ESPN subscriber collapse

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21432
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:02 am

DfromCT wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 am
Why do you need the Disney+ and Hulu packages? Isn't all AAC content AFTER THIS YEAR going to be on ESPN or an ESPN app or network?
Right for this year but next year
just ESPN+ alone we’ll need will be available for subscription only.
You don’t need those other two however if you’re a cord cutter than for just $6-7 more you can get two more streams if you bundle.


Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
greenie78
Swell
Posts: 1353
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:35 am
Status: Offline

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:26 am

DfromCT wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 am
Why do you need the Disney+ and Hulu packages? Isn't all AAC content AFTER THIS YEAR going to be on ESPN or an ESPN app or network?
No one said you need to get the bundle to watch AAC content. You can get ESPN+ separately without getting Hulu and Disney+.
Aberzombie1892
Swell
Posts: 2169
Joined: Sat May 31, 2014 8:16 pm
Location: Houston, TX
Status: Online

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:42 am

tpstulane wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:02 am
DfromCT wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:10 am
Why do you need the Disney+ and Hulu packages? Isn't all AAC content AFTER THIS YEAR going to be on ESPN or an ESPN app or network?
Right for this year but next year
just ESPN+ alone we’ll need will be available for subscription only.
You don’t need those other two however if you’re a cord cutter than for just $6-7 more you can get two more streams if you bundle.
Right. The whole goal of the combined program is to get more ESPN+ subscribers as ESPN+ is essentially being thrown in for free if someone wants Disney+ and Hulu. Hopefully, that package will result in increased viewership for the AAC since may people would have ESPN+ package anyway due to that program.

For cord cutters, the below streaming services will cover virtually everything in mainstream demand other than CBS for less than $70 a month (and no issues with satellites):
DIsney+, Hulu, and ESPN+
Netflix
Sling TV (Orange and Blue)
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21432
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:22 pm

Latest: Disney not interested in sports.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/07/espn-ca ... aming.html
ESPN is caught in an awkward strategic time as traditional pay-TV customers decline while the network continues to bring in billions in revenue.
Disney covets NFL Sunday Ticket but will likely need to wait until DirecTV's contract with the NFL runs out after the 2022 season, sources say.
There are two factions within ESPN with differing viewpoints on the correct direction of the network -- one that favors SportsCenter and another that favors more personality-driven programming..
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 8057
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:28 pm

You know, that kinda sucks. I mean, ESPN made its name on sports programming. Why would a corporation be interested in acquiring a property just to go away from what makes that property valuable? I mean, if the head people at Disney want a network that's not sports driven, then create a new network. Don't dismantle what you already have. ESPNissues or ESPNroundtable, or something like that.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21432
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:36 am

RobertM320 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:28 pm
You know, that kinda sucks. I mean, ESPN made its name on sports programming. Why would a corporation be interested in acquiring a property just to go away from what makes that property valuable? I mean, if the head people at Disney want a network that's not sports driven, then create a new network. Don't dismantle what you already have. ESPNissues or ESPNroundtable, or something like that.
Yep. Crazy stuff there.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10800
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:22 am

ESPN is the monster that created the haves versus have nots in College football. We also call this the P5 versus G5. Their uncontrolled spending on the P5 contracts is leading to the demise of the monster, yet the money they spent puts the "haves" in control of most of D1 sports. ESPN may well be gone before the whole thing shakes out, or collapses.

That all said, ESPN has little or no chance of ever getting the Sunday Ticket from the NFL. When AT&T bought DirectTV, it was contingent upon DirectTV renewing its' contract for the Sunday Ticket. Yes, a mega-billion dollar deal hinged upon the Sunday Ticket. AT&T will not let that go, and ESPN would have to win a bidding war that I'm not sure they could win. We shall see.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
golfnut69
Wild Pelican
Posts: 11749
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Online

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am

DfromCT wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:22 am
ESPN is the monster that created the haves versus have nots in College football. We also call this the P5 versus G5. Their uncontrolled spending on the P5 contracts is leading to the demise of the monster, yet the money they spent puts the "haves" in control of most of D1 sports. ESPN may well be gone before the whole thing shakes out, or collapses.

That all said, ESPN has little or no chance of ever getting the Sunday Ticket from the NFL. When AT&T bought DirectTV, it was contingent upon DirectTV renewing its' contract for the Sunday Ticket. Yes, a mega-billion dollar deal hinged upon the Sunday Ticket. AT&T will not let that go, and ESPN would have to win a bidding war that I'm not sure they could win. We shall see.
when ESPN comes to it's monetary senses, if there are any left, who will be paying all of these PEE's Fees ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10800
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:10 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am
when ESPN comes to it's monetary senses, if there are any left, who will be paying all of these PEE's Fees ?
That's what it all boils down to. I'm not sure if it happens in the next 10 years, but sooner or later the monster that created this mess is going to disappear, or reinvent itself as something different. But the mess that was once D1 football will be an absolute mess.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3937
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:04 am

I as many here have zero interest in ESPN content outside of Tulane. If they disappeared tomorrow I wouldn’t notice it. I’d rather pay Tulane directly then ESPN to watch our games.
User avatar
RobertM320
Green Wave
Posts: 8057
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:09 am

DfromCT wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:10 am
golfnut69 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am
when ESPN comes to it's monetary senses, if there are any left, who will be paying all of these PEE's Fees ?
That's what it all boils down to. I'm not sure if it happens in the next 10 years, but sooner or later the monster that created this mess is going to disappear, or reinvent itself as something different. But the mess that was once D1 football will be an absolute mess.
And I think that's a big question as well. If all those P5 contracts go away, there's a lot of schools that have borrowed big to build facilities on the assumption of that golden goose continuing to lay golden eggs. What happens if the money dries up. Because, regardless of what LSU fans and others might tell you, their programs and facilities aren't being paid for just with donations from alums.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10800
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:43 am

RobertM320 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:09 am
DfromCT wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:10 am
golfnut69 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am
when ESPN comes to it's monetary senses, if there are any left, who will be paying all of these PEE's Fees ?
That's what it all boils down to. I'm not sure if it happens in the next 10 years, but sooner or later the monster that created this mess is going to disappear, or reinvent itself as something different. But the mess that was once D1 football will be an absolute mess.
And I think that's a big question as well. If all those P5 contracts go away, there's a lot of schools that have borrowed big to build facilities on the assumption of that golden goose continuing to lay golden eggs. What happens if the money dries up. Because, regardless of what LSU fans and others might tell you, their programs and facilities aren't being paid for just with donations from alums.
We saw how quickly UConn went downhill without P5 exposure and dollars. I think the top half of most of the P5's will do just fine, but the bottom half, which represents at least 32 teams, will be in trouble and joining the "have nots."

Ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with 4 "Super Conferences" with 16 teams each, creating a college football division that has nothing to do with the NCAA.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19295
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:54 pm

RobertM320 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:09 am
DfromCT wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:10 am
golfnut69 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am
when ESPN comes to it's monetary senses, if there are any left, who will be paying all of these PEE's Fees ?
That's what it all boils down to. I'm not sure if it happens in the next 10 years, but sooner or later the monster that created this mess is going to disappear, or reinvent itself as something different. But the mess that was once D1 football will be an absolute mess.
And I think that's a big question as well. If all those P5 contracts go away, there's a lot of schools that have borrowed big to build facilities on the assumption of that golden goose continuing to lay golden eggs. What happens if the money dries up. Because, regardless of what LSU fans and others might tell you, their programs and facilities aren't being paid for just with donations from alums.
R- I'm asking seriously. Do you have proof that those schools are lying when they say that those facilities are paid for by donations?
Small time facilities for small time programs.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21432
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
HoustonWave
Riptide
Posts: 4779
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:00 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:43 am
RobertM320 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:09 am
DfromCT wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:10 am


That's what it all boils down to. I'm not sure if it happens in the next 10 years, but sooner or later the monster that created this mess is going to disappear, or reinvent itself as something different. But the mess that was once D1 football will be an absolute mess.
And I think that's a big question as well. If all those P5 contracts go away, there's a lot of schools that have borrowed big to build facilities on the assumption of that golden goose continuing to lay golden eggs. What happens if the money dries up. Because, regardless of what LSU fans and others might tell you, their programs and facilities aren't being paid for just with donations from alums.
We saw how quickly UConn went downhill without P5 exposure and dollars. I think the top half of most of the P5's will do just fine, but the bottom half, which represents at least 32 teams, will be in trouble and joining the "have nots."

Ultimately, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with 4 "Super Conferences" with 16 teams each, creating a college football division that has nothing to do with the NCAA.
Exactly. Very possible, if not likely.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21432
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:01 pm

Disney raises price of ESPN+ to $6.99,
Annual subscription jumps $10 to $69.99
But keeps bundle with Hulu and Disney+ unchanged
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/12/disney- ... month.html
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10800
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:41 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:01 pm
Disney raises price of ESPN+ to $6.99,
Annual subscription jumps $10 to $69.99
But keeps bundle with Hulu and Disney+ unchanged
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/12/disney- ... month.html
ESPN+ is now generating close to $100 million a month in subscription fees alone. Imagine what a cash cow it's capable of becoming!
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3937
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:59 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:41 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:01 pm
Disney raises price of ESPN+ to $6.99,
Annual subscription jumps $10 to $69.99
But keeps bundle with Hulu and Disney+ unchanged
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/12/disney- ... month.html
ESPN+ is now generating close to $100 million a month in subscription fees alone. Imagine what a cash cow it's capable of becoming!
Yep. Taking from us to keep the SEC happy that’s on the main channels.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10800
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:48 am

Show Me wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:59 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:41 pm
tpstulane wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:01 pm
Disney raises price of ESPN+ to $6.99,
Annual subscription jumps $10 to $69.99
But keeps bundle with Hulu and Disney+ unchanged
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/12/disney- ... month.html
ESPN+ is now generating close to $100 million a month in subscription fees alone. Imagine what a cash cow it's capable of becoming!
Yep. Taking from us to keep the SEC happy that’s on the main channels.
ESPN+ has 14 million subscribers. I'll bet we really move the needle.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
Show Me
Riptide
Posts: 3937
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:24 pm
Location: Saint Bernard
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 15, 2021 7:50 am

DfromCT wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:48 am
Show Me wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 6:59 pm
DfromCT wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:41 pm


ESPN+ is now generating close to $100 million a month in subscription fees alone. Imagine what a cash cow it's capable of becoming!
Yep. Taking from us to keep the SEC happy that’s on the main channels.
ESPN+ has 14 million subscribers. I'll bet we really move the needle.
A lot are probably counted in the bundle. How many are just + stand-alone’s? My point being as a Tulane fan I have to subscribe to + see our FB, MBB and baseball games. If I’m an LSU fan all or most of my games are on the cable ESPN’s or SEC Network which come in the basic cable package.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide
Posts: 2714
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:24 am
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:48 am

I believe the B1G or Big12 also signed a deal to have a bunch of their games on espn +. It’s not just us. Espn + I would say this far has been pretty successful. Remember all access ? Hows your quality of life now ?


I have the full bundle (which also gives you espn insider access) and the no commercial option for Hulu. Honestly I think it’s great. I probably wouldn’t have gotten Disney + but it’s free in the bundle and has been enjoyable to have.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican
Posts: 10800
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:57 pm

ESPN really gets a sweet deal with the AAC contract. It adds content to ESPN+ at very low costs by putting the games that aren't draws on there while pushing production costs back to the host University. Then they sell commercials on top of it all!
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21432
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:10 pm

My 2 cents. I really like the +. I watched every baseball game that was on this past season for less than what two games in person would have cost me. It’s a great value. I subscribe month to month. I’m off now. Will buy again monthly when our first road FB game is on + and not regular TV or cable. I’ll cancel once our season is over. I haven’t decided yet if basketball warrants me to continue. But I’ll definitely pick it up for baseball again.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 21432
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:19 pm

Disney's shift to streaming puts ESPN in awkward position of clinging to the past

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/10/disney- ... -past.html

Looks like they plan on increasing the cost of ESPN+ incrementally.
Levy, who’s now chairman of data firm Genius Sports, said he thinks Disney can get 30 million customers to pay $30 a month for streaming ESPN, or more than double the cost for a standard Netflix subscription. That would bring in $10.8 billion annually — more than Disney makes today from pay-TV affiliate revenue.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 2339
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:40 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:19 pm
Levy, who’s now chairman of data firm Genius Sports, said he thinks Disney can get 30 million customers to pay $30 a month for streaming ESPN, or more than double the cost for a standard Netflix subscription.
Image
Welcome to gotula.net, where no horse is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
Post Reply