OC Doug Ruse Fired

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

gbgreenie wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:54 pm Longshot, Fritz may not coach beyond 2023 because of age. Beg if we have to bring in Rich Rodriquez as Offensive Coordinator with the commitment of him taking over as Head Coach upon Coach Fritz's Retirement. Would be a long term decision and a boast to our Football Program looking ahead for stability all around including Recruiting!!! He could bring in Shaun King as Quarterback Coach.
In 2023, Fritz will be two years younger than Mack Brown is today. Fritz is only 58. He may be gone after 2023, but it wont have anything to do with age.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Dave breslin
Swell

Gee, I was debunked after I criticized our offensive play calling after the WF game. Told I was way off base. I gues Coach Willie saw the same thing. I thank coach Ruse for his effort but this high school offense won’t work at Tulane. We need a wide open spread offense. We will never out physical D1 competition. But we can out quick and out smart them. Like ‘98 did.
Dave breslin
Swell

Golf says that Willie is on wwl at 7ish I’ve got Rudolph the red nose reindeer on at 7. Is he replacing Rudolph ? Could wwl be interested in tulane news? Could this mean we get a broadcast station that can be picked up past Claiborne and Carrollton? Could this be the beginning of something really big?
nawlinspete
Riptide

Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:09 pm Any thoughts on who we may be looking at ?

Here are a few names I’ve scraped together through 5 minutes of internet research & copy/paste:

Bryant Vincent, Offensive Coordinator, UAB

After a three-year stint at South Alabama, Vincent has returned to UAB to handle the play-calling duties on offense. Vincent’s offenses at South Alabama never climbed to the top of the Sun Belt in scoring, but there’s optimism for better results in Birmingham. He was the play-caller for UAB in 2014, helping the offense average 33.2 points a game and set a school record for most total yards in a season (5,182).

Tim Cramsey, Co-Offensive Coordinator, Marshall

Cramsey was the architect behind the FCS’ top offense last season. In his only year at Sam Houston State, Cramsey guided the offense to an average of 43.3 points and more than 500 yards a game. The Bearkats also led the FCS in passing attempts (594) and passing offense (362.7 ypg) in 2017. Cramsey played his college ball at New Hampshire from 1994-97 under an assistant that’s familiar with high-powered offenses -- Chip Kelly. After Cramsey’s playing career ended, he eventually landed with New Hampshire as an assistant from 2003-11, including the final three years as the program’s offensive coordinator. He also held that title in stops at FIU (2012), Montana State (2013-15) and Nevada (2016).

.Graham Harrell, North Texas - Remember what I said about Seth Littrell having an eye for coaching talent. Offensive coordinator Graham Harrell (yes, that Graham Harrell) has helped Littrell turn UNT around by introducing a wide open Air Raid offense. If Littrell moves on after the season Harrell should be the favorite to be UNT’s next head coach.

Travis Trickett, Georgia State - The 33-year old offensive coordinator is known for running an explosive spread offense and is starting to develop a reputation as an excellent recruiter in Florida, too. After guiding two explosive Samford offenses in 2014 and 2015, Trickett became the offensive coordinator at FAU and was in charge of a unit that set school records for rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. Given his familiarity with FAU, Trickett could be in contention for the head coaching job whenever Lane Kiffin moves on.
Let's go after bigger fish and throw out the minnows
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Sunamiwave
High Tide

My optimism about Fritz has skyrocketed after hearing this news. He obviously wants to build something special at Tulane. I know Rich Rod would not be interested in the oc position but I would love to see Fritz get on the phone with him for suggestions on who we should hire along with our offensive philosophy moving forward. Alternatively I would be very interested in hiring an oc from the Mike Leach coaching tree. Someone who could successfully implement the air raid offense at Tulane.
Wave755
Tsunami

I have been listening to WWL since 7:00 p.m. but still mention of Willie Fritz or Tulane whatsoever?
nawlinspete
Riptide

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:59 pm
Bicoastalwave wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:09 pm Any thoughts on who we may be looking at ?

Here are a few names I’ve scraped together through 5 minutes of internet research & copy/paste:

Bryant Vincent, Offensive Coordinator, UAB

After a three-year stint at South Alabama, Vincent has returned to UAB to handle the play-calling duties on offense. Vincent’s offenses at South Alabama never climbed to the top of the Sun Belt in scoring, but there’s optimism for better results in Birmingham. He was the play-caller for UAB in 2014, helping the offense average 33.2 points a game and set a school record for most total yards in a season (5,182).

Tim Cramsey, Co-Offensive Coordinator, Marshall

Cramsey was the architect behind the FCS’ top offense last season. In his only year at Sam Houston State, Cramsey guided the offense to an average of 43.3 points and more than 500 yards a game. The Bearkats also led the FCS in passing attempts (594) and passing offense (362.7 ypg) in 2017. Cramsey played his college ball at New Hampshire from 1994-97 under an assistant that’s familiar with high-powered offenses -- Chip Kelly. After Cramsey’s playing career ended, he eventually landed with New Hampshire as an assistant from 2003-11, including the final three years as the program’s offensive coordinator. He also held that title in stops at FIU (2012), Montana State (2013-15) and Nevada (2016).

.Graham Harrell, North Texas - Remember what I said about Seth Littrell having an eye for coaching talent. Offensive coordinator Graham Harrell (yes, that Graham Harrell) has helped Littrell turn UNT around by introducing a wide open Air Raid offense. If Littrell moves on after the season Harrell should be the favorite to be UNT’s next head coach.

Travis Trickett, Georgia State - The 33-year old offensive coordinator is known for running an explosive spread offense and is starting to develop a reputation as an excellent recruiter in Florida, too. After guiding two explosive Samford offenses in 2014 and 2015, Trickett became the offensive coordinator at FAU and was in charge of a unit that set school records for rushing yards and rushing touchdowns. Given his familiarity with FAU, Trickett could be in contention for the head coaching job whenever Lane Kiffin moves on.
Let's go after bigger fish and throw out the minnows
Let' go after bigger fish and not net a minnow .

Kingsbury would be a great addition to our staff ! !
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
torbida
Surge

Shaun King was named AAC recruiter of the year and it would be fantastic to bring him in as OC he did run the Rich Rod offense as qb.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

torbida wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:08 pm Shaun King was named AAC recruiter of the year and it would be fantastic to bring him in as OC he did run the Rich Rod offense as qb.
I love Shaun King. Absolutely. Still have a Tulane AND Bucs Jersey of his.

But is he ready to be an OC? He's been an RB's coach for what, two years? And he wants to work at home in Tampa. I just don't know that being Shaun King makes him ready for an OC position at this time.

And lets face it folks, RR is a total pipe dream. Klingsbury probably is too, but more realistic than Rich Rod (whom I would LOVE to have run our offense, but don't think he's taking that step.)

I'm impressed that Coach Fritz is willing to go in another direction philosophically, and hope it's a spread RPO, which will be easy to recruit QB's. That's what the trend is going towards in the NFL. Especially with the inability to drill the QBs.
Last edited by DfromCT on Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
Wave755
Tsunami

Dave breslin wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:18 pm Golf says that Willie is on wwl at 7ish I’ve got Rudolph the red nose reindeer on at 7. Is he replacing Rudolph ? Could wwl be interested in tulane news? Could this mean we get a broadcast station that can be picked up past Claiborne and Carrollton? Could this be the beginning of something really big?
As always WWL has completely ignored the Wave tonight.
Houma de Wave
Swell

To get real, Klingsbury has 2 firm offers from NFL teams.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Houma de Wave wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:31 pm To get real, Klingsbury has 2 firm offers from NFL teams.
So what ....
GreenPuddleSplash
Swell

nawlinspete wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:48 pm
Houma de Wave wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:31 pm To get real, Klingsbury has 2 firm offers from NFL teams.
So what ....
Agreed. Worst thing kingsbury can say is no... worth a shot.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:22 pm
Dave breslin wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:18 pm Golf says that Willie is on wwl at 7ish I’ve got Rudolph the red nose reindeer on at 7. Is he replacing Rudolph ? Could wwl be interested in tulane news? Could this mean we get a broadcast station that can be picked up past Claiborne and Carrollton? Could this be the beginning of something really big?
I was told WWL 870 that Willie was to be on about 720pm ....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
Wave755
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:35 pm
Wave755 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:22 pm
I was told WWL 870 that Willie was to be on about 720pm ....
Didn’t happened, I listened from 7:00 pm to 8:00 pm. As always only the Saints and then LSWho for its “sad” loss to A & M were discussed.
wave97
Swell

Sunamiwave wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:24 pm My optimism about Fritz has skyrocketed after hearing this news. He obviously wants to build something special at Tulane. I know Rich Rod would not be interested in the oc position but I would love to see Fritz get on the phone with him for suggestions on who we should hire along with our offensive philosophy moving forward. Alternatively I would be very interested in hiring an oc from the Mike Leach coaching tree. Someone who could successfully implement the air raid offense at Tulane.
Coach Fritz needs to talk with Mike Leach. I would hire the best available up & coming Air Raid coach as OC material. Fritz's old school RPO combined with elements of the air raid would do wonders for recruiting..
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

wave97 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:57 pm
Sunamiwave wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:24 pm My optimism about Fritz has skyrocketed after hearing this news. He obviously wants to build something special at Tulane. I know Rich Rod would not be interested in the oc position but I would love to see Fritz get on the phone with him for suggestions on who we should hire along with our offensive philosophy moving forward. Alternatively I would be very interested in hiring an oc from the Mike Leach coaching tree. Someone who could successfully implement the air raid offense at Tulane.
Coach Fritz needs to talk with Mike Leach. I would hire the best available up & coming Air Raid coach as OC material. Fritz's old school RPO combined with elements of the air raid would do wonders for recruiting..
why to talk to Leach...talk to the guy who taught Leach...Hal Mumme
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Fantastic news. I’m frankly stunned. I didn’t think Fritz would pull the trigger. This really does suggest that Fritz wants to stay in N.O., and be very successful at Tulane. As everyone on this board knows, with even a slightly better offense we could have been at least 8-4 this season. Apparently Fritz knows it as well. Ed Daniels is probably crying in his soup.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Profoundwizard
Swell

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:05 pm
wave97 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:57 pm
why to talk to Leach...talk to the guy who taught Leach...Hal Mumme
Because Leach does it better
HoustonWave
Tsunami

This will throw a wrench in the yoggie board—can they discuss a fired coach if the season hasn’t ended?
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
RobertM320
Green Wave

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:40 pm This will throw a wrench in the yoggie board—can they discuss a fired coach if the season hasn’t ended?
There were a couple of comments to that effect last night, actually. I stopped over there for the first time in months just to see their take on the bowl situation and Ruse. Nothings changed.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
RobertM320
Green Wave

You have to wonder what happened to Ruse. Was it the two years at Ga Southern, where he tried to incorporate the triple-option into his scheme? If you read his bio from 10 years ago at Arkansas State, he seems like he was doing well. He's been an OC for almost 30 years, and he was even a QB in high school. I really think the GaSo years affected his skills.

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArti ... LID=246324
anEngineer
Riptide

RobertM320 wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:32 am You have to wonder what happened to Ruse. Was it the two years at Ga Southern, where he tried to incorporate the triple-option into his scheme? If you read his bio from 10 years ago at Arkansas State, he seems like he was doing well. He's been an OC for almost 30 years, and he was even a QB in high school. I really think the GaSo years affected his skills.

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArti ... LID=246324
With the option, you often run the same plays over and over, knowing you are going to break a few. That's kind of what happened this year. I think Ruse got into that mindset and couldn't let it go. Something I found odd this year was how few times the QB pulled the ball and ran. It was often successful, especially with McMillen. Did the defensive read dictate that, was it a bad read, was the read poorly coached? We will probably never know.
Show Me
Tsunami

I’ve been quiet lately because Tulane is finally “showing me” its interested in winning. I especially want to applaud our AD Troy Dannen. I wasn’t thrilled with some of our coaching hires but feel in the long run they may all pan out. I have no doubt in my mind that he initiated this OC move. I also believe he had a hand in forcing a move with our pitching coach in baseball. Hands on approach is sometimes needed especially at a school like Tulane where the bar is set so low from years of failure.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I've said all along if we are going to win at this level and especially in this conference we need balance and we need to score a lot of points to win. Glad WF is recognizing that with this move. Here is a recap from when he appeared on the radio yesterday by a poster on another site:

Fritz was on the Kaare Johnson show yesterday on 1280 AM; said Coach Atkins will be the interim OC.
said he wants to beef up the passing game and will find an OC who can provide better balance. He said Tulane will always stress run but wants to be 50-50 in run/pass.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.