Ruse and Banks

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Aegis
High Tide

If arise and Banks have jobs today Willie shouldn’t.

winwave
Top of the WAVE

Drew Brees couldn't QB behind this line and with this play calling. This team has a lot of issues in every phase of the game and especially the coaching.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 am Drew Brees couldn't QB behind this line and with this play calling. This team has a lot of issues in every phase of the game and especially the coaching.
I disagree. The line and play calling is certainly below average but the main failure with Fritz is the inability to recruit and develop the QB position. Between misreads, bad throws and most of all absolutely awful fumbles, Banks has been a disaster and there is no one behind him to legitimately threaten him (at least no one capable of running this offense). In three years all Fritz has done is brought in a cast away JC recruit and a late QB from LSU who really doesn't fit the system.

If you have no QB, you generally have no offense. A better QB would make the line and the play calling look a lot better. We still run the ball pretty well and though there is little depth at WR, we have two legit D1 WRs and actually one of the better 1-2 punches in the AAC. Add in a defense that is certainly bowl caliber and I would say 75% of the offensive problems are on the QB. We are never going to be Oklahoma but even a serviceable QB, capable of making reads, throwing accurately 25 times a game and most of all protecting the ball, and this team is over .500, even with this line and play calling. Just my opinion.

I would like to see what the number of fumbles (for QB's) lead the NCAA. Blake Bortles got benched for two fumbles yesterday, will Fritz do the same. If you emphasize protecting the ball, how can you have your QB fumbling in the absolute worst times.

Hey at least we found a punter.
Wave755
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:43 am
winwave wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 am Drew Brees couldn't QB behind this line and with this play calling. This team has a lot of issues in every phase of the game and especially the coaching.
I disagree. The line and play calling is certainly below average but the main failure with Fritz is the inability to recruit and develop the QB position. Between misreads, bad throws and most of all absolutely awful fumbles, Banks has been a disaster and there is no one behind him to legitimately threaten him (at least no one capable of running this offense). In three years all Fritz has done is brought in a cast away JC recruit and a late QB from LSU who really doesn't fit the system.

If you have no QB, you generally have no offense. A better QB would make the line and the play calling look a lot better. We still run the ball pretty well and though there is little depth at WR, we have two legit D1 WRs and actually one of the better 1-2 punches in the AAC. Add in a defense that is certainly bowl caliber and I would say 75% of the offensive problems are on the QB. We are never going to be Oklahoma but even a serviceable QB, capable of making reads, throwing accurately 25 times a game and most of all protecting the ball, and this team is over .500, even with this line and play calling. Just my opinion.

I would like to see what the number of fumbles (for QB's) lead the NCAA. Blake Bortles got benched for two fumbles yesterday, will Fritz do the same. If you emphasize protecting the ball, how can you have your QB fumbling in the absolute worst times.

On Saturday Banks missed on about a 10 yard pass in the fourth quarter that probably would have put the game away.

Banks is playing out of position, he is not a quarterback.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

What did everyone expect when Banks landed at Tulane?

There are reasons he landed here and not at a P5, however, that being said, his shoulders should not bear the failures of Fritz.
Wave755
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:52 am What did everyone expect when Banks landed at Tulane?

There are reasons he landed here and not at a P5, however, that being said, his shoulders should not bear the failures of Fritz.
WF spend all Spring & Summer saying Banks had a pro-arm and would possibly go high in the draft as a quarterback. But in fairness to Banks, we are where we are the combination of both Banks missing on easy short passes and our wide receivers dropping well thrown balls on big pass plays. A drop cost us the Wake Forest game.

So true, it is not all on Banks but of late his fumbling is really killing us.
wave97
Swell

mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wave97 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:31 pm We had one...
https://southernmiss.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=3887
Come on, he does not fit this system.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We'll have to agree to strongly disagree. To me that's just shallow thinking with all the emphasis on the QB position. The staff wants to come out and run the ball. Other teams know that and then stack the line thus making us one dimensional and having no chance at success. Only throwing in obvious passing situations allows teams to tee up on us. Banks was under duress throughout the game every time he went back to pass. He kept drives alive by scrambling for 1st downs. He got us that TD by force of will.

The line continues to be the worst in D-1 football. Drew Brees literally couldn't be successful behind it. That is where much of the problem lies . On those late fumbles he was trying to elude several rushers who were all around him and the ball got slapped out as he tried to spin away. No one likes turnovers but we had no chance on those plays due to the piss poor line play.

On defense we continue to let players get wide open totally uncovered. It's been going on since this staff got here.

We still don't have a FG kicker.

We come out of the gates slow in many games.

So no we would not be .500 with a different QB. There's lots of blame to go around to all phases. LOTS.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

Aberzombie1892 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:52 am What did everyone expect when Banks landed at Tulane?

I blamed the inability to recruit and develop the position, Banks being the primary example.

You expected five lost fumbles after two years in the system? A 51% completion percentage a senior?

You seem to insinuate that any non-P5 transfer QB is going to be a bust......does that same logic apply to 1st year non-P5 recruits?
wave97
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:35 pm
You're joking, right?
Last edited by wave97 on Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:35 pm

We'll have to agree to strongly disagree. To me that's just shallow thinking with all the emphasis on the QB position. The staff wants to come out and run the ball. Other teams know that and then stack the line thus making us one dimensional and having no chance at success. Only throwing in obvious passing situations allows teams to tee up on us. Banks was under duress throughout the game every time he went back to pass. He kept drives alive by scrambling for 1st downs. He got us that TD by force of will.

The line continues to be the worst in D-1 football. Drew Brees literally couldn't be successful behind it. That is where much of the problem lies . On those late fumbles he was trying to elude several rushers who were all around him and the ball got slapped out as he tried to spin away. No one likes turnovers but we had no chance on those plays due to the piss poor line play.

On defense we continue to let players get wide open totally uncovered. It's been going on since this staff got here.

So no we would not be .500 with a different QB. There's lots of blame to go around to all phases. LOTS.
Those fumbles (including UAB) were garbage. The line stinks and even after stacking the box we still run the ball well. The OL has stunk for the entirety of my 10 years as a Tulane fan. I am not expecting miracles from Banks, but what we are getting is just bad. I don't blame him, I blame the coaches ability to develop and recruit, that's my point. Again, Houston won with a dam WR playing the position and he ran around like a chicken with his head cutoff.
Average QB play and we are above .500 despite the line, play calling and total lack of discipline. We obviously disagree.

It's all a mess. Still could shock the world and go 4-1, so there's that I guess.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wave97 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:41 pm
You're joking, right?
He's a pocket passer. He left the program when we had literally a DIII player as our presumed starter, does that not tell you something?
wave97
Swell

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:46 pm
You're joking, right?
He's a pocket passer. He left the program when we had literally a DIII player as our presumed starter, does that not tell you something?
What "system" do you think he's running in Hattiesburg? Do you know?
He beat out the starting QB, who ultimately transferred to where?
Our system is nothing more or less than a run of the mill rpo.
Our coaching staff has made a big deal out of the vaunted "triple option". It is all nonsense, absolute nonsense.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:43 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:35 pm

Those fumbles (including UAB) were garbage. The line stinks and even after stacking the box we still run the ball well. The OL has stunk for the entirety of my 10 years as a Tulane fan. I am not expecting miracles from Banks, but what we are getting is just bad. I don't blame him, I blame the coaches ability to develop and recruit, that's my point. Again, Houston won with a dam WR playing the position and he ran around like a chicken with his head cutoff.
Average QB play and we are above .500 despite the line, play calling and total lack of discipline. We obviously disagree.

It's all a mess. Still could shock the world and go 4-1, so there's that I guess.
Not one of our QB's has had a chance behind these lines . Then throw in this staff's poor play calling and the QB really has no chance. I'd love to see every person that is laying this on Banks, I know you claim you aren't but you are, have to play a full four quarters behind this line. I'm sure it would end with a retraction.
mbawavefan12
Tsunami

wave97 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:54 pm
You're joking, right?
Our coaching staff has made a big deal out of the vaunted "triple option". It is all nonsense, absolute nonsense.
Abraham has rushed for -53 yards (obviously this must include sacks) in 6 games, last year their QBs rushed for 350 yards (including sacks). Abraham was never touted as a runner.

To answer your question, I have not watched USM but the facts:

1) Abraham transferred from TU despite us having an absolute joke situation at QB
2) USM had two QBs capable of running on last year's roster. One is suspended and one transferred after being beat out by a JUCO with zero D1 starts.

Everything I see talks about route running with USM. They run an RPO but they seem to either hand the ball off or Abraham passes it. Everything I see in Fritz requires the QB to run the ball about 7-10 times a game via the RPO or straight drop back, Abraham would have been destroyed trying to run the ball 7-10 times in the AAC. Not to mention, with our lack of WR depth and OL issues, if we ran a RPO with only two options (RB runs or QB throws) he would get killed as well. Could Fritz have adjusted to Abraham's strengths, I suppose but that was a big risk putting the entire direction of the program into the hands of a 5' 11" freshman with no other big offers.

We need a QB who can make the right RPO call then determine whether to quickly throw or take off. Sounds like a lot but it really isn't that hard to find as you can target undersized smart athletes, something TU should thrive at. (Houston, UCF etc.). Not to mention, I am not asking for Lamar Jackson to walk through that door, but a 5th year senior has to protect the ball and complete easy throws. Again, even average QB play and we are above .500. If the line was better (which is a huge if as TU has never been able to recruit OLs but has been able to recruit the QB position and LA is loaded with athletic QBs) maybe we would be above .500, IDK. Oh, and more than anything, Banks fundamentals are terrible, that's coaching.
Wave755
Tsunami

Of course, as of righr now USM is just 3-3, with two of those wins coming against Jackson State and Rice? :-|
wave97
Swell

Mbawave wrote:
"A better QB would make the line and the play calling look a lot better."
I couldn't agree more. Zone blocking isn't rocket science & it doesn't require a great deal of skill protecting a QB who can identify who's getting the ball in 3 seconds.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:16 am

On Saturday Banks missed on about a 10 yard pass in the fourth quarter that probably would have put the game away.

Banks is playing out of position, he is not a quarterback.
This is very true. In Banks, we have a linebacker playing QB. I honestly think Banks could be a pretty decent linebacker, but he's a terrible QB--for the multiple reasons cited in this thread. I have concerns about McMillan--specifically, his baseball-like wind up and he doesn't seem to be much of a runner thus far. Given this season is in the tank, we might as well see what Ledford can do--maybe he doesn't have the best arm, or the best wheels, or is that big, but who knows maybe he's got some intangibles that will enable him to move the offense (ie Billy Kilmer or Sonny Jurgenson). It's worth noting that both McMillan (Cedar Hill) and Ledford (Argyle) came from premier high school programs that are light-years ahead of Aldine Nimitz, where Banks played. Sadly, I point to the respective high school programs, because none of these three QBs have received good coaching in college--they are coaching orphans. Except for the Tulane seniors that have been playing particularly well (and there can't be many), no seniors should be starting going forward.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

mbawavefan12 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:29 pm
You're joking, right?
Abraham has rushed for -53 yards (obviously this must include sacks) in 6 games, last year their QBs rushed for 350 yards (including sacks). Abraham was never touted as a runner.

1) Abraham transferred from TU despite us having an absolute joke situation at QB
2) USM had two QBs capable of running on last year's roster. One is suspended and one transferred after being beat out by a JUCO with zero D1 starts.

Everything I see talks about route running with USM. They run an RPO but they seem to either hand the ball off or Abraham passes it. Everything I see in Fritz requires the QB to run the ball about 7-10 times a game via the RPO or straight drop back, Abraham would have been destroyed trying to run the ball 7-10 times in the AAC. Not to mention, with our lack of WR depth and OL issues, if we ran a RPO with only two options (RB runs or QB throws) he would get killed as well. Could Fritz have adjusted to Abraham's strengths, I suppose but that was a big risk putting the entire direction of the program into the hands of a 5' 11" freshman with no other big offers.

We need a QB who can make the right RPO call then determine whether to quickly throw or take off. Sounds like a lot but it really isn't that hard to find as you can target undersized smart athletes, something TU should thrive at. (Houston, UCF etc.). Not to mention, I am not asking for Lamar Jackson to walk through that door, but a 5th year senior has to protect the ball and complete easy throws. Again, even average QB play and we are above .500. If the line was better (which is a huge if as TU has never been able to recruit OLs but has been able to recruit the QB position and LA is loaded with athletic QBs) maybe we would be above .500, IDK. Oh, and more than anything, Banks fundamentals are terrible, that's coaching.
No matter how many times you say it you're wrong. We wouldn't be .500 with a different QB. The play calling and the line doom any chances of success. Then join that with the defensive issues and the kicking game issues and the lack of discipline and we wouldn't be sniffing .500 with Brees, Brady or anybody else.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:59 pm
You're joking, right?

No matter how many times you say it you're wrong. We wouldn't be .500 with a different QB. The play calling and the line doom any chances of success. Then join that with the defensive issues and the kicking game issues and the lack of discipline and we wouldn't be sniffing .500 with Brees, Brady or anybody else.
As bad as we are on many fronts, Banks was the difference maker in the UAB and SMU games. As bad as we had played, these two lousy opponents literally kept trying to give the game to Tulane. Without Banks fumbling, we could have won both those games and would be sitting at 4-3, still shooting for a bowl game. I'm not going to even bother with Banks tendency to throw behind and over receivers--his fumbling alone has killed two real chances to pull out a victory despite a lousy overall Tulane performance.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:13 pm
You're joking, right?

As bad as we are on many fronts, Banks was the difference maker in the UAB and SMU games. As bad as we had played, these two lousy opponents literally kept trying to give the game to Tulane. Without Banks fumbling, we could have won both those games and would be sitting at 4-3, still shooting for a bowl game. I'm not going to even bother with Banks tendency to throw behind and over receivers--his fumbling alone has killed two real chances to pull out a victory despite a lousy overall Tulane performance.
Sorry but that's just shallow thinking. You can hate on Banks all you want but behind this line his escapability gives us a chance. The play calling is awful and sets up up for failure. The line play is beyond bad. The defense can't get off the field on 3rd downs and leaves players wide open. We still don't have a FG kicker. The team lacks discipline.This is a poorly coached team that also lacks talent across the board. Lots of blame to go around but like most fans you can only focus on the QB. That's on you.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:07 pm
You're joking, right?

Sorry but that's just shallow thinking. You can hate on Banks all you want but behind this line his escapability gives us a chance. The play calling is awful and sets up up for failure. The line play is beyond bad. The defense can't get off the field on 3rd downs and leaves players wide open. We still don't have a FG kicker. The team lacks discipline.This is a poorly coached team that also lacks talent across the board. Lots of blame to go around but like most fans you can only focus on the QB. That's on you.
Most of us agree with all the failings that you cite. But you continue to fail to see the reality that Banks is the cherry on top of the yucky Tulane football sundae.
Profoundwizard
Swell

The line does suck but I dont understand being a strong defender of Banks right now. His escapability hasn't been anything special this year and any positives it has given us is negated by his carelessness with the football.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:50 pm
winwave wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:07 pm
You're joking, right?

Most of us agree with all the failings that you cite. But you continue to fail to see the reality that Banks is the cherry on top of the yucky Tulane football sundae.
I see that he hasn't lived up to expectations but again what I'm saying is he absolutely does not deserve the lions share of the blame. He just doesn't.