Morris Fired...Arkansas now looking

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:33 pm
galvezwave wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:28 pm Coach Craig T Nelson . It was an obscure joke .
I LOVE IT!

I loved that show! Go Minnesota State!
Yes . My wife and I used to laugh our butts off..

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:41 pm
There's 14 teams in B1G.
You are right. I forget about Maryland and Rutgers, who are truly the bottom of the bottom feeders. But 7 (again, at best) of 14 doesn't change my argument that Minnesota is not a traditional football power.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
galvezwave
Swell

Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:32 pm Minnesota has many resources and actually has a very successful athletic department. People from the Midwest are kind, patient and loyal.

Vandy has its similarities to Tulane. It’s VERY similar. It’s does have better academics (which doesn’t matter to coaches, the difference to them so marginal) but does Have the Sec $ and competition. Vandy would have a lot of patience unlike Arkansas. Who knows what coach is thinking- I bet Tulane goes to $2.3-$2.5m. That may be enough for coach. Inertia is with us, he’s here and comfortable. The longer he is here the better it is. If we win 3 and a row i will be concerned. Otherwise my money is he stays.
Nothing can change my opinion, Willie will never go to Vanderbilt. He has no need for that job. Arkansas would be a decent fit.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I hope he stays, as I've said many, many, many times, until he retires and leaves a legacy as the guy that turned the Tulane program around and laid a foundation for years to come. I just think some are not realistic about the money, facilities, and opportunity that exist at ANY P5 versus the peanuts we have to split up among all our programs.

He'd never go to Vanderbilt? What if they tripled his salary, and let him pay Coach Hall and Coach Curtis each $1 million/year? Never passes away pretty quickly, I would imagine.

Again, I want Coach Fritz to stay, and the next three games will go a very long way to building (or not) his resume. Thank God the bye week is behind us and we can start focusing on Temple. The next game is always the most important.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

galvezwave wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:55 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:32 pm Minnesota has many resources and actually has a very successful athletic department. People from the Midwest are kind, patient and loyal.

Vandy has its similarities to Tulane. It’s VERY similar. It’s does have better academics (which doesn’t matter to coaches, the difference to them so marginal) but does Have the Sec $ and competition. Vandy would have a lot of patience unlike Arkansas. Who knows what coach is thinking- I bet Tulane goes to $2.3-$2.5m. That may be enough for coach. Inertia is with us, he’s here and comfortable. The longer he is here the better it is. If we win 3 and a row i will be concerned. Otherwise my money is he stays.
Nothing can change my opinion, Willie will never go to Vanderbilt. He has no need for that job. Arkansas would be a decent fit.
I agree Arkansas woiuld be a great recruiting "geographic fit" for him....but something tells me, Norvell, who has recruited the area also, is first choice...but then again, we are talking about Arkansas...they have made some strange hires in the past..and in my opinion, listened way too much to Frank Broyles...
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:12 pm I hope he stays, as I've said many, many, many times, until he retires and leaves a legacy as the guy that turned the Tulane program around and laid a foundation for years to come. I just think some are not realistic about the money, facilities, and opportunity that exist at ANY P5 versus the peanuts we have to split up among all our programs.

He'd never go to Vanderbilt? What if they tripled his salary, and let him pay Coach Hall and Coach Curtis each $1 million/year? Never passes away pretty quickly, I would imagine.

Again, I want Coach Fritz to stay, and the next three games will go a very long way to building (or not) his resume. Thank God the bye week is behind us and we can start focusing on Temple. The next game is always the most important.
He would never go to Vanderbilt. He’s already there . So to speak. Will Hall ? Absolutely. But I wouldn’t if I’m will hall. Of course they can pay more . But is the risk worth the reward. People around the country talk about WF like he’s a God while we’re over here pissing and moaning about false starts and losing to top 25 teams
galvezwave
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:13 pm
galvezwave wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:55 pm

I agree Arkansas woiuld be a great recruiting "geographic fit" for him....but something tells me, Norvell, who has recruited the area also, is first choice...but then again, we are talking about Arkansas...they have made some strange hires in the past..and in my opinion, listened way too much to Frank Broyles...
Norvell probably will and should get the first call
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Norvell will likely go to Ole Miss.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

I don't understand why any coach who realistically hopes to build a program, establish a legacy and/or stay gainfully employed for more than three years would go to Arkansas. If you're willing to take bigger bucks than a smaller school can pay and are okay with being fired in 2-3 years, I get it.

For heaven's sake....Arkansas is in the western division of the SEC. That's (arguably) the toughest division in the toughest conference in football. As golf pointed out, they are located in the middle of Wet Fart Hollow Arkansas, not exactly a hotbed for recruiting.. I read that the entire state of Arkansas produced only two 4-star recruits for 2020. Two! Warren Easton equaled this production.

I would be surprised if a mature and solid coach like Willie Fritz would consider this. (Note that FSU is a different story). The next coach for Arkansas will probably have one of these three profiles:
  • A coach with baggage or who is a bit desperate (a Les Miles-type, Bobby Petrino, etc..)
  • A wacky candidate from another planet (Mike Leach)
  • A very young, overly-confident assistant who has nothing to lose.
galvezwave
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:02 pm I don't understand why any coach who realistically hopes to build a program, establish a legacy and/or stay gainfully employed for more than three years would go to Arkansas. If you're willing to take bigger bucks than a smaller school can pay and are okay with being fired in 2-3 years, I get it.

For heaven's sake....Arkansas is in the western division of the SEC. That's (arguably) the toughest division in the toughest conference in football. As golf pointed out, they are located in the middle of Wet Fart Hollow Arkansas, not exactly a hotbed for recruiting.. I read that the entire state of Arkansas produced only two 4-star recruits for 2020. Two! Warren Easton equaled this production.

I would be surprised if a mature and solid coach like Willie Fritz would consider this. (Note that FSU is a different story). The next coach for Arkansas will probably have one of these three profiles:
  • A coach with baggage or who is a bit desperate (a Les Miles-type, Bobby Petrino, etc..)
Wet Fart Hallow. Lol. There actually is a Booger Hallow near there. (Pronounced “Holler” for proper effect.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:02 pm I don't understand why any coach who realistically hopes to build a program, establish a legacy and/or stay gainfully employed for more than three years would go to Arkansas. If you're willing to take bigger bucks than a smaller school can pay and are okay with being fired in 2-3 years, I get it.

Money is the big factor. All you have to do is negotiate a huge buyout that allows you to retire quite comfortably if things do not work out. Yes, you could make less elsewhere, but, if someone gets the Arkansas job and is fired/bought out within 3 years, they could make 3x-20x what they would make at virtually any G5 team for the same period. The worst case scenario functionally maximizes income over that period, and the best case scenario would probably get you an even higher paying job with a much higher buyout.

Essentially, if someone is interested in building a financial legacy for the future of their bloodline, it's a no brainer. That's why there is always interest in the crappy P5 jobs.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

+ 1,000. Whoever takes the Arky job will be moving out of Fayetteville in two or three years. Yes the money will likely be more, but only for two or three years. And after he is flushed, he won’t be a head coach again for several years, if ever. So in Willie’s case, he can take more money for three years, and then call it a career. Or, he can stay here as long as he wants, build a legacy, and be there when we unveil the bigger than life bronze statue of him, standing in Yulman Plaza. Oh yea, he also gets to keep living in N.O,, and avoids at least two relocations—which are much tougher when you are in your 60’s. I like our chances of keeping him.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:16 am Money is the big factor. All you have to do is negotiate a huge buyout that allows you to retire quite comfortably if things do not work out. Yes, you could make less elsewhere, but, if someone gets the Arkansas job and is fired/bought out within 3 years, they could make 3x-20x what they would make at virtually any G5 team for the same period. The worst case scenario functionally maximizes income over that period, and the best case scenario would probably get you an even higher paying job with a much higher buyout.

Essentially, if someone is interested in building a financial legacy for the future of their bloodline, it's a no brainer. That's why there is always interest in the crappy P5 jobs.
Exactly spot on accurate. Fritz probably believes he can build a winner ANYWHERE. At the same time, if he signed a 4 year $3.5 million/per contract, he wouldn't have to work again if he got fired. It doesn't matter if it were Arkansas, Vanderbilt, or any other deep pockets P5.

But Green Lantern is right in that he has a chance to build a lasting legacy by staying at Tulane for another 10 years or so. I don't know which is more important to him, I just hope he stays. And, the conundrum is that we want our Wave to win the last 3 games, but at 9-3 he'd be a whole lot more attractive of a candidate.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Just win baby.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 amJust win baby.
Thanks, Al Davis! :)

I agree, though. Win and we'll deal with any fallout. "Just win baby"!
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

I wish we would pull a Minnesota and just give him an extension now. I’m sure TD has had many conversations with him about this and already has an extension and $$ amount ready.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:27 am
winwave wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:10 amJust win baby.
Thanks, Al Davis! :)

I agree, though. Win and we'll deal with any fallout. "Just win baby"!
if Tulane wins and WF moves on...look at the bright side...Bobby Petrino is available
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

golfnut69
Wild Pelican

the SI view point...Chad...Willie...and the CFB
https://www.si.com/college/2019/11/10/a ... had-morris
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

https://footballscoop.com/news/a-look-a ... as-search/

Fritz is the topic of most of the article
JerseyWave
Riptide

Something Willie Fritz is not....a passing Coach. He's run first. I've been frustrated by the lack of passing success Tulane has had under Fritz. To win in major college football and to recruit the best high school players you need a prolific passing offense. That's college football 2019 and the NFL is a passing league.
tufinal4
High Tide

I don't know the quality of footballscoop.com sources, but if well connected then it reads like he's eager to make the jump, now.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tufinal4 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:44 pm I don't know the quality of footballscoop.com sources, but if well connected then it reads like he's eager to make the jump, now.
Is this a troll posting? Seriously?

There is no way in hell Coach Fritz would consider making a move like that in mid season. ZERO.

That would be a career killer when he's fired at Arkansas. If he were to even interview for the job before the season is over, it would be the worst Scarlet Letter on his resume. You cannot be serious.
galvezwave
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:48 pm
tufinal4 wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:44 pm I don't know the quality of footballscoop.com sources, but if well connected then it reads like he's eager to make the jump, now.
Is this a troll posting? Seriously?

There is no way in hell Coach Fritz would consider making a move like that in mid season. ZERO.

That would be a career killer when he's fired at Arkansas. If he were to even interview for the job before the season is over, it would be the worst Scarlet Letter on his resume. You cannot be serious.

Actually it makes the claim that he’s eager to show what he can do on the p5 level. Whether that’s an assumption or not, I don’t know . But it’s the natural order of the industry.