Ryan Grant

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
Jonathan
Riptide

I hope that they do well in the draft or sign as free agents. I would like to see both with the Saints.

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Grant goes #142 to the skins. Tulane player picked before any ut or uga player.
Eaglewave
Swell

Congratulations Ryan! Make us proud!
Ball Sumrall!
Jonathan
Riptide

What round and where was he projected to go? I see top of 5th round. Congrats Ryan!
capwave
High Tide

I think I read cbssports had him projected in 7th round.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

With the WR talent in this draft, he could have gone in the 5th (where he did) or a later round, or even undrafted. Congrats, Ryan.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

mbawavefan12 wrote:Tulane player picked before any ut or uga player.

And just think, he was recruited by a coach that most here say couldn't recruit.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

From The (Redskins) Insider:
NFL Draft: Washington adds WR Ryan Grant in fifth round
BY MIKE JONES
May 10 at 2:52 pm
Washington Redskins logoThe Redskins used the 142nd pick of the draft to select wide receiver Ryan Grant out of Tulane.
Grant doesn’t boast impressive size (6 feet, 199 pounds) or blazing speed (4.62 40-yard dash). But he is coming off two prolific seasons at Tulane, recording 77 catches for 1,039 yards and nine touchdowns in 2013 and 76 catches for 1,149 yards and six touchdowns in 2012.
Related: Redskins select CB Bashaud Breeland in fourth round
Grant had an impressive week at the Senior Bowl and displayed good route-running skills and good hands.
“My game, I’m consistent with it, man,” Grant said. “I’m a great route-runner, I’ve got great hands, quick in and out of my breaks and when the ball is in the air, I’m going to go out and contest the [cornerback] to get the ball.”
Grant said he still has work to do, however.
“I need to get stronger. I need to get stronger, need to work on running after the catch, just become a better player overall,” Grant said.
Washington already has Pierre Garcon, DeSean Jackson, Andre Roberts, Aldrick Robinson, Leonard Hankerson and David Gettis in the mix at wide receiver. But only Hankerson and Gettis stand taller than 6 feet, and Hankerson is coming off of surgery to repair a torn ACL.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Having one player drafted wont change the opinion that BT couldn't recruit.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Congrats Ryan. Best of luck at the next level.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Grant is a football player, very simply. Will b hard to replace, hopefully he has innfluenced the younger guys.
Jonathan
Riptide

Congrats again to Ryan. He could have gone much higher in the draft if he was larger and faster. But he has unbelievable hands?
DrBox
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:

And just think, he was recruited by a coach that most here say couldn't recruit.
The reality is that toledo's first two classes were atrocious, the third class was decent, and the last 2 classes were pretty good and he had a solid start on class 6 before fired. But even in the good classes, at least 1/3 were FCS level talent. He didn't have a strong staff overall and the team was not well coached.
Eaglewave
Swell

DrBox wrote:
DfromCT wrote:

The reality is that toledo's first two classes were atrocious, the third class was decent, and the last 2 classes were pretty good and he had a solid start on class 6 before fired. But even in the good classes, at least 1/3 were FCS level talent. He didn't have a strong staff overall and the team was not well coached.
+1

And Toledo would have went 4-8 with that easy 2013 schedule at best.
Ball Sumrall!
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

“He’s great hands catcher. He’s a good route runner. He can play inside and outside. We’re surprised that he was there. We had a little bit higher of a grade on him, obviously, and he was sitting there and we took him. We were impressed with him at the combine interview we had with him and his production at Tulane has been excellent, and like I said, his flexibility as far as where to line up. He knows the position. He knows the passing game concepts. He had a very sophisticated offense at Tulane and we feel like he’s going to come in and compete right away.”
Jonathan
Riptide

I think he is a great receiver. His plus is his great hands. His negative is his size and speed. Also there are great receivers already at Washington that he would have to best out to go into the season on the final roster.Tough assignment. Good luck to him!
OUG
Riptide

Couple of fairly knowledgeable radio hosts in DC (one of whom is a Skins beat reporter) said about Grant: "A lot like Andre Roberts, not as fast, but better hands. He's not a practice squad guy, because if you drop him from the 53-man, he'll get picked up. So he's probably competing with Aldrick Robinson for the last WR spot on the roster." These guys are very critical of the Skins draft, but not of the Grant pick in particular. More about why they picked a WR at all.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... er_default
ESPN.com's John Keim has covered Grant closely since Grant arrived in Washington. He wrote this piece on Grant's learning curve, saying Grant was making contributions on special teams but would need to continue developing his attention to detail.

in his rookie take on Grant, Keim wrote: "The Redskins like Grant because he offers some versatility, able to run routes from outside or inside. But his ability to break quickly and catch in traffic will give him a chance inside. He's not a big-play threat on the outside. But he is a savvy route runner against zone coverages, understanding where to settle. He's also competitive, which always helps."
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... er_default
ESPN.com's John Keim has covered Grant closely since Grant arrived in Washington. He wrote this piece on Grant's learning curve, saying Grant was making contributions on special teams but would need to continue developing his attention to detail.

in his rookie take on Grant, Keim wrote: "The Redskins like Grant because he offers some versatility, able to run routes from outside or inside. But his ability to break quickly and catch in traffic will give him a chance inside. He's not a big-play threat on the outside. But he is a savvy route runner against zone coverages, understanding where to settle. He's also competitive, which always helps."
Ryan Grant has definitely created a buzz around Redskins minicamp. Not much has been open to the media, but he's done enough to get noticed.

Also, does Tammy do any actual reporting? Or does she just copy and paste other reporting? Chris Davenport was cut by the Redskins on the first day, no idea what happened.
capwave
High Tide

@Rich_TandlerCSN: Ryan Grant run routes better than some WRs who have been in the NFL for years. That is all. #RedskinsTalk
This was tweeted by the redskins blogger for CSNWashington. That says a lot to me about what CJ taught him.
Wave QB
Swell

I am really looking forward to seeing him play in the preseason. I know we haven't seen it yet, but I am confident that CJ is going to have a very solid WR's corps very soon. Justin Shackleford, Xavier Rush, and Breaux should be ready for their close up this season if the offensive line can allow our QB to have time to make plays.
gibnived8
Ripple

Wave QB wrote:I am really looking forward to seeing him play in the preseason. I know we haven't seen it yet, but I am confident that CJ is going to have a very solid WR's corps very soon. Justin Shackleford, Xavier Rush, and Breaux should be ready for their close up this season if the offensive line can allow our QB to have time to make plays.
You come to Tulane as a Receiver and you learn something from what some said was the best Wr. coach in the NFL.

I feel the same way, if the o-line can give Lee/Powell time our receivers are going to do well this year.
Rush/Breaux big year I think, Shack excels also (only receiver to put up number besides RG)
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Keith Williams deserves some credit here. I get that people would be quick to credit CJ but at all the practices that have been open since CJ got here he hasn't been involved w/any group over the others. Just sayin
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
capwave
High Tide

winwave wrote:Keith Williams deserves some credit here. I get that people would be quick to credit CJ but at all the practices that have been open since CJ got here he hasn't been involved w/any group over the others. Just sayin
You are right, he does deserve a ton of credit for that. Apparently he is very well thought of, because the past 2 summers he has had NFL and potential NFL receivers down here to train under him.
gibnived8
Ripple

capwave wrote:
winwave wrote:Keith Williams deserves some credit here. I get that people would be quick to credit CJ but at all the practices that have been open since CJ got here he hasn't been involved w/any group over the others. Just sayin
You are right, he does deserve a ton of credit for that. Apparently he is very well thought of, because the past 2 summers he has had NFL and potential NFL receivers down here to train under him.
TRUE, he has a bunch of guys training with him and his son is a really good player also. So Shout Out to Coach Williams who's an Awesome WR Coach