California lawmakers voted to let NCAA athletes get paid.

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5594
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:04 pm

https://www.theringer.com/2019/9/20/208 ... lo-podcast

45:00 minutes mark.

You want to argue these points then reply to those in the know. Listen to this and then reply.
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19029
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Sad thing is the NCAA will lose in court. 1984 the Supreme Court ruled against them that opened up schools and leagues to negotiate their own TV deals. That ruling basically started the P5 at that point. This decision will be challenged all the way again and the NCAA will lose. .
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
User avatar
GreenLantern
Swell
Posts: 2115
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:41 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:08 pm

Paying college athletes will result in a model similar to capitalism at its worst. Within a couple years, 5% of the schools will control 95% of the money and thus have a tremendous recruiting advantage. To which you will probably reply: "but they already do". I contend it will be much worse than now. We all rail against the inequity of the P5 group and how difficult it is for a small program (Tulane) to improve and grow. You ain't seen nothin' yet.

So let the agents pay the players directly. And you say, "So what. They already do." This will yield a system that favors major markets. Most successful agents do not favor Ames, Iowa; Boise, Idaho; or Starkville, MS They prefer larger and more profitable markets with enormous media exposure and huge financial resources. LA. Dallas. Atlanta. I'm confident that there is a J.R.Ewing living in Southfork that would love to finance the next Manning's attendance at SMU. The folks at Oxford, MS will be disappointed, but such is the free market.

And there's the argument to let boosters pay young players. You smugly assert, "they already do." Yes, they do. My only rebuttal is the same as the prior paragraph. You really ain't seen nothin' yet.

Keep in mind that to maintain competitiveness at the highest level of professional sports, fairness in compensation across market boundaries is such a problem that governing bodies enforce salary caps. That won't be the case for colleges.

I don't like this. I don't like anything about it. Will the courts approve? Probably. I'm still adjusting to the fact that golfnut can put on a dress, declare himself queen for a day, and have the legal right to go into the bathroom with my daughter. *SIGH* This is just another life adjustment with which I will have to grow accustomed. The older you are, the better everything used to be. Be as persuasive as you know how. You'll not get me to think this will make college football better.
Last edited by GreenLantern on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5594
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:09 pm

tpstulane wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:12 pm
Sad thing is the NCAA will lose in court. 1984 the Supreme Court ruled against them that opened up schools and leagues to negotiate their own TV deals. That ruling basically started the P5 at that point. This decision will be challenged all the way again and the NCAA will lose. .
That is what I have been reading. But the big money states are standing up and a few federal congressmen are introducing laws challenging tax status. Should be interesting.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5594
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:38 pm

winwave wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:28 am
mbawavefan12 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:40 am
winwave wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:04 am
Read my post again. I never said many make it. I said what is true. They are trying to reach their ultimate goal. I also said schools are paying them and that includes Tulane. Most importantly no one is forcing them into their agreements with the schools. They don't have to go. As for those of us paying for tickets I 'm into college football. I'm not into minor league football. If they start getting paid salaries then it will truly be a minor league and also ticket prices will go up. Another thing to point out is if schools had to pay them salaries then you can bet the number of players allowed on teams will be cut dramatically thus depriving many of that free education. Think there are attendance issues now. Just wait. I know people like to go with group think but the NCAA is not one of the most corrupt organizations in America.
You think the scholarship is enough, many do not including a unanimous vote in Cali. Free markets is the backbone to the our economy and American history. I still have yet to hear an argument why we would not allow the market to dictate the economic terms.
School are not paying salaries, it’s outside revenue.
It has nothing to do with attendance or harm to college sports. If that occurs then so be it. You can’t rig it because you don’t like the effects.
This, they are not forced is irrelevant and a tactic always used to distract people to the issue, free and fair workplaces.
You've made it clear over the years that nothing will convince you on this matter. Fact is many do agree about the scholarship and EVERYTHING ELSE I POINTED OUT THAT THEY GET IS ENOUGH. They are not forced is relevant. They can go elsewhere. Or they can sit for three years and train on their own. As to attendance it's not a scare tactic. The prices make a dramatic jump and even people like me will. sit at home instead of paying to go. So be careful what you ask for.
Ya some kid from a tough environment is just going to train on his own. Dear god, look around on saturdays. What do ya’ll see?
Labor has been forced into corners for centuries.
A study on labor history is clear. Workers in a lucrative business that relies on the quality of their labor, should have a say. End of story. Millions upon millions being made but the players should just take what they are offered because some think it is fair. No day say, no democratic process. While the richest state in America had their elected officials vote unanimously in the opposite direction.
The NCAA dictated the terms for too long. This is a non profit business dictating terms all while making millions and paying their admin, coaches etc staff millions and paying no taxes. Coaches can come and go as they please but players are regulated.. That is not American. The impact will be far less than people think. Big programs have dominated for years.
Whatever, it is coming, stay tuned. The toothpaste is out of the tube. You shall see. It is over. The NCAA’s only move at this point is concessions. Watch.
Last edited by mbawavefan12 on Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami
Posts: 5594
Joined: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:17 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:40 am

User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19029
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:37 am

Ron Hunter weighs in. Believes the NCAA will have to let HS kids go pro early again. Exactly how I feel.
https://crescentcitysports.com/ron-hunt ... -to-prove/
Asked about the new law signed in California on Monday that can allow student-athletes to benefit from their name, image and likeness, Hunter said there is likely more to come.
“There’s gonna be a change,” he said. “The NCAA is going to have to change. They’re going to allow high school players to go back to the NBA.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14674
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:48 am

I'm good with that. Like I said if they aren't good enough for that but still want to go pro they can go G league or go over seas. Some have started to do that.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14674
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:51 am

The only people's opinions that count are those that actually have to pay to get in. The customer is always right. Basic business sense.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 9230
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:04 am

tpstulane wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:37 am
Ron Hunter weighs in. Believes the NCAA will have to let HS kids go pro early again. Exactly how I feel.
https://crescentcitysports.com/ron-hunt ... -to-prove/
Asked about the new law signed in California on Monday that can allow student-athletes to benefit from their name, image and likeness, Hunter said there is likely more to come.
“There’s gonna be a change,” he said. “The NCAA is going to have to change. They’re going to allow high school players to go back to the NBA.
I am not sure I understand...the NCAA can dictate to a KId if he can sign a Pro Contract when he grads from High School.....when did that happen...sure as hell does not happen when it comes to Baseball...when did the NCAA take over Basketball ?.
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 7304
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:19 am

mbawavefan12 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:38 pm
Ya some kid from a tough environment is just going to train on his own. Dear god, look around on saturdays. What do ya’ll see?
Labor has been forced into corners for centuries.
A study on labor history is clear. Workers in a lucrative business that relies on the quality of their labor, should have a say. End of story. Millions upon millions being made but the players should just take what they are offered because some think it is fair. No day say, no democratic process. While the richest state in America had their elected officials vote unanimously in the opposite direction.
The NCAA dictated the terms for too long. This is a non profit business dictating terms all while making millions and paying their admin, coaches etc staff millions and paying no taxes. Coaches can come and go as they please but players are regulated.. That is not American. The impact will be far less than people think. Big programs have dominated for years.
Whatever, it is coming, stay tuned. The toothpaste is out of the tube. You shall see. It is over. The NCAA’s only move at this point is concessions. Watch.
Here's the flaw in this argument. This is not a JOB for the players. They are STUDENTS. Participating in sports is an EXTRA-CURRICULAR ACTIVITY. They're not required to do so. Its their choice.

So maybe lets go this direction. Give the player a choice when he signs his NLI. He can get his education and training and meals and healthcare paid for. OR, he can take a check every month and then pay his own way, like any other ADULT would have to do.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19029
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:33 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:04 am
tpstulane wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:37 am
Ron Hunter weighs in. Believes the NCAA will have to let HS kids go pro early again. Exactly how I feel.
https://crescentcitysports.com/ron-hunt ... -to-prove/
Asked about the new law signed in California on Monday that can allow student-athletes to benefit from their name, image and likeness, Hunter said there is likely more to come.
“There’s gonna be a change,” he said. “The NCAA is going to have to change. They’re going to allow high school players to go back to the NBA.
I am not sure I understand...the NCAA can dictate to a KId if he can sign a Pro Contract when he grads from High School.....when did that happen...sure as hell does not happen when it comes to Baseball...when did the NCAA take over Basketball ?.
Yes. Awhile back they decided this which has led to the “One and Done” schools like Kentucky who have figured out a way to remain at the top.
MLB Baseball has a minor league system. NBA basketball really doesn’t so they use college for free. Pro FB has none either.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Green Wave
Posts: 8182
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:40 am

The NBA has rules about having to be at least one year out of High School. Thus the creation of all the "one and dones". Zion would never have spent a year at Duke (though he seemed to thoroughly enjoy it) had he been eligible to go straight from HS to the NBA.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 14674
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:06 am

tpstulane wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:33 am
golfnut69 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:04 am
tpstulane wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:37 am
Ron Hunter weighs in. Believes the NCAA will have to let HS kids go pro early again. Exactly how I feel.
https://crescentcitysports.com/ron-hunt ... -to-prove/
Asked about the new law signed in California on Monday that can allow student-athletes to benefit from their name, image and likeness, Hunter said there is likely more to come.
“There’s gonna be a change,” he said. “The NCAA is going to have to change. They’re going to allow high school players to go back to the NBA.
I am not sure I understand...the NCAA can dictate to a KId if he can sign a Pro Contract when he grads from High School.....when did that happen...sure as hell does not happen when it comes to Baseball...when did the NCAA take over Basketball ?.
Yes. Awhile back they decided this which has led to the “One and Done” schools like Kentucky who have figured out a way to remain at the top.
MLB Baseball has a minor league system. NBA basketball really doesn’t so they use college for free. Pro FB has none either.
Actually the NBA does now have a full minor league system. As I have said all NBA teams will have a G league team. No more situations where multiple NBA teams put players on a G league team. So 30 minor league teams. Go for it.
JUST WIN TULANE! NO MORE EXCUSES! WE DESERVE BETTER!
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 2347
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Online

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 am

True, most of the P5 football factories will have little trouble ramping up alum dollars for the players they want. But what this will change is it will give other smaller, academically strong G5 schools the opportunity to turn their wealthy alums loose in challenging the big P5s in the bidding wars. SMU really is the best example of this, as their very wealthy, Dallas-based, alums can readily crank up their pay machine that was so successful in the early 80’s. The question for Tulane is whether it can organize its high-heeled alums into doing the same. It will be a challenge because Tulane has never had the same alumni connection efforts that SMU, and possibly other similar schools, have had. SMU also has the advantage of economic location and concentration of alums. But if Tulane really wants to adapt to this coming change, it can.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 9230
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:57 am

HoustonWave wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 am
True, most of the P5 football factories will have little trouble ramping up alum dollars for the players they want. But what this will change is it will give other smaller, academically strong G5 schools the opportunity to turn their wealthy alums loose in challenging the big P5s in the bidding wars. SMU really is the best example of this, as their very wealthy, Dallas-based, alums can readily crank up their pay machine that was so successful in the early 80’s. The question for Tulane is whether it can organize its high-heeled alums into doing the same. It will be a challenge because Tulane has never had the same alumni connection efforts that SMU, and possibly other similar schools, have had. SMU also has the advantage of economic location and concentration of alums. But if Tulane really wants to adapt to this coming change, it can.
simple solution...sell more KING CAKES
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 2347
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Online

Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:57 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:57 am
HoustonWave wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 am
True, most of the P5 football factories will have little trouble ramping up alum dollars for the players they want. But what this will change is it will give other smaller, academically strong G5 schools the opportunity to turn their wealthy alums loose in challenging the big P5s in the bidding wars. SMU really is the best example of this, as their very wealthy, Dallas-based, alums can readily crank up their pay machine that was so successful in the early 80’s. The question for Tulane is whether it can organize its high-heeled alums into doing the same. It will be a challenge because Tulane has never had the same alumni connection efforts that SMU, and possibly other similar schools, have had. SMU also has the advantage of economic location and concentration of alums. But if Tulane really wants to adapt to this coming change, it can.
simple solution...sell more KING CAKES
Using our pay-athletes as spokesmen.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 2347
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Online

Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:01 pm

One thing is for sure—if the Cowen Circus was still running the university, he would end Div I athletics at Tulane, in response to the coming changes. When it came to intercollegiate athletics, Cowen was always quick to run up the white flag.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
ajcalhoun
Swell
Posts: 2006
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:42 pm
Status: Online

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:51 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:07 am
The question for Tulane is whether it can organize its high-heeled alums into doing the same.
Image
Welcome to gotula.net, where it's never too late to mention Tanner Lee, Andy Cannizaro, Lindsey Scott Jr., Rich Rodriguez, David Pierce, or, of course, Scott Cowen. You see, no horse here is so dead that it cannot be beaten just a little bit more.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 9230
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:28 am

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 19029
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:42 am

Sad.
With its passing and the likelihood of it costing G5 schools money it looks like your going to see baseball and other men’s programs cut since they can’t touch women’s programs because of Title IX. Unintended consequences.
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 9230
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:13 am

tpstulane wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:42 am
Sad.
With its passing and the likelihood of it costing G5 schools money it looks like your going to see baseball and other men’s programs cut since they can’t touch women’s programs because of Title IX. Unintended consequences.
there is always Title X.......eliminate title IX
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 9230
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:27 pm

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 9230
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:21 am

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Post Reply