Coronavirus (COVID-19) Discussion

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:06 pm I think the vaccination is bullshit but I got my two Pfizers back in March to shut people up. I have my proof on my LA Wallet app so hopefully I will be good to go.
Same exact thing here

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:34 pm
ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:06 pm I think the vaccination is bullshit but I got my two Pfizers back in March to shut people up. I have my proof on my LA Wallet app so hopefully I will be good to go.
Same exact thing here
to quote FDR...The only thing we have to fear, are those not vaccinated
Last edited by golfnut69 on Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

For your children's sake, here's hoping you people who think the vaccination is "bullshit" don't have a similar attitude concerning those pesky inoculations for polio, tetanus, diphtheria, smallpox, mumps, measles, etc..
ajcalhoun
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:04 pm For your children's sake, here's hoping you people who think the vaccination is "bullshit" don't have a similar attitude concerning those pesky inoculations for polio, tetanus, diphtheria, smallpox, mumps, measles, etc..
All of which were developed after years and years of research, not slapped together in a couple of months. Apples and oranges.
God Bless Everyone!
gbgreenie
Surge

Same exact thing here
Are you sick in your head vaccination is bullshit, are you blind in reality. Do you realize the 10 of thousands of additional deaths would have occurred without the vaccine. I am so sick of you anti vaccine people keeping covid19 alive and preventing all of us from returning to normal. You people are strange, wierd and pathetic. Are you that selfish and self centered that you don't care who dies from covid19, now because of you the mutating virus is now effecting our children. Please go find a brain somewhere. The evidence is nondebatable between sensible people. Thanks for getting the vaccine for the wrong reasons.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:27 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:04 pm For your children's sake, here's hoping you people who think the vaccination is "bullshit" don't have a similar attitude concerning those pesky inoculations for polio, tetanus, diphtheria, smallpox, mumps, measles, etc..
All of which were developed after years and years of research, not slapped together in a couple of months. Apples and oranges.
The process to create vaccines this quickly started a decade ago. It wasn’t slapped together. That was widely publicized and touted by Trump.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Same exact thing here
What is bull$hit about it? Just curious.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:46 pm
The process to create vaccines this quickly started a decade ago. It wasn’t slapped together. That was widely publicized and touted by Trump.
Good grief.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Good grief.
What's your problem? The process did start a decade ago. It was no secret.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 11:21 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:04 pm

Good grief.
What's your problem? The process did start a decade ago. It was no secret.
K. Wonder where Dr Winwave got his facts. This will be special.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You must live under a rock to to not know they started working on the technology at least a decade ago so in instances like this they could produce the vaccine this quickly.

Rossi thought he might be able to sidestep the controversy. He would use modified messenger molecules to reprogram adult cells so that they acted like embryonic stem cells.

He asked a postdoctoral fellow in his lab to explore the idea. In 2009, after more than a year of work, the postdoc waved Rossi over to a microscope. Rossi peered through the lens and saw something extraordinary: a plate full of the very cells he had hoped to create.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/11/10/the ... cine-race/
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave
Tsunami

mRNA technology has been under development for many years. Yes, the decision to roll it out quickly for Covid concerned many, but what better time to “take a chance” with a quick rollout than during a pandemic that has shut down the world (whether that shutdown was politically motivated or not). And it is clear, that we were wise to “take the chance” because it has been clear that the mRNA vaccines are incredibly effective. And even better, the Covid/mRNA “experiment” has likely paved the way for the fast development and distribution of vaccines against future virulent viruses. Don’t get the vaccine to please others—get it to protect yourself.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Aegis
High Tide

Exactly
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Not exactly. See abovve!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Ultimately, the get vaccinated vs don't get vaccinated debate will be answered by the C-19 virus, and it's mutations--it isn't going to go away. Those that don't get vaccinated will continue to get sick and die, and those that are vaccinated will just get a mild illness. Non vaxers now make up 99% of hospitalizations, and will likely make up a similar % of deaths. The good news, is that a larger % of the U.S. population is probably protected than what we hear on the news--about 55% vaccinated; 15% currently underage for vaccination; and maybe 15% with natural antibodies--leaving only around 15% that are purposefully putting themselves at risk. The D Variant is going to chew up that last 15%.
NOLABigSteve
Tsunami

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:15 am Those that don't get vaccinated will continue to get sick and die, and those that are vaccinated will just get a mild illness.
100% not true. I personally know several people who've been vaxed since March who've had to be admitted to the hospital.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:15 am Ultimately, the get vaccinated vs don't get vaccinated debate will be answered by the C-19 virus, and it's mutations--it isn't going to go away. Those that don't get vaccinated will continue to get sick and die, and those that are vaccinated will just get a mild illness. Non vaxers now make up 99% of hospitalizations, and will likely make up a similar % of deaths. The good news, is that a larger % of the U.S. population is probably protected than what we hear on the news--about 55% vaccinated; 15% currently underage for vaccination; and maybe 15% with natural antibodies--leaving only around 15% that are purposefully putting themselves at risk. The D Variant is going to chew up that last 15%.
Houston spot on but for those that have natural antibodies. Those people are not protected against the variant.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

NOLABigSteve wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:51 am
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:15 am Those that don't get vaccinated will continue to get sick and die, and those that are vaccinated will just get a mild illness.
100% not true. I personally know several people who've been vaxed since March who've had to be admitted to the hospital.
There are of course breakthrough cases. Those are an extremely small % compared to those unvaccinated who are hospitalized and dying.
gbgreenie
Surge

winwave wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:39 pm
There are of course breakthrough cases. Those are an extremely small % compared to those unvaccinated who are hospitalized and dying.
Breakthru cases are now getting moderately sick including hospitalizations from the Delta variant. Each variant is getting stronger, the next may be completely vaccine resistant as Pfzer and Moderna working on boosters to include future variants. The J&J is now in question that the single dose may no longer be effective asking high risk to go get at least one shot of Pfzer or Moderna. This is serious folks not just for the unvaccinated but also our kids and more and more for everyone.

159 Dead, 593 Hospitalized in Illinois Breakthrough COVID Cases ( In Louisiana two weeks ago break thru cases numbered over 600 with over 30 deaths).
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronav ... s/2560611/
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Nonetheless, hospitalizations are still overwhelming those not vaccinated. Many of the breakthrough cases for those that have been vaccinated involve pre-conditions, typically those suffering from immune deficiencies.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:30 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:39 pm
Breakthru cases are now getting moderately sick including hospitalizations from the Delta variant. Each variant is getting stronger, the next may be completely vaccine resistant as Pfzer and Moderna working on boosters to include future variants. The J&J is now in question that the single dose may no longer be effective asking high risk to go get at least one shot of Pfzer or Moderna. This is serious folks not just for the unvaccinated but also our kids and more and more for everyone.

159 Dead, 593 Hospitalized in Illinois Breakthrough COVID Cases ( In Louisiana two weeks ago break thru cases numbered over 600 with over 30 deaths).
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/coronav ... s/2560611/
No question. The next variant could zap us all. That's why I'm all on board with Pfizer wanting to give a third shot booster. Fauci and others arguing that request because too many still haven't received an initial vaccine. The only people in the U.S. who haven't received an initial vaccine are those that don't want a vaccine. Bring on the third shot booster.
gbgreenie
Surge

HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:06 pm
Nonetheless, hospitalizations are still overwhelming those not vaccinated. Many of the breakthrough cases for those that have been vaccinated involve pre-conditions, typically those suffering from immune deficiencies.
Hospitalized or fatal COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough cases reported to CDC as of July 12, 2021
As of July 12, 2021, more than 159 million people in the United States had been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

During the same time, CDC received reports from 48 U.S. states and territories of 5,492 patients with COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infection who were hospitalized or died.

Total number of vaccine breakthrough infections reported to CDC
Hospitalized or fatal vaccine breakthrough cases reported to CDC 5,492
Female 2,680 (49%)
People aged ≥65 years 4,109 (75%)
Asymptomatic infections 1,107 (20%)
Hospitalizations* 5,189 (94%)
Deaths† 1,063 (19%)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

gbgreenie wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:15 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:06 pm
Hospitalized or fatal COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough cases reported to CDC as of July 12, 2021
As of July 12, 2021, more than 159 million people in the United States had been fully vaccinated against COVID-19.

During the same time, CDC received reports from 48 U.S. states and territories of 5,492 patients with COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infection who were hospitalized or died.

Total number of vaccine breakthrough infections reported to CDC
Hospitalized or fatal vaccine breakthrough cases reported to CDC 5,492
Female 2,680 (49%)
People aged ≥65 years 4,109 (75%)
Asymptomatic infections 1,107 (20%)
Hospitalizations* 5,189 (94%)
Deaths† 1,063 (19%)
So a fully vaccinated adult has a 3.4 thousandth of 1% chance of suffering a breakthrough case and being hospitalized. I'll take those odds any day. I think I have a better chance of stepping outside and being hit by a meteorite. What are the odds for unvaccinated adults?
GreenLantern
Riptide

Today, Louisiana is reporting 5,388 new cases. That’s the third highest daily case count we’ve announced since the start of the pandemic. It’s a startling number. It’s also a largely preventable number. No – that’s not a reporting backlog. (Trust me, I asked!) That’s not a typo. That’s a cold hard fact. And a full 99% of these 5,388 positive results are from the past seven days.

We haven’t had this many people in the hospital in Louisiana with COVID since February 15, 2021. That’s five months of progress in clearing out our hospitals GONE. This is the fourth surge of COVID-19 in Louisiana.

And, COVID is largely preventable in people who take the vaccine. Again: we are seeing positive cases and deaths largely in unvaccinated people. The stat we released Friday was 97% of all new cases and deaths were in unvaccinated people.

People younger than 50 make up 76% of all new COVID cases in Louisiana today, and 17% of new cases are in children, people younger than 17.

Nursing homes used to be where cases were surging in Louisiana: now congregate settings make up less than 1% of our cases today. And that’s because older people are nursing home residents are our most vaccinated group of Louisianans.

COVID is affecting all areas of the state right now, but the two regions with the biggest share of the cases are Region 2 (Baton Rouge), with 24% of today’s cases and Region 9 (Northshore) with 21% of today’s cases.
-Christina Stephens (Deputy Chief of Staff for Governor Edwards)