Morris Fired...Arkansas now looking

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
galvezwave
Swell

JerseyWave wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:58 pm Something Willie Fritz is not....a passing Coach. He's run first. I've been frustrated by the lack of passing success Tulane has had under Fritz. To win in major college football and to recruit the best high school players you need a prolific passing offense. That's college football 2019 and the NFL is a passing league.
He corrected that issue, systematically. He just hasn’t brought in a GREAT passer yet. Not that he hasn’t tried. And no disrespect to McMillan , nothing but mad respect for what he’s done for us . Maybe his run first rep has hurt in that respect . The country day kid looks like a passer , though .

winwave
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 pm
JerseyWave wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:58 pm Something Willie Fritz is not....a passing Coach. He's run first. I've been frustrated by the lack of passing success Tulane has had under Fritz. To win in major college football and to recruit the best high school players you need a prolific passing offense. That's college football 2019 and the NFL is a passing league.
He corrected that issue, systematically. He just hasn’t brought in a GREAT passer yet. Not that he hasn’t tried. And no disrespect to McMillan , nothing but mad respect for what he’s done for us . Maybe his run first rep has hurt in that respect . The country day kid looks like a passer , though .
Actually he didn't have a rep as a runner when he came here. He even said in an interview after he was here that his father had counseled him not to run so he wouldn't get labeled as such. I hope Ibieta turns out to be good but Pratt looks more advanced at this point. Ballsy move by him to go somewhere that had a returning starter. Gotta love that attitude.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Sorry, winwave, but I think Fritz's reputation, whether accurate or not, was as a "pound the rock" HC. He even admitted that while he wanted Will Hall to "open up the offense" that the running game would still be the central focus. And it's played out that way as well.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:50 pm Sorry, winwave, but I think Fritz's reputation, whether accurate or not, was as a "pound the rock" HC. He even admitted that while he wanted Will Hall to "open up the offense" that the running game would still be the central focus. And it's played out that way as well.
I'm not sure what you're responding to but my post right above is about McMillan not Fritz.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:46 pm
DfromCT wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:50 pm Sorry, winwave, but I think Fritz's reputation, whether accurate or not, was as a "pound the rock" HC. He even admitted that while he wanted Will Hall to "open up the offense" that the running game would still be the central focus. And it's played out that way as well.
I'm not sure what you're responding to but my post right above is about McMillan not Fritz.
I thought it was about Fritz,. Totally agree McM has proven to be a very effective runner when we (I) thought his reputation was a little slow footed but good pocket passer. He's shown some quickness that his reputation would not have suggested.
galvezwave
Swell

winwave wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:12 pm
galvezwave wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:45 pm
Actually he didn't have a rep as a runner when he came here. He even said in an interview after he was here that his father had counseled him not to run so he wouldn't get labeled as such. I hope Ibieta turns out to be good but Pratt looks more advanced at this point. Ballsy move by him to go somewhere that had a returning starter. Gotta love that attitude.
He’s a better runner than passer . He just Didn’t know it yet
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Fritz is going to be 60, someone offers 4 years $13-14mm guaranteed, he is gone. The hell he cares about his Tulane legacy, jeez. Like he owes us anything.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I would be surprised if we offered him $2.5-$2.6m and he left for $3m to Vandy. . . . Now if it was $3.5-$4.5m that’s another story.

I also wouldn’t be mad. I hope he stays, and think he will for another year, but there isn’t some deeper loyalty here where we should feel spurned. $4m is ALOT of money.

Let’s pull a Minnesota-esque move, offer him 4 years @ $2.5m a year with a big buyout (usually it’s around 80% of total contract).
GreenLantern
Riptide

I'm hoping that Norvell chooses to stay another year in Memphis. I would like to see Tulane kick his butt for the grandstanding onside kick he called against us when Memphis had a lead of 27 points. Nothing personal, though. I would just like to see his cocky, showboating ass get humiliated. That's not wrong of me, right?
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2019/11 ... t-football
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:57 pm Fritz is going to be 60, someone offers 4 years $13-14mm guaranteed, he is gone. The hell he cares about his Tulane legacy, jeez. Like he owes us anything.
I like Fritz and all, but I totally agree with this. He's done better than the past few coaches here at Tulane, but I'd hardly call it a "legacy". In this business, coaches 1. want to move up and 2. want to make more money.

Again, I think it's laughable that anyone turns their nose up at Arkansas. Just 4 years ago, we were the shitty school at the bottom of the AAC. And Fritz took this job. So why in the hell wouldn't he take another comparable (at the bottom) job that pays more and is in a better conference?

At the end of the day, Arkansas > Tulane.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
galvezwave
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:20 pm
mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:57 pm Fritz is going to be 60, someone offers 4 years $13-14mm guaranteed, he is gone. The hell he cares about his Tulane legacy, jeez. Like he owes us anything.
I like Fritz and all, but I totally agree with this. He's done better than the past few coaches here at Tulane, but I'd hardly call it a "legacy". In this business, coaches 1. want to move up and 2. want to make more money.

Again, I think it's laughable that anyone turns their nose up at Arkansas. Just 4 years ago, we were the shitty school at the bottom of the AAC. And Fritz took this job. So why in the hell wouldn't he take another comparable (at the bottom) job that pays more and is in a better conference?

At the end of the day, Arkansas > Tulane.
Vanderbilt <Tulane <Arkansas :D
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I’ll throw a major datapoint in there that changes that algebra. What has the average coaching tenure been at Arkansas ? If you want to get paid and don’t mind the possibility of being canned in 2 years (or less) and the stress that arises, sure, that datapoint doesn’t effect your math. But if you want time to build, succeed and minimal stress while getting paid- Vanderbilt>Tulane>Arkansas.
Now if you value those other attributes and love new orleans and don’t feel like starting again (which he has shown no aversion too) Tulane>Vanderbilt>Arkansas.

At some point (this point is different for different people) there are diminishing returns on those extra million$ And your quality of life. This is also always part of the TD “we’re a family” pitch with coaches & the school. Try to create another intangible & value.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

I'm not saying you are incorrect. I'm just saying that for anyone to look back where we were 4 years ago when WF took over and then to think it beyond the realm of possibility of him or someone else making the same jump to a school the likes of Arkansas in current day is just asinine.

4 years ago, Tulane football was a graveyard where careers died. And WF came here.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:14 pm I'm not saying you are incorrect. I'm just saying that for anyone to look back where we were 4 years ago when WF took over and then to think it beyond the realm of possibility of him or someone else making the same jump to a school the likes of Arkansas in current day is just asinine.

4 years ago, Tulane football was a graveyard where careers died. And WF came here.
That's the point I've been preaching whenever folks say "he won't take this P5 job" despite the fact that said P5 school could double or triple his salary!!!

That said, his resume still doesn't rival others in the AAC or some others in the G5 YET. I hope he's a much more attractive candidate when we win the AAC, and that Hall is still here to ascend to the HC position.
GreenLantern
Riptide

In what should be a surprise to no one, Chad Morris' son decommits from Arkansas.

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:23 pm In what should be a surprise to no one, Chad Morris' son decommits from Arkansas.

If Hall leaves, hire Morris !!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
greenie78
Riptide

We’re gonna lose either Fritz or Hall after the season, most likely Hall IMO. If we do lose Hall, I think Fritz will bring back Alex Atkins who’s done a great job at Charlotte this season in his first year.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:53 am We’re gonna lose either Fritz or Hall after the season, most likely Hall IMO. If we do lose Hall, I think Fritz will bring back Alex Atkins who’s done a great job at Charlotte this season in his first year.
does Alex have a son that plays QB ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Aberzombie1892
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:39 pm
NOLABigSteve wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:14 pm I'm not saying you are incorrect. I'm just saying that for anyone to look back where we were 4 years ago when WF took over and then to think it beyond the realm of possibility of him or someone else making the same jump to a school the likes of Arkansas in current day is just asinine.

That's the point I've been preaching whenever folks say "he won't take this P5 job" despite the fact that said P5 school could double or triple his salary!!!

That said, his resume still doesn't rival others in the AAC or some others in the G5 YET. I hope he's a much more attractive candidate when we win the AAC, and that Hall is still here to ascend to the HC position.
Willie Fritz - with his lauded resume - left an FBS job to come to Tulane. If that can occur, it shouldn't be surprising if he made a move to a lower tier P5. He hasn't done enough at Tulane for a big time P5 job, and, at the rate he is improving Tulane, he may never achieve a level that would warrant that.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

greenie78 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:53 am We’re gonna lose either Fritz or Hall after the season, most likely Hall IMO. If we do lose Hall, I think Fritz will bring back Alex Atkins who’s done a great job at Charlotte this season in his first year.
I agree it would more likely be Hall though I think we could have both back. If Hall does leave Kennedy should have a good shot as our next OC. He has worked with Hall here and elsewhere and has coached our line better than anybody in a good while. He also appears to be recruiting the position better than anyone has in a while. I'd be fine if we chose him after a true search.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:55 am
DfromCT wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 4:39 pm

Willie Fritz - with his lauded resume - left an FBS job to come to Tulane. If that can occur, it shouldn't be surprising if he made a move to a lower tier P5. He hasn't done enough at Tulane for a big time P5 job, and, at the rate he is improving Tulane, he may never achieve a level that would warrant that.
His resume isn't complete yet. If he wins the next three it changes the narrative.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Funny how we were told over and over before the season about how brutal our schedule was and now after nine games we've won 6 but are now told we haven't beaten anyone.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Don’t worry if we run the table we all know Temple collapsed at the end of the season (Maryland was garbage anyway), UCF had a rebuilding off year and SMU was exposed as being overrated.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:32 am Funny how we were told over and over before the season about how brutal our schedule was and now after nine games we've won 6 but are now told we haven't beaten anyone.
Well, that's because FIU, Houston, Army and UCF are mere shadows of how good they were expected to be. The three of those teams in a conference were perceived as being conference title contenders, but they each turned out to be much less than that, and the other team was expected to win 10+ games and it's nowhere close to that. If those four teams had played up to their preseason expectations, the schedule would have been just as difficult as projected.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:35 pm
winwave wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:32 am Funny how we were told over and over before the season about how brutal our schedule was and now after nine games we've won 6 but are now told we haven't beaten anyone.
Well, that's because FIU, Houston, Army and UCF are mere shadows of how good they were expected to be. The three of those teams in a conference were perceived as being conference title contenders, but they each turned out to be much less than that, and the other team was expected to win 10+ games and it's nowhere close to that. If those four teams had played up to their preseason expectations, the schedule would have been just as difficult as projected.
Except there were those that saw that those teams were not going to be all that and said so back then. The point being some clearly overstated what these teams were going to be as they always seem to want to overplay our schedule. To be clear UCF was not referenced in my post as we haven't played them yet. FIU is in a weak CUSA so even if they were a title contender it doesn't say a lot about them. Army had clearly racked up their wins recently against inferior competition. Houston had King but not a lot else.