LSU leads the whole lotta cheatin' goin on Alleva out

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:01 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:45 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:42 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:29 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:49 pm Wade and LSU may be in hot water for recruiting violations, but nobody is going to pay bribes to get into LSU.

In regards to the bribe-for-admittance scandal, how can these non-revenue sports coaches get these bogus kids into USC, Stanford, Texas and Yale? Don’t these schools have a centralized admittance process? Or is each coach given an a number of admittance slots that they can sell?
if there is a student body "quota' percentage, the team sports are exempt from that mandate
The athletic teams may be exempt from any quota systems, but how do minor sports get kids into the universities—especially wealthy offspring of movie stars, politicians, executives, etc, who don’t even want to be there.
the answer is simple...the Coach gets paid off....the kid is admitted, then has an "injury", unable to compete, but still gets to stay in school.....since they are "injured" the coach can then go and recruit another kid since they do not count against the schollie limit....as Sonny and Cher once sang..."The beat goes on"
But how does the “paid” coach get an academically unqualified student past the admissions process? The scandal brings into question the entire admissions process of the universities involved. I guess if the bogus athlete meets NCAA minimums, they’re in. Does Tulane accept the NCAA minimums for all the non-revenue sports? Given we supposedly only recently ended the disastrous “Tulane Model” for our major revenue sports, I presumed that our academic requirements for the non-revenue sports were well above NCAA minimums—perhaps not.
who said they were academically unqualified...they were unqualified under the quota system, not the academic system.......besides, U don't really think someone in admissions is going to tell a caoch who is a player who ain't, do u ?.....As I understand, those who have been admitted, are doing the academic work with zero issues.....

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:40 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:01 am
golfnut69 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:45 am
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:42 pm
golfnut69 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:29 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:49 pm Wade and LSU may be in hot water for recruiting violations, but nobody is going to pay bribes to get into LSU.

In regards to the bribe-for-admittance scandal, how can these non-revenue sports coaches get these bogus kids into USC, Stanford, Texas and Yale? Don’t these schools have a centralized admittance process? Or is each coach given an a number of admittance slots that they can sell?
if there is a student body "quota' percentage, the team sports are exempt from that mandate
The athletic teams may be exempt from any quota systems, but how do minor sports get kids into the universities—especially wealthy offspring of movie stars, politicians, executives, etc, who don’t even want to be there.
the answer is simple...the Coach gets paid off....the kid is admitted, then has an "injury", unable to compete, but still gets to stay in school.....since they are "injured" the coach can then go and recruit another kid since they do not count against the schollie limit....as Sonny and Cher once sang..."The beat goes on"
But how does the “paid” coach get an academically unqualified student past the admissions process? The scandal brings into question the entire admissions process of the universities involved. I guess if the bogus athlete meets NCAA minimums, they’re in. Does Tulane accept the NCAA minimums for all the non-revenue sports? Given we supposedly only recently ended the disastrous “Tulane Model” for our major revenue sports, I presumed that our academic requirements for the non-revenue sports were well above NCAA minimums—perhaps not.
who said they were academically unqualified...they were unqualified under the quota system, not the academic system.......besides, U don't really think someone in admissions is going to tell a caoch who is a player who ain't, do u ?.....As I understand, those who have been admitted, are doing the academic work with zero issues.....
Several of the outed parties did not have the grades or test scores to get into the named schools. They got into the "side door" thanks to the bribed minor-sport coaches--and an admissions process that has a hole in it. Just because the bogus students have been able to stay in school, thus far, doesn't change the fact that other better qualified applicants were denied admissions. It's also worth noting that at some Ivies, Harvard in particular, the graduation rate exceeds 90% suggesting that once you're in you will graduate. I don't know what Tulane's graduation rate is now, but back in the day, the 2-year foreign language and N.O. social distractions took a heavy toll on that stat.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
nawlinspete
Riptide

Why has LSU not fired this scumbag ?

There is no way the FBI tapes can be interpreted as anything other than a bribe with an unsolicited admission that wade has paid other bribes in the past with other "more talented" than Smart "more easily".

And how could LSU allow smart to continue to play being on the receiving end of a $100,000 bribe ?
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:02 am Why has LSU not fired this scumbag ?

There is no way the FBI tapes can be interpreted as anything other than a bribe with an unsolicited admission that wade has paid other bribes in the past with other "more talented" than Smart "more easily".

And how could LSU allow smart to continue to play being on the receiving end of a $100,000 bribe ?
simple answer...lsu was advised by legal counsel not to take any action, other than suspension, before guilt has been established......
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
anEngineer
Riptide

golfnut69 wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:33 am
nawlinspete wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2019 8:02 am Why has LSU not fired this scumbag ?

simple answer...lsu was advised by legal counsel not to take any action, other than suspension, before guilt has been established......
Of course it would be premature to do anything permanent until the criminal investigation is complete. I would be surprised if LSU has not already contacted potential coaches. Tough call when you don't know about potential future sanctions.
Show Me
Tsunami

Funny. Hard to believe but Alleva’s contract with Wade actually worst than Dannen’s deal with Dunleavy. I wonder if Wade the master scammer could end up in prison and still get paid by LSU?
LSU has not made its ultimate plans known in regard to Wade, who signed a 6-year, $15 million contract with LSU in 2017 that runs through June 30, 2023. The contract did not include a buyout. The school would owe Wade the entire amount were he to be fired.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Show Me wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:55 am Funny. Hard to believe but Alleva’s contract with Wade actually worst than Dannen’s deal with Dunleavy. I wonder if Wade the master scammer could end up in prison and still get paid by LSU?
LSU has not made its ultimate plans known in regard to Wade, who signed a 6-year, $15 million contract with LSU in 2017 that runs through June 30, 2023. The contract did not include a buyout. The school would owe Wade the entire amount were he to be fired.
There are a variety of (morality etc) clauses in his contract that would prevent that from happening and would allow Lsu to severe ties and pay nothing. Possibly even claw back some money. He just hasn’t been officially charged with anything yet, if he is found guilty of anything they’ll pay nothing.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The tape is being used by the defense of someone that has nothing to do with LSU. It's possible Wade slides through this unscathed.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Anything is possible but the tape is now out there and the NCAA is on it. He's got to come up with a plausible explanation or he's done. He's got a new lawyer who also represents Pearl and at least one other coach that is caught up in this and is indicating he's now willing to talk. Looking forward to what story he's going to tell.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:33 pm Anything is possible but the tape is now out there and the NCAA is on it. He's got to come up with a plausible explanation or he's done. He's got a new lawyer who also represents Pearl and at least one other coach that is caught up in this and is indicating he's now willing to talk. Looking forward to what story he's going to tell.
The tape was out in October. It's not new or news. The refusal by the coach to meet with his superiors is what got him suspended. Again, I haven't read that he's under investigation (though I see your point, it's silly that he wouldn't be) as a result of the tape. But there's nothing that wasn't public before the season began.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:53 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:33 pm Anything is possible but the tape is now out there and the NCAA is on it. He's got to come up with a plausible explanation or he's done. He's got a new lawyer who also represents Pearl and at least one other coach that is caught up in this and is indicating he's now willing to talk. Looking forward to what story he's going to tell.
The tape was out in October. It's not new or news. The refusal by the coach to meet with his superiors is what got him suspended. Again, I haven't read that he's under investigation (though I see your point, it's silly that he wouldn't be) as a result of the tape. But there's nothing that wasn't public before the season began.
I believe that was a different tape they tried to play at the first trial. This one is clear and to the point . He was buying Smart and had bought others before him. That's why he got called in this time when he didn't the first go around and it's why now he also has to talk to the NCAA.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
GreenLantern
Riptide

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

As shocking as this is, it was somewhat predictable. Wade himself wasn't under investigation. LSU hasn't been a good basketball program in some time, and finally found a coach that knows how to win. It would be fitting if the NCAA later came down on them and LSU had to forfeit a bunch of wins.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:04 pm Image
So dirty. I am legit embarrassed to be a resident of a state who’s flagship university can have the balls to release this statement. It is almost like something the onion would put out.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Cheaters Never Prosper Meaning

Definition: If someone is successful at something because he cheated, he will ultimately pay for his deception.
The proverb cheaters never prosper simply means that those who gain an advantage at something by cheating will ultimately have to face the consequences of their actions.
Of unless you cheat at LSU
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Show Me
Tsunami

You got to just love LSU. The FBI has him on tape and he so he just tells LSU he didn’t do anything wrong and they re-instate him. The no backbone NCAA will just move on as well. It will just encourage more cheating if this is not further investigated with consequences.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Show Me wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:37 am You got to just love LSU. The FBI has him on tape and he so he just tells LSU he didn’t do anything wrong and they re-instate him. The no backbone NCAA will just move on as well. It will just encourage more cheating if this is not further investigated with consequences.
They could have him on video tape paying cash to his recruits and their families and he’d still be in good shape with the NCAA .
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You have to read what LSU said closely. What they said was that by meeting with them and denying wrongdoing he has met his contractual obligation. So they can't fire him without paying off his contract. The local coverage said the NCAA is waiting for the FBI to finish their investigation before they start theirs. It will take awhile but he likely gets canned and they forfeit a bunch of wins and tourney money. It was also pointed out that their current recruiting class is 13th in the SEC and 91st in the country. Things aren't going well while he's having to stay on the down low.
GreenLantern
Riptide

Listening to WWL radio today and they had a poll: Did LSU make the right decision by rehiring Wade? Over 85% of respondents said YES.

Sigh.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

So this is how it works, I know from experience. Coaches are given a tier system, where they can give preferential admittance. They have students that they can support and the number gets smaller as each tier progresses. It is just how it has worked forever. I will leave it at that, u can message me if u want to know more.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Alleva looks like the 1st casualty so far.
Just maybe the next AD won’t be afraid to play us. :lol:
https://www.businessreport.com/newslett ... s-director
Tulane Class of 1981
GreenLantern
Riptide

tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:55 am Alleva looks like the 1st casualty so far.
From tps article:
More recently, Alleva drew fan ire for suspending men’s basketball coach Will Wade, who was caught on an FBI wiretap investigating a recruitment scandal. Wade was reinstated earlier this week.
Help me understand this. Wade bribes players. Alleva 'suspends' Wade. Fans are angry at Alleva. What?
oliveandblue
Surge

GreenLantern wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:12 pm
tpstulane wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:55 am Alleva looks like the 1st casualty so far.
From tps article:
More recently, Alleva drew fan ire for suspending men’s basketball coach Will Wade, who was caught on an FBI wiretap investigating a recruitment scandal. Wade was reinstated earlier this week.
Help me understand this. Wade bribes players. Alleva 'suspends' Wade. Fans are angry at Alleva. What?
Wade was a winner. Alleva has actually held LSU back from their real potential.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican