Potential Men’s Basketball Coaches thread

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
puffy
Surge

Tulane has tried it from all angles from a coaching standpoint: 3 straight high major assistants (Clark, Finney, Dickerson), a sitting head coach from a low major (Conroy), and a coach with pro experience (Dunleavy). I don't know if there is one particular profile that would predict more success at Tulane than any of the other ones.

It would be great if Dannen could lure the Northern Iowa head coach to Tulane.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:02 am St Mary’s, Harvard, UVM are 3 programs with smaller arenas than us and have enjoyed far more success.

Yes we should have a bigger arena, but we don’t need one until we start winning. A small arena is not preventing us from winning. Go offer $1m+ To some young coach’s and show them Nola, the tv exposure, the conference & SKC and you’ll have 5 great young coaches chomping at the bit.
The only one you have that is successful there at an NCAA level is St.Mary's and their gym is a bit bigger. They get around that by recruiting foreign players.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:26 pm He's doing it again!
Offer it up then.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

WavyHoops wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:56 am
Bicoastalwave wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:02 am St Mary’s, Harvard, UVM are 3 programs with smaller arenas than us and have enjoyed far more success.

Yes we should have a bigger arena, but we don’t need one until we start winning. A small arena is not preventing us from winning. Go offer $1m+ To some young coach’s and show them Nola, the tv exposure, the conference & SKC and you’ll have 5 great young coaches chomping at the bit.
+1

Gonzaga's gym isn't much bigger than Tulane's and neither are the gyms of Belmont, Buffalo, Furman, VCU, Davidson, Yale, Lipscomb, Wofford and many other small and mid-sized private or parochial schools who compete nationally in basketball and would curb-stomp the current incarnation of the Green Wave.

Smoothie King is there when we need it (even more so since NOLA has no NHL team). But as I said before, we need to walk before we can run. Right now we're just rolling around in a soiled diaper.
Gonzaga's new arena seats 6.000 almost double of Tulane's. VCU's seats 7,500.
Last edited by winwave on Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Losing the argument means he has to change what is being argued. He's doing it again! Good night, Gracie!
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:47 pm Losing the argument means he has to change what is being argued. He's doing it again! Good night, Gracie!
When he's got nothing this is his fall back.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:36 pm

The only one you have that is successful there at an NCAA level is St.Mary's and their gym is a bit bigger. They get around that by recruiting foreign players.
Harvard has been to the NCAA 4 of the last 7 years, and NIT twice in that span. That means either the NCAA or the NIT in 6 of last 7 years. But they're not successful. Their gym seats 2,195. How short is your memory? They upset Cincinnati in the Big Dance in 2014.

UVM went to the NCAA tournament with 2 or 3 former Green Wave players in 2017. They lost to the 4 seed, Purdue, by 10. They've been to the NCAA tournament 6 times this century, and NIT 4 times, so they've been in the two major post season tournaments 10 times more than Tulane this century. Their gym seats 3200.

But those two programs aren't successful at the D1 level according to winwave.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:49 pm
DfromCT wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:47 pm Losing the argument means he has to change what is being argued. He's doing it again! Good night, Gracie!
When you lose an argument, your fall back is to change what's being argued, as you've done here. Good night, Gracie! You're doing it again! :lol: :roll: :lol:
Highwave
Low Tide

puffy wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:27 pm Tulane has tried it from all angles from a coaching standpoint: 3 straight high major assistants (Clark, Finney, Dickerson), a sitting head coach from a low major (Conroy), and a coach with pro experience (Dunleavy). I don't know if there is one particular profile that would predict more success at Tulane than any of the other ones.

It would be great if Dannen could lure the Northern Iowa head coach to Tulane.
The Conroy hire can hardly be used as an example of TU hiring the type of low major HC we should be looking at right now. He was 49-76 (.392) at the Citadel - which was worse than his predecessor there (158-233 .404). I would love to see TU hire someone from this list: https://sports.yahoo.com/20-head-coache ... 21867.html

And I'd give anything to have the Perry Clark years back. Can anyone shed light on the Finney hire? The program was in much better shape back then. Even though Finney was a top assistant at UK, it seems we could have brought in a more proven replacement.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:59 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Harvard has been to the NCAA 4 of the last 7 years, and NIT twice in that span. That means either the NCAA or the NIT in 6 of last 7 years. But they're not successful. Their gym seats 2,195. How short is your memory? They upset Cincinnati in the Big Dance in 2014.

UVM went to the NCAA tournament with 2 or 3 former Green Wave players in 2017. They lost to the 4 seed, Purdue, by 10. They've been to the NCAA tournament 6 times this century, and NIT 4 times, so they've been in the two major post season tournaments 10 times more than Tulane this century. Their gym seats 3200.

But those two programs aren't successful at the D1 level according to winwave.
So we need to join a much lesser conference to get the auto bid. BTW, two is a lot less than "lots".
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 1:01 pm
winwave wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 12:49 pm
When you lose an argument, your fall back is to change what's being argued, as you've done here. Good night, Gracie! You're doing it again! :lol: :roll: :lol:
Two decades of failure and poor recruiting says it's a part of the problem. Deal with it.
gbgreenie
Surge

Drop it dudes, Dunleavy will be here this year and next as his recruits develop. You are the same people that were riding Fritz out the door 6 weeks ago. Impatient can't look at the whole picture!!!

https://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans ... 04edc.html
gbgreenie
Surge

How quickly freshman 3-star prospects Kevin Zhang, Moses Wood and Connor Crabtree develop will go a long way in determining whether the Green Wave can be competitive in the American Athletic Conference this season.
Picked 10th out of 12 teams by the league’s coaches at AAC media day, the Wave placed five places higher than that in 247Sports' 2018 class recruiting rankings.

“All three guys shoot the 3,” Dunleavy said. “All three of them have a good IQ for the game. They are picking things up and fitting in really well so far. At this point, I see all three guys playing. It’s a little bit too early to say as far as minutes, but I’m comfortable in saying all three will be in our rotation.”
They will get a little extra time to develop before their first real test. Because of a late cancellation and addition, Tulane has a 10-day break between its Nov. 1 exhibition against Loyola and its Nov. 11 opener against 17th-ranked Florida State.
Dunleavy said Zhang (6-foot-9, 215 pounds) and Wood (6-8, 190) needed to get stronger physically, typical for freshmen. They will not arrive there overnight, but they have the skill set to work through that deficiency in a class long on length.
Zhang, listed as the best Chinese basketball prospect in America in 2018 by FloHoops, was part of a Montverde Academy (Florida) 25-0 national championship team as a senior after spending three years at La Lumiere School (Indiana), another prep powerhouse. He received an offer from UCLA before picking Tulane.
gbgreenie
Surge

Wood, rated the No. 5 prospect in Nevada by ESPN.com after playing for Galena High in Carson City, where he averaged 17.8 points, 7.7 rebounds and 2.3 blocks as a junior while shooting 48 percent from the floor. He chose Tulane over La Salle and San Francisco. His father, David Wood, played nine seasons in the NBA.
Wood said his biggest priority was getting stronger in the weight room.
“Spotting up and shooting it is my strength,” he said. ‘I’m a decent passer, too, and an OK shot blocker as well. I like to rebound the ball, too.”
Unlike the other two freshmen, Dunleavy said Crabtree (6-6, 190) is strong enough to match up physically right away. After graduating from Orange High in Hillsborough, North Carolina, he played at Hargrave Military Academy in Virginia last season to improve his stock, averaging 21.4 points, 4.8 assists, 3.2 rebounds and 2.2 steals.
gbgreenie
Surge

Guys this recruiting class will take time to develop, Dunleavy took players from Memphis and UCLA, so you have no knowledge if you criticize his recruiting class. Just like you did Fritz you expect instant development when steps are in place for long term success. You have coaches that have proven to develop players give them time.
oliveandblue
Surge

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:07 pm Guys this recruiting class will take time to develop, Dunleavy took players from Memphis and UCLA, so you have no knowledge if you criticize his recruiting class. Just like you did Fritz you expect instant development when steps are in place for long term success. You have coaches that have proven to develop players give them time.
His problem isn't recruiting.

They look unmotivated out there. You shouldn't have to build to beat a SWAC team. We are at the national laughingstock level. This is way worse than "long term development".

This is also year 3, not year 0.

Fritz was NEVER even close to this bad.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

The problem is the program needs to win more games than it losses and there's no sign of that happening anytime soon. Year three should be better than year 1 and it's not, it's worse. a lot worse. We want a coach that can take us to the NCAA tournament, is that too much to ask for? Tulane is now in the bottom 15% of the 300+ colleges that play basketball at the D1 level. Maybe even in the bottom 10%. We're that bad.

I don't care how many players he places into NBA practice squads, it's the results of the TEAM that are what he was hired for. Ultimately those horrible team results are going to get him fired. We all hope it's sooner, not later.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

ajcalhoun wrote: Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:09 pm The Furman coach was born in New Orleans, according to his wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Richey
The more I learn about Bob Richey, the more I like him. He's a Greenville guy, though, and it may be tough to get him to come back to New Orleans.
puffy
Surge

gbgreenie wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:07 pm Guys this recruiting class will take time to develop, Dunleavy took players from Memphis and UCLA, so you have no knowledge if you criticize his recruiting class. Just like you did Fritz you expect instant development when steps are in place for long term success. You have coaches that have proven to develop players give them time.
I'm all for going all-in on the freshmen amd sophomore classes. Let them get their minutes in and it should pay dividends down the road. I think Moses Wood will be really good as a junior and Senior. I think Crabtree can be really good by next season, and Zhang can emerge as the best player by the end of this season. Just give them the ball and let them go. The results can't be any worse than what they have been so far.

Tulane has been hurt by lack of consistent productivity from their upper classmen (Cornish and Sehic). Cornish in particular hasn't improved at all between his Junior and Senior seasons. Also, Ona Embo is really missed.

One thing about Dunleavy is that players (mostly) have improved their skills individually. It just seems that collectively the team is less than the sum of their parts.
Eaglewave
Swell

Wave QB wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:11 am 1. Larry Caradaro
(A diamond in the rough who is looking for a chance at the big time. I know many of you might be shocked that he is at the top of my list due to his inexperience on the major level, but this kid can really coach! He reminds me of Brad Stevens. His overall coaching record is 128-18 at LSU-Alexandria in his fourth season. He took them to the post season every year so far, and was the 2017 NAIA Coach of the Year. Remember this post fellas. This kid is the real deal from the floor.)

2. Mike Davis
(A veteran coach of the game who was 115-79 at Indiana, 122-73 at UAB, and a 118-69 record at Texas Southern. At Indiana, he went to the post season 5 of 6 years that included 1 NCAA Runner Up. At UAB, he took the Blazers to the post season 4 out of 6 years and won a conference championship. At Texas Southern, Davis knocked off some major division I programs, went to the post season 5 of 6 years, and won 4 conference titles while squeezing blood from a turnip. He is currently the coach at Detroit.)

3. Kyle Keller
(A very solid defensive coach who took Stephen F Austin to the big dance last year, and has been around plenty of programs as an assistant in route to being a HC. I think he could win at Tulane.)

Caradaro is the real deal. That kid knows basketball. I think an unknown young gun who wants to make a name for himself can work at this point. Davis would leave Denver in a heartbeat to be the head coach here. I like him as well. He knows te game. What he did at Texas Southern with not much in his budget was impressive. He has beaten some big time teams as well.
Ball Sumrall!
WavyHoops
High Tide

Love this. Had never heard of these guys before because of my East Cost bias.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

MD is not goin' nowhere, he and TD car pool to work from their palatial Ole Metry homes.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
GreenLantern
Riptide

I believe that TD's primary goal is resume building and thus it would require a sure-shot coaching candidate for him to make a change. He can ill afford another hiring error.

From the comments here, I realize that some of you are more optimistic with the current staff, so let me present the following riddle:
  • Assume Sehic and a healthy Embo both return next season (my guess is that we will lose at least one)
  • Plan on our two bigs, Koka and Ajang, returning and improving as much for next season as they did from their first to second year.
  • Assume our three freshmen Zhang, Crabtree and Wood continue to mature at a typical rate for 2nd year players
  • Count on the return of a healthy Caleb Daniels
  • Plan on the enrollment of Nobal Days, a very good 3-star PF from Wisconsin
  • Realize that our only other commitment is Henri Langton, a JC xfer whose stats this year are as follows: started 7 of 29 games; is shooting 31% from 3pt; FT% is 66%; minutes per game is 12.8; points per game is 5.6; rebonds per game is 2.8
With these factors and the current staff, do you believe we will make the post-season next year? How about a winning conference record?
Show Me
Tsunami

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:43 pm I believe that TD's primary goal is resume building and thus it would require a sure-shot coaching candidate for him to make a change. He can ill afford another hiring error.

From the comments here, I realize that some of you are more optimistic with the current staff, so let me present the following riddle:
  • Assume Sehic and a healthy Embo both return next season (my guess is that we will lose at least one)
  • Plan on our two bigs, Koka and Ajang, returning and improving as much for next season as they did from their first to second year.
  • Assume our three freshmen Zhang, Crabtree and Wood continue to mature at a typical rate for 2nd year players
  • Realize that our only other commitment is Henri Langton, a JC xfer whose stats this year are as follows: started 7 of 29 games; is shooting 31% from 3pt; FT% is 66%; minutes per game is 12.8; points per game is 5.6; rebonds per game is 2.8
With these factors and the current staff, do you believe we will make the post-season next year? How about a winning conference record?
Too many assumptions especially with player development. What if Daniels goes down next year? We lost to too many bad teams this year. Dunleavy needs to be held accountable for that. He’s the highest paid basketball coach in Tulane history and has one of the worst W/L records at this point of any previous coach at this stage in his Tulane coaching career.
Assume if he wins only 2 or less conference games then what?
netshorty
Surge

GreenLantern wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:43 pm I believe that TD's primary goal is resume building and thus it would require a sure-shot coaching candidate for him to make a change. He can ill afford another hiring error.

You can add that magically Melvin Frazier comes back and plays with his unused year of eligibility and the answer is still no. With the current staff, this team will never finishing with a winning conference record, much less making a post season tournament.