Let's Play "Did Ya' Know "

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8213
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:39 pm

off week and bored..so let's post some trivia, while we wait for the new Coach to arrive

1957 NBA Finals Boston vs St Louis, yes boys and girls St Louis had an NBA Team, prior to the start of the 1st game in St Louis... Red Auerbach, the Boston Coach, complained the rims were not at regulation 10' height....the St Louis owner told Red to shut up, whereupon Red punched him in the mouth dislodging several teeth..... I guess there was no such thing as the PC police back in da' day...


Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
kookingkajun
Low Tide
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:50 pm
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:58 pm

....that the Dodgers were the Brooklyn Trolly Dodgers They were called that because of the trolly tracks throughout Brooklyn. You had to “Dodge” the trollies. The word trolly was dropped and of course Dodgers was born. And that’s right boys and girls, they were in a different city too.⚾️⚾️⚾️
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8213
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:18 pm

kookingkajun wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:58 pm
....that the Dodgers were the Brooklyn Trolly Dodgers They were called that because of the trolly tracks throughout Brooklyn. You had to “Dodge” the trollies. The word trolly was dropped and of course Dodgers was born. And that’s right boys and girls, they were in a different city too.⚾️⚾️⚾️
and the Dodgers were suppose to have the first "Domed Stadium"...when the land was not approved, they moved west
https://www.6sqft.com/a-buckminster-ful ... -brooklyn/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8213
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:14 am

"Remember The Titans"....of course U don't, U only know them as the NY Jets
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8213
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:03 am

ever heard of the "Braves"...not the ones in ATL but in Buffalo, NY...U now call them the L.A. Clippers, who used to be called the San Diego Clippers

https://buffalonews.com/2016/04/22/brav ... falo-left/
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6745
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:48 am

Dont forget that the Astros started as the Houston Colt.45s in 1962. Changed the name when the Astrodome was built.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
User avatar
RobertM320
Tsunami
Posts: 6745
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Destrehan, LA
Contact:
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:51 am

Texans? Not the ones in Houston, but the ones in Dallas? They played in the AFL for 3 seasons, before moving to Kansas City and becoming the Chiefs.
"ASK AND YE SHALL RECEIVE! HANG EM AND BANG EM! HANG EM AND BANG EM!"-- Todd Graffagnini
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8213
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:27 am

RobertM320 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:48 am
Dont forget that the Astros started as the Houston Colt.45s in 1962. Changed the name when the Astrodome was built.
have game programs and the autograph baseball from 1964 Red's, we stayed in the same hotel, Continental Houston on Main St, Houston TX...Pete Rose, Frank Robinson, Vada Pinson...had a sheet with all of the players and the room numbers, I knocked on every door
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8213
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:29 am

before "ruling' in Sacramento, the "Kings' ruled Kansas City
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1739
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:21 pm

golfnut69 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:29 am
before "ruling' in Sacramento, the "Kings' ruled Kansas City
Speaking of Kansas City, they also got the "Athletics" baseball team from Philadelphia, before losing them to Oakland.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Wild Pelican
Posts: 12802
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:28 pm

How about the Boston Braves.
High School Stadium Gets You High School Football
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1739
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:03 pm

Did Ya Know, that Chuck Connors ("The Rifleman") played for pro basketball (Rochester Royals and Boston Celtics), pro baseball Brooklyn Dodgers (1 game), the Chicago Cubs (66 games), and the Cubs minor league team Los Angeles Angels (two or three seasons). He may have tried out with the Chicago Bears, but there are conflicting stories about that. From the Angels, he got into introduced to Hollywood. Later, in 1966 he was the negotiator between the LA Dodgers and Sandy Koufax/Don Drysdale, when the two pitchers had their contract holdout. He led a fascinating life.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
User avatar
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE
Posts: 18074
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:56 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:45 pm

Did ya know on this day in 1899 inventor Issac R. Johnson patents the bicycle frame
Stadiums get old, winning never does.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8213
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:16 pm

before taking flight in Houston...the NBA Rockets were launched in San Diego
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
BC Wave
Surge
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:40 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:20 pm

And that the kingdom in Kansas City included Omaha
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8213
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:29 pm

BC Wave wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:20 pm
And that the kingdom in Kansas City included Omaha
was that a "crusade" or just a simple "annexation" ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
kookingkajun
Low Tide
Posts: 116
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:50 pm
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:09 pm

The Milwaukee Brewers first year they were the Seattle Pilots.
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8213
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:17 pm

kookingkajun wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:09 pm
The Milwaukee Brewers first year they were the Seattle Pilots.
the Pilots, Jim Bouton "Ball Four'
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8213
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:12 am

Did ya know the team now known as the NY Yankees started life in Baltimore !!!...the moved to NY for the 1903 season and were know by several "nicknames"......'Invaders" and 'Highlanders' are two of the better known, before being called the Yankees
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
User avatar
wave97
Swell
Posts: 1349
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:08 pm
Status: Offline

Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:47 am

golfnut69 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:17 pm
kookingkajun wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:09 pm
The Milwaukee Brewers first year they were the Seattle Pilots.
the Pilots, Jim Bouton "Ball Four'
You mean this Jim Bouton:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RA76b5Hhvxg
The greatest baseball documentary of all times.
DfromCT
Tsunami
Posts: 6516
Joined: Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:50 pm
Location: Stamford, CT
Status: Online

Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:59 am

Did you know....

Michael Jordan's "retirement" avoided a two year suspension from the NBA? I learned that from the NBA's former director of enforcement, and a longtime NBA executive. The NBA allowed him to retire for two years rather than the ugly publicity of a suspension due to gambling. Jordan, who won the NCAA 1982 title (as the only Frosh on the court) in the Superdome for Carolina, was betting on everything and anything. The NBA investigated after his father's death and didn't want to go public.

PS: My source on this was the GM of the KC-Omaha Kings. He later got fired for firing Bill Russell, whom the owner hired to coach the Kings behind his back. Russell was fired for no-show at his own practices a few times and an abysmal record.
" For every alum, no matter where they are...I want a football coach that's going to make Saturday something you anticipate and look forward to." --Troy Dannen

Thank you all for your support as my son Zach continues to beat leukemia
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8213
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:55 pm

DfromCT wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:59 am
Did you know....

Michael Jordan's "retirement" avoided a two year suspension from the NBA? I learned that from the NBA's former director of enforcement, and a longtime NBA executive. The NBA allowed him to retire for two years rather than the ugly publicity of a suspension due to gambling. Jordan, who won the NCAA 1982 title (as the only Frosh on the court) in the Superdome for Carolina, was betting on everything and anything. The NBA investigated after his father's death and didn't want to go public.

PS: My source on this was the GM of the KC-Omaha Kings. He later got fired for firing Bill Russell, whom the owner hired to coach the Kings behind his back. Russell was fired for no-show at his own practices a few times and an abysmal record.
D.....thanks for confirming the gambling rumors...interesting the minor league team he played for was aligned with the White Sox
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Swell
Posts: 1739
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:27 pm
Status: Offline

Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:47 pm

Did ya know.... that just minutes before Don Larsen walked out of the Yankees clubhouse to start warming up for Game 5 of the 1956 World Series (against the Brooklyn Dodgers), when he went on to pitch the only perfect game in World Series history, his wife telephoned him to tell him she was leaving him and filing for divorce--talk about concentration during a game. Larsen was a party animal, so maybe the call wasn't entirely unexpected. Ironically, 43 years later in 1999, Larsen attended and watched the first full baseball game since his retirement from baseball--it was Yogi Berra Day and Larsen threw out the first pitch to Yogi Berra, in commemoration of the 1956 Perfect Game--a couple hours later, at that same game, David Cone completed the second perfect game in Yankees history.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8213
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:39 pm

HoustonWave wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 1:47 pm
Did ya know.... that just minutes before Don Larsen walked out of the Yankees clubhouse to start warming up for Game 5 of the 1956 World Series (against the Brooklyn Dodgers), when he went on to pitch the only perfect game in World Series history, his wife telephoned him to tell him she was leaving him and filing for divorce--talk about concentration during a game. Larsen was a party animal, so maybe the call wasn't entirely unexpected. Ironically, 43 years later in 1999, Larsen attended and watched the first full baseball game since his retirement from baseball--it was Yogi Berra Day and Larsen threw out the first pitch to Yogi Berra, in commemoration of the 1956 Perfect Game--a couple hours later, at that same game, David Cone completed the second perfect game in Yankees history.
WOW !!! that was a great post...Thanks.. another FYI Don Larsen and David Wells both went to the same High School
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
golfnut69
Green Wave
Posts: 8213
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:38 am
Status: Offline

Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:43 pm

did ya know that "Washburn's Gold Medal Flakes" are now called "Wheaties"
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Post Reply