Tulane Comes Back To Beat Navy 29-28

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:24 pm Looked like it was going to be a classic Tulane choke job. Navy's D is really bad especially against the pass. McMillan was not throwing well. Running game wasn't going. McMillan finally started hitting our wide open receivers. Unfortunately at the half Navy realized what everyone else already did- just pass the ball. They had been wide open anytime they tried in the first half but Abey was missing them. He found them in the second half. Then for once we came through in the end. YES!!!

IT'S IMPORTANT- PULL FOR TULSA TO BEAT SMU TO LEAVE NO DOUBT WE GO BOWLING. TULSA UP 7-0.

As for McMillan he hasn't proved he's the man yet. His passing is still below par. If he was a good passer he would have been 25-29 and the game would have been a blowout. Hopefully he can get better there but with Ruse as his coach that's doubtful.

The DB coach has to go. They need to get Lionel Washington back. Make him the co-D coordinator and let him straighten the DB's out. We have been leaving guys wide open for three years. It's inexcusable.
Don't forget Teamer went out early in the first half and missed the rest of the game. I think had an affect as well.

"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:32 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:24 pm Looked like it was going to be a classic Tulane choke job. Navy's D is really bad especially against the pass. McMillan was not throwing well. Running game wasn't going. McMillan finally started hitting our wide open receivers. Unfortunately at the half Navy realized what everyone else already did- just pass the ball. They had been wide open anytime they tried in the first half but Abey was missing them. He found them in the second half. Then for once we came through in the end. YES!!!

IT'S IMPORTANT- PULL FOR TULSA TO BEAT SMU TO LEAVE NO DOUBT WE GO BOWLING. TULSA UP 7-0.

As for McMillan he hasn't proved he's the man yet. His passing is still below par. If he was a good passer he would have been 25-29 and the game would have been a blowout. Hopefully he can get better there but with Ruse as his coach that's doubtful.

The DB coach has to go. They need to get Lionel Washington back. Make him the co-D coordinator and let him straighten the DB's out. We have been leaving guys wide open for three years. It's inexcusable.
Don't forget Teamer went out early in the first half and missed the rest of the game. I think had an affect as well.
It might have but they were open every series. Plus it's happened all season long where we consistently lose players and leave them wide open.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

I'm not disagreeing. I think we do need better secondary coaching. But you act like we're no better than 2015, when it was embarrassing to even mention you went to Tulane.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Houma de Wave
Swell

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:51 pm I'm not disagreeing. I think we do need better secondary coaching. But you act like we're no better than 2015, when it was embarrassing to even mention you went to Tulane.
Correct! 4-8 to 5-7 to 6-6. Looking a lot like the Larry Smith era. Let's go to a bowl and bust out next season.
galvezwave
Swell

Tulsa up 21-0 in the 2nd qtr. might secure this thing this evening.

I thought we’d go 7-5. Actually should have won 8 . The biggest problem is the WAY we couldn’t get those 8 wins . I still hate the offensive scheme. Hate it. I do believe that the plays that are called are called out of a lack of trust in the QB and the OL to make the plays . Today , we threw 2-3 balls out of the backfield to the running backs. We threw it once on 1st and 10 that I recall. Progress under WF has been snail pace slow. But it is there. Let’s get some extra work in, win a bowl, sign some more help and shoot for 9+ wins in 2019.
RobertM320
Green Wave

Tulsa just blocked a 35 yd FG attempt by SMU with 15 seconds left in the first half. Its 21-7, Tulsa, going to halftime.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Congratulations to Coach Fritz, staff, and the players. That drive near the end of the game where we scored and made the two point conversion was awesome. I hope being bowl eligible gives us some momentum on the recruiting trail to snag a few high quality players that maybe had us second or third on their list before today.

Also, I have to LMFAO at people like Ed Daniels and his recent article along with others coming onto this board after the game to tell some of us fans how out of line we were to criticize Fritz and his assistants earlier in the season when we were not doing well. That is what fans are supposed to do unless you want to return to the Rick Dickson model of we don’t judge by wins and losses. It is time we install some accountability into this program as fans and criticize when we do poorly and congratulate the coaches and team when we do well. That is what every other Division One school besides Tulane does. Lastly, for the record, even after this win it is crystal clear that Fritz needs to replace some of his assistant coaches on the offensive side of the ball. We will see if Fritz is willing and capable of making the coaching changes that need to be made.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Wave755 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:15 pm :wave: :thumbup: :clap: And, WF deserves to go surfing today!!!
+1
Gutsy win!

ROLL WAVE
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:51 pm I'm not disagreeing. I think we do need better secondary coaching. But you act like we're no better than 2015, when it was embarrassing to even mention you went to Tulane.
I never said that.I said he took over a team that was very poorly coached. He is doing better than that but not as good as most expected at this point.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Sunamiwave wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:28 pm Congratulations to Coach Fritz, staff, and the players. That drive near the end of the game where we scored and made the two point conversion was awesome. I hope being bowl eligible gives us some momentum on the recruiting trail to snag a few high quality players that maybe had us second or third on their list before today.

Also, I have to LMFAO at people like Ed Daniels and his recent article along with others coming onto this board after the game to tell some of us fans how out of line we were to criticize Fritz and his assistants earlier in the season when we were not doing well. That is what fans are supposed to do unless you want to return to the Rick Dickson model of we don’t judge by wins and losses. It is time we install some accountability into this program as fans and criticize when we do poorly and congratulate the coaches and team when we do well. That is what every other Division One school besides Tulane does. Lastly, for the record, even after this win it is crystal clear that Fritz needs to replace some of his assistant coaches on the offensive side of the ball. We will see if Fritz is willing and capable of making the coaching changes that need to be made.
+1,000,000. Exactly. There's another board that exist if you can only handle hearing that all is well all the time.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Houma de Wave wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:56 pm
Correct! 4-8 to 5-7 to 6-6. Looking a lot like the Larry Smith era. Let's go to a bowl and bust out next season.
It is. However to do what he did we'll have to be bringing in an innovative OC like he did with Infante.

Bottoms up Houma. Fun ending. :cheers:
Wave755
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:35 pm
RobertM320 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:32 pm

It might have but they were open every series. Plus it's happened all season long where we consistently lose players and leave them wide open.
+1, we gave up two really cheap touchdowns today on secondary screwups, and if Navy had a better quarterback they could have gotten at least one more really cheap touchdown from our DBs being totally confused and out of the play.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

A great win, but a tough win—it will never be easy being green. McMillan’s best passing game primarily because he slowed his passes down to 80 mph—they were catchable, although we had a couple drops early. Our D front seven played extremely well against Navy’s option. I missed our 3Q collapse, but am not surprised that our secondary cratered—I’m guessing they get little pass defense in practice. Congrats to Fritz for getting us bowl eligible-the hard way.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

Houma de Wave wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:56 pm
Actually Houma, Larry Smith was 2-9 for 1976, 3-8 for 1977, 4-7 for 1978 and then Smith brought Lindy Infante back as OC for 1979 and we went 9-3 beating LSWho at the Dome with the whole world watching. And then, Smith left and A D Hindman Wall refused to hire Infante for head coach (sound familiar?). Our progress under WF has been much more incremental, but I see your point.
Wave755
Tsunami

:D Tulsa 27, SMU 17 with 3:28 left in 4th quarter.
tufinal4
High Tide

WWL reporting Boca Raton and Frisco are leading bowl destinations for Tulane.
Wave755
Tsunami

Final:

Tulsa 27
SMU 24

Mucho gracias, Golden Hurricanes! :thumbup:
tufinal4
High Tide

Poetic justice is served to the ponies
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Bicoastalwave
Riptide

Can we please be happy ?! My god. We’re bowling after a heart pounding win. Let’s worry about coaching changes for next year (which yes I support). I will vomit if I see any more back to back inside handoffs to dauphine.

But seriously, be happy ! As the kids say “you must be fun at parties !” .

For everyone else, Roll a wave ! I’ll be with 10-20 young alums where ever the bowl game is. I will happily buy everyone a beer, but if I hear any negativity I will happily pelt you with my beer.
Eaglewave
Swell

We did it! I told y’all that’s Fritz would get us to a bowl game. Now, I am not to pleased with us almost finding a way to give a 3 win Navy this game, but we fought through it and found a way to win. Yes, we are just 6-6, but it’s better than winning 5 or less games. This team deserves a bowl game after pulling off two big wins this year vs USF and Memphis after losing two other games that had many folks believing that our bowl hopes were over. I am proud of this group.

Willie Fritz was the best hire since Bowden for Tulane. Now that he has the ball rolling in the right direction, we will continue to be a 6+ win team. This next class will help us roll into 7-9 win season soon.
Ball Sumrall!
sader24
Tsunami

Im only judging based on results these days. I said I wouldn’t buy season tickets again until we went to a bowl game. I will be purchasing 2 season tickets next season. This is a positive step, allow yourselves to enjoy it, we have a fairly large surplus of seasons we have not enjoyed.
Bigschtick
Riptide

Dupergreenie wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:23 pm
dpm wave wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:19 pm I just got banned from the other from the other board for the 3rd time.

Double win for me today. :lol: :lol:
Good! There is no reason to celebrate 6 wins. That loser mentality is WHY we have only been to a few bowls. This staff needs a shake up. 6 wins will help keep it intact.
I am in agreement. Its not: "In Fritz we trust". The QB won this game. Not Fritz or his staff. That said, I am very happy for the win and glad for the team!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
Bigschtick
Riptide

Wave755 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:11 pm Final:

Tulsa 27
SMU 24

Mucho gracias, Golden Hurricanes! :thumbup:
Yes, that certainly brightened my Sunday!!!
Speak softly but carry a bigschtick! In Sumrall We Trust!
wave97
Swell

It is easy to slip a slot back past a secondary that has been playing an all out run support.. Coach McCleskey needs to stay.
Congratulations to the staff & players - great win.