How did you become a Tulane fan?

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:02 pm
wave97 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:22 pm Grew up not believing that Joe Paterno was a demi-god. Unpopular position in 1970's Pennsylvania.
Saw the 1979 team play PSU on national tv. Impressed by Tulane's team speed and execution..
Was recruited by Penn State in 1979. Was invited to attend a game at Beaver Stadium during an open weekend of my senior season. After receiving two tickets and a field pass in the mail I can remember asking my team mate "Who is this team with a U on their helmets"? I had no idea that Miami had a University, much less a football team.
I witnessed Jim Kelley (who Jo-pa would only extend an offer as a linebacker), dissect a lumbering PSU.
Tulane's style of play reminded me of what I saw from Miami on that day in early November of 1979.
Did you play for Tulane? If so, we overlapped (though at 150 lbs, I was nowhere near playing D1 football!!!) I would have watched you play, though. One of my favorites from the 1981 team was Sly McGrew. Great LB. Sorry for my ignorance!
Don't forget Brian Douglas, Jeff Roberts, Darryl Tipton, Ricky Goff & Lionel. That 1981 defense shut down Clemson that went on to win the NC in 1981.
My playing days were short. Blew out three lumbar discs in spectacular fashion - permanent nerve damage.
Declined multiple spinal fusions in the early 80's.
Ultimately received chymopapane treatment in L5/S1 disc & micro-discectomy in L-4/5 & L3/4.
Doing well, but L2/3 work is in my future.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wow awesome story GreenLantern!
I remember Shoe Town well. They were the best sponsor ever for the New Orleans Jazz NBA team. Those $2 Shoe Town Superdome Terrace tickets were the bomb! A lot of my friends would get in on those and sneak down to the floor level and watch Pistol Pete near court side.
I never missed a game. My dad sat with the media on the press table near the bench and I would get to sit next to him. Great memories!
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:09 am
wave97 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:22 pm Grew up not believing that Joe Paterno was a demi-god. Unpopular position in 1970's Pennsylvania.
Saw the 1979 team play PSU on national tv. Impressed by Tulane's team speed and execution..
Was recruited by Penn State in 1979. Was invited to attend a game at Beaver Stadium during an open weekend of my senior season. After receiving two tickets and a field pass in the mail I can remember asking my team mate "Who is this team with a U on their helmets"? I had no idea that Miami had a University, much less a football team.
I witnessed Jim Kelley (who Jo-pa would only extend an offer as a linebacker), dissect a lumbering PSU.
Tulane's style of play reminded me of what I saw from Miami on that day in early November of 1979.
Did you play for Tulane? If so, we overlapped (though at 150 lbs, I was nowhere near playing D1 football!!!) I would have watched you play, though. One of my favorites from the 1981 team was Sly McGrew. Great LB. Sorry for my ignorance!
Don't forget Brian Douglas, Jeff Roberts, Darryl Tipton, Ricky Goff & Lionel. That 1981 defense shut down Clemson that went on to win the NC in 1981.
My playing days were short. Blew out three lumbar discs in spectacular fashion - permanent nerve damage.
Ultimately received chymopapane treatment in L5/S1 disc & micro-discectomy in L-4/5 & L3/4.
I remember Tipton, Goff and of course Lionel. We called the D back then "The Pointer Sisters." They would give up a huge chunk of yardage, make a big hit 20+ yards down the field, and get up and point at the ball carrier that got blown up like they made a great play. Yes, I think the score of the Clemson game was something like 13-5 and we didn't give up more than 24 points all year. But they had a knack for pointing at the opponent after giving up a big play. That was also the team that beat LSU 48-7 to finish 6-5 after starting 0-4.

Glad to hear you're doing relatively well. Good luck with L2/3.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:27 am
wave97 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:09 am
I remember Tipton, Goff and of course Lionel. We called the D back then "The Pointer Sisters." They would give up a huge chunk of yardage, make a big hit 20+ yards down the field, and get up and point at the ball carrier that got blown up like they made a great play. Yes, I think the score of the Clemson game was something like 13-5 and we didn't give up more tBhan 24 points all year. But they had a knack for pointing at the opponent after giving up a big play. That was also the team that beat LSU 48-7 to finish 6-5 after starting 0-4.

Glad to hear you're doing relatively well. Good luck with L2/3.
The pointer brothers were a part of the Wally English/Bob Davie staff. If we had that staff in 1980 things would have turned out much differently IMO
JerseyWave
Riptide

I became a Tulane fan when I decided that was where I wanted to go to college. The first Tulane football game I watched was the 1987 Independence Bowl on TV.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

JerseyWave wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:42 pm I became a Tulane fan when I decided that was where I wanted to go to college. The first Tulane football game I watched was the 1987 Independence Bowl on TV.
versus the Washington Huskies.......somewhere in a box or closet is the Independence Bowl Warm Up suit, that was given to players and staff by the Indy Bowl
Last edited by golfnut69 on Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:38 pm
The pointer brothers were a part of the Wally English/Bob Davie staff. If we had that staff in 1980 things would have turned out much differently IMO
Sorry, but we called Lionel and company the Pointer Sisters, well before Wally English/Bob Davie arrived. I have never heard the term Pointer Brothers until I read your post.
wave97
Swell

DfromCT wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:04 am
Sorry, but we called Lionel and company the Pointer Sisters, well before Wally English/Bob Davie arrived. I have never heard the term Pointer Brothers until I read your post.
Your memory does not serve you well on this pointless topic. The Mississippi State spying incident, the Jon English 6th year eligibility drama, the telephone scandal & the Pointer BROTHERS were all under the staff of Wally English. Wally's staff was quite possibly the best group of assistant coaches in the long history of Tulane Football. Bob Davie, Mike Sherman, Kurt Schottenheimer, Bryant Poole, Joe Philbin.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:23 pm
DfromCT wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:04 am
Your memory does not serve you well on this pointless topic. The Mississippi State spying incident, the Jon English 6th year eligibility drama, the telephone scandal & the Pointer BROTHERS were all under the staff of Wally English. Wally's staff was quite possibly the best group of assistant coaches in the long history of Tulane Football. Bob Davie, Mike Sherman, Kurt Schottenheimer, Bryant Poole, Joe Philbin.
Perhaps my friends had a different experience that had ZERO to do with the Pointer Bros. It had NOTHING to do with a media article or formal nickname, it was something me and about a dozen other underclassmen in 1981 joked about. So unless you were part of that young and amused group, you have no idea what we said 38 years ago. I'm not debating that there may have been a nickname in future years of Pointer brothers, but I heard it first when I read your post. We certainly called them the Pointer Sisters and to this day joke about it.

Lionel was absolutely part of the group that we called Pointer Sisters. I remember a play very distinctly where he lowered a shoulder and sent a player spinning out of bounds 35 yards downfield where he got up pointing and I looked at my buddy and we dubbed them the Pointer SISTERS. I never knew that the name was really part of the team later on. You cannot tell me what me and my friends sitting in section 614 at the dome called anyone on the field.

"We wanna score with Elmore!"
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Please try and stay on topic.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Rat
Ripple

I was born in 1954 and I have been going to TU games forever. Earliest I can remember is when I was 6, but I bet I went before that. My dad would drive us to the games from New Iberia on old Hwy 182. Man was that a long drive. We would park on Teddy Cotonio’s (my dad’s old friend) front lawn, one street over from the stadium. The old metal ramps sound still ring in my head. My dad and his brothers and sister went to TU/Newcomb in 1920s to the 1950s. 48 members (and counting) and four generations of my family have attended TU, all from New Iberia, La. My uncle was on the board at TU in the 60s when we left the sec. (that’s a whole other story). I didn’t go to TU. 😔 My father died when I was 10 and my mother struggled to make ends meet (I didn’t have the brains either). My two sons graduated from TU and my second son was a TU athlete. I married a N.O. Girl in 1979 and have gone to all home games for 40 years, maybe missing one game every other year. My sons would stay at Mimi and Paw paws for the summer and go to Perry Clark’s basketball camps. I wear my TU hat or shirt everyday, even at work! Also I’m a huge basketball fan! Use to go all the time back in the 70s thur the 2007. Wayne was a really good friend and I miss him dearly.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Rat wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:52 pm I was born in 1954 and I have been going to TU games forever. Earliest I can remember is when I was 6, but I bet I went before that. My dad would drive us to the games from New Iberia on old Hwy 182. Man was that a long drive. We would park on Teddy Cotonio’s (my dad’s old friend) front lawn, one street over from the stadium. The old metal ramps sound still ring in my head. My dad and his brothers and sister went to TU/Newcomb in 1920s to the 1950s. 48 members (and counting) and four generations of my family have attended TU, all from New Iberia, La. My uncle was on the board at TU in the 60s when we left the sec. (that’s a whole other story). I didn’t go to TU. 😔 My father died when I was 10 and my mother struggled to make ends meet (I didn’t have the brains either). My two sons graduated from TU and my second son was a TU athlete. I married a N.O. Girl in 1979 and have gone to all home games for 40 years, maybe missing one game every other year. My sons would stay at Mimi and Paw paws for the summer and go to Perry Clark’s basketball camps. I wear my TU hat or shirt everyday, even at work! Also I’m a huge basketball fan! Use to go all the time back in the 70s thur the 2007. Wayne was a really good friend and I miss him dearly.
Welcome to the forum, Rat! There are only two requirements for participating in this forum: 1)You must be a Tulane fan and 2)You must have a thick skin. The latter is helpful because in times where we have little or no sports activity, everyone tends to attack one another for reasons real or imagined. Don't be a stranger.
Rat
Ripple

I have been on board for years, just never post much.