchers will continue to learn from him after his death. And your's and mine as well.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Love this!

'COVID does not exist in Knoxville,' Vanderbilt baseball's Tim Corbin says of lively Tennessee crowd

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports ... 278983002/
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:00 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:37 am
That's exactly the way it should be. Put your faith in the doctors seeing patients that rely upon research. And those researchers were taught and continue to learn from Dr. Fauci. Researchers will continue to learn from him after his death. And your's and mine as well.
Well hopefully not too soon.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
NotJtS
Low Tide

ccap05
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:49 am per the researcher.."if you contract C19 there is a good chance U could have lingering effects"
per me..."then again, there is a good chance you won't"..ever since a hospital in Florida reported two men killed by bullets to the head, as C19 vicitms, I believe very little of whatever is reported, by whomever....memo to Jennifer Logue, if you are truly a "researcher" ya better be surprised of what U find, if you're not, then U ain't doin' much researchin'
Where do you get your claim that "a hospital in Florida reported two men killed by bullets to the head, as C19 vicitms," (sic.). These types of claims are made all the time but there never seems to be any support for the claims from reputable sources. I have no interest in a drawn out debate on this forum dedicated to Tulane sports about the seriousness of COVID or the extent of the death toll, but I am interested in reading your source material. Thanks.
RobertM320
Green Wave

ccap05 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:26 am
golfnut69 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:49 am per the researcher.."if you contract C19 there is a good chance U could have lingering effects"
Where do you get your claim that "a hospital in Florida reported two men killed by bullets to the head, as C19 vicitms," (sic.). These types of claims are made all the time but there never seems to be any support for the claims from reputable sources. I have no interest in a drawn out debate on this forum dedicated to Tulane sports about the seriousness of COVID or the extent of the death toll, but I am interested in reading your source material. Thanks.
https://www.wpbf.com/article/medical-ex ... s/33420066#

"The list included a 60-year-old man who died of a gunshot wound to the head; several people who died of cancer, and one who died from a hip fracture following a fall."

https://www.freedomfoundation.com/washi ... 19-deaths/

"In remarks made during a telephonic press briefing, DOH officials even acknowledged knowingly including multiple deaths caused by gunshot wounds in the state’s COVID-19 fatality count."

https://cbs12.com/news/local/man-who-di ... ida-report

"Pino's answer was that one of the two people who was listed as a COVID death actually died in a motorcycle crash. Despite health officials knowing the man died in a motorcycle crash, it is unclear whether or not his death was removed from the overall count in the state."
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

I'm going to leave this here without comment. Read it or don't read it. Its strictly factual numbers. How you interpret it is your own choice.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1386 ... 19204.html
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

one more death misrepresented...I had a friend diagnosed with Brain Cancer...given about 10 weeks to live...he lasted about 12 weeks...when my friends wife got the Death Certificate, it showed C-19 as cause of death...when she questioned this, she was told he had trouble breathing in his "final moments"...this happened about 2 months ago in Waco Tex...I saw the death certiicate myself yesterday