U La La going to Big Twelve

LSU, UNO, Loyola, ULL, ULM, Louisiana Tech, Southeastern, Delgado, Northwestern, McNeese, Nicholls St., Southern, Grambling, Centenary, Dilliard, Xavier, etc.
Jonathan
Riptide

These people at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette UL-L are in another world. They believe on their fan forum Rajin Pagin with three pages of threads that their next stop is the Big Twelve. The are stuck in the lowly Sunbelt and CUSA does not want them which is now the Sunbelt 2. Also they like to call themselves the University of Louisiana even though their name is the University of Louisiana at Lafayette. Lastly they diloustionally call themselves the flagship university of the state which only LSU A&M is! Unbelieveable!

sader24
Tsunami

They won a bowl game in football, went to the NCAA Tourney in basketball, made it to a Super Regional in baseball, and the CWS in women's Softball all in the same year. They are doing something right.
wavemania
Surge

based on athletic achievements in the major sports, they are running circles around us. With the exception being women's basketball, as Pedro once said," sometimes you have to tip your cap and say who's your daddy."
trifling greenie
Ripple

I don't see why this is important to any Tulane fan. Let them do what they want.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

trifling greenie wrote:I don't see why this is important to any Tulane fan. Let them do what they want.
+1

U-LaLa can have whatever fantasies they want.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Jonathan
Riptide

By the way, the UL-L baseball coach Tony Robichaux who is been there over 20 years is only making a salary of $120,000 a year plus a $15,000 bonus for getting to a super regional as reported by their local newspaper recently. That is what Coach Pierce made approximately per year at Sam Houston State in the Southland Conference. Was not Rick Jones earning $500,000 per year when he was at the peak of his career pre 2008?
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Jonathan wrote:By the way, the UL-L baseball coach Tony Robichaux who is been there over 20 years is only making a salary of $120,000 a year plus a $15,000 bonus for getting to a super regional as reported by their local newspaper recently. That is what Coach Pierce made approximately per year at Sam Houston State in the Southland Conference. Was not Rick Jones earning $500,000 per year when he was at the peak of his career pre 2008?
http://blog.nola.com/tulanebeat/2008/04 ... wel_o.html
Tulane, a private university, isn't required to release salary information. But according to the Form 990 it must file with the Internal Revenue Service and lists its five highest-paid employees, Jones made $512,000 in 2006, a number that ranked fourth at the school and more than any other person in the athletic department.

Jones' number included a $250,000 retention bonus, making his base salary $262,000. The number didn't include any outside income he earned, such as money from camps. Still his salary dwarfs that of other Conference USA coaches, who fail to bring in earnings of at least $200,000, according to information obtained through public record searches and other news reports.

Rice Coach Wayne Graham, who led the Owls to a College World Series title, didn't have earnings that ranked in the top five at the school, a list that bottomed out at $383,234, according to the 2005 Form 990 obtained by The Times-Picayune, the most recent year it was available.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave QB
Swell

sader24 wrote:They won a bowl game in football, went to the NCAA Tourney in basketball, made it to a Super Regional in baseball, and the CWS in women's Softball all in the same year. They are doing something right.

You are right about that. They really upgraded the New Orleans Bowl as well. I miss beating up on the Cajuns and hate the fact that they are no longer a program to pencil in a win, but you have to give them credit. They want to be able to challenge LSU in athletics and their program is on the move.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

And this is on a Tulane fan forum because???
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
Profoundwizard
Swell

sader24 wrote:They won a bowl game in football, went to the NCAA Tourney in basketball, made it to a Super Regional in baseball, and the CWS in women's Softball all in the same year. They are doing something right.
All that and they can't get out of the sunbelt. Must be doing something wrong too.
sader24
Tsunami

Tiger droppings has different boards for all sorts of topics including Tulane Athletics believe it or not. Sometimes people want to discuss different things than Tulane with other Tulane fans. As for how it relates to us, at best only 1 team from Louisiana will eventually get into the Big 12 and ULL is our competition.
ccap05
Surge

UL-L has the same chance of getting into the Big XII as we have of winning the SEC Eastern Division this year. Delusional ULa-La fans euphoric after a really good athletic year are the only ones who are mentioning a future place in the Big XII for ULL. ULL is going to have a very hard time stepping up from the SBC to anywhere. LA Tech does not want them in CUSA (certainly not until they tone down the University of Louisiana "rebranding" BS) and CUSA does not need/want additional members to share a decreasing TV/Bowl pot. The AAC is not going to bring in a 2nd Tier school with a small market straight from the SBC. Additionally, Tulane does not want them in the AAC and I suspect Tulane has the pull to keep them out. The only way that UL-L could even move up to CUSA is if the Big XII (or ACC) pulls in two or more AAC schools giving rise to openings in CUSA as CUSA schools move into the AAC. The bigger point is that CUSA as it is now configured is not much better than the SBC. The Cajun's big rivals (ULM) are members of the SBC which is good for the long term development of that rivalry (as seen in a really great football game last year between ULM and ULL). To conclude, I wish UL-L the best but the reality is that they have no chance to get in to the Big XII and only a remote chance in the near future of even moving "up" to CUSA.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

sader24 wrote:Tiger droppings has different boards for all sorts of topics including Tulane Athletics believe it or not. Sometimes people want to discuss different things than Tulane with other Tulane fans. As for how it relates to us, at best only 1 team from Louisiana will eventually get into the Big 12 and ULL is our competition.
Agreed. I was thinking this topic was in The Huddle when I made my above post. Should I add another room for other in-state Louisiana athletic discussion, or is everyone happy with it being in The Rat???
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
ajcalhoun
Swell

NOLABigSteve wrote:Should I add another room for other in-state Louisiana athletic discussion?
I like that idea.
God Bless Everyone!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I just read the ESPN article where the Big 12 told BYU that they're not interested in expansion. BYU brings a whole lot more tradition, name recognition, and prestige to the table than U-La-La. I don't think we have to worry about U-La-La taking "our" spot in a P5 conference. Next time around we can only hope Tulane is in a much better position with wins on the fields and fans in the stands making us more attractive than we were during the last round, 2010-13. Let's face it Tulane was not attractive at that time.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

DfromCT wrote:I just read the ESPN article where the Big 12 told BYU that they're not interested in expansion. BYU brings a whole lot more tradition, name recognition, and prestige to the table than U-La-La. I don't think we have to worry about U-La-La taking "our" spot in a P5 conference. Next time around we can only hope Tulane is in a much better position with wins on the fields and fans in the stands making us more attractive than we were during the last round, 2010-13. Let's face it Tulane was not attractive at that time.
When DeLoss Dodds was AD @ Texas@Austin he was never going to allow BYU in the big 12 unless Texas and all other big 12 members could put their athletes on missions and have 24 year old QB's in place The NCAA needs to revoke the missions exemption for BYU and let them mission after graduating....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
lurker123
Swell

golfnut69 wrote:
DfromCT wrote:I just read the ESPN article where the Big 12 told BYU that they're not interested in expansion. BYU brings a whole lot more tradition, name recognition, and prestige to the table than U-La-La. I don't think we have to worry about U-La-La taking "our" spot in a P5 conference. Next time around we can only hope Tulane is in a much better position with wins on the fields and fans in the stands making us more attractive than we were during the last round, 2010-13. Let's face it Tulane was not attractive at that time.
When DeLoss Dodds was AD @ Texas@Austin he was never going to allow BYU in the big 12 unless Texas and all other big 12 members could put their athletes on missions and have 24 year old QB's in place The NCAA needs to revoke the missions exemption for BYU and let them mission after graduating....
Let's leave aside for another day a discussion about what NCAA should regulate and why. Let's simply focus on performance. If the mission angle gave BYU such a big advantage, why aren't they Top 10 every year? They won their one and only national championship in the early 80's.

I would argue that taking two years off from anything where you perform at an elite level (be it football, golf, violin playing, you name it) in your prime years of development does not help you nor the team. If it did, lots of those missionaries would be playing at other schools. Recruiters know where to find them.

I understand the "Men against Boys" argument but I sure don't see a consistent advantage on the field. Perhaps this says more about UT than BYU?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

lurker123 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Let's leave aside for another day a discussion about what NCAA should regulate and why. Let's simply focus on performance. If the mission angle gave BYU such a big advantage, why aren't they Top 10 every year? They won their one and only national championship in the early 80's.

I would argue that taking two years off from anything where you perform at an elite level (be it football, golf, violin playing, you name it) in your prime years of development does not help you nor the team. If it did, lots of those missionaries would be playing at other schools. Recruiters know where to find them.

I understand the "Men against Boys" argument but I sure don't see a consistent advantage on the field. Perhaps this says more about UT than BYU?
Why do you think the PAC 12 took UTAH and not BYU....the same reason...a kid leaves for two years comes back and red shirts he is now 22 or 23 been lifting weights for an xtra three years and U do not think that is an advantage over an 18 year old...even if it is only 10 to 15 players per year on the roster, that is still an advantage...Plus they have their own national TV network...I am sure that most schools in BCS conferences would like those advantages..
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !