Scott Cowen

The board for former Green Wave players and coaches.
waveclem
Surge

While everyone else is trying to push forward and enhance athletics, he is on a board (what else is new) discussing ways to promote the STUDENT in student-athlete. He's fighting a losing battle and he is taking Tulane down with his crusade. You can have your beliefs, but he shouldn't be forcing them on a school in which the alumni doesn't want it. Their is no doubt in my mind anymore that were headed to Division III.
http://tulane.edu/news/newwave/101112_agb_report.cfm

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Good find Clem.......
Looking for a way to either kill athletics or let the athletics kill itself with no financial help from the university.
“With more than 80 percent of athletics departments requiring a university financial subsidy, boards must keep a careful eye on how subsidies are impacting the overall well-being of the university and the athletic departments,” Cowen says.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

So there's a very strong athletics subcommittee of the Board that is on top of things? Yet again, it's obvious that this man will lie about anything and everything. If it's very strong, how are the results of the program so poor?
JerseyWave
Riptide

Who is on this Board??? Mrs. Dickson and Mrs. Cowen???
Blondecheerleader
Trickle

Bring back the mandatory retirement age! Good God, I can't take anymore of his "reign"!
Dave breslin
Swell

Who were the other 13 people on this board? Sounds like a pack of whiney losers who can't play in the big league. Of course we know that big time athletics has lowered the standards. It's entertainment not just academics. If that's what you want--joinD3
Fred Dowler
Riptide

It seems as if this advisory group is somewhat a result of the recent scandal at Penn State...and they may have a point...but here we see once again President Scott Cowen "getting involved" as he was with the whole "crusade against the evil BCS."

If he wants to run around the country and "get involved" and work for some national organization like the Knight Commission, fine, but why not leave Tulane to have someone run the school who's working for Tulane full time?

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2012 ... -athletics
Last edited by Fred Dowler on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane sports: small football stadium, very small basketball arena, w̶i̶n̶n̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶g̶r̶a̶m̶s̶, h̶o̶n̶e̶s̶t̶y̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶c̶c̶o̶u̶n̶t̶a̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ , but, hey, now there's tailgating.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

"Athletics is not an island. The governing board is ultimately accountable for athletics..."
I'll add, "except at Tulane"
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Is going to participate in a forum discussion regarding NCAA Athletics. Everyone should tweet him letting them know how we feel about his handling of Tulane Athletics, so the world knows what a dingbat this guy really is.

https://twitter.com/TulaneScott

Mods: Please feel free to merge this into an existing SC thread.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
msdos
Swell

Big picture I think Cowen is right about college athletics.

If he were a good president though, he would have seen that Tulane as a university had much more to gain if he played ball and he really hamstring us at what could have been a pivotal point.
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Why are the critical tweets from GOTULANEt unavailable? Who is silencing our voices? I tweeted a very critical response to Cowens tweet about the forum he's participating in and it's been censored as well.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:50 am Why are the critical tweets from GOTULANEt unavailable? Who is silencing our voices? I tweeted a very critical response to Cowens tweet about the forum he's participating in and it's been censored as well.
The gotula tweets aren't unavailable, Cowen has blocked the GoTula.net Twitter account, so his tweet doesn't show up for them. I'm still able to see it on my Twitter account, and I see the GoTula replies as well.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:50 am Why are the critical tweets from GOTULANEt unavailable? Who is silencing our voices? I tweeted a very critical response to Cowens tweet about the forum he's participating in and it's been censored as well.
The original tweets are "unavailable" when looking at the tweet quote because he has since blocked the GOTULA account. Here are his tweets:

Roll Wave!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Those are the ones I replied critically to, and my tweets are blocked there. Then again, I just started tweeting last summer and have no followers, so not sure if my tweets would be shared with his followers. I'm not a twitter guy!
GreenLantern
Riptide

NOLABigSteve
Riptide

GreenLantern wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:17 pm Image
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Roll Wave!
Show Me
Tsunami

Blaming the Board for athletic failure.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

What a cop out from a POS person that has been nothing but self promoting since he was named President of Tulane. What about "The Review"? How did that help Tulane Athletics, Scotty boy? What about your attack on the BCS when Tulane was in it's best position since leaving the SEC to bring Athletics back into the realm of relevancy. Scott Cowen made one horrible decision after another with regards to Tulane Athletics, and now sensors those that call him out on his TERRIBLE decisions. His $15-20 million dollar operating deficits, WHICH HE TRIED TO HIDE his last few years as President, would have been covered by being in a BCS (AKA "P5) conference. He cost the University hundreds of millions of dollars. There's a good reason most that post here want to add "jerk" to the name of the road that's currently Cowen Circle. He might have been the worst thing to happen to Tulane University, and that's saying a lot.

I wish we would break all ties with him.
msdos
Swell

Again, I don't disagree with what he is fundamentally saying. But good lord, what a pompous self-righteous load of hot air that fuckstick is.

To bad nobody was reviewing you, Scott. I firmly believe we get in the Big 12 over TCU or WVU had we gone with Rich Rod in 99
HoustonWave
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:22 pm What a cop out from a POS person that has been nothing but self promoting since he was named President of Tulane. What about "The Review"? How did that help Tulane Athletics, Scotty boy? What about your attack on the BCS when Tulane was in it's best position since leaving the SEC to bring Athletics back into the realm of relevancy. Scott Cowen made one horrible decision after another with regards to Tulane Athletics, and now sensors those that call him out on his TERRIBLE decisions. His $15-20 million dollar operating deficits, WHICH HE TRIED TO HIDE his last few years as President, would have been covered by being in a BCS (AKA "P5) conference. He cost the University hundreds of millions of dollars. There's a good reason most that post here want to add "jerk" to the name of the road that's currently Cowen Circle. He might have been the worst thing to happen to Tulane University, and that's saying a lot.

+1,000. Cowen is the worse thing that ever happened to Tulane. He’s nothing more than an egotistical bag of academic hot air. He views himself as an enlightened prognosticator of college athletics—when in reality he pathetically way behind the real world and real trends. Accordingly he lives in a world with few others—just a small number of other clueless academics. I do believe that most of the world, that even know of him, simply ignore him. That said, we Tulanians should always be vigilant in making sure that everyone knows how bad this guy is. He’s toxic to anyone who gets near him.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

msdos wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:08 pm Again, I don't disagree with what he is fundamentally saying. But good lord, what a pompous self-righteous load of hot air that fuckstick is.

To bad nobody was reviewing you, Scott. I firmly believe we get in the Big 12 over TCU or WVU had we gone with Rich Rod in 99
The problem is, what he's fundamentally saying is a two-way street, but he only sees it one way. Its true that the board has a responsibility to not let athletics get out of hand, but they ALSO have a responsibility not to let a President destroy athletics, which is the most visible part of any university branding. Where do you think UCF would be in this country's consciousness, if not for winning 25 football games in a row? Non-existent.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:22 pm What a cop out from a POS person that has been nothing but self promoting since he was named President of Tulane. What about "The Review"? How did that help Tulane Athletics, Scotty boy? What about your attack on the BCS when Tulane was in it's best position since leaving the SEC to bring Athletics back into the realm of relevancy. Scott Cowen made one horrible decision after another with regards to Tulane Athletics, and now sensors those that call him out on his TERRIBLE decisions. His $15-20 million dollar operating deficits, WHICH HE TRIED TO HIDE his last few years as President, would have been covered by being in a BCS (AKA "P5) conference. He cost the University hundreds of millions of dollars. There's a good reason most that post here want to add "jerk" to the name of the road that's currently Cowen Circle. He might have been the worst thing to happen to Tulane University, and that's saying a lot.

Censors , not sensors .
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:38 pm

Censors , not sensors .
You are absolutely right. And another brilliant post!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Tulane Class of 1981