Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
netshorty
Surge

netshorty wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:47 pm
GreenLantern wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:43 pm I believe that TD's primary goal is resume building and thus it would require a sure-shot coaching candidate for him to make a change. He can ill afford another hiring error.

From the comments here, I realize that some of you are more optimistic with the current staff, so let me present the following riddle:
  • Assume Sehic and a healthy Embo both return next season (my guess is that we will lose at least one)
  • Plan on our two bigs, Koka and Ajang, returning and improving as much for next season as they did from their first to second year.
  • Assume our three freshmen Zhang, Crabtree and Wood continue to mature at a typical rate for 2nd year players
  • Count on the return of a healthy Caleb Daniels
  • Plan on the enrollment of Nobal Days, a very good 3-star PF from Wisconsin
  • Realize that our only other commitment is Henri Langton, a JC xfer whose stats this year are as follows: started 7 of 29 games; is shooting 31% from 3pt; FT% is 66%; minutes per game is 12.8; points per game is 5.6; rebonds per game is 2.8
With these factors and the current staff, do you believe we will make the post-season next year? How about a winning conference record?
You can add that magically Melvin Frazier comes back and plays with his unused year of eligibility and the answer is still no. With the current staff, this team will never finish with a winning conference record, much less make a post season tournament.

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:43 pm I believe that TD's primary goal is resume building and thus it would require a sure-shot coaching candidate for him to make a change. He can ill afford another hiring error.

From the comments here, I realize that some of you are more optimistic with the current staff, so let me present the following riddle:
  • Assume Sehic and a healthy Embo both return next season (my guess is that we will lose at least one)
  • Plan on our two bigs, Koka and Ajang, returning and improving as much for next season as they did from their first to second year.
  • Assume our three freshmen Zhang, Crabtree and Wood continue to mature at a typical rate for 2nd year players
  • Realize that our only other commitment is Henri Langton, a JC xfer whose stats this year are as follows: started 7 of 29 games; is shooting 31% from 3pt; FT% is 66%; minutes per game is 12.8; points per game is 5.6; rebonds per game is 2.8
With these factors and the current staff, do you believe we will make the post-season next year? How about a winning conference record?
You can add that magically Melvin Frazier comes back and plays with his unused year of eligibility and the answer is still no. With the current staff, this team will never finishing with a winning conference record, much less making a post season tournament.

We do have one more player you forgot about, Jordan walker the kid who transferred from seton hall and is from New York. Looks like a good point guard.

Also as an aside a few articles actually said Nobal days was a 4 star which would be the first we’ve had coming out of high school in god knows how long.
https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/pages/nobal-days
netshorty
Surge

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:52 pm Drop it dudes, Dunleavy will be here this year and next as his recruits develop. You are the same people that were riding Fritz out the door 6 weeks ago. Impatient can't look at the whole picture!!!

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 04edc.html
If you can't see it for yourself then likely nobody here will be able to convince you. You are seeing things through a completely different lens than a vast majority of others (not just fans on this board). If you truly wanted to compare this to the Fritz situation, know that losing as we did to Alabama A&M is the equivalent of getting blown out by Nichols St. in football. If that had happened it's not just the loss that would have had everyone calling for a change, it was knowing that if we couldn't even compete with a Nichols St, how in the hell are we going to win a conference game. That is the difference, we knew we should have been better under Fritz and we blew games. Under Mike Dunleavy we don't have any business being on the same court with our AAC peers.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The record under Dunleavy speaks for itself. LOUD and CLEAR.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
netshorty
Surge

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:56 pm

You can add that magically Melvin Frazier comes back and plays with his unused year of eligibility and the answer is still no. With the current staff, this team will never finishing with a winning conference record, much less making a post season tournament.

We do have one more player you forgot about, Jordan walker the kid who transferred from seton hall and is from New York. Looks like a good point guard.

Also as an aside a few articles actually said Nobal days was a 4 star which would be the first we’ve had coming out of high school in god knows how long.
https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/pages/nobal-days
The more I watch Dunleavy coach, the more I'm convinced that if you gave him Duke's recruiting class here he'd probably just eek out a winning conference record in the AAC. All of these nice what-ifs and talks about player development and next year's players is great. But even if he has some players (see the year he had Reynolds and Frazier) or gets highly-rated transfers (see Cornish and Sehic) it doesn't translate into winning.
Bicoastalwave
Riptide

It is crazy that we weren’t better with two nba caliber guys Reynolds and Frazier last year. How is that possible ?

When responding to this query you are forbidden from beating the dead horses mentioned earlier in this thread. Challenge yourself and find new angles and rationales
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:51 pm It is crazy that we weren’t better with two nba caliber guys Reynolds and Frazier last year. How is that possible ?

When responding to this query you are forbidden from beating the dead horses mentioned earlier in this thread. Challenge yourself and find new angles and rationales
How many angles are there to the fact that someone is just a very bad college basketball coach? MD thinks he’s still coaching in the NBA , where a coach just sends out his players and lets them do what they want. That doesn’t work at the college level—even with some talent.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
netshorty
Surge

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:07 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:51 pm It is crazy that we weren’t better with two nba caliber guys Reynolds and Frazier last year. How is that possible ?

How many angles are there to the fact that someone is just a very bad college basketball coach? MD thinks he’s still coaching in the NBA , where a coach just sends out his players and lets them do what they want. That doesn’t work at the college level—even with some talent.
yep, who would have thought the whimsical story, shortly after he was hired, of Dunleavy not knowing the ncaa recruiting rules test was open-book would foreshadow him not knowing jack squat about the college game.
Wave QB
Swell

Add Steve Alford to that list. He just got fired from UCLA. His record is 587-298.

78-29 at Manchester (4 years, 2 conference championships, 3 NCAA-D3 Tournaments, 1 Runner Up.)

78-48 at Southwestern Missouri State (4 years, 1 NIT, 1 NCAA Tournament, 1 Sweet Sixteen)

153-107 at Iowa (8 years, 2 Big Ten Tournament Championships, 3 NIT, 3 NCAA Tournaments)

155-52 at New Mexico (6 years, 4 Mountain West Regular Season Championships, 2 Mountain West Conference Tournament/Regular Championships Titles, 3 NIT, 3 NCAA Tournaments)

124-63 at UCLA (5.5 years, 1 PAC-12 Conference Championship, 4 NCAA Tournaments)
WavyHoops
High Tide

Wave QB wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:47 pm Add Steve Alford to that list. He just got fired from UCLA. His record is 587-298.
Man, talk about losing a locker room. UCLA has been just god-awful this season.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave QB wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:47 pm Add Steve Alford to that list. He just got fired from UCLA. His record is 587-298.

78-29 at Manchester (4 years, 2 conference championships, 3 NCAA-D3 Tournaments, 1 Runner Up.)

78-48 at Southwestern Missouri State (4 years, 1 NIT, 1 NCAA Tournament, 1 Sweet Sixteen)

153-107 at Iowa (8 years, 2 Big Ten Tournament Championships, 3 NIT, 3 NCAA Tournaments)

155-52 at New Mexico (6 years, 4 Mountain West Regular Season Championships, 2 Mountain West Conference Tournament/Regular Championships Titles, 3 NIT, 3 NCAA Tournaments)

124-63 at UCLA (5.5 years, 1 PAC-12 Conference Championship, 4 NCAA Tournaments)
I'd sure take that record, right now. Sign him up.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Interesting perspective on mid-season coaching changes from Jordan Cornish:

I'd forgotten that he had been at UNLV when the coach there was fired mid-season.
Eaglewave
Swell

WavyHoops wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:06 pm

I don’t know about that. They shouldn’t have gotten trashed by Liberty the other night, but all 6 losses were against conference championships contenders. 3 of those teams were ranked. Even Liberty is sitting on a 11-3 record this year. UCLA is 7-6, so there is no way they were “god awful.”

After student put up signs around UCLA last season that read “ We play in Final Fours, not First Fours”, the guy came in this year on the hot season. UCLA has higher expectations than going to the sweet sixteen 3 of 5 years like Alford did. They didn’t believe he could get them over the hump, so they got rid of him as soon as they had sign of trouble. That’s the way things are with the big boys. Alford was coming off a 21-12 season with a tournament appearance, and sweet sixteen 31-5 season before that. This would be a big time hire for us.
Ball Sumrall!
Wave QB
Swell

UCLA is far from god awful. God awful is losing to Alabama A&M. UCLA is 7-6 and still has a good enough team to make the post season.
WavyHoops
High Tide

Wave QB wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:53 am
UCLA is far from god awful. God awful is losing to Alabama A&M. UCLA is 7-6 and still has a good enough team to make the post season.
Very fair point.

Heading into crucial stretch of 4 AAC games in 12 days, followed by break of 6 days. Let's see what happens.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

I would take Steve Alford's worst seasons over Dunleavy's best!

Seriously, we need to make a change and move the basketball program forward. Right now, it's going the wrong direction, with zero sign of turning things around. Alford would be a huge step up.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:03 pm I would take Steve Alford's worst seasons over Dunleavy's best!

Seriously, we need to make a change and move the basketball program forward. Right now, it's going the wrong direction, with zero sign of turning things around. Alford would be a huge step up.
Yep. It will take a move like that to get me to renew next season.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Wave QB
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:06 pm
DfromCT wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:03 pm I would take Steve Alford's worst seasons over Dunleavy's best!

Agreed.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:06 pm

Literally close to 0% chance.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No one disputes that. Just saying that's what it would take .
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

Just fired from UCLA, you’re getting excited over another Toledo hire? Not me.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

No comparison. Toledo had a career losing record. Alford has been a winner everywhere he's been. The sentiment in this thread is he'd be a very welcome relief compared to what we are getting from Dunleavy. At a minimum you'd hope he could stabilize things enough to make the job more appealing in the future.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:22 pm No comparison. Toledo had a career losing record. Alford has been a winner everywhere he's been. The sentiment in this thread is he'd be a very welcome relief compared to what we are getting from Dunleavy. At a minimum you'd hope he could stabilize things enough to make the job more appealing in the future.
Toledo did not have a career losing record according to the numbers I see.
15-6 at Riverside
14-30 at Pacific
49-32 at UCLA

UCLA is probably the best basketball job in the PAC 12. He never won the conference. What’s going to happen at Tulane when he’s got the #10 job in the AAC?
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:34 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:22 pm No comparison. Toledo had a career losing record. Alford has been a winner everywhere he's been. The sentiment in this thread is he'd be a very welcome relief compared to what we are getting from Dunleavy. At a minimum you'd hope he could stabilize things enough to make the job more appealing in the future.
Toledo did not have a career losing record according to the numbers I see.
15-6 at Riverside
14-30 at Pacific
49-32 at UCLA

UCLA is probably the best basketball job in the PAC 12. He never won the conference. What’s going to happen at Tulane when he’s got the #10 job in the AAC?
We got no shot at any coach as good as Alford—and we probably don’t have a good shot at Alford. Nonetheless Dannen should shoot for the stars and make a pitch to Alford. Comparing Alford to Toledo is apples to oranges.
Wave QB
Swell

Profoundwizard wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:48 pm Just fired from UCLA, you’re getting excited over another Toledo hire? Not me.
Toledo? I don’t get that comparison. His resume didn’t include 24 winning seasons at 5 different schools. Toledo didn’t have 21 post season appearances as well. Alford, (who has 10 conference championships), has kept each one of his teams in conference race and in the post season. UCLA fired him because he can’t get seem to get them to a National Championship.