Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
Show Me
Tsunami

I believe in faith. It’s God’s will how and when you will die. That’s why I’m going to live every F’g day like it’s my last. Just about every close family member I know has had it including myself. God gave us mild cases. Sorry for anyone that loses their life from it but it’s God’s will. May all the families effected by death has some peace with that.

MicMan
Swell

Show Me wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:08 am I believe in faith. It’s God’s will how and when you will die. That’s why I’m going to live every F’g day like it’s my last. Just about every close family member I know has had it including myself. God gave us mild cases. Sorry for anyone that loses their life from it but it’s God’s will. May all the families effected by death has some peace with that.
You'll let us all know ahead of time when you plan to drive a car.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Here’s a sad story about my neighbor’s 102 year old mom that died on Christmas Day alone in a nursing home incredibly she got Covid in April of this year and survived and fully recovered from it. She’s actually related to some folks that post here. She was 102 and 6 months when she died on the 25th.
Was fine until recently when she told her caretaker that she wanted to die. The lockdown really was bad for her. No one could visit or even talk very much to her. She was so lonely she didn’t want to live anymore. So sad.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:21 am Here’s a sad story about my neighbor’s 102 year old mom that died on Christmas Day alone in a nursing home incredibly she got Covid in April of this year and survived and fully recovered from it. She’s actually related to some folks that post here. She was 102 and 6 months when she died on the 25th.
Was fine until recently when she told her caretaker that she wanted to die. The lockdown really was bad for her. No one could visit or even talk very much to her. She was so lonely she didn’t want to live anymore. So sad.
very sad to lose anyone...I have only seen my Mother twice in 2020...before C-19, I drove to Gonzales every 5 to 6 weeks to spend 3 or 4 days with her, usually arrived Thursday afternoon and left Sunday afternoon...we talk at least twice daily ..she calls every morning right at 8am...I call her every evening about 6pm....she is 93 and it gives her something to look forward to each day...I send her a box of goodies every few weeks..The Assisted center she lives at is very well organized, numerous activites and spotless... we are well pleased with her care
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:14 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:21 am Here’s a sad story about my neighbor’s 102 year old mom that died on Christmas Day alone in a nursing home incredibly she got Covid in April of this year and survived and fully recovered from it. She’s actually related to some folks that post here. She was 102 and 6 months when she died on the 25th.
very sad to lose anyone...I have only seen my Mother twice in 2020...before C-19, I drove to Gonzales every 5 to 6 weeks to spend 3 or 4 days with her, usually arrived Thursday afternoon and left Sunday afternoon...we talk at least twice daily ..she calls every morning right at 8am...I call her every evening about 6pm....she is 93 and it gives her something to look forward to each day...I send her a box of goodies every few weeks..The Assisted center she lives at is very well organized, numerous activites and spotless... we are well pleased with her care
That's great Golf. Keep it up--cuz when they're gone, they're gone.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:10 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:14 pm
That's great Golf. Keep it up--cuz when they're gone, they're gone.
Rite after I posted, the center called and told me the C-19 vaccination release form was being emailed. I signed and sent it back to them a few miuntes ago...so help is on the horizon in Louisiana...they hope to have the vaccine administered in the next two weeks
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:08 am I believe in faith. It’s God’s will how and when you will die. That’s why I’m going to live every F’g day like it’s my last. Just about every close family member I know has had it including myself. God gave us mild cases. Sorry for anyone that loses their life from it but it’s God’s will. May all the families effected by death has some peace with that.
So God disliked those who died? His “will” was that they should not live?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:48 pm
So God disliked those who died? His “will” was that they should not live?
just my opinion... I believe in Heaven, when I am called, I look forward to a joyful reunion with my Dad, two younger brothers, everyone in my Family and my Dogs... I understand the Golf courses are immaculate there
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:44 pm Rite after I posted, the center called and told me the C-19 vaccination release form was being emailed. I signed and sent it back to them a few miuntes ago...so help is on the horizon in Louisiana...they hope to have the vaccine administered in the next two weeks
Wonderful news, golf! Hope you are able to visit her soon.
Show Me
Tsunami

Dream case for Democrats continuing lockdowns. Nurse test positive after receiving vaccine.
https://www.binnews.com/content/2020-12 ... g-vaccine/
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:00 pm Dream case for Democrats continuing lockdowns. Nurse test positive after receiving vaccine.
You are an embarrassment politicizing a pandemic.

This is a website for Tulane sports, please do not start political or religious discussions.
GreenLantern
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:26 pm
Show Me wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:00 pm Dream case for Democrats continuing lockdowns. Nurse test positive after receiving vaccine.
You are an embarrassment associating
politics to health.

This is a website for Tulane sports, please do not start political or religious discussions.
C'mon man! The title of this thread is COVID. It is located in DER RATHSKELLER which is designated for anything "athletic or non-athletic". There's no way to have a meaningful dialog about COVID without political overtones. ShowMe may have been endoctrinated into the Trump cult and I definitely wouldn't vote for him if he runs for office. However, he has every right to post political positions on COVID in this thread, as ill-informed and misguided as they might be.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:32 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:26 pm
You are an embarrassment associating
politics to health.

C'mon man! The title of this thread is COVID. It is located in DER RATHSKELLER which is designated for anything "athletic or non-athletic". There's no way to have a meaningful dialog about COVID without political overtones. ShowMe may have been endoctrinated into the Trump cult and I definitely wouldn't vote for him if he runs for office. However, he has every right to post political positions on COVID in this thread, as ill-informed and misguided as they might be.
You are correct. I apologize to all.

This will not stop my disdain for politicizing this pandemic and generalizing. We all must think deeper.

Ya’ll be good and safe. Freaking get 2020 in the mirror.
RobertM320
Green Wave

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:40 am
Show Me wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:55 am
Jaxwave wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:39 am Quick question was the Congressman a smoker, if anybody knows?
God Bless him.
He died serving his country. I’m sure the media won’t report anything that may have to do with something other than Covid. It’s a great opportunity to shove it your face if you’re not on board with complete lockdowns.
Mask deniers... Folks that refuse to honor the simplest guidelines having to do with safety precautions... Sheesh..

A young man dies and immediately the deniers look for explanations other than COVID so as to justify their political agenda and that of their cult leader. It's got to be about money. The hospital and/or doctor gets additional funds for processing COVID deaths. Unbelievable. The concept of comorbidities is beyond their grasp. You see, if I am elderly and overweight at the time I smash my car into a utility pole, it is the utility pole that kills me.

This reminds me of a four-man group project in a senior-level Tulane class. I was already an old man at the time (52) and my three project partners were 19-20 year-olds. They wanted to drink and socialize every night and I was stuck with completing the project alone. For those who are struggling with this metaphor, COVID is the project and a few of us are stuck with the work of wearing masks, social distancing, and making mature decisions such as avoiding many things we enjoy (restaurants, football games, etc.) in order to assure our own safety and to expedite a recovery. The rest do what they want, when they want, and will ultimately benefit from the work and sacrifice of others.
You do realize this goes exactly against EVERYTHING mask supporters say? They say masks aren't to protect you, they're to protect others. Well, its now become pretty clear from studies that asymptomatic people aren't spreading the disease. So if you're not sick, there's no benefit to the mask. You can't spread it, and the mask can't stop you from getting it, because the virus is smaller than the holes in the mask.

I've reached the point where I'm about to make my business mask-optional. I never allow more than one customer into the office at a time. If someone wants to come in without a mask, the only person they would put at risk is me, except I've had it. I'll wear a mask to make any customers that prefer to wear a mask feel more comfortable, but there's no reason for me to force someone to wear a mask when I'm the only one there except for them.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Green Wave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:56 pm
Show Me wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:55 am God Bless him.
He died serving his country. I’m sure the media won’t report anything that may have to do with something other than Covid. It’s a great opportunity to shove it your face if you’re not on board with complete lockdowns.
Mask deniers... Folks that refuse to honor the simplest guidelines having to do with safety precautions... Sheesh..

A young man dies and immediately the deniers look for explanations other than COVID so as to justify their political agenda and that of their cult leader. It's got to be about money. The hospital and/or doctor gets additional funds for processing COVID deaths. Unbelievable. The concept of comorbidities is beyond their grasp. You see, if I am elderly and overweight at the time I smash my car into a utility pole, it is the utility pole that kills me.

This reminds me of a four-man group project in a senior-level Tulane class. I was already an old man at the time (52) and my three project partners were 19-20 year-olds. They wanted to drink and socialize every night and I was stuck with completing the project alone. For those who are struggling with this metaphor, COVID is the project and a few of us are stuck with the work of wearing masks, social distancing, and making mature decisions such as avoiding many things we enjoy (restaurants, football games, etc.) in order to assure our own safety and to expedite a recovery. The rest do what they want, when they want, and will ultimately benefit from the work and sacrifice of others.
You do realize this goes exactly against EVERYTHING mask supporters say? They say masks aren't to protect you, they're to protect others. Well, its now become pretty clear from studies that asymptomatic people aren't spreading the disease. So if you're not sick, there's no benefit to the mask. You can't spread it, and the mask can't stop you from getting it, because the virus is smaller than the holes in the mask.

I've reached the point where I'm about to make my business mask-optional. I never allow more than one customer into the office at a time. If someone wants to come in without a mask, the only person they would put at risk is me, except I've had it. I'll wear a mask to make any customers that prefer to wear a mask feel more comfortable, but there's no reason for me to force someone to wear a mask when I'm the only one there except for them.
OMG dude. You are using an absolute to defend your point.

"Is there any scientific proof that masks prevent COVID-19 infection?
Yes. One of the most well-known studies was funded by the World Health Organization. Published in a major medical journal, the study compared potential COVID-19 infection rates with a mask versus no mask. Face masks reduced the chances of infection by more than 80 percent. With face masks, the chance of infection was 3.1 percent compared with 17.4 percent without a mask.

A newer study showed that even a crude cloth covering that is less than 100 percent protective against the virus could significantly reduce the number of infections, and ultimately, the number of deaths. And, a study in other respiratory viruses, including the flu and viruses causing the common cold, showed that masks prevented spread of infected droplets when masks were worn.

“When we wear masks, the risk of getting infected is a lot lower,” says Sandora."

https://discoveries.childrenshospital.o ... k-science/

Please wear a mask.
ROLL WAVE!
RobertM320
Green Wave

You missed my point completely. They've stressed for MONTHS that wearing masks is to protect OTHERS, not yourself. They've said that over and over, from Fauci, to the CDC, to state and local health departments.

And they ALSO said, "we may have to stay locked down until there's a vaccine." Guess what? There's three of them now. Start vaccinating the elderly and most at risk and open the damn country up.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:56 pm
Show Me wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:55 am God Bless him.

So bad. So so bad.

Mask supporters? U mean every medical professional? Every doctor. Every nurse. Literally anyone in the medical profession. EVERY SINGLE ONE! But RobertM320 knows better. Do you.
ajcalhoun
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:05 pm Mask supporters? U mean every medical professional? Every doctor. Every nurse. Literally anyone in the medical profession. EVERY SINGLE ONE! But RobertM320 knows better. Do you.
I know several nurses that call bullshit on mask-wearing. I wear them not because I believe in them but because I can't stand whiney bitches.
God Bless Everyone!
Green Wave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:27 pm You missed my point completely. They've stressed for MONTHS that wearing masks is to protect OTHERS, not yourself. They've said that over and over, from Fauci, to the CDC, to state and local health departments.

And they ALSO said, "we may have to stay locked down until there's a vaccine." Guess what? There's three of them now. Start vaccinating the elderly and most at risk and open the damn country up.
Oh I see I missed the point. My bad.

“We can say very clearly that wearing a mask is definitely helpful in preventing acquisition as well as transmission,” he said.

“It is always better to have a mask on than to not have a mask on, both for acquisition and for transmission,” Fauci added.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/will- ... 2020-07-09

Please wear a mask
ROLL WAVE!
GreenLantern
Riptide

Deniers gonna deny.
gbgreenie
Surge

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:26 pm Deniers gonna deny.
Unreal that people need the government to hold their hand about masks and social distancing. Internet is full of facts for people that want to stay ahead of the game. Nothing is ever 100%, living is odds. Eat healthy and workout increases your odds of living longer. Does not guarantee just increases odds in your favor. Same with mask and social distancing. One person wears a mask it helps, both wear mask the odds are better. Single layer masks are minimum protection, Triple layer high density is the best. Wear the most restrictive mask that you can breath with offers the best protection. Same with distance and time, closer you are with an infected person increases odds of getting infected. Also the longer you are within distance it increases the odds you get infected. About time and distance. Common sense, not rocket science, now do you need the government to wipe your butts, lollllllllll
https://nantucket-ma.gov/ImageRepositor ... ntID=36258
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:47 am
GreenLantern wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:26 pm Deniers gonna deny.
Unreal that people need the government to hold their hand about masks and social distancing. Internet is full of facts for people that want to stay ahead of the game. Nothing is ever 100%, living is odds. Eat healthy and workout increases your odds of living longer. Does not guarantee just increases odds in your favor. Same with mask and social distancing. One person wears a mask it helps, both wear mask the odds are better. Single layer masks are minimum protection, Triple layer high density is the best. Wear the most restrictive mask that you can breath with offers the best protection. Same with distance and time, closer you are with an infected person increases odds of getting infected. Also the longer you are within distance it increases the odds you get infected. About time and distance. Common sense, not rocket science, now do you need the government to wipe your butts, lollllllllll
https://nantucket-ma.gov/ImageRepositor ... ntID=36258
if getting your azz wipped by the government, can be done by "working the system"...their azz will be wipped by the government
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Not so fast.
Pfizer's vaccine is given in two doses — but FDA says first dose alone is highly effective
https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... es-but-fda
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:24 am
Not so fast.
Pfizer's vaccine is given in two doses — but FDA says first dose alone is highly effective
https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... es-but-fda
Some people may think otherwise, but you're not immune the moment you get the shot. It takes a couple of weeks to become effective.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:22 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:05 pm Mask supporters? U mean every medical professional? Every doctor. Every nurse. Literally anyone in the medical profession. EVERY SINGLE ONE! But RobertM320 knows better. Do you.
I know several nurses that call bullshit on mask-wearing. I wear them not because I believe in them but because I can't stand whiney bitches.
I just spoke to my friend who is an emergency room MD, he said those who fight against masks are “laughable fools”. Spend the 5 seconds to put on a mask, it is worth your time to protect yourself and others. Lets say a mask reduces covid spread by 1% or less, what do you have to lose?

Again, EVERY PERSON WORKING IN THE HEALTH PROFESSION WEARS A MASK. But ya’ll be you.

As for a nurse calling “bullshit” ask them to talk to to the MD on call. Then make their opinion public. As a health official, they need to share their correct POV with all of us so we can learn.