Rest in Peace Art Neville

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

May his family and friends all be blessed with the knowledge that Art is now in a better place. Art transcended musical and racial borders and brought as all together. As he used to say, and later echoed often by Cyril "there's only one race on the planet and that's the Human Race." AMEN!

As a 19 year old kid working in a French Quarter restaurant, I went to an after hours club with my buddy where there where members of the Meters and Neville Bros. playing. We were the only white folks in the club. I was a little scared as we got there when the set was ending and the big water jug came around to drop in money for the band. Art saw me put a few dollars in (this was 1982, or 83) and Art came up and started talking to me like he'd known me for years. We stayed a couple of hours, and saw some great music. I'm shedding a tear for Art, a great big one of thankfulness and appreciation.

I have to say I was absolutely blessed to know him. He'd talk to me at almost every show I went to. He probably didn't know my name, but he always said hello. Thank you Art, may you rest in peace.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

In high school we use to go to the F&M Patio or Labor Union Hall to see the Neville Bros....Irma Thomas....Benny Spellman...what great days....Sad day for NOLA... but Heaven, has just added one hell of a musican to the Band
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

golfnut69 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:07 pm In high school we use to go to the F&M Patio or Labor Union Hall to see the Neville Bros....Irma Thomas....Benny Spellman...what great days....Sad day for NOLA... but Heaven, has just added one hell of a musican to the Band
I hope they send me there to stuff a few dollars in the jug for the amazing band that represents N'awlins when I pass. It's been a tough year with Dr. John and now Art Neville passing.
MicMan
Swell

Saw the Meters at The Boot, and the Nevilles opened for the Stones at the Dome.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

MicMan wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:13 pm Saw the Meters at The Boot, and the Nevilles opened for the Stones at the Dome.
I saw both the shows you mentioned. Also saw the Neville Bros at a frat house party in 1981. Used to see the Meters regularly at uptown bars.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Another big loss to our community. May he rest in peace.

D- the place you mentioned in the OP was Bennie's on Valence Street.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:08 pm Another big loss to our community. May he rest in peace.

D- the place you mentioned in the OP was Bennie's on Valence Street.
You're right on ww! If I remember correctly (and it's been a lot of years) that's where we went after a few drinks elsewhere before it was "after hours" at 2 AM. Thanks. and what a great memory!

Edit: Let me check that: It was not the same place out by UNO that I thought was Bennie's that the Radiators played free gigs on Wednesday nights. This was someplace near what's now known as the warehouse district. Back then, before the Worlds Fair in 1984, the area where this club was was a dump.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Out by UNO may have been Spiders Web or possibly the Library.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:32 pm Out by UNO may have been Spiders Web or possibly the Library.
No, it was a hole in the wall pizza place that the Radiators played for years as a thank you for letting them rehearse there. Luigi's?
winwave
Top of the WAVE

That sounds right.
tufinal4
High Tide

Luigi's Pizza on Elysian Fields near intersection of Robt E Lee Blvd.
tufinal4
High Tide

The Spiders Web was closer to Brother Martin, near Mirabeau on Elysian Fields