OC Doug Ruse Fired

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Which basically means no Air Raid offense. Maybe some concepts but not a full fledged AR.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
galvezwave
Swell

I think he’s right. The best teams can run the football. AR teams don’t seem to sustain much success and are usually horrible defensively. I don’t know if it’s coincidental or what . People forget RR liked to run the ball too.
gbgreenie
Surge

Agree folks, all passing offenses score too fast and put heavy pressure on defenses to make stops. Defenses get worn out because of low time of possession with passing offense. Good running teams complimented by the passing game hang on to the ball keeping it away from opposition offenses. Defenses stay fresh as the offense controls time of possession. But the running game can't be vanilla mixing in play action passes, screen passes and occasional reverses and half back passes.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

galvezwave wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:37 pm I think he’s right. The best teams can run the football. AR teams don’t seem to sustain much success and are usually horrible defensively. I don’t know if it’s coincidental or what . People forget RR liked to run the ball too.
Rod passed to set up the run.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:50 pm
galvezwave wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:37 pm I think he’s right. The best teams can run the football. AR teams don’t seem to sustain much success and are usually horrible defensively. I don’t know if it’s coincidental or what . People forget RR liked to run the ball too.
Rod passed to set up the run.
Yep.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

gbgreenie wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:49 pm Agree folks, all passing offenses score too fast and put heavy pressure on defenses to make stops. Defenses get worn out because of low time of possession with passing offense. Good running teams complimented by the passing game hang on to the ball keeping it away from opposition offenses. Defenses stay fresh as the offense controls time of possession. But the running game can't be vanilla mixing in play action passes, screen passes and occasional reverses and half back passes.
We don't have to look any further than the Saints for proof of this. The best offensive years they've had are when they can run the ball well. When they have to rely on just Brees' passing, the defense got trashed.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Wave755
Tsunami

galvezwave wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:37 pm People forget RR liked to run the ball too.
But don't forget, our running game under RR was almost exclusively misdirection plays out of the shotgun.

How much did Tony Converse weigh?
galvezwave
Swell

Running the ball is running the ball .
msdos
Swell

I'm a little late to the party on this one, but let's back up for a moment.

Ruse, who has been with Willy Fritz for 6+ years gets fired. Fritz, the guy who pats himself on the back for coaching staff continuity, the guy who crowd surfs after beating an FCS team, fires his OC. After going 6-6 and having arguably the best offensive numbers since coming to Tulane, he fires his OC. And then, when he talks about it to the press, he says hes looking to go 50/50 run pass - the same thing he said when he first came to Tulane.

My point is, I don't think this is a Fritz move, I think this is from Dannen. Which backs up what winwave says about administration reading these boards.

Regardless, we know Fritz is here for several more years so this is likely the most positive outcome in the current situation.
Mandeville Wave
High Tide

msdos wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:07 pm I'm a little late to the party on this one, but let's back up for a moment.

Ruse, who has been with Willy Fritz for 6+ years gets fired. Fritz, the guy who pats himself on the back for coaching staff continuity, the guy who crowd surfs after beating an FCS team, fires his OC. After going 6-6 and having arguably the best offensive numbers since coming to Tulane, he fires his OC. And then, when he talks about it to the press, he says hes looking to go 50/50 run pass - the same thing he said when he first came to Tulane.

My point is, I don't think this is a Fritz move, I think this is from Dannen. Which backs up what winwave says about administration reading these boards.

Regardless, we know Fritz is here for several more years so this is likely the most positive outcome in the current situation.
I believe TD had a huge hand in this.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I believe he had a hand in it too because he definitely had a hand in the pitching coach change. His job is on the line too and the people on these boards aren't the only one's that have been upset. All those empty seats at all of our games no matter the sport speak loudly that the fan base is unhappy.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Profoundwizard
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:33 pm I believe he had a hand in it too because he definitely had a hand in the pitching coach change. His job is on the line too and the people on these boards aren't the only one's that have been upset. All those empty seats at all of our games no matter the sport speak loudly that the fan base is unhappy.
So Jewett really wanted to keep the pitching coach despite the disaster his pitching staff was two years in a row?
Jesus, if that’s the case, Jewett should have been fired
ajcalhoun
Swell

winwave wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:06 pm He said Tulane will always stress run but wants to be 50-50 in run/pass.
God Bless Everyone!
anEngineer
Riptide

For me, it is very satifying to watch a 5-6 minute drive down the field, with the defense on their heels and getting worn down for the 4th quarter. That's winning football.
RobertM320
Green Wave

anEngineer wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:05 am For me, it is very satifying to watch a 5-6 minute drive down the field, with the defense on their heels and getting worn down for the 4th quarter. That's winning football.
Agreed. But the way the sport is today, we shouldn't have games with only 11, 16, 16 and 19 passes. And yet, the odd thing is, we won 3 of those 4 games.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Here's a breakdown on our run-pass by game. I've already adjusted the run totals by removing sacks and adding them to the passes, because they're originally count as runs. Of course, I can't tell how many QB runs were originally pass plays.

Run Pass Sacks Opp
38 41 3 WF
41 16 Nich St
34 30 6 UAB
38 19 3 Ohio St
53 25 3 Memphis
36 33 3 Cinn
41 27 5 SMU
55 19 0 Tulsa
51 12 1 USF
47 30 2 ECU
42 25 1 Houston
29 30 1 Navy

My takes from this:
Only two games with more passes than runs: WF and Navy Why?
How can you possibly not throw more in the two blowout games, Ohio State and Houston, if you're trying to win?
We were more run heavy in the first two McMillan starts, probably just being conservative with a new QB
23 sacks in the first 7 games, only 5 in the last 5. Partially a product of the defenses, but also McMillan's presence in pocket compared to Banks.

Yes, Fritz said when he first came here that he wanted to be run first, but ultimately 50/50 run-pass. We were 62/38 this season. That's why Ruse is gone. I have no problem with Fritz stating in his PC that we want to be 50/50. Its not a contradiction. Its a re affirmation of what his philosophy is, and Ruse wasn't giving him that.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:52 am Here's a breakdown on our run-pass by game. I've already adjusted the run totals by removing sacks and adding them to the passes, because they're originally count as runs. Of course, I can't tell how many QB runs were originally pass plays.

Run Pass Sacks Opp
38 41 3 WF
41 16 Nich St
34 30 6 UAB
38 19 3 Ohio St
53 25 3 Memphis
36 33 3 Cinn
41 27 5 SMU
55 19 0 Tulsa
51 12 1 USF
47 30 2 ECU
42 25 1 Houston
29 30 1 Navy

My takes from this:
Only two games with more passes than runs: WF and Navy Why?
How can you possibly not throw more in the two blowout games, Ohio State and Houston, if you're trying to win?
We were more run heavy in the first two McMillan starts, probably just being conservative with a new QB
23 sacks in the first 7 games, only 5 in the last 5. Partially a product of the defenses, but also McMillan's presence in pocket compared to Banks.

Yes, Fritz said when he first came here that he wanted to be run first, but ultimately 50/50 run-pass. We were 62/38 this season. That's why Ruse is gone. I have no problem with Fritz stating in his PC that we want to be 50/50. Its not a contradiction. Its a re affirmation of what his philosophy is, and Ruse wasn't giving him that.
The reason why we ran so much is to shorten games and keep them close as possible until the end. That’s why WF teams have fewer blowout loses. That style of play gives you a chance to win against almost everyone we have on our schedule. Bowden and Rod had the philosophy that we’d have to outscore our opposition to win so he went no huddle and fast paced to makeup for our lack of defense.
We weren’t as physical as our opponents but we were better conditioned and would always wear them out with that scheme.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

anEngineer wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:05 am For me, it is very satifying to watch a 5-6 minute drive down the field, with the defense on their heels and getting worn down for the 4th quarter. That's winning football.
That can be done with the short passing game used to balance things out so the other team can't stack the box and have you going 3 and out and putting the D right back out there.
MicMan
Swell

I don't know what's funnier-- posters calling for the hiring of disgraced has-been coaches/ unqualified letterman, or thinking they're the second coming of Bill Walsh when it comes to playcalling.
anEngineer
Riptide

MicMan wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:11 am I don't know what's funnier-- posters calling for the hiring of disgraced has-been coaches/ unqualified letterman, or thinking they're the second coming of Bill Walsh when it comes to playcalling.
They are equally funny and frequent. Given the recent legal disputes with Bud's Broiler, are you buying your beef and smoke sauce from the company?
Wavetime
Swell

I don't know who we are going to get, but I'd guess someone who runs the RPO offense. This offense is hot right now and we've been running a version of that all year.

Since we're talking about what we like, I love good ol' fashion play action football. Run it down their throats and then play action to a wide open back, TE or WR. I know this went by the way side with Bill Walsh, but I love it. Sure was more exciting than the Wishbone.
Wave755
Tsunami

Wavetime wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:14 am I love good ol' fashion play action football. Run it down their throats and then play action to a wide open back, TE or WR. I know this went by the way side with Bill Walsh, but I love it. Sure was more exciting than the Wishbone.
Hmm, sounds like you are nostalgic for "Buffet Bob" Toledo's West Coast Offense to me? :baeh:
Wavetime
Swell

Wave755 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:51 am
Wavetime wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:14 am I love good ol' fashion play action football. Run it down their throats and then play action to a wide open back, TE or WR. I know this went by the way side with Bill Walsh, but I love it. Sure was more exciting than the Wishbone.
Hmm, sounds like you are nostalgic for "Buffet Bob" Toledo's West Coast Offense to me? :baeh:
I was OK with it but we're lucky we had Mr. Forte. Buffet Bob ran him into the ground.

I'd rather the old Pittsburgh or Miami Offenses. Good ol' dose of Franco Harris then over the top to Lynn Swann. Love it!!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:06 pm I've said all along if we are going to win at this level and especially in this conference we need balance and we need to score a lot of points to win. Glad WF is recognizing that with this move. Here is a recap from when he appeared on the radio yesterday by a poster on another site:

Fritz was on the Kaare Johnson show yesterday on 1280 AM; said Coach Atkins will be the interim OC.
said he wants to beef up the passing game and will find an OC who can provide better balance. He said Tulane will always stress run but wants to be 50-50 in run/pass.
There's a huge dichotomy with a statement that Tulane will "always stress the run, but wants to be 50-50 run/pass." That makes no sense. That's not stressing the run! The SCHEME under Ruse clearly needed to be successful running the football to open up the passing game. We all want to see more points, and we all want to see a more prolific (and frankly more interesting) offense. But, as coached, this offense was successful passing when the opponents were gearing up to stop the run.

It will be interesting to see what we run in the bowl game. Probably too late to change the offense, but the play calling has to improve. Get the ball to our talented and speed guys on the outside. Even Woodie Hayes ("Mr. 4 yards and a cloud of dust") would have thought Ruse's offense was ugly.

We have McMillan and the Transfer from USM plus whatever QB recruits we sign. Let's hope we can build an offense that doesn't put us to sleep, or make it almost impossible to watch the games a second time. I'm very stoked that we're going in a different direction, and hope we can become a team that scores 30+ week in and week out.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V