New facilities announcement

The main discussion board for everything Tulane athletics related.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Check the recruiting rankings. I mean really what do you expect them to say. Bottom line is we are way behind and should be making every effort to be caught up. We still can't bring recruits there and therefore none have said iit influenced them.

BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I understand Umbrellas and Sun Block will be available on the upper deck practice field
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
NOLABigSteve
Riptide

mbawavefan12 wrote:What we should be focusing on, IMO, is to get the support assets in place (meeting rooms, offices, new strength/conditioning, nutrition, study rooms, locker room, training rooms etc.) and design the structure to accept an IPF on top once those funds are raised. I think those support assets and the Saints IPF would place us on an even playing field. Then we start winning consistently, expand Yulman then focus on the IPF.
Roll Wave!
Tulane University c/o 2003
Football Defensive End '99, '00, '01, '02
2002 Hawaii Bowl Champions
School of Engineering (Computer Science)
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

winwave wrote:Check the recruiting rankings. I mean really what do you expect them to say. Bottom line is we are way behind and should be making every effort to be caught up. We still can't bring recruits there and therefore none have said iit influenced them.

I guess you didn't watch the videos of players & Coaches after practice at the Saints IPF. You don't think they talk to recruits about how cool it is to practice in an NFL teams' facility? I don't think in your 10,000 posts you've ever conceded a point, so go ahead and take the last word. But I'm not buying it, and neither has the coaches nor the administration.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
winwave
Top of the WAVE

I saw it. Yet again I refer you to our recruiting rankings. It never has worked out for us when we say we don't have to have what others have. As for those in charge they come and go and we're left with the issues. As for your comment about conceding an issue that's the pot calling the kettle black.

To be clear I am thrilled that we are trying to build the performance center to finally give us D-1 weight rooms, meeting rooms , et al. I just would like Tulane for once to go all the way.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
sader24
Tsunami

mbawavefan12 wrote:
sader24 wrote:How much more would it cost to cover the field? It just seems like a Tulane move, so close to having exactly what we need and stop short on an obvious step that would make the whole thing perfect for us. If you're putting a field up there it seems to make no sense to not enclose it and if you don't have or don't think you can get the $$ to do it in the near future just come out and say we have plans to enclose the field down the road but we feel like the other aspects of this building are a more immediate priority, however we are constructing the building to support an IPF on top in the future. Everyone would see that as reasonable I think.

Installing a permanent dome on a structure not designed to accept said dome would be hugely expensive. Plus installing a permanent dome on Yulman would sort of destroy the purpose of moving out of the dome in many ways.

Now Golfnut has talked a lot about inflatable domes and I have spent some time researching them. Again, they only cover the field and not the stands. The costs I have found is $8-$11 per square foot, which I think would be about $300K for an 80 yd by 40 yd field, but someone should check my math. There are also considerable costs to inflate the dome and take it down each year and the dome itself has some serious energy costs as well. However, there are other benefits as other teams and the general student population can utilize the dome as well. Frankly, the dome is used more in cold weather areas, not sure why.

Perhaps an inflatable dome would be a short term fix for Tulane, but I just assume utilize the Saints facility as it is not far and a good recruiting tool. What we should be focusing on, IMO, is to get the support assets in place (meeting rooms, offices, new strength/conditioning, nutrition, study rooms, locker room, training rooms etc.) and design the structure to accept an IPF on top once those funds are raised. I think those support assets and the Saints IPF would place us on an even playing field. Then we start winning consistently, expand Yulman then focus on the IPF. The other elephant in the room is our 3200 seat Bball arena. Lots of work to be done.
I think you misunderstood me. I was talking about enclosing the practice field on top of the new facility not doming Yulman. What would the cost be to make the practice field on top an IPF was my question.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Nice addition here. It’s downstairs next to the Letterman’s Club in Yulman.
https://tulanegreenwave.com/news/2018/9 ... adium.aspx
phpBB [video]
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
Jaxwave
Swell

Guys, what historically gives you any hope that the administration will financially support athletics to the extent need to compete?
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Jaxwave wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:51 am Guys, what historically gives you any hope that the administration will financially support athletics to the extent need to compete?
From the movie "Hole in the Head'
'just what makes the poor little ant, think he can move that rubber tree plant...he has high hopes'

but realization set in..so he ordered a "double' on the rocks
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Is the new grill open to the whole student body, or just athletes? The article mentions two or three times that it's for all students, but then other parts of it contradict those statements: (edited)
Tulane University Opens New Dining Facility in Yulman Stadium
SEP 6, 2018
This new dining room, located on the first floor of Yulman Stadium, is available to the entire Tulane University community.

"We are thrilled to expand our relationship with Sodexo to include the Green Wave Grille in Yulman Stadium. The ability to have a dedicated dining facility for our student-athletes allows us to improve our student-athlete experience while providing optimal service to their nutritional needs. This is a big step forward for Green Wave athletics and our 350 student-athletes," said Troy Dannen, Ben Weiner Director of Athletics Chair.

"Opening the Green Wave Grille allows Sodexo to offer the students of Tulane one more location to dine on campus," said Ron Guillory, vice president of operations for Sodexo.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

DfromCT wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:04 pm Is the new grill open to the whole student body, or just athletes? The article mentions two or three times that it's for all students, but then other parts of it contradict those statements: (edited)
Tulane University Opens New Dining Facility in Yulman Stadium
SEP 6, 2018
This new dining room, located on the first floor of Yulman Stadium, is available to the entire Tulane University community.

"We are thrilled to expand our relationship with Sodexo to include the Green Wave Grille in Yulman Stadium. The ability to have a dedicated dining facility for our student-athletes allows us to improve our student-athlete experience while providing optimal service to their nutritional needs. This is a big step forward for Green Wave athletics and our 350 student-athletes," said Troy Dannen, Ben Weiner Director of Athletics Chair.

"Opening the Green Wave Grille allows Sodexo to offer the students of Tulane one more location to dine on campus," said Ron Guillory, vice president of operations for Sodexo.
It’s open to all students that are on a university meal plan. No different than eating at Bruff only more convenient location for athletes.
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

Having been on campus in April and checked out the old UC, the food options are way better than my undergrad years. Then again, the kids on campus today will say the same thing 30 years from now, I'm sure. When I was an undergrad you could use your meal card at Bruff, which was most common, or you could use it a certain number of times at the other eateries around campus, including Da Rat.

I bought a Loyola meal plan two years! It was much better than what we offered at the time. But I also worked in restaurants, so I ate well.

The Grill looks pretty awesome.
ajcalhoun
Swell

Jaxwave wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:51 am Guys, what historically gives you any hope that the administration will financially support athletics to the extent need to compete?
I'll only answer this once because I don't want to be a constant reminder of doom and gloom.

I do not delude myself. Being stuck as a G5 means that we receive about 1/7th the ammount of money that P5's receive every year. That means that every year we fall another 35-40 milion dollars behind the P5 schools. Every year the gap gets bigger. Every year the finanancial support from the administration needed to catch up gets bigger and bigger. Even if they had the will to do it where is that money going to come from?

AAC Commisioner Aresco's "P6" talk sounds good but nobody is buying it. Without getting into a P5 we will never, ever catch up to the "haves."
God Bless Everyone!
HoustonWave
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:53 pm
I'll only answer this once because I don't want to be a constant reminder of doom and gloom.

I do not delude myself. Being stuck as a G5 means that we receive about 1/7th the ammount of money that P5's receive every year. That means that every year we fall another 35-40 milion dollars behind the P5 schools. Every year the gap gets bigger. Every year the finanancial support from the administration needed to catch up gets bigger and bigger. Even if they had the will to do it where is that money going to come from?

AAC Commisioner Aresco's "P6" talk sounds good but nobody is buying it. Without getting into a P5 we will never, ever catch up to the "haves."
Last edited by HoustonWave on Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
HoustonWave
Tsunami

ajcalhoun wrote: Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:53 pm

Which fully underscores what a disaster Scott Cowen was for Tulane. If we can somehow overcome the effects from his tenure, and that’s a big if, it will take a generation. The PV of the lost revenue will never be recouped.

Cowen himself was the Titanic.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
ajcalhoun
Swell

HoustonWave wrote: Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:48 am
Which fully underscores what a disaster Scott Cowen was for Tulane. If we can somehow overcome the effects from his tenure, and that’s a big if, it will take a generation. The PV of the lost revenue will never be recouped.

Cowen himself was the Titanic.

Absolutely. In the six years since TCU got an invitation to the Big 12 and decided not to join us in accepting a Big East invitation they have received about $150 million more than us.
God Bless Everyone!
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

This may have been posted already somewhere in another thread but it’s in the latest Tulane Magazine Spring 2021
Basically an upgrade of the current academic facility in the Wilson Center.
Same issue Yulman giving another $5 million to Tulane academic side.
https://news.tulane.edu/pr/don-and-lora ... -athletics
The $1 million gift from Don and Lora Peters kickstarts a $2.2 million fundraising campaign to address a substantial infrastructure enhancement to the academic services center which has not received a significant renovation in two decades. The project’s scope and elements are set to be finalized at the turn of the new year with a planned opening in the fall of 2021.
Tulane Class of 1981
NotJtS
Low Tide

The Tanner Lee Center For Players Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too