Auburn defeats Oregon 27-21

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
greenie78
Riptide

The AAC has to do better in their non conference games if they want to compete with the P5.

HoustonWave
Tsunami

greenie78 wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:53 am The AAC has to do better in their non conference games if they want to compete with the P5.
Currently, we own the PAC 12.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:48 am Again I was just stating why they haven't been interested in doing it before and why they won't going forward. But the leverage will be if you want to keep us in the future up the ante now.
Didn't the AAC have the same situation the last few years when we were getting paid pennies on the dollar? How'd that work out? I don't recall ESPN going to Aresco and saying "here, take this extra money because we want to keep you in 2020."
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:26 am
winwave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:48 am Again I was just stating why they haven't been interested in doing it before and why they won't going forward. But the leverage will be if you want to keep us in the future up the ante now.
Didn't the AAC have the same situation the last few years when we were getting paid pennies on the dollar? How'd that work out? I don't recall ESPN going to Aresco and saying "here, take this extra money because we want to keep you in 2020."
The league hadn't done nearly enough to force that situation. in that contract period. Aresco waited for it to keep building and got us a lot more. What this discussion is about is IF the AAC truly steps up in the next few seasons and is recognized nationally as truly being better than the PAC-12 and ACC.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:31 am
DfromCT wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:26 am
The league hadn't done nearly enough to force that situation. in that contract period. Aresco waited for it to keep building and got us a lot more. What this discussion is about is IF the AAC truly steps up in the next few seasons and is recognized nationally as truly being better than the PAC-12 and ACC.
Weak argument.

It's NEVER going to happen, even if the AAC went undefeated for a couple of years against their P5 foes. ESPN is bleeding subscribers, they're not going to give away money. I personally know an executive at ESPN that is responsible for on-air personality hires (radio and TV) and he was surprised the AAC did as well as it did from ESPN. They've been laying off tons of on-air talent to lower expenses. Aresco got us more than the last contract, but still chicken feed compared to the "P" contracts. And each University in the AAC bears the production costs for every broadcast, across all sports.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

He got us good money and the production cost wont alter that fact. Very weak argument there. Do you really think the contract doesn't have clauses that certain things could escalate or deescalate the money or that it doesn't leave an opening for there to be things that could trigger a window for renegotiation? Aresco knows the business. The most important thing is for the conference to become that good. That's what we're pulling for. I doubt that happens but I'm pulling for the conference.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Let's say (and I think this is conservative) production costs average $10k per game. It's probably more for football and less for basketball, but AVERAGE $10k. We have 6 or 7 home football games, 15+ home mens and women's basketball games. and 20-25 home baseball games. That's $580k before we talk about the lesser sports.

Aresco knows more about negotiating a TV deal than all of our posters (including you and me) combined. That I don't doubt. But I still don't think the AAC gets a penny over contract value until the next contract. That's why it's called a contract.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The production cost won't be all that. He got us a good deal for now.

Contracts are made to be broken. Plus as I stated various clauses in the contract will likely open the door if the situation develops the way were hoping for.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:53 pm The production cost won't be all that. He got us a good deal for now.

Contracts are made to be broken. Plus as I stated various clauses in the contract will likely open the door if the situation develops the way were hoping for.
When did you get to review the contract?

I do not doubt that Aresco got the best deal from ESPN he could have gotten. I STRONGLY doubt that there's clauses that let us renegotiate if the conference performs better.

Your argument reminds me of a river in Egypt.

The costs are every bit that high to produce a telecast. Transportation of everyone involved (cameramen, on-air personalities and technicians) plus their equipment, plus their food/lodging/expenses and insurance. Oh, yeah, those guys (and gals) get paid, too. Realistically, it's probably closer to $20k/game.

Contracts are not made to be broken, why would ESPN give away money?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Don't have to read it. You haven't read it either. The contract isn't one line long saying we're paying you X amount for this period. Only a fool would believe that. I trust Aresco to have protected the conference going forward.

Not in denial. Fortunately for Tulane and the AAC your wrong so often they should be getting more money sooner than later. :mrgreen:

You're wrong about the production cost. The only games we have to produce are the ones that end up on ESPN+. The new contract calls for more games to be on the networks. We should continue to get better so we'll be on one of the ESPN networks a lot more than ESPN+. We've been doing the production for the All-ACCESS games for years. The cost is not prohibitive.

If I say white you have to say black.

Enjoy the trip down the river.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:51 pm Don't have to read it. You haven't read it either. The contract isn't one line long saying we're paying you X amount for this period. Only a fool would believe that. I trust Aresco to have protected the conference going forward.

Not in denial. Fortunately for Tulane and the AAC your wrong so often they should be getting more money sooner than later. :mrgreen:

You're wrong about the production cost. The only games we have to produce are the ones that end up on ESPN+. The new contract calls for more games to be on the networks. We should continue to get better so we'll be on one of the ESPN networks a lot more than ESPN+. We've been doing the production for the All-ACCESS games for years. The cost is not prohibitive.

If I say white you have to say black.

Enjoy the trip down the river.
LMFAO

Your last post has contradictions of MANY articles about the details of our contract with ESPN.

I hope your therapist will see you over the weekend, because you are delusional.

I say black when you're wrong, but again you NEVER admit when you're wrong. Here you are clearly wrong. ESPN isn't giving away money. Period. End of argument.
Last edited by DfromCT on Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

I’m at this game and I’m hoping Auburn gets the business.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

LMFAO your wrong again. No contradictions. Way to try and cover up that you are wrong about the production numbers.

I've admitted being wrong multiple times. It's just your fall back lie when you got nothing else. There is someone here who's never admitted they were wrong but it's not me.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:25 pm LMFAO your wrong again. No contradictions. Way to try and cover up that you are wrong about the production numbers.

I've admitted being wrong multiple times. It's just your fall back lie when you got nothing else. There is someone here who's never admitted they were wrong but it's not me.
Three times this week I've started a post saying "I WAS WRONG".

and you keep using the term "lie" when you're absolutely wrong. You're lying dude!

You're such a Fido.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:29 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:25 pm LMFAO your wrong again. No contradictions. Way to try and cover up that you are wrong about the production numbers.

You're such a Fido.
Proving my point about the contract.

Bye eeyore . Off to enjoy a great New Orleans meal.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:31 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:29 pm

You're such a Fido.
Proving my point about the contract.

Bye eeyore . Off to enjoy a great New Orleans meal.
You won!!!!!!!!

:lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
Wavetime
Swell

What is our current contract? I believe I read that we are receiving in the 8 Million range. Is this correct?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wavetime wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:46 pm What is our current contract? I believe I read that we are receiving in the 8 Million range. Is this correct?
No our CURRENT contract gives us about $1.5-2 million.

The contract the AAC just signed gives each University roughly $7 million/year, starting next year. But the home team has to absorb all production costs, which could be $500k-1 mln/year. It's a big increase for sure. But most of the "P5" Universities are getting $30 million. Some think we have a shot at being higher ranked than the ACC or PAC 12. The ACC has two of the past four mythical national championships in the sport that counts the most and dominates basketball. The PAC 12 has a long and storied history and frankly is just more attractive than the AAC, regardless of records.

We're still on the outside looking in despite a big raise in TV revenue. And don't think for a minute that the HUGE money differentials don't make a difference to the products on the field.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

What a classic college football game. Auburn true Frosh (and one of the top recruits in the country) throws a TD pass with 9 seconds left for the win. He's not really a Freshman any more.

The Auburn win will just make it so much sweeter when we pull off the upset next week!

ROLL WAVE!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

It’s not about being good, in order to get P5 TV contracts. It’s about having a lot of fans, big attendance, and even bigger TV audiences—that’s what ESPN and any other outlets want. Wins are fine, but fans are even better.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:55 pm It’s not about being good, in order to get P5 TV contracts. It’s about having a lot of fans, big attendance, and even bigger TV audiences—that’s what ESPN and any other outlets want. Wins are fine, but fans are even better.
And that's the problem that the AAC faces. For crying out loud, probably the biggest fan base outside of Navy is UCF, and it's very regional. Next is probably ECU, same thing. Getting fans that have no ties to the AAC to watch a great match up like Tulane vs UCF is like pulling teeth. And that's just one of many reasons we're getting peanuts compared to the P5.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:46 pm What is our current contract? I believe I read that we are receiving in the 8 Million range. Is this correct?
It's clear to anyone with a brain that you are referring to the new contract we signed that takes effect next season.We will get about that amount. D can't admit how wrong he is about the production cost. To be clear once again we only bear the production cost for games that are on ESPN+ which might be one to two year. It's all in house so there will be an initial start up cost and after that it will be minimal .
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:55 pm It’s not about being good, in order to get P5 TV contracts. It’s about having a lot of fans, big attendance, and even bigger TV audiences—that’s what ESPN and any other outlets want. Wins are fine, but fans are even better.
The wins bring fan bases.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Costs are minuscule once you have the production equipment and infrastructure in place. I read where most of the AAC schools already have this infrastructure. Even if they don’t it is a one time purchase whose costs can be amortized over twenty five to thirty years. Production costs are the least of our worries. I don’t understand why this issue keeps taking up space on this forum.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:31 pm Costs are minuscule once you have the production equipment and infrastructure in place. I read where most of the AAC schools already have this infrastructure. Even if they don’t it is a one time purchase whose costs can be amortized over twenty five to thirty years. Production costs are the least of our worries. I don’t understand why this issue keeps taking up space on this forum.
Thank you. Nice to know there is intelligent life out there. I said that about 25 post ago. Unfortunately we have to hear it because somebody's ego has no limits.