When it's Hot and U have lot's of $$$$

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The Yankees will be disappointed to have their second home, the Ballpark in Arlington, no longer host their trips to Texas. I would bet the Yankees are somewhere close to .700 playing there. Maybe it just seems they rarely lose there (and I'm a Mets fan!) but especially in the playoffs, the Yankees seemed damned comfortable there.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Beautiful park. One thing I took from those stories is that the trend of smaller seating continues.
The original Globe Life Park built seated 52,000 and it was later reduced to 48,000. The new park will now seat 40,000. So 12,000 less than the original park.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:02 am Beautiful park. One thing I took from those stories is that the trend of smaller seating continues.
The original Globe Life Park built seated 52,000 and it was later reduced to 48,000. The new park will now seat 40,000. So 12,000 less than the original park.
This is like a Rick Dickson "capacity versus seating" conversation. Seating was never 50K. It was 49k and change when the stadium opened, and down to just over 48k by 2014. The record crowd, for a World Series game was 52,419 in 2010. Doubtful they would let that many in today.

But your point is well taken, TPS. The trend for pro and college sports is to build smaller, as the crowds dwindle due to more competition for the leisure dollars. Funny thing is that the Rangers cried about not having a roof and A/C as the main reason to replace a beautiful (and relatively young) ballpark. The new stadium will have a roof and A/C but will be close to 20% smaller. If they remain on schedule, the new ballpark will open on my 58th birthday.

Tulane is not the only entity that recognizes the glory days of huge crowds for regular season sports events has come and gone.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That would be news to the 70,000 who pack the Dome for Saints games and to the fans of other NFL teams who pack their stadiums. As to the Rangers it's rare for a baseball team to build a stadium to hold 50,000. In fact I think most probably don't even go to 40,000. They overbuilt and now they are coming back to the pack.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:17 am
tpstulane wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:02 am Beautiful park. One thing I took from those stories is that the trend of smaller seating continues.
This is like a Rick Dickson "capacity versus seating" conversation. Seating was never 50K. It was 49k and change when the stadium opened, and down to just over 48k by 2014. The record crowd, for a World Series game was 52,419 in 2010. Doubtful they would let that many in today.

But your point is well taken, TPS. The trend for pro and college sports is to build smaller, as the crowds dwindle due to more competition for the leisure dollars. Funny thing is that the Rangers cried about not having a roof and A/C as the main reason to replace a beautiful (and relatively young) ballpark. The new stadium will have a roof and A/C but will be close to 20% smaller. If they remain on schedule, the new ballpark will open on my 58th birthday.

Tulane is not the only entity that recognizes the glory days of huge crowds for regular season sports events has come and gone.
Just quoting the article which says “seating”
Probably most venues go by capacity these days.
At the outset, it sat as many as 52,000—also a mistake—and it seats 48,000 today. The new park is slated to seat about 40,000, a much more manageable number, considering the Rangers’ announced attendance averaged 26,013 for their 81 home dates last season, ranking them 19th among the 30 major league teams.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Ruski
Swell

winwave wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:45 am That would be news to the 70,000 who pack the Dome for Saints games and to the fans of other NFL teams who pack their stadiums. As to the Rangers it's rare for a baseball team to build a stadium to hold 50,000. In fact I think most probably don't even go to 40,000. They overbuilt and now they are coming back to the pack.
For most of the first decade in the new Busch stadium, the Cardinals were drawing 40k regularly. I remember going to a game around 2015 and thinking "damn it's empty" and the announced crowd was still like 35k.....I know that's probably sold not in attendance but still, Cardinals fans show up like it's still 1985.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Ruski wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:49 pm
winwave wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:45 am That would be news to the 70,000 who pack the Dome for Saints games and to the fans of other NFL teams who pack their stadiums. As to the Rangers it's rare for a baseball team to build a stadium to hold 50,000. In fact I think most probably don't even go to 40,000. They overbuilt and now they are coming back to the pack.
For most of the first decade in the new Busch stadium, the Cardinals were drawing 40k regularly. I remember going to a game around 2015 and thinking "damn it's empty" and the announced crowd was still like 35k.....I know that's probably sold not in attendance but still, Cardinals fans show up like it's still 1985.
The NFL is a different animal entirely, as winwave's post points out. But there's damned few D1 schools that can pack the stadiums, as witnessed in Baton Rouge. LSU rarely sells out since their last stadium expansion. And they don't have an NBA and NFL team competing with them. Notre Dame used to be a very tough ticket, but visiting teams regularly find a way to get double their ticket allotment into the stadium. Even the Yankees, one of the richest sports franchises in the world built a considerably smaller stadium when they knocked down the house that Ruth built.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I was wrong about most not getting to 40,000 for MLB. Seven are below that. 10 have 50,000 or more. The rest are just above 40,000. Yankee Stadium went from 56,000 to 50,000 in the new one. I'd note those are capacities as I couldn't find a list with just seating numbers.

As to LSU they did like the Rangers and overbuilt. Yet they still get actual crowds of 70-80,000 for their lesser games.

So while some are going a bit smaller no one is pulling a Tulane and going tiny. *

( Yes the Chargers are playing in a soccer stadium and not drawing well as they branded themselves as somewhat of a joke by doing so. They'll be playing in a much bigger stadium in 2020 like everybody else).
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I was surprised "the new" Yankee stadium seats that many. For baseball it's official seating is 47,422 nine thousand and change less than the renovated old Yankee Stadium. I thought it was smaller closer to 40K. But if you watch their games, they have empty seats (corporate owned, I'm sure) even versus their arch rival Red Sox. The Mets overbuilt their stadium and are practically giving away tickets (injuries and some bad decisions have kept them from getting back to the World Series which seems like a long time ago though it was only 3 years.)

Getting back on topic, I'm shocked that the Rangers are getting taxpayers to pony up close to $1 billion after building the ballpark in Arlington 25 years ago. I guess that's the new life of a stadium in Texas! Jerry Jones should start saving now so his son can rebuild in 20 years!