Gregg Williams

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
MicMan
Swell

Played golf this week with the former Saints Super Bowl DC and his son/NFL coach, Blake. Wants to sign with Philadelphia as a senior assistant, also talking to two western teams. Good guy who can still coach -- the Jets' D was 7th overall this past season.

His Tulane takeaways:

-- Knows Willie Fritz and has coached at camps with him, says he's an excellent coach

-- NFL coaches and personnel types are aware how Tulane has improved and the quality of players Fritz is turning out

-- Respects CJ but said he should never have been hired as HC

greenie78
Riptide

His play-calling in the 2010 and 2011 playoffs were abysmal and cost the team another ring. Did you mention that with him?
Jaxwave
Swell

Or the fact that throughout his career he has encouraged his players to take out opposing players.
MicMan
Swell

He lifted the trophy and served his time for Bountygate. Good enough for me.

Time moves on. Why can't you?
RobertM320
Green Wave

Jaxwave wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:03 pm Or the fact that throughout his career he has encouraged his players to take out opposing players.
As did every other DC in the league.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
gbgreenie
Surge

RobertM320 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:25 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:03 pm Or the fact that throughout his career he has encouraged his players to take out opposing players.
As did every other DC in the league.
No respect for the man as he almost had Brett Farve crippled for life. The Saints game against Farve sick to watch one Saint player hit Farve at the knees and another hit him high. Pathetic this man has a families like all of us. Having played football I know the difference between hard hitting and cheap shots aimed to cripple someone. Cheap shots at the knees and back should call for huge fines, because those can severely cripple or even paralyze someone for life. Saints and Payton got what they deserved because of Williams!!!
anEngineer
Riptide

I will only say one thing about that Vikings game that has bugged me since it happened. Part of the "evidence" of targeting against Favre was when he was pounded on a WR reverse that the Vikings ran. When you run a reverse, the QB is often the only player between the backside pressure and the ball carrier. If you don't want your QB in that position (in those days), don't run a reverse.