Vote on the worst Tulane AD in the last 50 or so years.

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.

The worst Tulane AD in the last 50 years

Rix Yard 1963-76 ("Angry Wave" logo & left the SEC)
21%
Hindman Wall 1976-1985 (Defeated LSU in football 3 times)
5%
Mac Brown 1985-87 (hired himself Independence Bowl)
3%
Chet Gladchuk 1987-1990 (hired Perry Clark)
No votes
Kevin White 1990-1996 (hired Rick Jones and Lisa Stockton)
No votes
Sandy Barbour 1996-1999 (12-0 & hired Tommy Bowden)
3%
Rick Dickson 1999-Present (Failure with hiring head coaches)
69%

Total votes: 78
Fred Dowler
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:
Fat Harry wrote:I still think Barbour is the worst, simply because she wasted all the good will of the Bowden era by hiring Scelfo.
Sandy fired Buddy Teevens and hired Tommy Bowden, when Bowden left she gave the job to RR, Cowen overruled her and hired Scelfo and pushed Sandy out a short time later and hired Rick Dickson.
At the time, I seem to recall, there seemed to be a good deal of animus among Tulane people toward Barbour and I have understood exactly why.

Tulane seemed to be doing pretty well in several different sports in the late 1990's. She may or may not have been the direct cause of that successs but, still, it happened and you can't say nearly so much that about the past 14 years.

Plus, she's gone on to bigger and better positions and presided over seemingly pretty decent and solidly performing programs at other places.

And if you're going to make a change of athletics directors (or coaches, for that matter) and you don't bring in someone better, achieve better results as a result of having made the change, then it was not a worthwhile action to have made the change.

And this was one of the first major actions that Cowen undertook in his tenure as school president (and I distinctly remember hearing lots of people saying "wow Cowen went out and hired someone from a school in a major conference. He must be serious about winning.").

Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

She hired RR. Sam Scelfo then spent the night convincing SC to hire CS b/c he would stay. She got overruled by the big fat dumbass himself. Don't ever buy anything from Gambino's.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
wavefan03
Surge

Barbour was fired because she couldn't raise funds???

Our two athletic directors of the 90's are now two of the most powerful AD's in college sports.
Dave breslin
Swell

The vote is in. And the winner is a weiner---The Dick !!!
sader24
Tsunami

Aka the "Cow/Dick".
JDTulane
Riptide

fwiw Barbour was let go from UCLA so no longer is she a super powerful AD. But god love her.
Jonathan
Riptide

Chet And Kevin White were the best ADs in last thirty year. The worst were Rick Dickson and Sandy.
AugWave
Swell

Hhhmmm.. all but one seem to focus only on the positives from that era. What about the negatives?
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
sader24
Tsunami

Fair enough, what were some of the negatives? The positives were a basketball team that went to 3 NIT's and 1 NCAA from 94-98, a baseball program that was on its way up with a couple of NCAA Appearances and a football team with back to back winning seasons, a bowl win, an undefeated season, and the best offensive mind in the country begging for the Head Coaching job. The negatives were that I can recall a basketball program that should've been in the TOp 10 but consistently was inconsistent on the court. Attendance at football games had tripled and was on its way up. A competent administration would have kept the football program heading in the right direction, allowed Rick Jones to keep the baseball program ascending (which happened) and not only made the correct hire when Perry's time had come, but supported that coach with same support Perry received in his time. Building blocks were firmly in place with the New Orleans Arena coming into play and with positive momentum in baseball and football to build a Top 25 Athletic Department that had Top 25 programs in the 3 major sports. This was also at a time when LSU football had fallen towards the end of DiNardo's tenure and Skip Bertman's tenure was nearing an end at LSU. Had the right President and right Athletic Director been in charge from 1998 going forward I have zero doubt that Tulane would be in the ACC or Big 12 right now and would be a Stanford type Athletic Program.
AugWave
Swell

Cool. Just wanted to know because I don't know a damn thing about the past AD's..
I don't yell. I don't scream. I don't argue. I just hit 'em over the head with a bottle.
JDTulane
Riptide

Sadly:
I have zero doubt that Tulane would be in the ACC or Big 12 right now and would be a Stanford type Athletic Program.
The truth. My bet is Big 12
sader24
Tsunami

I think Cowen is more at fault than Dickson, but at some point you are who you work for.
sader24
Tsunami

JDTulane wrote:Sadly:
I have zero doubt that Tulane would be in the ACC or Big 12 right now and would be a Stanford type Athletic Program.
The truth. My bet is Big 12

Maybe, I actually believe we would've gotten into the ACC before Katrina. Academics and Basketball would have pushed us in that direction plus we would have fit in well with Miami, Ga.Tech, Wake, Duke, etc. Either way we wouldn't be where we are.
wavefan03
Surge

JDTulane wrote:fwiw Barbour was let go from UCLA so no longer is she a super powerful AD. But god love her.
Wrong.

http://www.calbears.com/genrel/barbour_sandy00.html

Peter Dalis was UCLA athletics director for 20 years and retired in 2002. Dan Guerrero was his replacement and is current AD.

Barbour has been AD for Cal Berkeley since 2004. Cal has consistently ranked as one of the top 10 athletics programs during her tenure according to the Directors Cup.

Before Cal she was Deputy AD at Notre Dame since 2000 under Kevin White.

Barbour is an elite AD. Her predecessor Kevin White is an elite AD. His predecessor Chet Gladchuck is a successful AD. All have won prestigious awards in their current AD positions.

Who are the retards on the TU board that allowed these persons to leave???
wavefan03
Surge

sader24 wrote:Fair enough, what were some of the negatives? The positives were a basketball team that went to 3 NIT's and 1 NCAA from 94-98, a baseball program that was on its way up with a couple of NCAA Appearances and a football team with back to back winning seasons, a bowl win, an undefeated season, and the best offensive mind in the country begging for the Head Coaching job. The negatives were that I can recall a basketball program that should've been in the TOp 10 but consistently was inconsistent on the court. Attendance at football games had tripled and was on its way up. A competent administration would have kept the football program heading in the right direction, allowed Rick Jones to keep the baseball program ascending (which happened) and not only made the correct hire when Perry's time had come, but supported that coach with same support Perry received in his time. Building blocks were firmly in place with the New Orleans Arena coming into play and with positive momentum in baseball and football to build a Top 25 Athletic Department that had Top 25 programs in the 3 major sports. This was also at a time when LSU football had fallen towards the end of DiNardo's tenure and Skip Bertman's tenure was nearing an end at LSU. Had the right President and right Athletic Director been in charge from 1998 going forward I have zero doubt that Tulane would be in the ACC or Big 12 right now and would be a Stanford type Athletic Program.
I agree.
ExileWave
Surge

JDTulane wrote:fwiw Barbour was let go from UCLA so no longer is she a super powerful AD. But god love her.
Sandy went to Notre Dame from Tulane ( I believe with Kevin White) , She is and has been AD at Cal Berkeley since 2004. Never has been at UCLA since her Tulane stint.

And tps is correct- she was hiring RR and Cowen overruled her for Scelfo- remember RR came to work that day in his green blazer- only to be humiliated by SC.
JDTulane
Riptide

ExileWave wrote:
Sandy went to Notre Dame from Tulane ( I believe with Kevin White) , She is and has been AD at Cal Berkeley since 2004. Never has been at UCLA since her Tulane stint.

And tps is correct- she was hiring RR and Cowen overruled her for Scelfo- remember RR came to work that day in his green blazer- only to be humiliated by SC.
Whoops, I put the wrong California school. And I thought she left in 2010. I'm wrong in 19 different ways!
wavefan03
Surge

winwave wrote:She hired RR. Sam Scelfo then spent the night convincing SC to hire CS b/c he would stay. She got overruled by the big fat dumbass himself. Don't ever buy anything from Gambino's.
According to another thread on here RR met with Cowen, then Barbour told RR meeting went well and prepare for Monday press conference. That was on a Friday.

Over that weekend Cowen suddenly changed his mind.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Went down the way I said. At least that's what Sandy told me.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:She hired RR. Sam Scelfo then spent the night convincing SC to hire CS b/c he would stay. She got overruled by the big fat dumbass himself. Don't ever buy anything from Gambino's.
Had SC let Sandy hire RR and we continue on our path of winning and RR leaves after two seasons then at that point we hire Frank Scelfo and make Chris S his top assistant. We could be in the Big 12 today.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
ajcalhoun
Swell

I voted Hindman Wall.

He fired the guy that beat LSU two years in a row and hired Wally English, who then proceeded to sue the NCAA in order to let his son play QB. That son played instead of Bubby Brister, who cost our boosters $40,000 in hard-earned cash and later went on to play in the NFL.

It was also under Wall's watch that word gets on Ned Fowler delivering $25,000 to Hot Rod Williams, leading to the MBB proram getting whacked.

Y'all either have short memories or some f**ked up priorities.
God Bless Everyone!
sader24
Tsunami

I was 2 years old when that happened and 6 months old when Gibson was fired. It's hard for me to remember all the circumstances that surrounded those scandals when I couldn't even walk at the time.
ajcalhoun
Swell

sader24 wrote:I was 2 years old when that happened and 6 months old when Gibson was fired. It's hard for me to remember all the circumstances that surrounded those scandals when I couldn't even walk at the time.
OK, that's fine. Either you have short memories, f**ked up priorities, or so little knowledge of the history of Tulane athletics that you are unqualified to participate in this discussion.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote:
It was also under Wall's watch that word gets on Ned Fowler delivering $25,000 to Hot Rod Williams, leading to the MBB proram getting whacked.

Y'all either have short memories or some f**ked up priorities.
AJ, It was $10,000 not $25,000. The word was Hot Rod's trailer home burned to the ground and his family lost everything and was homeless. Never proved though. And no one was ever convicted in the players point shaving scandel. Wall and Fowler had Zero knowledge of a few kids on the team doing that. The Wally English era was a disaster though.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
sader24
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote:
sader24 wrote:I was 2 years old when that happened and 6 months old when Gibson was fired. It's hard for me to remember all the circumstances that surrounded those scandals when I couldn't even walk at the time.
OK, that's fine. Either you have short memories, f**ked up priorities, or so little knowledge of the history of Tulane athletics that you are unqualified to participate in this discussion.

Well my Dad tutored "Hot Rod" when he was at Tulane, said he couldnt read. Vince Gibson has eaten at my house and was at my Dad's funeral, and I currently have Ned Fowler's entire basketball playbook from Tulane sitting on the sofa next to me as I type this. I'm aware of Tulane History, I'm aware of Hindman Wall's tenure and I still think Dickson is on a level by himself b/c he's been here for 15 years and scandal or no scandal for the last 15 years we've become less and less relevant to the point that outside of Ed Daniels, local news outlets don't even cover us.