Fire Ed Conroy!

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Quite a dilemma we have right now. Conroy should have been fired with last spring's exodus. He should be gone ASAP, but do we really want another CowDick selected basketball coach?

I really don't give a hoot about Fogelman's size, we can do way better with existing infrastructure. And going into the AAC, we need a big time coach that needs to re-establish himself. Pay him commensurate with other AAC coaches, and he'll come.

" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
wavedat
Swell

No need for pitchforks. All is well here. RD is in control. When he and SC leave all will remain well as they are clearly hand picking their successors. (Only someone w/their head planted firmly up their ass could miss that they are both picking the next pres. and AD. The board that SC totally controls is the same board making this choice. RD is creating a position so he can hang on to his job and just travel,come back w/no funds and yet still has his AK's who swear he's the greatest fundraiser ever).

You can say you don't care about the current infrastructure but future HC's and recruits do and they have spoken loudly on the subject.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
Show Me
Tsunami

It's a fair subject at this point. This is Conroy's fourth season and all that counts is wins and losses, especially in conference. He's not getting the job done. Is it lack of talent, lack of coaching or is it lack of seating as many here seem to believe is the biggest reason.
pearlriverwave
Ripple

time is now to make a change, other schools do it
Fred Dowler
Riptide

By year number four, if you're serious about bball at all, then if you're not even in the discussion as a possible entrant in the NCAA tournament then it's high time for a change.

But then, what do you have a hope to get in a new regime at the helm if it's obvious to one and all that you aren't serious at all about bball?
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
wavedat
Swell

Show Me wrote:It's a fair subject at this point. This is Conroy's fourth season and all that counts is wins and losses, especially in conference. He's not getting the job done. Is it lack of talent, lack of coaching or is it lack of seating as many here seem to believe is the biggest reason.

Playing in a HS gym prevents us from getting quality coaches and recruits hence the losing.
Tulane didn't have a stadium issue it had a program and facilities issues. To the new President- we want a new AD , a football facility and an IPF. We want top 25 programs in football and basketball the only two sports that count.
Show Me
Tsunami

wavedat wrote:
Show Me wrote:It's a fair subject at this point. This is Conroy's fourth season and all that counts is wins and losses, especially in conference. He's not getting the job done. Is it lack of talent, lack of coaching or is it lack of seating as many here seem to believe is the biggest reason.

Playing in a HS gym prevents us from getting quality coaches and recruits hence the losing.
Money comes first. The greater the pot the bigger and better the pool of candidates. Adding 3,000 seats won't get you a quality coach and recruits when you're paying $300-400K in salary.
JerseyWave
Riptide

No matter what, Conmanroy has to be fired! The current state the basketball program is intolerable. They can't possibly do any worse than Ed Conmanroy. Dickson will have to be fired soon after the new president assumes power. Everyone who has a vested interest in Tulane Athletics has to band together and convince the new President that Rick a Dickson is an utter failure and embarrassment to Tulane University.
JDTulane
Riptide

If he isnt fired the shitstorm I raised last year will pale in co parison to the one ill throw this time. Needs to go
tnelly15
Riptide

There is no dilemma here, he has to go.

And wavedat I think we all agree we need a better arena, but is Keith Pinckney not a quality recruit?
wavedat
Swell

Show Me wrote:
wavedat wrote:

Money comes first. The greater the pot the bigger and better the pool of candidates. Adding 3,000 seats won't get you a quality coach and recruits when you're paying $300-400K in salary.
Increasing the salary won't make much difference as long as Devlin is where we play. We might get the 4th choice instead of the 5th choice. Good coaches want to climb the ladder. When they see Devlin they see that this program is going nowhere. They see a coaching graveyard.
wavedat
Swell

tnelly15 wrote:There is no dilemma here, he has to go.

And wavedat I think we all agree we need a better arena, but is Keith Pinckney not a quality recruit?
nelly as you know there are always exceptions to the rule. He hopefully will be one like Stark is. But we won't get them in sufficient quantity to really make significant progress. As to the arena unfortunately it's clear we have many that think we can still resurrect the program in the gym.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wave leads North Texas by 13 pts on the road 3 min to play. 68-55. Maybe we turn things around, who knows?
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Tulane92
Ripple

I wish we knew for sure, how much Devlin could be expanded. It really is a great place to watch a game when Tulane is good and the place is packed. One of my favorite Tulane memories was camping out in front of then Fogelman arena for tickets to the Memphis State game. Winning that game was the most fun Tulane athletic event I can remember. Back in the Perry Clark days, I remember Dick Vitale comparing the atmosphere favorably to Cameron Indoor Stadium. A new building just wouldn't hold the same nostalgia for me. On the other hand, I have been to a few games the last few years, and it really sucks now. Sad to see the depths Tulane basketball has fallen. Also hoping for a new coach and better scheduling. Things are pretty embarrassing right now.
swampnik
Surge

Dick Vitale also said that basket to basket, Pointer Williams was the fastest guard in USA!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
exflash
High Tide

wavedat wrote:

nelly as you know there are always exceptions to the rule. He hopefully will be one like Stark is. But we won't get them in sufficient quantity to really make significant progress. As to the arena unfortunately it's clear we have many that think we can still resurrect the program in the gym.
----AS the Cajuns try to return to greatness in basketball, we really got a boost as it was announced a $15 million re-do of the Cajun Dome that will make it more b-ball friendly and actually add more seating to about 12K---It will have club luxury areas and more surrounding bowl seats on both basket ends---BTW the increased seating to 40K of Cajun Field should start in a couple of weeks!!! We need to play H and H in all sports as members of the AAC!!! Makes too much sense and will bring in $$$$$ !!!
Jonathan
Riptide

I do not see ULL having the cash other than the nominal first phase 5m improvements to your football stadium. The state legislature has been cutting state support to Louisiana universities including ULL for many years causing the loss of top professors,larger classes and plant deterioration. ULL should concentrate on their academics and moving from a Tier 2 academic institution to a Tier 1 like La. Tech and LSU A&M. You should add to your athletic physical plant like your football stadium and the Cajundome, but not mortgage your university's future by taking out loans and bonds. Solicit cash donation from alumni and supporters has Tulane has done for its new 73m football stadium under construction.Also you need to get out of the Sunbelt Conference ; it is severely hurting you in recruiting and in income produced from the Sunbelt like TV revenues of $40,000 per school versus millions per year in other conferences. A large increase in your annual athletic budget drastically over your 17m a year would help. Just my thoughts and opinion.
Wavetime
Swell

This is worse than last year. If, and that's a HUGE IF!!! Dickson stays and he doesn't change coaches then he'll be gone.

The only saving grace would be if we offer an extension because Cowen is still here and that's his boy.
OUG
Riptide

exflash wrote:
wavedat wrote:

----AS the Cajuns try to return to greatness in basketball, we really got a boost as it was announced a $15 million re-do of the Cajun Dome that will make it more b-ball friendly and actually add more seating to about 12K---It will have club luxury areas and more surrounding bowl seats on both basket ends---BTW the increased seating to 40K of Cajun Field should start in a couple of weeks!!! We need to play H and H in all sports as members of the AAC!!! Makes too much sense and will bring in $$$$$ !!!
Stop trolling dude. This is not a thread about USL.
Jonathan
Riptide

Fire Conroy. Will not happen until we get a pragmatic sane new AD. When will our new President be announced? Any sports history with him? Please do not renew Conroys contract. He is a big time loser and adds to Ricks great hires such as Buffet Bob etc etc.
RobertM320
Green Wave

exflash wrote:
wavedat wrote:

ex-flash, you mean this greatness?

University of Southwestern Louisiana basketball, 1973[edit]

Southwestern Louisiana was found guilty of more than 125 violations in August 1973. Most of them involved small cash payments to players, letting players borrow coaches' and boosters' cars, letting players use university credit cards to buy gas and buying clothes and other objects for players. However, the most severe violations involved massive academic fraud. In the most egregious case, an assistant coach altered a recruit's high school transcript and forged the principal's signature. Several boosters arranged for surrogates to take college entrance exams for prospective recruits. The NCAA responded by scrubbing the Ragin' Cajuns' 1972 and 1973 NCAA Tournament appearances from the books and canceling the 1973-74 and 1974-75 seasons.[11][12] To date, this is the only multi-season cancellation ever handed down to a Division I member. The NCAA Council found the violations to be so egregious that it recommended throwing Southwestern Louisiana out of the NCAA altogether, but the convention opted to strip the school of voting privileges until 1977.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
lurker123
Swell

RobertM320 wrote:
exflash wrote:
wavedat wrote:

Southwestern Louisiana was found guilty of more than 125 violations in August 1973. Most of them involved small cash payments to players, letting players borrow coaches' and boosters' cars, letting players use university credit cards to buy gas and buying clothes and other objects for players. However, the most severe violations involved massive academic fraud. In the most egregious case, an assistant coach altered a recruit's high school transcript and forged the principal's signature. Several boosters arranged for surrogates to take college entrance exams for prospective recruits. The NCAA responded by scrubbing the Ragin' Cajuns' 1972 and 1973 NCAA Tournament appearances from the books and canceling the 1973-74 and 1974-75 seasons.[11][12] To date, this is the only multi-season cancellation ever handed down to a Division I member. The NCAA Council found the violations to be so egregious that it recommended throwing Southwestern Louisiana out of the NCAA altogether, but the convention opted to strip the school of voting privileges until 1977.

Well that was a hard time for USL. However if there were ever a glass house, it's Tulane with Hot Rod, the shoe box of cash, throwing games and other athletes having massive legal troubles. I never remind any other school that they've stepped in it too.

Would ULL be a good regular opponent? Sure. Rice looks good on paper also but ULL dwarfs their live body fan support. However I would prefer USM for regular OOC H&H and then schedule LSU if and when they wake up and understand their first and closest geographical rival is still (potentially) their best. I'm not holding my breath. This may not (re)occur until 2035 or later.
RobertM320
Green Wave

ULL dwarfs their live body fan support because they're a regional public school, they're winning right now and they never travel more than a couple hours from home. Let them win 2-3 games for a few years and see how many fans would travel to a game at UTEP or at South Alabama even. My guess is, not many, just like most schools.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

lurker123 wrote:
RobertM320 wrote:
exflash wrote:
wavedat wrote:

Well that was a hard time for USL. However if there were ever a glass house, it's Tulane with Hot Rod, the shoe box of cash, throwing games and other athletes having massive legal troubles. I never remind any other school that they've stepped in it too.

Would ULL be a good regular opponent? Sure. Rice looks good on paper also but ULL dwarfs their live body fan support. However I would prefer USM for regular OOC H&H and then schedule LSU if and when they wake up and understand their first and closest geographical rival is still (potentially) their best. I'm not holding my breath. This may not (re)occur until 2035 or later.

Then again, I don't go onto other teams fansites and talk about the past greatness of Tulane sports, either.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

PLEASE, FIRE HIM TODAY.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V