Rutgers 31 - Tulane 6

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Coaching against Rutgers is atrocious:

1. Tanner Lee is an immobile stiff. He needs to be benched, permanently

2. DeRoccio (sp) is a stiff, should be excused from the team.

3. Curtis Johnson is a stiff, he needs to be fired. Attempting a field goal with DeRoccio (sp) with
twelve seconds left. Should have tried for TD to allow DeRoccio(sp) to miss another extra point.

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote:Coaching against Rutgers is atrocious:

2. DeRoccio (sp) is a stiff, should be excused from the team.

3. Curtis Johnson is a stiff, he needs to be fired. Attempting a field goal with DeRoccio (sp) with
twelve seconds left. Should have tried for TD to allow DeRoccio(sp) to miss another extra point.
Pete....Pete....Pete....calm thyself .... we all know the following;

CJ is the 2nd coming of Knute Rockne, Bear Bryant, Woody Hayes, Eddie Robinson, Tony Dungy, Kevin Sumlin...a Saints Offensive wizard that no other can compare
The Price Bros are the next coming of the Harbaugh Brothers
The Kicking games is for only those teams that cannot score TD's...the Saint's O will certainly produce 6 points on a regular basis, so it is of zero importance to CJ
Tanner Lee is the next General Lee...no, not the Military General...the General Lee from Dukes of Hazard,
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Profoundwizard
Swell

nawlinspete wrote:Coaching against Rutgers is atrocious:

You got your wish today, how'd the backup look?
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

It doesn't matter. We have a cute new stadium and tailgating. Wins and losses don't matter.

And we still have RD. :roll:
Profoundwizard
Swell

The Scelfos also took over a program that had a lot of momentum and had just gone 12-0. CJ took over a complete dumpster fire.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Dr. Rosenrosen wrote:It doesn't matter. We have a cute new stadium and tailgating. Wins and losses don't matter.

And we still have RD. :roll:
I am thankful to have RD...when I go play golf in Pullman Washington, and I wear a Tulane visor...my beers are free !!!!!
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
MicMan
Swell

Better effort than a week ago. Had our chances, made some adjustments. Rutgers is a big physical team, which is why they ran 99% of their plays out of the I. A young team could have completely folded but didn't. Now a week off to heal, get some confidence, then come back at home vs. Uconn.
TURVS71
Swell

Watched the game at Rock n Bowl with my son and daughter. Very disappointed. This is a team that is flat, lacks discipline and motivation. All this can be directly attributed to coaching or should I say, lack of coaching. I am truly beginning to realize that Curtis Johnson is in over his head. Some people are meant to be leaders and some are meant to be support personnel. He is exhibiting NO leadership capabilities and perhaps is better suited for a support role. I wasn't expecting a great season but I certainly didn't expect to take this giant step backwards. As of now and in my opinion, this season is in the crapper. Again too many penalties, blown defensive and offensive assignments and miscues. Finally, Lorenzo Doss appears to be vastly overrated at his position as he was continually beat today and his decision making, at times, is very questionable.

Very, very disheartening and disappointing.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
JerseyWave
Riptide

I was at the game, here are my observations......

1. I know this part doesn't matter but Rutgers Stadium is much bigger than Yulman, however Yulman is a much better venue.

2. We didn't compete today. There was no fire even in the pregame. This team is DEAD!
3. Rutgers far out talented us today.
4. Our D-line can be good but they underperformed because they are poorly coached.
5. Fitts was standing on the sideline next to RD during the first half. I wish I could have gotten closer so he could hear me.
6. 2 out 5 games Tanner Lee got knocked out.
7. Penalties continue to kill us.
8. Other than Marley, our linebackers suck.
9. There no point in discussing CJs job status as long as RD is AD. It has to begin with the Athletic Director. We're stuck with CJ for now, so major changes have to be made on his staff.
10. If Picarelli or DiRocco are on scholarship, they shouldn't be!
winwave
Top of the WAVE

A 22,000 seat stadium and 3,200 seat arena says what Tulane thinks of D-1 athletics. Yes CJ and staff can't coach and should be fired. However w/the lack of facilities no one that could turn it around is coming. Its over. This shit is just utterly disgusting.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Jonathan
Riptide

You are right on target with your observations. Special teams (You cannot kick an extra point that every high school kicker can do) horrible defense with zero pressure on the QB for all our games to date,leading the nation in interceptions and penalties, zero protection of our QB by offensive line, the worst on field coaching that I have ever seen etc. Etc.
Eaglewave
Swell

Bring on Montana. Our scheme doesn't fit Powell because he must stay in the gun.
Ball Sumrall!
wavefan03
Surge

2 Positives:

While Lee was in Price mixed up the plays. We finally had a few screens and Lee threw the dinks and dunks.

Badie has great vision.

2 Negatives:

Our defensive backs and linebacker are atrocious. They've regressed with the loss of Strozier, Sulllen, and Batiste in the backfield and Robinson? (linebacker). We can't keep contain on anything to the outside for a run, they bit play action all day, our safeties give up the big play, etc. Our strength with defensive backs last year is this year's major weakness.

The lack of motivation on our road games is apparent. Even last year we would come out flat on the road. We settled down after the first quarter and played defense despite offense not moving the ball. Players decide to chop block when never coached to do so. Our oline is a penalty machine. You practice how you play. CJ needs to keep strict practices with uptempo groupings.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

Disgusting performance. Was watching with a Rutgers alum.

I don't see that Rutgers has more talent than Tulane, if only that they have more seasoning/age on the OL and DL. But once again, Tulane beats itself.

Badie remains by a wide margin the best RB, yet he still seems to be an auxilliary part of the gameplan. Offensive coaching sucks and gameplanning sucks and playcalling sucks. So many screen plays and draws, and they seem to take forever to set up.

After 4 games of letting Tanner Lee do too much, they let Tanner Lee do too little. I think he attempted one downfield throw in the 1st Q. Part of that was him getting hit, but I digress.

It seems like Trey Scott is one of the most targeted players on offense, and has yet to secure a single reception.

The guy I was watching with decided that Montana > Powell on his first play from scrimmage. Here's a guy who has never seen either and made that decision in <5 seconds. At no point in the past 18 months have I thought that Powell was anywhere near as good as Montana. What in the heck do our coaches see differently? If we had been able to maintain any offense in the second half, it might have been a competitive ballgame.

Is high school quality special teams too much to expect?

The team is unfathomably poorly coached, but these guys can recruit. Doesn't matter because Tulane doesn't care about winning, Rick Dickson is still in charge until he's good and ready to stop collecting those paychecks and we have Rick Dickson's golfing buddies at OC and QB coach also collecting paychecks. Their ability to keep collecting paychecks is more important than the success of Tulane athletics, so remember that when you suckers are writing your checks to Tulane University. Thankfully I can stop looking at flights/hotels to NOLA for Halloween and spend that money on something that won't make me angry.
Bigschtick
Riptide

MicMan wrote:Better effort than a week ago. Had our chances, made some adjustments. Rutgers is a big physical team, which is why they ran 99% of their plays out of the I. A young team could have completely folded but didn't. Now a week off to heal, get some confidence, then come back at home vs. Uconn.

Give us a break!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Bigschtick
Riptide

TURVS71 wrote:Watched the game at Rock n Bowl with my son and daughter. Very disappointed. This is a team that is flat, lacks discipline and motivation. All this can be directly attributed to coaching or should I say, lack of coaching. I am truly beginning to realize that Curtis Johnson is in over his head. Some people are meant to be leaders and some are meant to be support personnel. He is exhibiting NO leadership capabilities and perhaps is better suited for a support role. I wasn't expecting a great season but I certainly didn't expect to take this giant step backwards. As of now and in my opinion, this season is in the crapper. Again too many penalties, blown defensive and offensive assignments and miscues. Finally, Lorenzo Doss appears to be vastly overrated at his position as he was continually beat today and his decision making, at times, is very questionable.

Very, very disheartening and disappointing.

Thing is we are stuck with Johnson for years
just as we are stuck with Dickson. Anybody who thinks Fitts is a savior of Tulane
is dreaming. Cowen is pulling the strings and will never go away.
What a freaking disaster=Tulane Football. Think recruits aren't noticing the pathetic
coaching??
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
MicMan
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote: I don't see that Rutgers has more talent than Tulane, if only that they have more seasoning/age on the OL and DL.
And that's why you're on a forum and not on the sidelines.
DrBox
Riptide

MicMan wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: I don't see that Rutgers has more talent than Tulane, if only that they have more seasoning/age on the OL and DL.
They have more talent.
But they are also much better coached.
this is not a well-coached Tulane team.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

desperate times call for desperate measure...for the first time in years I am going to play the lottery tonite...If I win...all money to Tulane athletics under the following conditions;

RD is fired

CJ.... gone, I will place a call to my friend with the Chargers and see if I can get you hired there

the Price is wrong bros are gone...like now if not sooner

admissions will be set at the average of all ACC schools

Conroy....see ya
Dr. Rosenrosen
High Tide

RD is not going anywhere. He is doing victory laps with the new stadium.

The powers that be at Tulane clearly do not care about winning football.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Our pass rush last year was outstanding which led to many INT's and corners could gamble and get away with it. We no longer have Davenport and Warmsley up front. Look at the pressure Rutgers brought to our QB's. It was the difference in the game.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
51WaveBG
High Tide

I wish that TU football was not on TV any more this season. Their poor performances are getting embarrassing, especially in front of a national audience. What a sick, pathetic effort by an alleged football team today. We're back to being a national joke and there seems to be no relief from this fiasco in sight.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

MicMan wrote:
How pithy, yet sadly misguided.

Let's start at QB. Rutgers alums call Gary Nova "turn ova" and have been trying to replace him for years. We made him look like Joe Montana. I doubt there is a single coach in the country who believes Nova is more talented then Lee. Rutgers backup RBs (their starter tore his acl) are no better than Badie and Thompson. They were missing a number of other starters and when their backup safety (replacing the injured starter) went out with the targeting call, they were playing a walk on. I could go on.

Rutgers was better coached, period. As has been the case in every game this season.
Wavetime
Swell

I don't know if Rutgers had better talent or not. I do think their QB had better protection. Their offense was not vanilla. We had a vanilla offense so Tanner would make less mistakes. It worked in a way because we had no int's but we couldn't move the ball. I didn't expect them to throw the ball like that, but when you stuff the box and your QB has time, people will get open.

We did make some defensive adjustments for one of the few times this year that I have noticed.

Bottom line is that our team looked like we did against Syracuse and Duke. We were flat and maybe even intimidated. We were out coached. The only emotion I saw all day was when Doss got the pick.

Maybe we will do better in conference play when the talent level along the lines will drop off (except against ECU).
MicMan
Swell

jonathanjoseph wrote:
MicMan wrote:
jonathanjoseph wrote: I don't see that Rutgers has more talent than Tulane, if only that they have more seasoning/age on the OL and DL. /quote]

How pithy, yet sadly misguided.

Let's start at QB. Rutgers alums call Gary Nova "turn ova" and have been trying to replace him for years. We made him look like Joe Montana. I doubt there is a single coach in the country who believes Nova is more talented then Lee. Rutgers backup RBs (their starter tore his acl) are no better than Badie and Thompson. They were missing a number of other starters and when their backup safety (replacing the injured starter) went out with the targeting call, they were playing a walk on. I could go on.

Rutgers was better coached, period. As has been the case in every game this season.
By your own statement, "trying to replace him for years," you actually give credence to his talent. Yes, they looked so hard for a replacement that Nova became the Rutgers' career TD passing leader with 61. Just a miserable failure. Lee hasn't played. Nonsensical comparison.

We played a walk-on kicker who did a decent job with the kickoffs, so what? Walk-ons are part of the plan, with the schollie limits.

The coaching is what it is, but to think TU's talent level compares favorably to RU's...not by a longshot.