Tulane pitching blows up again,UNO wins Game 2 15-10

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

express wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:10 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:59 am Not coaches’ fault, we have a pitching coach as HC and a good pitching coach in Latham.
Due to scholarship limitations and cost of tuition, Tulane will never have pitching depth. Can’t supplement the schollie guys with walk ons to develop so when schollie guys don’t work out they are doomed to avg to below avg pitching staff. Good schollie guys’ parents also don’t want to pay for remainder of tuition because noonebon full schollie.
Actually HC was a recruiter at Vandy (and our current recruiter was a JC coach in WA). And we dismissed 3 scholarship pitchers this fall (all out of state kids) but kept 2 in-state walk-ons that throw in the low 80's. We also have a roster spot being taken by a local player with 2 AB's in a career but family funds athletic dept. So the question begs - is this a Tulane thing (giving away roster spots) or a HC/Recruiting Coordinator thing (trouble building a roster) . Building great college teams is a product of recognizing talent (recruiting), developing players (coaching) and putting players in a position to be successful. Outside of great hitting, and the Friday starter we are not seeing that.
My guess would be a tuition/money thing caused the roster spot shake ups.

Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Profoundwizard
Swell

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:54 pm
Jaxwave wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:59 am Not coaches’ fault, we have a pitching coach as HC and a good pitching coach in Latham.
Due to scholarship limitations and cost of tuition, Tulane will never have pitching depth. Can’t supplement the schollie guys with walk ons to develop so when schollie guys don’t work out they are doomed to avg to below avg pitching staff. Good schollie guys’ parents also don’t want to pay for remainder of tuition because noonebon full schollie.
Actually HC was a recruiter at Vandy (and our current recruiter was a JC coach in WA). And we dismissed 3 scholarship pitchers this fall (all out of state kids) but kept 2 in-state walk-ons that throw in the low 80's. We also have a roster spot being taken by a local player with 2 AB's in a career but family funds athletic dept. So the question begs - is this a Tulane thing (giving away roster spots) or a HC/Recruiting Coordinator thing (trouble building a roster) . Building great college teams is a product of recognizing talent (recruiting), developing players (coaching) and putting players in a position to be successful. Outside of great hitting, and the Friday starter we are not seeing that.
My guess would be a tuition/money thing caused the roster spot shake ups.
Only 27 players on the 35 man roster can be on scholarship. I’m sure that’s the reason some of those new pitchers like JC Ariza were cut in the fall.
Profoundwizard
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:28 pm
I’d imagine Massey has a large scholarship.
They reduced Solesky’s scholarship after his freshman season. They may have done the same to Massey by now.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Jaxwave has a habit of absolving coaches of any and all blame because things are tougher on an expensive private school. It’s infuriating, until 2017 we rarely had problems with pitching.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Profoundwizard wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:47 am Jaxwave has a habit of absolving coaches of any and all blame because things are tougher on an expensive private school. It’s infuriating, until 2017 we rarely had problems with pitching.
Coaches can’t be fully absolved but to Jax’s defense you do have less margin for error at a high dollar private like Tulane.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:38 am
Profoundwizard wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:47 am Jaxwave has a habit of absolving coaches of any and all blame because things are tougher on an expensive private school. It’s infuriating, until 2017 we rarely had problems with pitching.
Coaches can’t be fully absolved but to Jax’s defense you do have less margin for error at a high dollar private like Tulane.
High Dolla' or Over Priced ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:58 am
tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:38 am ... you do have less margin for error at a high dollar private like Tulane.
The answer to that question is determined by whether or not you are a graduate of Tulane.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:31 am
tpstulane wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:38 am ... you do have less margin for error at a high dollar private like Tulane.
The answer to that question is determined by whether or not you are a graduate of Tulane.
going forward everything is going to be Free...so I vote, over priced
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
express
Ripple

Michigan, Duke, UVA, Wake, Stanford, Cal , St. John's, Rice, etc. all deal with the same tuition issue. Need to do a better job landing the bright kids who pitch well. Pitchers tend to be high GPA kids anyway in HS so this should not be that hard. Also, can't have a HC telling a local paper "I probably got caught up with the FB velo thing and didn't give said player (a soph doing well the last few games) a fair shake last year" . This was a published comment when talking about one of our pitchers. Goes right to the coaching staff's assessment ability.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I know a lot of people that pitched at eh college level. Most were not high GPA guys. I have no idea where you came up with that thought.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

express wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:22 pm
Michigan, Duke, UVA, Wake, Stanford, Cal , St. John's, Rice, etc. all deal with the same tuition issue. Need to do a better job landing the bright kids who pitch well. Pitchers tend to be high GPA kids anyway in HS so this should not be that hard. Also, can't have a HC telling a local paper "I probably got caught up with the FB velo thing and didn't give said player (a soph doing well the last few games) a fair shake last year" . This was a published comment when talking about one of our pitchers. Goes right to the coaching staff's assessment ability.
I don't want to be net picky, but Michigan, UVA, and Cal do not face the same tuition issues we have with our athletes since they are all public universities.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

GreenPuddleSplash wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:56 pm
I don't want to be net picky, but Michigan, UVA, and Cal do not face the same tuition issues we have with our athletes since they are all public universities.
And Stanford and Rice have 100% need based aid at much higher income threshold so baseball scholarships can saved for out of state kids.
Tulane Class of 1981
Wave755
Tsunami

:shakingno: And, did you notice UNO lost tonight to Missouri State, 8 to 3?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:43 pm :shakingno: And, did you notice UNO lost tonight to Missouri State, 8 to 3?
If the game was in Springfeld, did they get to vist the original "Bass Pro" and then make a quick trip to Branson ?
Profoundwizard
Swell

We all know the challenges. It’s not enough to even remotely excuse the performance on the pitchers mound from 2017 until now.
swampnik
Surge

golfnut69 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:51 am
GreenLantern wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:31 am
going forward everything is going to be Free...so I vote, over priced

Feel the Bern!
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

let's settle this pitching krap once and for all....It ain't da Pitchers, it's the damn Umpires
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Michigan and UVA are state schools, what is you're point bringing them into the conversation? They don't have nearly the tuition issues Tulane does. St. Johns is a fraction of the cost of Tulane. You blew your argument up by citing the wrong programs.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V