Teddy Veal... Reinstated!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
trifling greenie
Ripple

OUG wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:one other question... what was she doing in HIS room... was she kicked out of the roommates room whom she wanted to have sex with? Lucy, somebody got one hell of a lot of 'splannin to do !
That's the thing -- It's a dorm. I don't think they have their own rooms, I think its a shared room. Which makes this stranger.
When I lived in Monroe we had a system. Usually something like a sock on the doorknob.

greenphantom
Swell

Hope justice prevails more than anything. If innocent, hope he can stick on the team.
Robert1969
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:Before you become so judgemental and convict him; remember he is presumed innocent prior and during trial. We have seen no facts in this case. Witness testimony or DNA etc.
No problem with presumption of innocence. But let's not act like typical sports fans who have knee-jerk response and blindly defend the guy because he's on "our team."

There's too much of that in the sports world. Too many athletes get away with BS because people would rather win a few games. Athletes are a privileged class (admittedly less so at Tulane), and far too often take advantage of that privilege to harass or abuse others while universities and communities turn a blind eye. This is how we got Penn State. It's how that situation at Ole Miss last year wound up being swept under the rug. It's how a girl at Notre Dame was bullied into committing suicide at Notre Dame when she came forward.

While Tulane fans rightly reject the so-called Tulane model of athletics, Tulane fans do like to bask in the glow of Tulane's purported sophistication. That means we have to have higher standards. While we shouldn't persecute the guy and presume guilt, we shouldn't persecute this young woman either and presume she fabricated a story of sexual assault.

Sexual assault is a real problem on too many college campuses, and it gets swept under the rug too often. It doesn't require the presence of a major athletic program either. Look at reports coming out of Dartmouth, for example. The federal government is finally putting pressure on colleges to address these concerns.

We need to take this issue seriously. If Veal is innocent I hope he is cleared in a manner that leaves no doubt. But if he is guilty, I hope his victim gets justice and and can look back at the treatment she got from the Tulane community, and Tulane fans knowing she was treated well, and respectful, and with the dignity that a rape survivor should receive.
OUG
Riptide

Robert1969 wrote:
Jonathan wrote:Before you become so judgemental and convict him; remember he is presumed innocent prior and during trial. We have seen no facts in this case. Witness testimony or DNA etc.
No problem with presumption of innocence. But let's not act like typical sports fans who have knee-jerk response and blindly defend the guy because he's on "our team."

There's too much of that in the sports world. Too many athletes get away with BS because people would rather win a few games. Athletes are a privileged class (admittedly less so at Tulane), and far too often take advantage of that privilege to harass or abuse others while universities and communities turn a blind eye. This is how we got Penn State. It's how that situation at Ole Miss last year wound up being swept under the rug. It's how a girl at Notre Dame was bullied into committing suicide at Notre Dame when she came forward.

While Tulane fans rightly reject the so-called Tulane model of athletics, Tulane fans do like to bask in the glow of Tulane's purported sophistication. That means we have to have higher standards. While we shouldn't persecute the guy and presume guilt, we shouldn't persecute this young woman either and presume she fabricated a story of sexual assault.

Sexual assault is a real problem on too many college campuses, and it gets swept under the rug too often. It doesn't require the presence of a major athletic program either. Look at reports coming out of Dartmouth, for example. The federal government is finally putting pressure on colleges to address these concerns.

We need to take this issue seriously. If Veal is innocent I hope he is cleared in a manner that leaves no doubt. But if he is guilty, I hope his victim gets justice and and can look back at the treatment she got from the Tulane community, and Tulane fans knowing she was treated well, and respectful, and with the dignity that a rape survivor should receive.
I think its more about having all the facts. In the Notre Dame case, for instance, you do not.

We definitely shouldn't attack the victim. But there's not a whole lot of evidence right now and she's made some very serious charges. That's a problem. You'd think the DA's office would be leaking some details, since an arrest has already been made.

There's an economic element to this too. The Duke Lacrosse kids were innocent, in the end. But a huge part of why the charges were dropped was because they were privileged and had great, aggressive legal representation. Not all these student athletes do (Veal is fortunate in this regard -- Boudreaux wasn't).
tnelly15
Riptide

Robert1969 wrote:
tpstulane wrote:Ch 4 just had a very positive report for this young man. I wouldn't be surprised if charges are refused.
His attorney said he was alone in his dorm room and the girl came into his room after a night of partying...
Being an honor student, an engineering major, and so forth doesn't mean he's innocent. The fact that she came to his room doesn't mean he didn't rape her. If he had sex with her without consent, and passed out women can't consent, then he's guilty of rape, and needs to serve time in prison.
Thanks for explaining to us what rape is.
Jonathan
Riptide

I think the defense should hire a private detective to do a thorough factual background check on this young woman to see if she has a history of lying,alcohol abuse, and check her morals and character. Also a police background check.
Last edited by Jonathan on Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert1969
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:I think the defense should hire a private detective to do a thorough factual background check on this young woman to see if she has a history of lying,alcohol abuse, and check her morals and character.
Immoral people get raped too.
OUG
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:I think the defense should hire a private detective to do a thorough factual background check on this young woman to see if she has a history of lying,alcohol abuse, and check her morals and character.
Yikes. This is a new low.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Jonathan wrote:I think the defense should hire a private detective to do a thorough factual background check on this young woman to see if she has a history of lying,alcohol abuse, and check her morals and character. Also a police background check.

You think?
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
AugWave
Swell

Bigschtick wrote:
Jonathan wrote:I think the defense should hire a private detective to do a thorough factual background check on this young woman to see if she has a history of lying,alcohol abuse, and check her morals and character. Also a police background check.

You think?
Lol
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
Jonathan
Riptide

I did not say you think. I suggested the defense counsel should think.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... commodores

No one is immune. Using these hot chicks to get recruits certainly corresponds to the NCAA's mission of producing great "student-athletes". This system is so sleazy.
OUG
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... commodores

No one is immune. Using these hot chicks to get recruits certainly corresponds to the NCAA's mission of producing great "student-athletes". This system is so sleazy.
Not a good look that Franklin paid her a visit after the reported incident. He may have thought he was doing the right thing because he felt a responsibility to her given her role in the ambassadors program, but it may be easy to portray his visit as a form of intimidation.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

OUG wrote:

Not a good look that Franklin paid her a visit after the reported incident. He may have thought he was doing the right thing because he felt a responsibility to her given her role in the ambassadors program, but it may be easy to portray his visit as a form of intimidation.
"Ambassadors program", that's a cute name for what they do.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I remember fondly the days when the University of Florida had the "Gator Getters" .. what a lovely group young ladies....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
wave97
Swell

Lost somewhere in the barren recesses of my tau protein laden frontal lobes I recall the "Wave Makers" from the Wally English era.
Jonathan
Riptide

When is the next scheduled court appearance on what issue?
Jonathan
Riptide

Anything new with the police,district attorney or his court case to report? I hope this is a false charge against him but let the facts speak to decide this case.
Robert1969
Riptide

But according to two sources close to the program, Veal is not guilty of the charges and all indications are that he will be cleared legally and should able to return to the program. But it's unclear how long the process will take.

"Nothing that has happened with him from the day it happened to now has changed—right now, he's still attending school, we are just waiting impatiently," Johnson said. "Whatever the legal system does, we are 100 percent behind. But we are just waiting like everyone else."

Veal likely won't be reporting Monday, though.

"I don't know when his thing is up, right now, I doubt (he will report with the rest of the team Monday) but whenever that thing gets cleared up, he'll be ready to be up. We're exciting about him. We like the kid, very nice kid, quiet, soft-spoken, but whenever that situation clears up, we'll be ready for him," Johnson said.
http://www.nola.com/tulane/index.ssf/20 ... cart_river
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I hope there's pressure from a number of sources upon the DA's office to get this cleared up ASAP. If he's truly innocent, it's a shame that it's hung over his head this long. Teddy shouldn't be punished if he didn't do anything wrong.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
greenphantom
Swell

Good news, assuming he truly is innocent. Hope it gets cleared up quick if so.
Jonathan
Riptide

I feel that he is allegedly being squeezed for money,will be cleared of all charges and return .
tgibson
Low Tide

Jonathan wrote:I feel that he is allegedly being squeezed for money,will be cleared of all charges and return .
Criminal charges have nothing to do with "squeezing" anyone for money.
wave to em
Surge

YAAAAAAAAS
CuJo.
#SickEmWave
LSU Law Greenie
Surge

tgibson wrote:
Jonathan wrote:I feel that he is allegedly being squeezed for money,will be cleared of all charges and return .
Criminal charges have nothing to do with "squeezing" anyone for money.
Criminal charges have a lot to do with squeezing for money. I did public defender work for 7 years and many many times the "victim" would have his family tell the defendants family that for a certain sum of $$$ the victim would drop the charges. It happens more than you think!
My name is T J Acosta and I approve this message!