Avarice , Greed and the Walt Disney Company

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Donald, Mickey and Goofy are destroying college football .

The most visible signs : Sugar Bowl 56,000 ; Outback 46,000 ; Rose 93,000 .

If Mickey , Donald and Goofy expand the Playoff to eight this will further cripple Bowls albeit the Playoff might become more interesting .

For those who deride the plethora of Bowls Walt Disney Company is coming to the rescue .

For those who despise the P5 / G5 castration of half the FBS Schools you properly blame Walt Disney Company .

Walt Disney Company has finally reached Monopoly status and must be broken up as was Standard Oil 100 years ago .

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Ruski
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:11 am Donald, Mickey and Goofy are destroying college football .

The most visible signs : Sugar Bowl 56,000 ; Outback 46,000 ; Rose 93,000 .

If Mickey , Donald and Goofy expand the Playoff to eight this will further cripple Bowls albeit the Playoff might become more interesting .

For those who deride the plethora of Bowls Walt Disney Company is coming to the rescue .

For those who despise the P5 / G5 castration of half the FBS Schools you properly blame Walt Disney Company .

Walt Disney Company has finally reached Monopoly status and must be broken up as was Standard Oil 100 years ago .

Too many bowls has long been a problem. Consumers have more options than ever for their entertainment dollars. An 8 team or 16 team playoff is probably tops to get 50k+ attending bowl games again. Make it by conference champs, make it mean something and those games will be hot tickets.
Show Me
Tsunami

Disagree with your headline for this topic. The playoffs killed interest in the bowl games not Disney. Greed is why the bowls exist today. The greedy tourism boards created the bowl games strictly to get tourists to visit during dead season. Prior to the playoffs the major bowls did well. The bowl committees knew this was coming that’s why they fought to have a rotation for the title game. They knew the playoffs would kill their bowl interest. No going back now. Hopefully they eliminate half the bowls out there now. At least those that struggle attendance wise.
I bet outside of the playoffs the TV ratings are also down. I think during bowl season I may have watched less than 2 hours of bowls outside the two playoff games.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Going to 16 with EVERY FBS conference champion getting into the tournament would increase the value and attendance of the bowl games. Heck, they could go to 24 or so and have some of the teams have bye weeks like they do for FCS. Let some of the G5 champions play in the first round while some of the top ranked teams watched the first round. The Gasparilla Bowl would mean something!

The NCAA has argued that such a playoff would keep too many student-athletes out of class going into final exams. BS. Do the FCS programs not value their academics more than the FBS? I think not. Also, half the teams are done each week, so fewer "student-athletes" are still practicing by the Christmas break.

The FCS tournament does well, and frankly, the next two teams playing in Frisco, TX would be underdogs to the two that play there in the FCS championship.

Right now this four team ESPN Invitational probably crowns the best team, but two years ago UCF had a legitimate claim to "National Champions." They beat Auburn, whom had defeated both teams that were playing for the ESPN Invitational championship.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Show Me wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:02 am Disagree with your headline for this topic. The playoffs killed interest in the bowl games not Disney. Greed is why the bowls exist today. The greedy tourism boards created the bowl games strictly to get tourists to visit during dead season. Prior to the playoffs the major bowls did well. The bowl committees knew this was coming that’s why they fought to have a rotation for the title game. They knew the playoffs would kill their bowl interest. No going back now. Hopefully they eliminate half the bowls out there now. At least those that struggle attendance wise.
I bet outside of the playoffs the TV ratings are also down. I think during bowl season I may have watched less than 2 hours of bowls outside the two playoff games.
Exactly. The old, greedy geezers that make up these bowl committees, are the greedy ones. I hope everyone quits watching bowl games, which will accelerate expansion of the playoffs—hopefully sixteen at a minimum..
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
nawlinspete
Riptide

Did not make myself clear .

My point : Walt`s greed in controlling all of the post season except for three minor bowls , combined with their bullshit P5 / G5 abomination and their castration of half of the FBS football schools piled on top of their controlling where schools play post season is a Monoply In Restraint of Trade . THEY ARE THE MARKET . There is no Free Market .

Their greed is killing the non elite programs path to becoming one of the elite with the P5 / G5 BULLSHIT .

Their interest in promoting only today`s haves only will.in short order eliminate many of the current bowls , further reducing the have nots viability .

Donald , Micky , and Goofy do not give a rat's ass about College Football which to them is just software to package .

Moderators: This is much more Tulane relevant than Holder`s ramblings . Belongs in The Huddle .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:12 pm
Show Me wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:02 am Disagree with your headline for this topic. The playoffs killed interest in the bowl games not Disney. Greed is why the bowls exist today. The greedy tourism boards created the bowl games strictly to get tourists to visit during dead season. Prior to the playoffs the major bowls did well. The bowl committees knew this was coming that’s why they fought to have a rotation for the title game. They knew the playoffs would kill their bowl interest. No going back now. Hopefully they eliminate half the bowls out there now. At least those that struggle attendance wise.
Exactly. The old, greedy geezers that make up these bowl committees, are the greedy ones. I hope everyone quits watching bowl games, which will accelerate expansion of the playoffs—hopefully sixteen at a minimum..
ESPN (owned by Disney) had a whole lot to do with creating the plethora of bowl games. ESPN created the "Playoff" which to date is NOT recognized as crowning an NCAA FBS Champion. But there's a lot of truth to the fact that the bowl committees have been holding back the "Playoff" from using the lesser bowls as early rounds of a true FBS football playoff.

There is still discussion around a G5 playoff. I think if they ever expanded the tournament, any G5 champion that's ranked gets in automatically, and let the other G5's playoff for an at-large bid. There's so many different ways to do this that would hugely enhance the value of the lesser bowl games, interest and viewership/attendance for those games, and generally raise the prospects of college football going forward.

But the old timers still have too much say in a world that has passed them by.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

D- I know you like to take that shot at ESPN and claim the playoff winner will not be recognized as the NCAA FBS Champ. The fact is the winner will be recognized by everyone- the polls, media and fans as the champ. I'll add that it's hypocritical to constantly criticize the NCAA but then say well if you're not recognized by the NCAA it's not legit. There is no getting around the fact that whoever wins will be recognized as the NCAA FBS Champion.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:18 pm D- I know you like to take that shot at ESPN and claim the playoff winner will not be recognized as the NCAA FBS Champ. The fact is the winner will be recognized by everyone- the polls, media and fans as the champ. I'll add that it's hypocritical to constantly criticize the NCAA but then say well if you're not recognized by the NCAA it's not legit. There is no getting around the fact that whoever wins will be recognized as the NCAA FBS Champion.
I don't doubt that at all. I'm just saying the NCAA does NOT crown a FBS champion like they do at EVERY other level of NCAA football.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Oh we all know and agree on that but there will be a recognized champ.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wave97
Swell

What's the payout for SEC football broadcast rights?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:24 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Thu Jan 02, 2020 8:12 pm
ESPN (owned by Disney) had a whole lot to do with creating the plethora of bowl games. ESPN created the "Playoff" which to date is NOT recognized as crowning an NCAA FBS Champion. But there's a lot of truth to the fact that the bowl committees have been holding back the "Playoff" from using the lesser bowls as early rounds of a true FBS football playoff.

There is still discussion around a G5 playoff. I think if they ever expanded the tournament, any G5 champion that's ranked gets in automatically, and let the other G5's playoff for an at-large bid. There's so many different ways to do this that would hugely enhance the value of the lesser bowl games, interest and viewership/attendance for those games, and generally raise the prospects of college football going forward.

But the old timers still have too much say in a world that has passed them by.
The old timers are more concerned about wearing their bowl blazers, the attendant social functions, and their annual 15 minutes of fame—they could care less about what’s best for college football in general. If the corporate world had not bailed the bowl system out, many years ago, we’d already have an expanded, and hopefully more equitable, playoff system. Hopefully, the corporate world will start to re-think their “investment” in these bowls, as the viewers and attendees continue to dwindle. I’m just not sure many of us will live long enough to see a change.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

to quote Gordon Gekko from the movie "Wall Street "
"The point is, ladies and gentlemen, that greed, for lack of a better word, is good. Greed is right. Greed works. Greed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit. Greed, in all of its forms - greed for life, for money, for love, knowledge - has marked the upward surge of mankind,"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !