Zion and the Pels

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

What do you think of it? Love the Zion pick of course. Unsure about the others. Hope they turn out well. This great sports town deserves winning.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:22 pm What do you think of it? Love the Zion pick of course. Unsure about the others. Hope they turn out well. This great sports town deserves winning.
Amazing to say the least. Only time will tell. But since AD forced their hand it’s remarkable how many players the Pels are receiving for one guy. If just a couple turn out well it could mean playoffs sooner than later especially with Zion. I tuned in to listen on the radio 99.5 FM expecting to hear Graff but was disappointed. Sean Kelly who is great was covering the draft. I guess the official announcement/ move hasn’t happened yet. I’m looking forward to making some Pels games this season. I need to see Zion in person.
I liked AD but wasn’t a huge NBA fan (I last were during the Pistol/Jazz era). I’ve been a huge fan of (Duke basketball) and Zion from day one. With his arrival I’ll once again be an NBA fan. He’s a freak of nature. ESPN had a video of him yesterday throwing a FB 85 yards. Just incredible athleticism. Pels season ticket sales are through the roof. After winning the 1st puck they sold like 4000 new season tickets. Now after last night I’m sure that number will increase once again. Really excited to see this team in action.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

In the news reports about the switch it said Kelley was staying on through the draft. Can't remember the exact switch date though. Graff will really have a lot to work with with Zion. Perfect timing.

My father-in-law and I bought a 12 game package for next season. I've always liked Duke too. If his game translates we will win big very quickly. He's an alpha male and will help rise everyone else up around him . That's the difference between him and Davis. Davis is a follower. Big market media isn't going to tolerate all of the games he misses with injuries nor will they tolerate the quarters he misses in games when he gets bumped into. Zion will play through.

My only concern is that if our basketball program rises it will be overlooked due to the Pels resurgence. Never the less I'm hoping both do great.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:34 am In the news reports about the switch it said Kelley was staying on through the draft. Can't remember the exact switch date though. Graff will really have a lot to work with with Zion. Perfect timing.

My father-in-law and I bought a 12 game package for next season. I've always liked Duke too. If his game translates we will win big very quickly. He's an alpha male and will help rise everyone else up around him . That's the difference between him and Davis. Davis is a follower. Big market media isn't going to tolerate all of the games he misses with injuries nor will they tolerate the quarters he misses in games when he gets bumped into. Zion will play through.

My only concern is that if our basketball program rises it will be overlooked due to the Pels resurgence. Never the less I'm hoping both do great.
Yes. I totally agree. My connections to the Pels run deep. My nephew works in the front office. One of the few people new VP Griffin kept on from the prior staff. They pretty much got what they wanted so hopefully the guys work out.
Here’s a pic of my nephew (far right) next to coach Gentry after yesterday’s draft.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Cool. Good for him.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Actually the Pel's good fortune is going to seriously hurt our MBB ticket sales and attendance . We are not a basketball town and the limited interest from casual fans will almost 100 % flow to the pros and virtually eliminate impulse walk up sales for us, as it will also eliminate "curious" sales.
We had better hope that there are not too many dates that find us with a home game the same night as the Pels .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:37 am Actually the Pel's good fortune is going to seriously hurt our MBB ticket sales and attendance . We are not a basketball town and the limited interest from casual fans will almost 100 % flow to the pros and virtually eliminate impulse walk up sales for us, as it will also eliminate "curious" sales.
We had better hope that there are not too many dates that find us with a home game the same night as the Pels .
I agree. Any progress will likely be overshadowed by the Pels high interest. But one way to share in the Pels high interest is to bring recruits in to see the Pelicans and Zion play.
We need to schedule some big teams to come in and play us at Smoothie King. That way you can tell a recruit “we play where Zion plays”. Instead of fighting the Pels we need to partner and capitalize on them bringing basketball interest back to the city. This is a pro town so we need to work with those guys. Over the years they’ve been many pro guys in the stands to watch us play including Baron Davis, AD, and coach Monte just to name a few.
Tulane needs to figure out how to capitalize on this.
Tulane Class of 1981
AugWave
Swell

If we are good, people will notice. That simple. It's not about being able to support. It's about supporting something that's worth a damn.
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

AugWave wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:31 am If we are good, people will notice. That simple. It's not about being able to support. It's about supporting something that's worth a damn.
I couldn't agree more. I'm a big fan of Duke basketball as I have family ties leading back to Coach K's first days in Durham. I loved watching a healthy Zion this past season. But I watched my first (almost entire) NBA game in at least 20 years during the NBA finals. It was a great game, but didn't compel me to watch game 6.

Some folks just do not like the NBA and much prefer the college game. That's who we need to target. But winning a few conference games and more than 4 games total has to improve attendance, even if the Pels contend for an NBA title.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

National TV:
ESPN just announced they are going to televise Zion's first summer league game vs Knicks July 5th.

Zion effect:
NOLA businesses expect to boom.
https://www.wdsu.com/article/zion-expec ... s/28139543
Tulane Class of 1981
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Incredible start in the exhibition season by Zion and the Pels. Preseason home sellouts and big road crowds are now the norm to see Zion.
Pels sold almost 18,000 tickets for last nights preseason game. Recently over 10,000 attended an open practice.
https://www.nola.com/sports/pelicans/ar ... c54bf.html
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Actually that practice was last Saturday.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:51 am Actually that practice was last Saturday.
👍
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Riptide

Zion looks like he’s already an All-Star caliber player.
RobertM320
Green Wave

greenie78 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:33 am Zion looks like he’s already an All-Star caliber player.
They already have people saying he's not living up to the hype because he hasn't expanded his game out of the paint yet. Last two games, he's ONLY 21-25 from the field, and 55 points in 48 total minutes of playing time. When you're finishing at the rim at an 84% clip, you don't really need much else right now. I mean, they don't seem able to stop him.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:46 am
greenie78 wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:33 am Zion looks like he’s already an All-Star caliber player.
They already have people saying he's not living up to the hype because he hasn't expanded his game out of the paint yet. Last two games, he's ONLY 21-25 from the field, and 55 points in 48 total minutes of playing time. When you're finishing at the rim at an 84% clip, you don't really need much else right now. I mean, they don't seem able to stop him.
Crazy people for sure. Last night after his first shot (a dunk) he pulled up and hit a 3 from the top of the key. He dropped in 26pts last night in only 23 minutes.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Fans want Zion to be Lebron, (the second or third or fourth, but not the best player of all time). He's 19 years old, plays with a passion and a smile. He will grow into everything that could have been expected of him, including (something the NBA lacks badly) a defensive force. Enjoy the ride, Pels fans!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V