Line Closing Memphis 14.5 pts. > Tulane

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:32 pm
tpstulane wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:27 pm Other teams know what plays we are going to run based on down and distance. Our tendencies are very predictable. We call plays by the “book”. So other teams call their defense based on this. We run on run downs almost all the time.
I agree. I only watch the games, sometimes a second (or in the case of Wake the 1st half a 3rd) time. I can practically call our plays, and I'm sure most here can, too. We need to change things up.
Yet you just advocated to keep doing what we’ve been doing.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:36 pm
Not accurate at all. When we opened up the offense last year is when we rebounded and almost made a Bowl game. After the Wake game we’ve reverted to being run heavy and we are back to losing. We don’t have the line to dictate the game. You’ve even agreed the run blocking isn’t good. We need balance and Fritz has said so. Hopefully he follows through. He’s the one who said Banks is an NFL talent.

I made a prediction and you know as you couldn’t wait for it so you comment on it in that thread. Your obsession continues. LOL.
Lets see about not very accurate: The game after the Wake game was NSU. We passed 16 times, ran it 41 times. UAB was much more balanced at 40 runs 26 passes. We passed successfully last year because teams were gearing to stop the run. Fritz might be re-thinking his balanced approach, it's clearly not working. It's too predictable: run on running downs, pass on passing downs and look at our record in the two games that were closer to a run/pass balance (I'm throwing out OSU). Our only win we were lopsided on the run, and it was a much closer game (admittedly against a mediocre FCS team) than the final score indicated.

I forgot about you're posting a prediction, so I went back and looked it up. You had us 3-1 and very competitive in Columbus.

Go ahead take the last word. Once again, I'll let you have it rather than argue with you.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:31 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:36 pm
Not accurate at all. When we opened up the offense last year is when we rebounded and almost made a Bowl game. After the Wake game we’ve reverted to being run heavy and we are back to losing. We don’t have the line to dictate the game. You’ve even agreed the run blocking isn’t good. We need balance and Fritz has said so. Hopefully he follows through. He’s the one who said Banks is an NFL talent.

I made a prediction and you know as you couldn’t wait for it so you comment on it in that thread. Your obsession continues. LOL.
Lets see about not very accurate: The game after the Wake game was NSU. We passed 16 times, ran it 41 times. UAB was much more balanced at 40 runs 26 passes. We passed successfully last year because teams were gearing to stop the run. Fritz might be re-thinking his balanced approach, it's clearly not working. It's too predictable: run on running downs, pass on passing downs and look at our record in the two games that were closer to a run/pass balance (I'm throwing out OSU). Our only win we were lopsided on the run, and it was a much closer game (admittedly against a mediocre FCS team) than the final score indicated.

I forgot about you're posting a prediction, so I went back and looked it up. You had us 3-1 and very competitive in Columbus.

Go ahead take the last word. Once again, I'll let you have it rather than argue with you.
You're not making sense. We returned to our run heavy offense and beat a FCS team. We have kept to it and lost. Being balanced doesn't equate to being predictable.

We were balanced against a WF team you said was going to win the ACC though it clearly isn't and we pushed them to OT. We went run heavy, 41-16, and beat a FCS. Against UAB we went 40-26 which is still run heavy and we lost to a CUSA team we were favored over even though you swore they'd be a 10 point favorite over us and we lost. Last week we were 42-16 in favor of the run and we know how that ended.

I didn't say we would be very competitive in Columbus. LOL. I said we'd play hard and lose.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
TURVS71
Swell

No if, ands or but’s! This season rests squarely on the shoulders of this coaching staff in this game! We will see what this coaching staff and players have! Lose and Fritz’s coaching and staff and guts of this team has to be questioned.
'Here's a song for the Olive and the Blue"
HoustonWave
Tsunami

TURVS71 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:31 am No if, ands or but’s! This season rests squarely on the shoulders of this coaching staff in this game! We will see what this coaching staff and players have! Lose and Fritz’s coaching and staff and guts of this team has to be questioned.
I completely agree--a huge difference between 2-3 and 1-4. I can still possibly see four wins out of the last seven games, but little chance to win five of the last seven. I'm not hopeful after listening to Fritz's post-OSU, pre-Memphis press conference--a lot of coach speak, undeserved compliments, and nothing bunch generalities. If he knows what needs fixing he isn't saying--on the other hand maybe he doesn't know how to fix it. His comments are getting very CJ-like, lots of excuses and with few specifics.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
Wave755
Tsunami

Line closing Memphis 14.5 pts. > Wave (Rotation nos. 105-106 for Vegas Sheet). http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-foo ... las-vegas/

O/U 66

Chance for rain 30% @ kickoff but clearing by 8:00 p.m. Tonight reminds me of the "Toledo Error" when the Army game was always our "turning point" for the season, And, remember how "Buffet Bob" managed to lose 4 of 5 of those games with his only win coming when Army missed, I believe, a 32 yard field goal with seconds left?

This game is winnable but if we lose tonight I fear the season will be an ugly one indeed with WF and the team looking at perhaps a 4 win season?

Hopefully tonight we will see a performance like for the Houston game last year; If we lose we will then learn whether or not a WF team will quit on him for the rest of the season.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Give WF and his staff credit. They did what they had to do.. Banks through a fit o the sideline, bit McMillan is better. Stay with McMillan!!!!
Last edited by HoustonWave on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wave755
Tsunami

Give him credit, WF’s team don’t quit on him.

And, we saw a performance tonight like for the Houston game last year. 8-)
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Wave755 wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:39 pm Give him credit, WF’s team don’t quit on him.

And, we saw a performance tonight like for the Houston game last year. 8-)
True. Unlike the Toledo and CJ teams (ala Cowen teams). Cowen was a loser.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Stay with McMillan, and conquer the world.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Last edited by HoustonWave on Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:57 pm Stay with McMillan, and conquer the world.
Banks won the game. Deal with it.
RobertM320
Green Wave

DfromCT wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:09 pm
And oh by the way, winwave, where did you have Tulane after 4 games? Did you ever put your neck out and make a season prediction? I had us at 1-3 and finishing 7-5. I now think we'll be lucky to finish 6-6. But I haven't given up.

And I'm sorry, but if we have 185 passing yards and 2 passing TD's and 250+ rushing yards and dominate the time of possession we win this game. If we have 3 consecutive 3 and outs to open the game we get blown out.
I thought this quote was interesting in hindsight. Nice one, D! 178 yds passing, but only 1 passing TD and 318 rushing yards, and a TOP of 39:36 to 20:24. Can't get much closer than that.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
TXWave88
Surge

One thing to remember, we had a LOT of drops tonight that were good throws. McMillan may win the job eventually but I dont think tonight was not the night. Did he throw another pass all night? Banks played a good game and made good decisions. The commentators made some dumb comments about the rpo which showed me they were not very knowledgeable of it. I also think we may have more designed runs vs actual option plays. Maybe I am wrong and they were all options and we made some bad reads. Hats off to the offensive line as well. Our worst run plays were 2 yard gains. We were not pancaking guys but looked like we were sound in assignment and did the job. Also saw us use a cut protection for the first time meaning that you try and chop down the dline for a quick 3 step drop throw. It was effective but dont remember if the pass was completed. From what I saw, Banks played hard and a good game. What I do like from McMillan is that on the td, he knew they brought the house and he got the ball out quick. Banks hasnt shown that. He also brings a more dynamic passing game so you cant load the box as often. It helps when you try and shock him on the first play and you give up a 51 yd td pass.

I can understand if Banks got upset bc he wanted to get back in the game and the coaches held him out bc of injury. If it just bc someone else is playing his spot and we are winning without him and he throws a fit, then thats a problem and isn’t going to help his case with the coaches or the team.
RobertM320
Green Wave

TXWave88 wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:47 am One thing to remember, we had a LOT of drops tonight that were good throws. McMillan may win the job eventually but I dont think tonight was not the night. Did he throw another pass all night? Banks played a good game and made good decisions. The commentators made some dumb comments about the rpo which showed me they were not very knowledgeable of it. I also think we may have more designed runs vs actual option plays. Maybe I am wrong and they were all options and we made some bad reads. Hats off to the offensive line as well. Our worst run plays were 2 yard gains. We were not pancaking guys but looked like we were sound in assignment and did the job. Also saw us use a cut protection for the first time meaning that you try and chop down the dline for a quick 3 step drop throw. It was effective but dont remember if the pass was completed. From what I saw, Banks played hard and a good game. What I do like from McMillan is that on the td, he knew they brought the house and he got the ball out quick. Banks hasnt shown that. He also brings a more dynamic passing game so you cant load the box as often. It helps when you try and shock him on the first play and you give up a 51 yd td pass.

I can understand if Banks got upset bc he wanted to get back in the game and the coaches held him out bc of injury. If it just bc someone else is playing his spot and we are winning without him and he throws a fit, then thats a problem and isn’t going to help his case with the coaches or the team.
No, he didn't throw another pass the rest of the game. We ended with 17 straight runs, of which 3 were victory formation.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
winwave
Top of the WAVE

SEVENTEEN STRAIGHT RUNS TO END THE GAME. That's interesting. So before that the numbers were balanced one would have to admit.
RobertM320
Green Wave

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:35 am SEVENTEEN STRAIGHT RUNS TO END THE GAME. That's interesting. So before that the numbers were balanced one would have to admit.
39-21 before the TD pass by McMillian. Not sure how many of those runs may have been drop backs by Banks that turned into runs, so yes, pretty balanced.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Mooney look like he was afraid of ruining his manicure, by actually catching the ball in the first half
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:35 pm
HoustonWave wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:57 pm Stay with McMillan, and conquer the world.
Banks won the game. Deal with it.
Banks, for all his wonderful play, led us to 17 points in three quarters. McMillan led us to 23 points in one quarter. Deal with it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

You have an agenda against Banks and want to blame him for all of our early woes. Fritz admitted they over coached him and it took away one of the things that really sparks our offense. He used it last night to help us out in third down situations. Then there's the extremely poor line play. And yes Banks was off. But last night when he played without restrictions he threw much better. McMillan played more than a quarter. He threw all of one pass. Our RB's busted some long runs. They did the same when Banks was in. BTW all of our running plays are not RPO's. Especially late we were just handing it off.

There's no sense in arguing about. Banks will be our starter as long as he's healthy. Rightfully so. Deal with it.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:11 pm You have an agenda against Banks and want to blame him for all of our early woes. Fritz admitted they over coached him and it took away one of the things that really sparks our offense. He used it last night to help us out in third down situations. Then there's the extremely poor line play. And yes Banks was off. But last night when he played without restrictions he threw much better. McMillan played more than a quarter. He threw all of one pass. Our RB's busted some long runs. They did the same when Banks was in. BTW all of our running plays are not RPO's. Especially late we were just handing it off.

There's no sense in arguing about. Banks will be our starter as long as he's healthy. Rightfully so. Deal with it.
McMillan played two or three seconds more than one quarter. Eventually McMillan will supplant Banks, as Banks just doesn't have it. We can analyze it all we want, but just look at point production--end of story.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:38 pm
winwave wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:11 pm You have an agenda against Banks and want to blame him for all of our early woes. Fritz admitted they over coached him and it took away one of the things that really sparks our offense. He used it last night to help us out in third down situations. Then there's the extremely poor line play. And yes Banks was off. But last night when he played without restrictions he threw much better. McMillan played more than a quarter. He threw all of one pass. Our RB's busted some long runs. They did the same when Banks was in. BTW all of our running plays are not RPO's. Especially late we were just handing it off.

McMillan played two or three seconds more than one quarter. Eventually McMillan will supplant Banks, as Banks just doesn't have it. We can analyze it all we want, but just look at point production--end of story.
No he won't. He threw one good short pass that Mooney turned into a long TD. Then he handed off the rest of the game and no those were not all RPO's. Banks is the starter as long as he's healthy and most everybody else saw why last night. End of story.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

winwave wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:09 pm

No he won't. He threw one good short pass that Mooney turned into a long TD. Then he handed off the rest of the game and no those were not all RPO's. Banks is the starter as long as he's healthy and most everybody else saw why last night. End of story.
Most of the running plays require our QB to make a decision as to whether to keep the ball or hand off. McMillan made the right decision over and over, as opposed to Banks who usually defaults to "hero ball"--those 4Q TD runs may well have not happened with Banks at the helm. Evidently your quite content with us generating less than 6 points per quarter--which is what were clocking at with Banks. I'd prefer McMillan's 23 points per quarter average. You set a really high bar Winwave.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

HoustonWave wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:09 am
winwave wrote: Sat Sep 29, 2018 5:09 pm

Most of the running plays require our QB to make a decision as to whether to keep the ball or hand off. McMillan made the right decision over and over, as opposed to Banks who usually defaults to "hero ball"--those 4Q TD runs may well have not happened with Banks at the helm. Evidently your quite content with us generating less than 6 points per quarter--which is what were clocking at with Banks. I'd prefer McMillan's 23 points per quarter average. You set a really high bar Winwave.
Like I said all of running plays are not RPO's. Memphis' D-Line was so bad we could right up the middle without much resistance. I didn't realize McMillan scored the safety. As I also said above we broke long runs when Banks was in too. The coaches screwed up by over coaching him not to run. They also screwed up by not being aggressive till game 5. If we had been aggressive like that against WF we would have won. It's a shame we aren't 4-1 and that's on the coaches not Banks. So as you well know I have very high standards for our program. Banks isn't perfect but with our O-Line issues he's just what the doctor ordered. So you can keep hating on him all you want but you are in a lonely place there.
Highwave
Low Tide

Also worth noting, Houstonwave, that you likely mistook Donnie Lewis for Banks. The broadcast never showed Banks lose his cool on the sidelines. Only showed Lewis (also #1) fired up on the sidelines after a big stop.