Morris Fired...Arkansas now looking

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Last edited by golfnut69 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

Really? The kid's name is really Bumper Pool? Why are parents so cruel?
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

:o :o :o
Western Kentucky is not in the SEC. The Hilltoppers are in Conference USA. They had lost to Central Arkansas, 35-28, in their opener.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

In another thread, some posters were making the argument that Coach Fritz wouldn't take a P5 job at a P5 bottom feeder (like Vanderbilt) because you cannot win there. I wonder if those same posters watched PJ Fleck and Minnesota beat Penn State, the #4 team in the nation? The Golden Gophers are now 9-0, and although it's a tall order, if they win out, they'll make the ESPN Invitational.

Oh yeah, after going undefeated and going to the Cotton Bowl (where they lost to Wisconsin 26-14) Fleck left Western Michigan and his $390k salary and got a bit of a raise: His contract started at $3.5 million with $50k raises each year through 2023.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 pm In another thread, some posters were making the argument that Coach Fritz wouldn't take a P5 job at a P5 bottom feeder (like Vanderbilt) because you cannot win there. I wonder if those same posters watched PJ Fleck and Minnesota beat Penn State, the #4 team in the nation? The Golden Gophers are now 9-0, and although it's a tall order, if they win out, they'll make the ESPN Invitational.

Oh yeah, after going undefeated and going to the Cotton Bowl (where they lost to Wisconsin 26-14) Fleck left Western Michigan and his $390k salary and got a bit of a raise: His contract started at $3.5 million with $50k raises each year through 2023.
Are you comparing Arkansas and Minnesota to Vanderbilt?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:50 am :o :o :o
Western Kentucky is not in the SEC. The Hilltoppers are in Conference USA. They had lost to Central Arkansas, 35-28, in their opener.
i
Arkansas lost of San Jose State 31-24....Tulsa beat San Jose 34-16.....

Morris fired
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... 4-18-start
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Houma de Wave
Swell

Done. Chad Morris fired...Inever understood that hire.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Arkansas—another P5 death zone.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
galvezwave
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:59 pm Arkansas—another P5 death zone.
I actually think it should be a good job for the right guy. Should have dibs on the entire state . Close to Dallas-FW, Memphis and north Louisiana. Beautiful campus in the mountains. You can cheat all you want and let anyone in school. I don’t know why it’s so hard to put a team together over there .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:04 pm
I actually think it should be a good job for the right guy. Should have dibs on the entire state . Close to Dallas-FW, Memphis and north Louisiana. Beautiful campus in the mountains. You can cheat all you want and let anyone in school. I don’t know why it’s so hard to put a team together over there .
Fayetteville is 400 miles from Dallas, with zero interstate, unless U want to go the long way thru OKC...Norman OK is only aobut 180 miles right up I-35 from DFW..., Springfield MO is only about 115 miles from Fayettville....unless u can get the players Texas, OU, TCU Baylor and AM have no interest in, you are in deep shit....Arkansas has to go the route K-State used to get relevant..the JC's ...been to Fayetville several times, it is gorgeous, but once U are there...you're there and no where else
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Interesting, never knew anything about Arkansas campus. I did get a good chuckle about how you can cheer as much as you like and let anyone in . . . Because it’s true.

I hate bye weeks
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:32 pm Interesting, never knew anything about Arkansas campus. I did get a good chuckle about how you can cheer as much as you like and let anyone in . . . Because it’s true.

I hate bye weeks
Little Rock is a 200 trip...ust think U can get to original Bass Pro in Springfield, MO faster that getting to Little Rock
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:11 pm In another thread, some posters were making the argument that Coach Fritz wouldn't take a P5 job at a P5 bottom feeder (like Vanderbilt) because you cannot win there. I wonder if those same posters watched PJ Fleck and Minnesota beat Penn State, the #4 team in the nation? The Golden Gophers are now 9-0, and although it's a tall order, if they win out, they'll make the ESPN Invitational.

You're comparing Minnesota to Vanderbilt? Gracious.
Minnesota is a massive school with massive resources. They have won before. Vanderbilt never has...never. And even for those who like to trash Tulane, one thing we have been is heck of a lot better than Vanderbilt. And the path to a major bowl is a lot easier here than it is there as well.
Eaglewave
Swell

Freeze would win at Arkansas.
Ball Sumrall!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

DrBox wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:47 pm

You're comparing Minnesota to Vanderbilt? Gracious.
Minnesota is a massive school with massive resources. They have won before. Vanderbilt never has...never. And even for those who like to trash Tulane, one thing we have been is heck of a lot better than Vanderbilt. And the path to a major bowl is a lot easier here than it is there as well.

Umm...Remember we have had MANY more 3 win seasons than 8 win seasons. Vanderbilt's all time record is 63 games closer to .500 than Tulane's, despite playing in the SEC for 50 years longer. I'm not bashing Tulane, just stating the facts. Vanderbilt is 547-602-43 all time. Tulane is 508-626-35.

And I'm sorry, but the first thing I think of when I think about Golden Gopher football is B1G bottom feeder. If you have a different opinion, we agree to disagree. My point is if it can be done there, it can be done at any P5. Is it easy? Hell no.
galvezwave
Swell

CCTN had some monster years at Minnesota.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:17 pm CCTN had some monster years at Minnesota.
Who is "CCTN"?

Bernie Bierman is the most successful coach in Minnesota history. He won national championships there before most, if not all of us were born.
galvezwave
Swell

Coach Craig T Nelson . It was an obscure joke .
greenie78
Riptide

Arkansas has a ton of tradition and resources. Morris was a terrible hire from the beginning, but it doesn’t mean Arky is a bad job. Neither is Minnesota. It’s definitely not Big 10 fodder like that idiot from Connecticut tells us. It’s been a competitive program and plays in a weak division which means not having to play the power teams every year except Wisconsin.
greenie78
Riptide

And Minnesota is much easier to win compared to Vandy.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Minnesota has many resources and actually has a very successful athletic department. People from the Midwest are kind, patient and loyal.

Vandy has its similarities to Tulane. It’s VERY similar. It’s does have better academics (which doesn’t matter to coaches, the difference to them so marginal) but does Have the Sec $ and competition. Vandy would have a lot of patience unlike Arkansas. Who knows what coach is thinking- I bet Tulane goes to $2.3-$2.5m. That may be enough for coach. Inertia is with us, he’s here and comfortable. The longer he is here the better it is. If we win 3 and a row i will be concerned. Otherwise my money is he stays.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Arkansas hasn't recruited well in Texas since it left the SWC, and they never will. Mizzou has somewhat of the same problem, can no longer recruit its traditional recruiting areas, same with Nebraska. The greener grasses for many schools, will turn out to be their cemetery..
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:28 pm Coach Craig T Nelson . It was an obscure joke .
I LOVE IT!

I loved that show! Go Minnesota State!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

greenie78 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:15 pm Arkansas has a ton of tradition and resources. Morris was a terrible hire from the beginning, but it doesn’t mean Arky is a bad job. Neither is Minnesota. It’s definitely not Big 10 fodder like that idiot from Connecticut tells us. It’s been a competitive program and plays in a weak division which means not having to play the power teams every year except Wisconsin.
At BEST Minnesota is the 7th best program in the B1G, and I think that's being generous. This year, they're having a hell of a year, which is why I used them as a team that's not considered a "traditional power" that can achieve. If you don't know this you should: this is the first time they've been 9-0 since the 1900's. YES THE FIRST DECADE OF THE LAST CENTURY!

Wisci, PSU, OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, and Nebraska all have more tradition. You could make the argument for others being no worse than Minnesota's equal. Yes, Minnesota has won 6 games roughly 25 times in the last 60 years. Compare that to the schools I list above.

So if there's 12 teams in the B1G and at LEAST 6 (and arguably more) of them have better pedigrees than Minnesota, who's the IDIOT?
Last edited by DfromCT on Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:40 pm
greenie78 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:15 pm Arkansas has a ton of tradition and resources. Morris was a terrible hire from the beginning, but it doesn’t mean Arky is a bad job. Neither is Minnesota. It’s definitely not Big 10 fodder like that idiot from Connecticut tells us. It’s been a competitive program and plays in a weak division which means not having to play the power teams every year except Wisconsin.
At BEST Minnesota is the 7th best team in the B1G

Wisci, PSU, OSU, Michigan, Michigan State, and Nebraska all have more tradition. You could make the argument for others being no worse than Minnesota's equal. So if there's 12 teams in the B1G and at LEAST 6 (and arguably more) of them have better pedigrees than Minnesota, who's the IDIOT?
There's 14 teams in B1G.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson