Line Closing Memphis 14.5 pts. > Tulane

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
Wave755
Tsunami

Spread opens Memphis 13.5 pts. > Wave (Rotation nos. 105-106 for Vegas Sheet). http://www.vegasinsider.com/college-foo ... las-vegas/

Memphis, (3-1, AAC 0-1) “body of work” to date:

1) 9/1 – Memphis 66, Mercer 14;
2) 9/8 – Navy 22, Memphis 21;
3) 9/14 – Memphis 59, Georgia State 22;
4) 9/22 – Memphis 52, So. Alabama 22

Other than Navy, Memphis hasn't really played anybody this season; Ga. St. is 1-3 having beaten only Kennesaw St, and So. Ala. is 1-3 having beaten only Texas State. And, as a side note, please recall infamous "football de-emphasis" President Rufus Harris left Tulane for Mercer; notice how the “Harris Magic” lives-on at Mercer? :lol:
Last edited by Wave755 on Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DfromCT
Wild Pelican

This is the game we better be ready from the first snap. We open conference play against a team that has basically owned us this century. It's time to put up or shut up for Fritz and his (and our) Green Wave. Come out flat here and EVERYTHING they told us this spring and summer was total BS.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The season started August 30th. They should have been ready from the first snap that game against a very beatable team. No excuses.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
Aberzombie1892
Swell

Tulane is going to go from embarrassing itself OOC to embarrassing itself in conference.

That is all.
Jaxwave
Swell

With no pass rush I’d lay points all day. The key is can we run on Memphis to keep up.
Sunamiwave
High Tide

Embarrassing that in year three of the Fritz regime fellow AAC conference member Memphis is almost a two touchdown favorite over Tulane. If things continue to play out the way they have in the early part of the season both Ruse, offensive coordinator and Atkins, offensive line coach, need to be fired at the end of the season.
torbida
Surge

Seems like Fitz is entering Toledo territory with the excuses with rain in the forecast use a two back set run to set up the pass shorten the game no excuse not to be competitive and win in conference
Wave755
Tsunami

Sunamiwave wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:34 pm Embarrassing that in year three of the Fritz regime fellow AAC conference member Memphis is almost a two touchdown favorite over Tulane. If things continue to play out the way they have in the early part of the season both Ruse, offensive coordinator and Atkins, offensive line coach, need to be fired at the end of the season.

Last year Memphis routed us 56 to 26. Memphis has owned us for a long time now. If we were playing at Memphis the spread would be close to 20 points.

This is a big game for the season. A win here and the season is definitely still salvageable.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

I can't believe the spread is this close. Memphis will not show the mercy that Meyer did. Either our team man's up, or this will be the most embarrassing game of the year.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
winwave
Top of the WAVE

The line would probably be bigger but it's hard to tell how good Memphis is with the embarrassingly weak schedule they have played. They lost to the one decent team they played, Navy. They blamed that loss on the weather. Looks like they could be playing in the same weather this week. The wins were against Mercer, Georgia St and South Alabama. It's why they haven't even been getting a single vote for the top 25.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

winwave wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:50 am The line would probably be bigger but it's hard to tell how good Memphis is with the embarrassingly weak schedule they have played. They lost to the one decent team they played, Navy. They blamed that loss on the weather. Looks like they could be playing in the same weather this week. The wins were against Mercer, Georgia St and South Alabama. It's why they haven't even been getting a single vote for the top 25.
yeah they beat a 1-3 South Alabama at home by 17. So basically Vegas is saying we're about a FG better than a traveling, middle-of-the-pack Sun Belt team. And sadly I think most would still lay the points.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Remember—UAB got blown out by Coastal Carolina. We are quite capable of losing to anyone, anywhere.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

HoustonWave wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:19 am Remember—UAB got blown out by Coastal Carolina. We are quite capable of losing to anyone, anywhere.
Houston Wave....you are an extremely insighful and informed poster.....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

This will be the biggest game in WF’s Tulane career. We have a legitimate chance at an upset. But if we can’t pull it off I can see things falling apart real fast. Memphis is beatable but so was Wake and UAB. The bad weather expected may give us a shot.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Dupergreenie
Surge

Honest question fellow Wave fans.... let's say that the season ends and the Wave finishes with a losing record (let's say 4 wins and no real close games like last year)..... do yall think CWF would shake up his staff (getting rid of Ruse mainly and maybe one or two others) or do you think he would basically go down with the ship (Ruse and him have been together for a while if I remember correctly)?
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Memphis' D is suspect. They can be run on and we should get back to the 250 yards rushing Fritz's offense is capable of against an opponent of this quality. But we need our long drives to result in TD's, not unproductive visits to the red zone. As we know, if we're running effectively, it makes mixing in the passes, especially on running downs, that much easier. If we're constantly in 2nd and 3rd and long, it's a losing battle. Limit their offensive opportunities and keep our D fresh. I would love to see us run 70 plays, and have Banks be 14 of 20 for 185 yards and 2 TD's with 250+ rushing yards.

The idea that we have to be a balanced attack has proven to be fruitless with this team. This team NEEDS the running game to be clicking in order to be effective in the passing game.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

We aren't good at running the ball. Dauphine has used his abilities to make some incredible runs which inflate the run stats. We've tried what you're saying for 2 1/2 seasons and it isn't working. Fritz himself has said again in a recent interview that we need to be balanced.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

golfnut69 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:23 am
HoustonWave wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:19 am Remember—UAB got blown out by Coastal Carolina. We are quite capable of losing to anyone, anywhere.
Houston Wave....you are an extremely insighful and informed poster.....
Thanks Golf--just trying to keep up with the rest of you.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

tpstulane wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:42 am This will be the biggest game in WF’s Tulane career. We have a legitimate chance at an upset. But if we can’t pull it off I can see things falling apart real fast. Memphis is beatable but so was Wake and UAB. The bad weather expected may give us a shot.
I completely agree tps. If we can't find a way to upset Memphis, things have effectively already fallen apart--but I get your point, the rest of the season will be long and ugly. In fact, if we don't find a way of beating Memphis, we probably should play out the season with only an eye toward next year--ie play McMillan rather than Banks, and use as many non-Seniors on the OL and DL as possible.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

Dupergreenie wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:52 am Honest question fellow Wave fans.... let's say that the season ends and the Wave finishes with a losing record (let's say 4 wins and no real close games like last year)..... do yall think CWF would shake up his staff (getting rid of Ruse mainly and maybe one or two others) or do you think he would basically go down with the ship (Ruse and him have been together for a while if I remember correctly)?
Great question. We desperately need an offense that realistically recognizes our strengths and weaknesses, and one that is tactically flexible and innovative such that we can respond to what is happening in the game. Ruse has failed on both accounts. I'm afraid the answer to your question is the later--that Fritz will go down with his ship, rather than get a new crew.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Dupergreenie wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:52 am Honest question fellow Wave fans.... let's say that the season ends and the Wave finishes with a losing record (let's say 4 wins and no real close games like last year)..... do yall think CWF would shake up his staff (getting rid of Ruse mainly and maybe one or two others) or do you think he would basically go down with the ship (Ruse and him have been together for a while if I remember correctly)?
No doubt he'd go down with the ship. Dannen would have to force any changes and I doubt he'd do that. If things do go the way you're proposing here both coordinators need to go. We went to the 3-4 last year b/c of a lack of DT's. In a recent interview our DC admitted he didn't really have a handle on that system but knew it better now. The results bring that into question. We recruited the DT position heavily and our best two came in in the spring. We need to go back to the 4-2. We don't have that dynamic player to play the joker role in the 3-4.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:00 pm We aren't good at running the ball. Dauphine has used his abilities to make some incredible runs which inflate the run stats. We've tried what you're saying for 2 1/2 seasons and it isn't working. Fritz himself has said again in a recent interview that we need to be balanced.
BS: We ran significantly more than we passed for 1.5 seasons, then started throwing the ball the second 1/2 of last year WHEN TEAMS GEARED UP TO STOP THE RUN. On the heels of that we've run the ball less and less effectively this year. Get back to what was starting to work.

Balanced offense has put us into 2nd and long and 3rd and long too often this season. This Memphis team can be run on. Fritz's offense works best when running for big numbers. We will agree to disagree on this. But we've seen that trying to take advantage of Banks' passing skills, as you argued pre-season, IS NOT WORKING. And whomever said he was "borderline NFL talent" doesn't know NFL talent. Get back to running first and letting the run set up the pass. Or keep losing winnable games.

And oh by the way, winwave, where did you have Tulane after 4 games? Did you ever put your neck out and make a season prediction? I had us at 1-3 and finishing 7-5. I now think we'll be lucky to finish 6-6. But I haven't given up.

And I'm sorry, but if we have 185 passing yards and 2 passing TD's and 250+ rushing yards and dominate the time of possession we win this game. If we have 3 consecutive 3 and outs to open the game we get blown out.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Other teams know what plays we are going to run based on down and distance. Our tendencies are very predictable. We call plays by the “book”. So other teams call their defense based on this. We run on run downs almost all the time.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

tpstulane wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:27 pm Other teams know what plays we are going to run based on down and distance. Our tendencies are very predictable. We call plays by the “book”. So other teams call their defense based on this. We run on run downs almost all the time.
I agree. I only watch the games, sometimes a second (or in the case of Wake the 1st half a 3rd) time. I can practically call our plays, and I'm sure most here can, too. We need to change things up.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:09 pm
winwave wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:00 pm We aren't good at running the ball. Dauphine has used his abilities to make some incredible runs which inflate the run stats. We've tried what you're saying for 2 1/2 seasons and it isn't working. Fritz himself has said again in a recent interview that we need to be balanced.
BS: We ran significantly more than we passed for 1.5 seasons, then started throwing the ball the second 1/2 of last year WHEN TEAMS GEARED UP TO STOP THE RUN. On the heels of that we've run the ball less and less effectively this year. Get back to what was starting to work.

Balanced offense has put us into 2nd and long and 3rd and long too often this season. This Memphis team can be run on. Fritz's offense works best when running for big numbers. We will agree to disagree on this. But we've seen that trying to take advantage of Banks' passing skills, as you argued pre-season, IS NOT WORKING. And whomever said he was "borderline NFL talent" doesn't know NFL talent. Get back to running first and letting the run set up the pass. Or keep losing winnable games.

And oh by the way, winwave, where did you have Tulane after 4 games? Did you ever put your neck out and make a season prediction? I had us at 1-3 and finishing 7-5. I now think we'll be lucky to finish 6-6. But I haven't given up.

And I'm sorry, but if we have 185 passing yards and 2 passing TD's and 250+ rushing yards and dominate the time of possession we win this game. If we have 3 consecutive 3 and outs to open the game we get blown out.
Not accurate at all. When we opened up the offense last year is when we rebounded and almost made a Bowl game. After the Wake game we’ve reverted to being run heavy and we are back to losing. We don’t have the line to dictate the game. You’ve even agreed the run blocking isn’t good. We need balance and Fritz has said so. Hopefully he follows through. He’s the one who said Banks is an NFL talent.

I made a prediction and you know as you couldn’t wait for it so you comment on it in that thread. Your obsession continues. LOL.